[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a noticeable difference between flash frozen fish and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Morel Ikes.jpg (167KB, 423x353px) Image search: [Google]
Morel Ikes.jpg
167KB, 423x353px
Is there a noticeable difference between flash frozen fish and fresh? Do the Japanese have to flash freeze the fish by law like in the US?
>>
some types of fish don't take well to freezing. Mackerel for instance is only good fresh.
Now Tuna on the other hand is flash frozen at sea and some of them sell for more than most cars.
Freezing has advantages for sushi. Kills some parasites that might otherwise get into your system.
>>
>>7795646
You seem to know a decent amount about seafood.
Why do I see people like Gordon Ramsay giving people shit about using frozen seafood on kitchen nightmares/whatever when fucking top quality sashimi grade fish is frozen?

Does he expect there to be a same day supply train going all the way from the middle of the goddamned ocean to some diner in midwestern bumfuck, USA?

Isn't most if not all seafood sold frozen?
>>
>>7795653

There is simply no alternative with fish eaten raw. Most of the salt water fish get Anisakis Complex (worms) and they are nasty. Mackerel too for instance.

I don't buy fresh fish, if there's worms in it I'd rather they not move ... easier to ignore.
>>
>>7795653
I ain't an expert, but if I can attempt to offer an explanation:

As other anon have said, freezing is necessary for sushi. This is because it's eaten raw. For fish that is cooked, freezing should not be necessary, as heat will kill the parasites. However, I think perhaps this is further complicated by the nature of different types of freezing? For instance, flash freezing may be different than freezing something and storing it for a long period in a deep freeze. I'm not sure on that, and I'd research it, but I'm a mobileposter.

As an aside, I've heard from a couple of sushi chefs that you do not actually want fresh fish in your sushi. Fish that has just been caught has no flavor. I used to work at a sushi restaurant, and my boss, after deboning a tuna, would then leave it thawed for a couple of days, apparently to increase the flavor.
>>
>>7795149
>Do the Japanese have to flash freeze the fish by law like in the US?
NO.
>>
>>7795653
Because Gordon Ramsay is a meme-spouting idiot. He also advises people to check the doneness of a steak by comparing the texture to that of people's hand muscles and face fat.
>>
>>7797582
Which never worked.
You literally just have to cook meat once or twice and you'll have the knowledge to cook them appropriately.

I learned real fast when I started shooting water out of my ass. That was chicken but it still taught me the basic principles of "this is not supposed to happen when you cook food."
>>
>>7797544

Have to, no ... but your guests getting eaten up from inside is bad PR. So even Jiro uses frozen fish.
>>
>>7797596
This poster isn't referencing doneness in a "cooked or not" manner just fyi
>>
Just about any sushi chef I've ever seen talk about it has said that you do not want the sushi to be perfectly fresh.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.