[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I make the best macaroni and cheese possible? Can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 196
Thread images: 20

File: MacNcheese.jpg (56KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
MacNcheese.jpg
56KB, 800x600px
How do I make the best macaroni and cheese possible? Can't explain why I'm asking, but I need to make it great. Do I get pretentious and throw bread crumbs/bacon bits in there? Do I mix in some different types of cheese? Help me /ck/
>>
butter the noodles then melt in sharp cheddar tastes good if you don't mind not having a real sauce and are autistic
>>
Bechamel sauce, onions minced real fine

A little bit of smoked paprika, dry mustard and maybe onion/garlic powder

Bake

That's all you need
>>
>>7726636
okay thank you for the zero effort totally opposite of best mac n cheese possible zero thought totally useless post bro
>>
>>7726667

glad I could help. good luck with your mac and cheese date
>>
>>7726679
Im OP, that wasn't me that replied to you. And it's not a date it's more important than that
>>7726656
I'll keep this in mind thanks
>>
make a cheese sauce
milk, heavy cream, butter, salt, pepper, cheese
put various cheese if you want (if you think they taste good together)
you can throw in stuff like bacon if you want.
other stuff works too like onions or tomatoes or meat, but then it becomes more of a pasta dish rather than mac n cheese
sprinkle breadcrumbs on top, rather than mixing them in
>>
>>7726622
make a bechamel sauce and add cheese (probably smoked cheddar or something)
simultaneously cook macaroni in salted water
add a few tbsp pasta water to sauce
put noodles in sauce and mix and transfer to individual oven safe bowls
make a cap out of bread crumbs, fine shredded cheese, paprika, black pepper, red pepper, salt
bake lowish (250-300 I guess) until cheese cap is ready

protip
>I've never made it so the measurements aren't quite there, but the technique is
>>
>>7726694
at least that's what i do
>>
http://www.food.com/recipe/president-reagans-favorite-macaroni-and-cheese-12592
>>
>>7726761
I wouldn't be caught dead doing *anything* Reagan would've approved of
>>
>>7726767
please return to the site you migrated from.
>>
>>7726767
>>7726778
If this is going to devolve into political shitstorm I will just delete the post. C'mon guys, it's mac & cheese for fuck's sake.
>>
I've been called weird for this before but I always put just the tiniest splash of diet coca cola in my mac n cheese. Like I said, only a TINY splash for a pan full of mac and cheese really adds a hard-to-define twang to the cheese flavor
>>
Water, to boil macaroni
Salt, to season water
Macaroni, dry, 500g/1lb
Cheese, 1kg/2lbs
>any not-too-stringy, melting cheese is fine
>cheddar, gouda, gruyère etc or a mix of these
Bechamel sauce, 1 litre/quart
>ask for instructions if you don't know how to make bechamel sauce

Put water and salt into a pot and bring to the boil.
Add macaroni and cook to just under desired doneness; meanwhile, run the cheese through the shredder.
Set a quarter of the cheese aside.
Drain the pasta well and pour into a baking dish.
Add the cheese, save that quarter set aside earlier, and mix.
Top off with bechamel sauce.
Top off with remaining quarter of cheese.
Bake at 180°C/350°F until bubbly and heated through.
Allow to sit a bit before serving.
Serve.

Variations:
Try adding shredded ham and/or caramelised onions in with the cheese when mixing it with the pasta.
Try topping with buttercrumb and/or crisp-fried onions mixed with the cheese topping or directly on top of it.
Try using smoked cheeses for a twist.
>>
>>7726821
You do this with Kraft, right?
>>
>>7726825
No, I make homemade mac n cheese once every week or so. Kinda looks like the pic in OPs post
>>
>>7726622
Slice half pound of bacon render it down until crispy

remove bacon and add one diced onion, sweat until translucent.

Add 2 cloves garlic let it cook for about half minute then add 3 tablespoons of butter melt

Now add 3 tablespoons or so of flour. Mix that shit up good until it light brick colored

Slowly whisk in a cup and a half of whole milk, pour a little in whisk like crazy until no lumps then repeat with a little more until it is all in there

Add a handful of Sharp cheddar. Then another then another until it is as cheesy as you like if it gets too thick add more milk

Add a teaspoon of all bay

I use rigatoni instead of elbow macaroni but whatever boil that shit while you are making the cheese sauce with salt in the water

Get a bowl add the pasta, then add the cheese until you like the cheese pasta ratio.

Then add the bacon you cooked earlier mix it up too.

Now add a handful of stilton or blue cheese. Mix lightly

Pour into a greased glass dish

Throw a stick of butter in a bowl melt it in the microwave. Add a couple handfuls of panko break crumbs then scatter over the top

Bake at 350 until the top of break crumbs are golden brown

About 20 min

Let cool for at least ten minutes then serve

Jalapeno is also a nice addition. Make sure and add the blue cheese crumbles last so it is in little pockets here and there not homogenized into the rest of the cheese sauce

I don't use measurements when I cook just go with what it should look/taste like
>>
>>7726869
Ohh ment a teaspoon of old bay seasoning. Sorry I'm about 10 beers in right now.

