[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for a new 8" chef's knife for around $150.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: dope_151120_breakfast_online.gif (23KB, 300x289px) Image search: [Google]
dope_151120_breakfast_online.gif
23KB, 300x289px
Looking for a new 8" chef's knife for around $150. Last one was a German knife so I'm thinking of trying something Japanese. Anyone got any experience the different Japanese knife makers and steel types?
>>
I have a Global GF-33. It's been in service almost daily for over 5 years and with regular maintenance and sharpening, still retains an edge that's nearly as sharp as when I bought it.
>>
>>7839214
Globals have shit handles that are slippery as fuck.

Get a Tojiro DP OP
>>
>>7839214
I just can't get over the handle on Global knives
>>
>>7839227

>global handles are slippery as fuck

When will this meme end? They're less slippery than most smooth wooden or plastic handles.
>>
>>7839115
I'd probably go MAC or Richmond for a first time Japanese style blade, but there are HUNDREDS of options. I don't have a lot of experience with different makers, though: MAC, Global, Shun, Tojiro, are all I've used.

chefknivestogo.com
or, y'know, go to a brick and mortar and hold one.
>>
File: HTO-VDSA.jpg (73KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
HTO-VDSA.jpg
73KB, 1500x1500px
I actually just bought a Togiharu V10 Damascus today:

http://korin.com/Togiharu-V10-Damascus-Santoku?sc=27&category=8549828

I'm going from Cutco knives to this so it's really quite the leap. I hope I didnt fuck up too bad. I asked for advice in what to get for a first santoku knife as a non-professional and this was my favorite out of the five or six I looked at, and it was on sale.

Next step will be to improve my knife technique to match.
>>
>>7839478

>or, y'know, go to a brick and mortar and hold one

I've seen MAC knives in an actual store a total of one time, in a higher end store in the downtown of a city full of self-procaimed foodies. When I asked to handle one the person helping me immediately assumed I was in the industry.
>>
>>7839478
What brick and mortar carries Japanese knives that aren't Shun or Global? I've never seen Misono or Tojiro befote.
>>
So for Japanese knives the wobblier and swirlier the blade looks the better, right?
>>
ayyy I got a knife right HERE for you bby can I satab you in the butt?
>>
Anyone use any Yoshihiro knives? I'm kinda interested in what they have.
>>
>>7839502
OK
>>
>>7839575

They have very limited distribution. Was it really that difficult for you to pick up on that?
>>
VG-10 or blue steel?
>>
>>7839502
>>7839519
I don't know what to tell you.
Here's one of many in the Seattle area:

The Epicurean Edge
107 Central Way
Kirkland, WA 98033
(425) 889-5980

You may visit us between 11am and 7pm Tuesday through Saturday and noon to 5pm on Sunday. We are closed Mondays.
>>
>>7839754

>only seen a certain brand of knives in a higher end store in the downtown of a city full of self-procaimed foodies
>posts a higher end store in the downtown of a city full of self-procaimed foodies as proof that it's not hard to find a shop that carries them
>>
>>7839443

Second.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.