[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Soup General How to make soup like pic related? Carrot &

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: carrot and coriander.jpg (80KB, 612x816px) Image search: [Google]
carrot and coriander.jpg
80KB, 612x816px
Soup General

How to make soup like pic related? Carrot & Coriander soup.

I've been eating €1 pots of this stuff from Iceland but want to turn it into a daily thing because I love it so much.

Going too LIDL tomorrow, what should I pick up?

So far all I can think of is: stock cubs, carrots

Can I throw some celery in there for the craic?

Does soup contain milk?

I've looked at the ingredients at the back of pot and there are like 20 things, not going to recreate it exactly just want the basic idea of a carrot-based soup with accessible ingredients.
>>
A dried bean or lentil or something to bulk it up to make it more filling and last longer.
>>
Thickeners, Gums, Waxes, I think I've seen some with carageenan even
-Shitloads of oil, especially hydrogenated which also gives it a thicker consistency

Soup that is thick should be chunky and idk how much emulsifiers are but I'd say that's your healthiest bet at matching the thick consistency, idk how starches work in soups

Potato flakes work well but honestly I hate the texture they add, I just do my soups watery
>>
Saute some onions with the coriander. Throw in diced carrots and top with chicken or vegetable stock. Simmer until everything is tender and hit it with the immersion blender, or use a regular blender if that's all you have. Season with salt and pepper, and if you want add a splash of cream. You can also top it with a spoon of creme fraiche when you serve it.

You can experiment with other spices/seasonings, but that's how you make a basic soup like that.
>>
>>7785332
>>7785354
>>7785355
Oh boy, shoulda checked back before shopping. I just picked up some onions, carrots, leek and celery in LIDL, have vegetable stock cubes at home. Don't fancy the idea of putting olive oil in even if it does thicken it up. Should it work if I just blend all this stuff together?

Unfortunately no coriander in LIDL. I suspect it won't taste as much, so maybe I just won't use as much water.

Thanks for the input. I'll try make something closer to what you lads have suggested next time.
>>
>>7787554

What spices do you have on hand?

You can basically just do this >>7785355 using things other than coriander. There are many options available, and the only way you could fuck it up is by under seasoning.
>>
>>7785199
Does that ' ' taste as good as it looks?
>>
>>7787621
ground black pepper, various chilis, garlic, cinnamon and 'Mixed Herbs' (which I've never tried). And salt ofc.

I guess I'd just be using the salt, black pepper, 'Mixed Herbs' and maybe garlic then.
>>
>>7787554
You won't taste the olive oil in the end product, assuming you're sauteing your onions in a reasonable amount of oil.
>>
>>7785199
>General
>>
>>7785354
>>7787554
Oil is not a thickener unless you also have an emulsifier. Soup is served hot so the fat just floats on top... I don't get that suggestion.

A good thickener is mashed potato powder, obviously you use much less than what you would for mashed potatoes. It does the job of refined potato starch but has a light potato taste (assuming you want that). The true way is to cook a real potato in the soup and blend it all up
>>
>>7787647

I'd add pepper, garlic, a little cinnamon, and maybe a bit of chili. Saute all that with the onions, add the carrots, and cook until everything is soft. Then blend and taste. The stock cubes are really salty so you might not even need to add anymore salt.
>>
>>7787663

*cover with stock made from stock cubes and cook until everything is soft
>>
>>7787663
ok thanks, I'll try it tomorrow, too tired tonight.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.