If you want to get really fancy Google truffle oil Mac and cheese and blow you money on that

The one I posted is what a make for my kids once in awhile, cause of the fat content
>>
Thanks for the help /ck/, I'll be sure to keep all of this in mind
>>
>>7726767
You have to go back
>>
>>7726622
just tellem scorpy sent ya
>>
Make sure the pasta isn't too squishy or overcooked. The main cheeses I use are swiss, cheddar, cream cheese, and mozzarella, but usually just use whatever cheeses I can find in my house. Always start with a bechamel sauce, add two teaspoons of smoked paprika and a can of a pale beer before you add the cheeses. After the sauce is made, let it simmer for half an hour and stir it. Incorporate the noodles with the sauce in a deep baking dish, top off the noodles with more cheese, and broil for 5 minutes. Add sauteed panko bread crumbs if you want to get fancy.
>>
I made a white cheddar mac and cheese and had a bit of lump crabmeat leftover that I threw in.

It was delcious. I added some Creole seasoning too.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coYqrXsDPdU

This is the best mac and cheese recipe I've found, you can add other stuff to build off of it
>>
>>7728042
can confirm this comes out pretty good, although a few of the ingredients might be a little much. (I don't think the mustard really adds all that much)

>I'm done with salt to taste, put in a tablespoon, don't question it
gets me every time
>>
What are the best noodles to use?
Or is the only true way to make your own?
>>
>>7726622
Just make it the usual way (macaroni + cheddar mornay) but use the best ingredients you can get - fresh pasta, imported cheddar, the works.
>>
>>7726622
Macaroni and cheese?
Looks like 'cago 'roni 'nd 'eese to me.
>>
>>7728415
I don't think that there's any brand of pasta that's better than the other. As long as you don't initially overcook it, it should be fine. It's the sauce that really matters anyways.
>>
>>7726622
is it true that I can homogenise cheese and milk with citric acid?
>>
>>7728493
Not quite. You're thinking sodium citrate, which is a salt of citric acid but not citric acid itself in much the same way table salt, sodium chloride, is a salt of chlorine but not chlorine itself.
But yes. sodium citrate is used both as an emulsifier as well as to allow cheese to melt without exuding its grease everywhere.
>>
>>7726698

Yeah I'm pretty similar except I do a white sauce and throw grated cheese in it.
>>
>>7726656
so macncheese without cheese?
>>
>>7726694
this what i do too
>>
>>7727958
oh shit whaddup
>>
>>7726622
>Can't explain why I'm asking,

Thats ok, you arnt in a place where you have to justify that.
>>
File: 1453391258333.jpg (45KB, 615x346px) Image search: [Google]
1453391258333.jpg
45KB, 615x346px
>>7726778
Reagan was a terrible president and a puppet for racketeering like both Georgies
>>
>>7726622
Make a delicious creamy cheese sauce, pour over macaroni.
>>
>>7729888
Except that it's generally seen as he was a great president by dems and repubs. The people who hate him are angry liberals who honestly don't know why thy hate him so much or when pressed give very emotional halfbaked reasons that are supported by often said but seldom verified talking points.

>sits back with popcorn.
>>
>>7726692
>And it's not a date it's more important than that
OP's going to propose over a dinner of Mac-n-cheese.
>>
>>7726622
Try different cheeses, and make sure you add nutmeg. Nutmeg really compliments cheesy dishes like m&c and alfredo.
>>
>>7729929
>Implying there's a better meal to propose >over.
>>
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/glam_mac_and_cheese_92848

Fight me
>>
>>7729938
>
>>
Put some sriracha in it.Any hot sauce could work t bh but sriracha is just sweeter
>>
>>7726622
Cook box of mac, use salt in water. In another pot add 1 cup milk, half stick butter, 1 cup parmesan cheese, 2 cups sharp cheddar, and 1 of pic related. Melt. Drain mac, pour into baking dish or disposable baking pan. Pour in cheese and mix. Cook 1.5lbs bacon till almost done, use food processor to turn into bits. spread over top of mac. Put into smoker for 1-1.5 hours use a mix of 80-20 hickory to apple wood.
>>
>>7729970
Just noticed that said 6lbs. Obviously don't use that much. Ones I buy at the store are 6 oz.
>>
Melt 2 cups velveeta 1-4 cup milk or to liking. Salt pepper to taste.

Use shells. Extra cheese if want.
>>
>>7729920
>Starts war for private interests, primarily profit
You don't really need to write a novel to get the concept. War started for so a select few people get a shitton of money.
>>
>>7726821
holy shit I thought I was the only one. Just a splash in the pot! People love my MnC but I usually don't tell
>>
File: lindsay78.jpg (7KB, 189x267px) Image search: [Google]
lindsay78.jpg
7KB, 189x267px
I'm partial to Alton Brown's stove top mac and cheese though I fudge on the measurements because what he calls for never matches the containers (e.g. condensed milk) and I always add more cheese and use the whole box of elbows.

http://www.food.com/recipe/stove-top-mac-n-cheese-by-alton-brown-313325
>>
Add sauteed mushrooms and onions
>>
>>7726622
Cook noodles (I like medium shells), make bechamel sauce, add cheese, bake.
>>
>>7730204
This, but put some buttered panko on top before you bake it.
>>
>>7729954
Please god no, take it away. Take it away! *curls up in fetal position haunted by dinners of childhood*
>>
>>7728042

he thinks thomas jefferson invented mac and cheese

recipe sounds okayish, don't like cheddar in cheesesauce
>>
>>7726622
Good cheese in the mornay, quite literally all there is to it
>>
>>7726622

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/10/the-food-labs-ultra-gooey-stovetop-mac-cheese.html

But personally, being european, I would focus on just making a great alfredo sauce..
>>
>>7729489
Oops, I forgot the most important part kek
>>
Bechamel. Cheese (preferably sharp cheddar and parmesan). Pasta in with a bit of starchy water. Eat.

You can bake it if you want. Add buttered breadcrumbs and cheese. The end.

Everyone that does more than this is retarded. It's M&C and it's simple.
>>
>americans thinks macaroni with cheese constitutes cuisine
>>
>used rigatoni noodles once, doubled up on cheese powder and threw out boxed noodles

wasteful but flavortown ensued
>>
>>7732271
That's because it is.

cui·sine
kwəˈzēn/
noun
a style or method of cooking, especially as characteristic of a particular country, region, or establishment.
"much Venetian cuisine is based on seafood"
synonyms: cooking, cookery, food, dishes
"authentic Vietnamese cuisine"
food cooked in a certain way.
plural noun: cuisines
"we spent the evening sampling the local cuisine"
>>
brown the butter. it adds a fantastic flavor. I also like to add sour cream at the end when I take the pot off the heat. the amount you add is personal preference

>>7730172
yeah, that's a pretty good recipe and it's quite foolproof.

>>7732147
I made that one once and I'll never do it again. it felt like I was taking a bite out of a stack of kraft singles. I can't remember the changes that I thought would help, but I imagine at the very least it'd include reducing the american cheese by half or more. it was super creamy though, but it was difficult to eat.
>>
>>7730172
So I checked this out and I think I'll try to make this but do you really need hot sauce?
>>
>>7729929
>bound together in holy Macaroni
>>
>>7732995

just a dash or two of hot sauce
don' make it crying hot
just a dash, like you're shaking black pepper into it
>>
>>7733009
Took me a second kek. You lame faggot.
>>7733026
I didn't think it would make it hot which is why I was curious.
Interesting, now to choose the sauce. Frank's red hot maybe?
>>
>>7726622
buy a box of frozen Stouffer's mac and cheese, bake, throw it on the floor and get down on your hands and knees a snuffle it off the floor like the fucking pig you are, you disgusting cunt.
>>
File: 2n84l7v.jpg (62KB, 590x242px)
2n84l7v.jpg
62KB, 590x242px
>>
>>7728042
that much cayenne
no idea what sort he is using but that mnc is going to burn your face away
>>
Do the Chef John recipe with Worcester Sauce & dried Thyme, works in so many ways.
>>
my dad used to make shells and cheese and peas and liked to tell us it was best when each slippery shell got a single pea in it, he called it a little man in a boat
>>
>>7732375
He's exactly implying that it isn't cooking or fit to eat, autismoman
>>
>>7734332
I see what he did there.
>>
>>7732995
>>7733092

you don't need hot sauce. just try it if you have some on hand and are so inclined.
>>
>>7726622
>How do I make the best macaroni and cheese possible?
make a roux, add milk, cheese, and noodles

FUCKING DONE
>>
File: IMG_2775.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2775.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Like this
>>
>>7734420
>make a roux, add milk, cheese, and noodles
And ground mustard. Possibly sauteed/caramelized/green onion. Maybe a few drops of hot sauce.
>>
>>7734450
No.

There is literally no need.
>>
>>7726622

>boil noodles until tender, about 15-20 minutes
>add loaf of velveeta
>cook until melty
>>
>>7734458
You don't "need" to eat anything that tastes good.
>>
>>7734463
I believe in making the basics as perfect as possible. Adding hot sauce to mac n cheese can be nice from time to time, but should never be an essential ingredient.
>>
best mac and cheese i ever made was an easy mac cup
try that
>>
>>7734469
True, but that's why I said possibly onion and maybe hot sauce.

I think the ground mustard is essential though, that's one thing I always add.
>>
>>7734495
But why? Do you use subpar cheese? Mustard sounds very much like "muh sekret ingredient" to me.
>>
>>7734505

mustard adds an element to the flavour of the dish that cheese doesn't contribute, it's also an effective emulsifier.

>Mustard sounds very much like "muh sekret ingredient" to me.

if you're ridiculously sheltered i guess, it's very commonly added to cheese and other rich sauces.
>>
>>7734505
No, I use good cheese. It just compliments the flavor of the cheese, cheese and mustard is a common pairing. It's not enough to blatantly taste mustard, but when I've run out of ground mustard a few people have noticed it's not as good and can't figure out why.
>>
I like to make breadcrumbs out of a crushed old ciabata or other crusty rustic bread. I mix in some flaked parmesan and a pinch or two of rosmary with a fair bit if butter and some pepper. It's fucking buff ting.
>>
>>7734523
>can't figure out why
literally sekret ingredient
>>
File: WP_20160128_18_53_23_Pro.jpg (836KB, 3072x1728px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160128_18_53_23_Pro.jpg
836KB, 3072x1728px
>>7734527
But usually I use a medium cheddar, parmesan, double Gloucester, and have a layer of mozzarella, usually comes out like this
>>
>>7734450
>>7734469
hot sauce should be added when served if you want it.
>>
>>7734530
Yeah not really, it's just people who don't cook often aren't able to pick out flavors in a dish.

You're quite the memester.
>>
>>7734542

>hot sauce should be added when served if you want it.

why

why do so many people say 'should' in the context of cooking. that's only something it makes sense to use in the context of producing a specific desired result.
>>
>>7734545
Either people notice a missing essential ingredient or they don't, and it's not essential.
>>
>>7734666

>Either people notice a missing essential ingredient or they don't

obviously a dumb simplification
>>
File: trashman.jpg (31KB, 352x450px) Image search: [Google]
trashman.jpg
31KB, 352x450px
>>7734688
>forgetting the last, very important part of my quote
>>
>>7734702

important in what sense? i was taking it as a conclusion from the premise of the first part. sometimes people don't notice a missing essential ingredient.
>>
Whatever recipe it is it doesn't matter, to make your macaroni divine you must sprinkle goldfish on top once the cooking process is complete. Thank me later ;)
>>
>>7734709
They always do if it's essential.

>hmmm, this mac and cheese tastes weird... I can't put my finger on it, but it might be the lack of pasta
>>
a little bit of Velvetta in your white sauce based cheese sauce.

just a little.
>>
>>7734722

>They always do if it's essential.

that's not true and your example just further illustrates that it's a dumb illustration. an ingredient might be discernible due to one or a combination of its aroma, texture, visual appearance or taste, and some of these aspects may not be readily apparent especially to people who don't know the dish or the ingredient very well. like someone eating a gumbo might have no idea there's a dark roux in it.
>>
>>7734735
Real gumbo is made with (and thickened with) okra, you ingrate.
>>
>>7734751

what am i ungrateful for?
>>
>>7734751
wrong.
Gumbo comes in two distinct styles: one thickened with okra, and one thickened with sassafras root. Guess which one is fucking patrician. The dark roux goes in both versions.
>>
>>7734760
You're ungrateful for the generous wisdom I bestow upon you.

>>7734763
Roux is not in traditional gumbo. Gumbo originated in Africa, not France.
>>
>>7734768

but it wasn't yet gumbo when it 'originated' in africa. its 'origins' were manifold.
>>
>>7734775
This.

>>7734768
Lrn2gumbo, son.
>>
>>7734775
>>7734779
>Gumbo is a stew that originated in southern Louisiana during the 18th century. It consists primarily of a strongly-flavored stock, meat or shellfish, a thickener, and the Cajun holy trinity of vegetables, namely celery, bell peppers, and onions. Gumbo is often categorized by the type of thickener used, the vegetable okra, the Choctaw spice filé powder (dried and ground sassafras leaves), or roux, the French base made of flour and fat.
>or roux, the French base made of flour and fat
>or roux
>or
Again, not essential. The origin of the dish was with okra, and if someone is eating gumbo, they know if it's not thick, thus missing an essential ingredient.

Eating mac and cheese without goddamn fucking mustard won't raise alarm bells like a thin fucking gumbo, you twits.
>>
>>7734786
Dark roux IS essential if you want your fucking gumbo to have actual depth of flavor and not just be vegetable meat water thickened with fucking okra slime.
You're a fucking pleb. GTFO.
And, in case I wasn't clear, File powder is the patrician choice.
>>
>>7734786

> The origin of the dish was with okra

this is very flawed historical thinking. the thing it 'came from' is not the thing it is.

>Eating mac and cheese without goddamn fucking mustard won't raise alarm bells

it is a fair point to bring it back to the original subject of the argument, but i should clarify that i'm only disputing your reasoning about what makes an 'essential' ingredient. it is not always apparent to the layman or even people of a slightly higher knowledge level. there are 'essential ingredients' in all kind of dishes that aren't as easy to find as a bit of pasta in a cheese sauce.
>>
>>7734792
>vegetable meat water
You mean stock? Are you really this new to cooking?

>>7734796
>i'm only disputing your reasoning about what makes an 'essential' ingredient. it is not always apparent to the layman or even people of a slightly higher knowledge level
No, my point is that comparing a thickening ingredient in a thick stew to mustard in mac and cheese is absurd. The essential ingredients to mac and cheese, as I originally stated are as follows:
>roux
>milk/cream
>cheese
>pasta
Anything else may be welcome, but is by no means necessary. Often times young cooks overly complicate dishes to hide the fact that they utterly suck at making the basic dish.
>>
>>7734807
>You mean stock?

That's not what stock is and not what that was in reference to, you goddamn retard. You're moving goalposts to try and make your idiotic argument relevant.
>>
>>7734807

>No, my point is that comparing a thickening ingredient in a thick stew to mustard in mac and cheese is absurd

no it isn't. for a start, you list 'roux' as an essential ingredient in your mac and cheese recipe. it's not in a lot of mac and cheeses. it's not in kraft mac and cheese. and the dark roux in gumbo is far from just a thickener. you've pursued this tangential argument about gumbo because you aren't willing to engage with the core reasoning: that things which change the essential character of the dish aren't always readily discernible.

>Often times young cooks overly complicate dishes to hide the fact that they utterly suck at making the basic dish.

fine, but saying that about mustard is just getting on a seriously ropey looking high horse.
>>
>>7734824
>vegetable meat water
How is this not the very definition of stock, fag?

>things which change the essential character of the dish aren't always readily discernible
They are to most. You used a poor example if you thought thin gumbo would not be noticeable.

>fine, but saying that about mustard is just getting on a seriously ropey looking high horse.
Mustard simply is not essential to good mac and cheese. When I was younger, I thought even paprika and garlic could make mac and cheese better. As it turns out, good cheese, good thickener, and fresh milk is all it takes.
>>
>>7734840
>>vegetable meat water
>How is this not the very definition of stock, fag?

WE AREN'T TALKING ABOUT STOCK, YOU GODDAMN MORON. You are switching back and forth, trying to justify your shitstain opinions, THAT is my point. You are still wrong about gumbo and the importance of the dark roux.
>>
>>7734845
Holy shit. It's like I'm talking to a fucking wall.

DARK ROUX IS NOT AN ESSENTIAL INGREDIENT IN GODDAMN FUCKING GUMBO, YOU INBRED NIGGER.

You made gumbo sound like less than it is by calling the stock "vegetable meat water". I pointed out to your dumb-ass that "vegetable meat water" is the definition of stock. It's like saying "overcooked butter flour" for your precious dark roux.
>>
>>7726899
>Throw a stick of butter in a bowl melt it in the microwave.
and than?
>>
>>7734840

>They are to most. You used a poor example if you thought thin gumbo would not be noticeable.

i think the example illustrates the point fine. even if we have to limit the definition of gumbo to a specific variant, it's still thickened and flavoured with something not everyone will be readily able to discern. this does actually apply to most dishes. 'essential' ingredients can be obvious and they can be relatively subtle. a simple point and one i don't think you're getting around.

>Mustard simply is not essential to good mac and cheese.

i personally don't disagree, you obviously don't need to make a mac and cheese with mustard. but being restrictive about what's 'essential' whilst still committing to a specific variant (your roux-thickened mac and cheese) and clamping down on other subtle variants in seasoning and so on is stupid. it's why you get autists coming in here talking about how bechamel is only bechamel when there's a clove studded onion and bay in there according to escoffier or whatever. it's near-sighted and pretentious.
>>
>>7734920
>if we have to limit the definition of gumbo to a specific variant, it's still thickened and flavoured with something not everyone will be readily able to discern.
Everyone will know if it's stock. Thick and with stock is very different than "there's a dash of mustard powder XDDD"

> but being restrictive about what's 'essential' whilst still committing to a specific variant (your roux-thickened mac and cheese) and clamping down on other subtle variants in seasoning and so on is stupid
No, it's stupid to ignore the fact that every basic dish has basic ingredients.
>>
>>7734852
You are fucking moron.
Are you so fucking thick-skulled? YOU ARE WRONG. DARK ROUX IS ESSENTIAL.
God, I bet your gumbo is fucking abysmal, and so is your mac and cheese. You're probably Irish Soda guy in disguise. Fuck off with your shitty food opinions, you goddamn dumbass.
>>
>>7734938
I bet you think bacon is an essential seasoning, too.
>>
>>7734931

>No, it's stupid to ignore the fact that every basic dish has basic ingredients.

no one is doing that.

>Everyone will know if it's stock. Thick and with stock is very different than "there's a dash of mustard powder XDDD"

i don't know what you're talking about at this point. i don't know where this whole stock discussion came from, it's a tangent that doesn't change the thread of critical thinking. the mustard in a mac and cheese, in even small quantities, makes a difference to its taste. if you can't discern it that's fine, it still makes a difference.
>>
>>7734948
>i don't know where this whole stock discussion came from
When you or some other faggot called stock "vegetable meat water".

>the mustard in a mac and cheese, in even small quantities, makes a difference to its taste. if you can't discern it that's fine, it still makes a difference
But it's not essential to what is mac and cheese. If you were served thin gumbo, you wouldn't be able to call it gumbo.
>>
>>7726656
>onions
I'm sure anon meant shallots, OP. But fuck yeah everything else is on point. Maybe a little thyme simmered in the milk for the bechamel
>>
>>7734943
Now you're just being a fucking degenerate loser.
>>
>>7734957

>When you or some other faggot called stock "vegetable meat water".

so? what does it have to do with anything?

>But it's not essential to what is mac and cheese.

i've made it quite clear that while that may be true, it doesn't mean it shouldn't be in the dish. a roux is not essential either. it still has an effect on the way you make it even if the person eating it doesn't know that. so, your reasoning for what *should* be in a mac and cheese is an is/ought fallacy. roux is often present. but should it be? mustard is often not present. but should it not be?
>>
>>7734542
Agreed, I like Tabasco for this. Just a few drops over the top cuts through the fattiness and adds enough flavor to not be overpowering, it's really nice.
>>
>>7734969
>so? what does it have to do with anything?
Holy shit... am I talking to a fucking wall?

>a roux is not essential either
Good luck making mac and cheese without bechamel. I'm fucking done with you, kid.
>>
>>7734983

>Good luck making mac and cheese without bechamel.

i have been for years.

>Holy shit... am I talking to a fucking wall?

you're talking to a reasonable person. what purpose does the argument about stock serve? the guy who brought it up was just saying that a dark roux adds depth of flavour. you turned it into this retarded semantic special olympics rally.

>kid

depressingly we're probably quite close in age and i may well be older than you.
>>
>>7734995
>i have been for years.
You've been making melted cheese with elbow pasta?

>the guy who brought it up was just saying that a dark roux adds depth of flavour
No, he said it was an essential ingredient. It's not. That's the fucking point.

>depressingly we're probably quite close in age and i may well be older than you
It certainly would be depressing if there was a 30+ year old this dense.
>>
>>7735015

>You've been making melted cheese with elbow pasta?

i've been cooking pasta in a cheese sauce made in a variety of ways including but not limited to a bechamel base. it depends on the consistency you want, the cheeses used and a variety of other factors.

>No, he said it was an essential ingredient. It's not. That's the fucking point.

if that was the fucking point you would've kept to it, but instead you went incoherent and semantic, a common theme of your posts itt.
>>
Use eggs to create a bit more of that dry solid mac you might get at a soul food place. I like lots of small diced ham in mine and topped with panko mixed with butter and cheese.
>>
>>7735030
>it depends on the consistency you want, the cheeses used and a variety of other factors.
Simply put: mac and cheese should not be simply melted cheese with pasta.

>but instead you went incoherent and semantic
No, fag, I addressed an obvious strawman.
>>
>>7735042

>Simply put: mac and cheese should not be simply melted cheese with pasta.

who said it should be?

>No, fag, I addressed an obvious strawman.

do you know what a straw man is?
>>
>>7734332
Kek, sneaky dad jokes
>>
>>7734768
>You're ungrateful for the generous wisdom I bestow upon you.

I literally kek'd
>>
Alright, break out a pot, a double boiler, yer whisk, and two casserole pans or one big ass disposable roasting pan, and your blender.

You will need
two 16 oz blocks of sharp cheddar
HUUUGE ass bag of shredded mozzarella, the kind usually sitting an arms length away from the refrigerated pizza dough in the bottom well of the dairy aisle,
16-20 oz bag of cheddar jack
Parmesan (to grind or powdered, your choice)
Quarter loaf of italian bread sliced into smaller bits
Seasoning to preference
Salt
two boxes of macaroni product of choice (Elbow, Fusilli, cavatapi, whatever)
Olive oil
Milk
Flour

Boil that pasta, bit of salt, drain, put it to the side and into the olive oil rubbed casseroles/big ass pan.

Lightly toast, then rebake the slices of italian bread. shove them and seasoning to taste into the blender along with a bit of parmesan to make a topping for later. Set aside in a bowl

Grate all that sharp cheddar.

Take your butter in your double boiler and melt it down, whisk in some flour and milk over a low flame until you have a sizeable and only slightly thick roux. Put about 1/4 of the sharp cheddar, some parmesan, and 1/2 the back of cheddar jack into the roux slowly.

Take the remaining cheddar you shredded, the jack, and the 7/8 of the mozz and dump it & fold it into your pasta.

Pour the Roux over all of it, fold it in there.

throw the last 1/8th of the mozz over top, sprinkle out the bread crumbs you made in the blender over the top, apply additional parmesan on top

Bake that shit at 325 until golden brown. Serves 1 metric fuck of people for 2 or three days.
>>
>>7736458
fuck me I forgot to put the fucking butter in the ingredient list

You will need 2 sticks unsalted butters.
>>
>>7726622
Bechamel sauce, crushed feta cheese, some green herbs and parsley if thats your thing

bake
>>
File: Firinda-makarna-graten[1].jpg (101KB, 800x537px) Image search: [Google]
Firinda-makarna-graten[1].jpg
101KB, 800x537px
>>7736462
thats how it looks like depending on your sauce/pasta ratio
>>
>>7726622
I typically pick out the cheese I need to make. I'm not particular on the cheese so that's up to you. After I cook and drain the water from the noodles I add the cheese.
Now, I lately have been adding in diced ham for another texture and cilantro for color.
The problem with my recipe is the cheese hardens and is too thick. You're on your own there as I'm working on it right now.
>>
>>7736466
O beybi
>>
File: 1462417795379.jpg (28KB, 500x581px) Image search: [Google]
1462417795379.jpg
28KB, 500x581px
>>7736462
>Bechamel sauce
Is this the ingredient that adds that creamy tasty goodness and raises good to god mac and cheese?
I was going to try Alton Brown's recipe but it uses eggs which I never knew was a thing and not the sauce.
>>
>>7736636
oh yeah it is
works great with baked chicken too

you can make it yourself or just buy premade ones
>>
>>7736636
>Is this the ingredient that adds that creamy tasty goodness and raises good to god mac and cheese?

No, it's more like an extra step that's required when people try to make mac and cheese with cheeses that don't melt well, cheddar being a great example. When you get a cheese that doesn't melt well then you need to add the bechamel to get a nice texture. Or you could instead choose cheese(s) that do melt well and then you can skip the bechamel process.
>>
>>7736665
>just buy premade ones

I'm a new.pleb to this and even I know that's blasphemy.

But thanks for the info

>>7736692
Recommended cheeses?

I'm going to attempt to test out a few recipes this weekend. My first attempt at cooking anything for a long, long time since my surgeries.
>>
>>7736707
>Recommended cheeses?

Gruyere, gouda, brie, camambert. Blue cheese works well too if you like that.
>>
>>7735015
>Dark roux is an essential ingredient if you want your gumbo to have any depth of flavor

THAT is what the guy was saying, you dense, idiotic motherfucker. You need to feed that hamster in your head more so it'll turn that wheel faster.
>>
>>7736707
>blasphemy

dont be a literal retard over flour and oil
>>
>>7736811
I thought this was the cooking board. Something as basic as that should be done yourself.
You think this is bad don't go to /diy/
>>
>>7737183
>I thought this was the cooking board

Sure. There's about 1% of posters who actually cook anything beyond bachelor slop. The rest talk about fast food, ramen, and siracha.
>>
>>7736752
except it's not an essential ingredient in 2/3 variants of classic gumbo, cocksucker
>>
>>7737641
Proof or get the fuck out, amateur.
>>
File: IMG_20160331_1851.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160331_1851.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
>>7726622
Asari
>>
Got fat free condensed milk bby accident. Is my dish fugged?
>>
>>7729920
War on Drugs bitch
>>
>>7737708
>>>/wikipedia/gumbo
the fuck outta here, nigger
>>
File: 1257873428576.jpg (190KB, 516x480px)
1257873428576.jpg
190KB, 516x480px
>>7738546
>using wikipedia as a source

Get fucked, dickface, you don't know shit about shit.
>>
>>7726656
>putting mustard, even dry, anywhere near macaroni
Why do people do this? The flavor doesn't work in mac. Its like people just went 'hey, both of cheese and mustard are yellowish so they should be in the same dish!' Its honestly disgusting.
>>
>>7738553
>thinking wikipedia is a poor source
>living in 2006
Really, faggot? Do me a favor, and add "also niggers eat it" to the gumbo page and let me know if it even gets fucking published.
>>
File: 1284613431588.jpg (85KB, 500x475px) Image search: [Google]
1284613431588.jpg
85KB, 500x475px
>>7738565
>>7738546
From your precious Wiki page, faggot:

"Gumbo is a stew that originated in southern Louisiana during the 18th century. It consists primarily of a strongly-flavored stock, meat or shellfish, a thickener, and the Cajun holy trinity of vegetables, namely celery, bell peppers, and onions. Gumbo is often categorized by the type of thickener used, the vegetable okra, the Choctaw spice filé powder (dried and ground sassafras leaves), or roux, the French base made of flour and fat. The dish likely derived its name from either a word from a Bantu language for okra (ki ngombo) or the Choctaw word for filé (kombo).

Several different varieties exist. Creole gumbo generally contains shellfish, tomatoes, and a thickener. Cajun gumbo is generally based on a dark roux and is spicier, with either shellfish or fowl. Sausage or ham is often added to gumbos of either variety. After the base is prepared, vegetables are cooked down, and then meat is added. The dish simmers for a minimum of three hours, with shellfish and some spices added near the end. If desired, filé powder is added after the pot is removed from heat. Gumbo is traditionally served over rice. A third, lesser-known variety, the meatless gumbo z'herbes, is essentially a gumbo of slow-cooked greens sometimes thickened with roux, with rice served on the side."

NOTE HOW MANY TIMES IT SAYS ROUX IS USED AS A THICKENER, YOU FUCKING FAGGOT ASS IRISH STEW TIER FUCKLORD.
AND, IF YOU DON'T USE A DARK ROUX, YOUR GUMBO SUCKS. IT ADDS DEPTH OF FLAVOR, HOW MANY FUCKING TIMES DO WE HAVE TO TELL YOU THIS.
>>
>>7738599
>Gumbo is often categorized by the type of thickener used, the vegetable okra, the Choctaw spice filé powder (dried and ground sassafras leaves), or roux
>categorized by the type of thickener
>or roux
>or
>OR
Roux is a type of thickener.
Pull the dragon dildo out of your ass, sperglord
>>
>>7726622
ive been adding mexican table cream to my kraft mac and cheese, and i probably wont move on from there, since its so fkn good

>eating spoonfuls out of the container from the fridge from time to time.

it reheats so good, and even cold, retains a creamy texture that is simply too good not to try.
>>
>>7738561
>not putting garlic and chili powder in your mac
your have shit taste methinks.
>>
>>7738607
I can't believe ANYONE could be as fucking STUPID AS YOU. Your fucking inbred backwards thinking is so fucking moronic, so fucking idiotic, so fucking stupid....I hope you realize you've become the village idiot of /ck/ now. Enjoy your isolation, you dimbulb, dumb, thick headed piece of shit.
Also, I pulled that dragon dildo out of your mom last night. It smelled like ROTTEN MOLDY OKRA.
>>
>>7738634
I'm retarded because you have no reading comprehension skills?

Okay bby :^)
>>
>>7738639
No, you're retarded because you have NO skills, reading, cooking, or anything else. You're just a twat. And a dumb twat at that.
>>
>>7738646
So three thickening methods, one of which involves roux equates to roux being absolutely essential to you?

Just curious.
>>
File: 1464820995814.jpg (122KB, 963x768px)
1464820995814.jpg
122KB, 963x768px
>>7738036
Bumpin for answer pls
>>
>>7738654
Because it's NOT JUST A THICKENER, YOU DUMB CUNT. It thickens AND adds depth. That's why you use a DARK ROUX, and not a light roux. GODDAMN, HOW MANY TIMES, SPERGIE, HOW MANY TIMES.....
>>
>>7738663
No, you're fine, it won't make that much difference. I use fat free evaporated milk. Please tell me, though, that you bought evaporated milk and not sweetened condensed milk.
>>
>>7738670
You stupid faggot.

That may be why the roux used is dark, but an okra or sassafras thickened gumbo doesn't fucking use roux! What the actual fuck is wrong with you? Do you really just love french cock that much?
>>
>>7738681
Actually many people use both roux and either okra or sassafras. You're a pedantic MORON. Go live in Louisiana for awhile, and fucking LEARN SOMETHING.
>>
>>7738706

I'm not the guy you are arguing with...

It is wildly clear that you have no clue what you are talking about. You need to quit junking up all these threads with your shit tier, inexperienced opinions about creole cooking. You're just wrong over and over again.
>>
>>7738728
Sure, sure your not.
And no, I'm not wrong. But nice try, pal.
>>
>>7738676
Evaporated, I checked the can.
Thanks anon.
Maybe I'll do a thread Saturday. It will be my first time cooking mac and cheese that doesn't come with a foil packet of "cheese"
I'll either succeed or become an embarrassing failure to the amusement of /ck/
>>
>>7738561

i think it's common enough that your suggestion it 'doesn't work' is quite idiosyncratic. mustard cuts richness, emulsifies and gives what can be quite a flat tasting dish some necessary punch. it's used in far more cheese-containing foods than just mac and cheese.
>>
>>7726656
Never been a huge fan of using bechamel for cheesy things. I know, I know, it's the way we're all taught to do cheese sauces but I always skip bechamel if I can. What's wrong with melting the cheese down in hot milk? No flour filler needed. If I were op, I'd heat up some milk and melt down my favorite american cheese, plus some mozzarella, cheddar and I might even grate in some pecorino for pungency and call it a day.
>>
>>7739593
I use bechamel, but not to make a cheese sauce. My macaroni and cheese isn't saucy. It's cheesy.
>>
toss a cup and a half of condensed milk along with half a pound of 3 yellow cheeses and blue cheese in equal amounts in a pot, wait until everything melts, and add the mac

trust me on this
>>
>>7738706
>>7738746
Wow, what a fag.

I'm the guy you've been arguing with.

Do you really think non-french creole gumbo uses roux?
>>
Kek
How long has this roux butthurt argument been going on for? Feels like at least 2 days
>>
>>7738706
>Thinking you can get educated in Louisiana
One of the stupidest states in the nation.
>>
>>7726622
Whatever you do, you have to use bowtie pasta, it's fuckin dank.
>>
Lots of people being quite needlessly rouxd to each other ITT.
>>
>>7741528
It's one retard who refuses to acknowledge the importance of roux in creole cooking, like a fucking dumbass.
>>
>>7741834
You really think you're only arguing with one person?
>>
>>7741899
Ask yourself that question.
>>
>>7726622

> Oil in pan, or clarified butter (I use refined coconut or canola)
> Heat until shimmery
> Add same amount of flour slowly while whisking
> Continue to mix while gradually turning heat up to medium
> Once it's totally smooth and bubbling somewhat rapidly, start adding in whole milk slowly while whisking, so that you whisk it in thoroughly before adding more milk
> Add milk until you get it to the desired texture/volume
> Add some minced onion/garlic that you've sauteed
> Add herbs/spices/shredded cheese (e.g., sharp white cheddar, smoked paprika, italian seasoning)
> Reduce to medium-low and stir frequently (not necessarily constantly)
> Reduce to desired consistency, keeping it mind it will thicken up as it sits
> Stir together with elbow noodles and put in a glass dish
> Cover with breakcrumbs
> Bake until golden
>>
>>7726656
>Bechamel sauce, onions minced real fine
I add onion to mine too.

OP, here's the 411 on what makes a great one.
1) Noodles with ridges, al dente. I like the Barilla Cellentani, which are like a longer elbow, almost a full spiral, and rough on the outside, which holds more clinging sauce. Can't find them? Try penne rigate. Nothing too thin, or too floppy. Salt the boiling water.
https://www.barilla.com/en-us/products/pasta/classic-blue-box/cellentani

2) Assume 1lb pasta and 1lb-1.5lb cheese, minimum ratio. Use very sharp cheddar for at least 1/2lb. I use colby, mild, gouda, jack, anything else for the rest.
3) Make 1-2 cups of bechamel (with the translucent chopped onion). Grate all of the cheese, add half to the sauce now, and fold sauce into the drained pasta. Feel free to cube up some extra and fold that into the noodles too.
4) Transfer to buttered casserole, sprinkling reserved cheese as you ladle it in. I use a 3qt round or souffle dish because I like it a little deeper and moister in the middle. Top with homemade coarse breadcrumbs (just food process all those heels of stale bread laying around, variety is good). Add parm to the top and another 1/2 cup of grated cheese, as well as dots of butter on those crumbs. Make a thick layer to crunch.
5) Foil or lid on top for about 20 minutes to heat through. This is where pyrex is great, because you can see the noodles boiling, or getting nice and crusty on the sides. Remove foil, and give it another 15-20 minutes to brown on top. Must rest about 15 minutes before attempting to serve.

mustard is nice, cayenne too, but not necessary with great sharp cheeses. I do all a lot of black pepper in the bechamel. I start it butter/flour roux.
>>
File: drycheese.jpg (44KB, 419x606px)
drycheese.jpg
44KB, 419x606px
>>7726622
use some of this stuff with gauda and blue cheese
http://www.amazon.com/Cheddar-Anthonys-Certified-Gluten-Free-Artificial/dp/B00XUX9D8O/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1464922950&sr=8-2&keywords=cheddar+cheese+powder
>>
>>7742224
nutritional yeast and garlic is good too.
>>
>>7742224
>use some of this stuff
cheese powder is good for like dusting on popcorn or nuts, and not for this kind of recipe.
>>
>>7742236
i like the way it tastes . it's unlike any real cheese I have tried.
Thread posts: 196
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.