[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>If you mash it, it kinda looks like mashed potatoes! >It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: cauliflower.jpg (43KB, 510x395px) Image search: [Google]
cauliflower.jpg
43KB, 510x395px
>If you mash it, it kinda looks like mashed potatoes!
>It's a mashed potatoes substitute!

>If you pull it apart, it kinda looks like rice!
>It's a rice substitute!

You know, I'm all in favor of practicing some discipline with your diet, but this is kinda pathetic. No, it does not taste like mashed potatoes. No, it does not taste like rice. Cauliflower is not some amazing warping food. It's always going to taste like cauliflower. Same with zucchini noodles. That's not pasta.

There's no shortage of tasty foods that you can have on a low carb diet. Steak, chicken, sausage patties, bacon, butternut squash, carrots, onions, spinach... good stuff. Why do you need these cheap imitations of food that you can't have? If you really want some fried rice, just wait until your designated cheat day and then either make or go get yourself some real fried rice.
>>
>>7619147

relax, guy
>>
>>7619147
>Zucchini noodles
>Not Courgetti
>>
>>7619147
Someone piss in your cheerios this morning?
>>
> If you really want some fried rice, just wait until your designated cheat day and then either make or go get yourself some real fried rice.

why

why not just have cauliflower fried rice
>>
>>7619220
Because cauliflower is not rice and tastes like shit compared to real fried rice.
>>
>>7619152
>>7619184
>>7619220

It's really the intent behind it that pisses me off, more than just the fact that they like what I don't like.

Accepting a task means accepting the responsibilities that go with it. In the case of diet change, this means that on more days than not, you're not allowing yourself to have foods that are among your favorites. You can't have those foods. The occasional cheat day (maybe once per week at most; if your usual diet is 3 cheat days and 4 on-days per week, you're not going to see a lot of success) is as far as the compromise goes. You need to live with that.

More than because they're great meal ideas that stick to the plan, these imitation meals feel more like they're there for idiots who can't accept reality. The fact that they call it things like "cauliflower fried rice" or "zucchini pasta" along with the movements that brought about their rise tells you everything that you need to know about why these dishes find their way into healthy cooking communities. They're there to say "See, you can eat low carb and still have fried rice!" But no, you really can't, except on those rare cheat days. This is not fried rice, no matter how much you try to call it that. Stop being a prissy self-entitled cunt and just accept the change.
>>
>>7619221

it's not rice but it doesn't taste like shit, it tastes like cauliflower you dunderhead

>>7619229

> these imitation meals feel more like they're there for idiots who can't accept reality.

pretty judgmental anon
>>
>>7619235

>pretty judgmental anon

Newsflash: People are stupid. Furthermore, when people try to take on a task, many of them will go about it in a half-baked manner, ultimately giving up without accomplishing the goal that they set out for.

Considering how these "substitutions" are often presented, and how so many people approach the idea of healthy eating, my interpretation of their intent and the target audience is hardly unfounded.
>>
File: p1532888937-3.jpg (125KB, 580x387px) Image search: [Google]
p1532888937-3.jpg
125KB, 580x387px
>>7619229
there's an indian fusion fast casual place near my work that makes a cauliflower concoction they call "not rice", it's pretty good, it's one of my staples when I'm on a cut because it digests much slower than actual rice, so I don't feel as hungry, but still provides much-needed carbs.

just because you are surrounded by retards who think cauliflower doesn't have carbohydrates in it (?!) doesn't mean you're required to avoid any ingredients they have ever touched.

get a hold of yourself my man. you're making a spectacle of yourself.
>>
>>7619250

your argument relies on the idea that these 'substitutions' are subjectively inferior to the person making them. your interpretation thereof is always going to be unfounded. i've tried cauliflower 'rice' or 'couscous' or whatever you wanna call it and it's pretty palatable. i PERSONALLY can't see myself preferring it the majority of the time, but if there were an additional dietary incentive i would be pretty happy with it. then i could have the real thing on a 'cheat day' if i wanted.
>>
A Q4U Anon: do you dislike cauliflower altogether or just the sub-ins?
I eat cauliflower pretty often as it's one of the more common veg in muh culture. Actually had some tonight for dinner with potatoes, okra and noodles.
>>
>>7619269

>your argument relies on the idea that these 'substitutions' are subjectively inferior to the person making them.

No, it's reliant on the idea that cauliflower is being presented as a substitution for rice and potatoes, which it is.

Why would they present it as a substitution instead of just its own stand-alone dish? Because they're pathetic cunts who are trying to feel like they're eating fried rice, when they're clearly not. If you're relying on shallow tricks like this to try to convince yourself that your diet doesn't involve sacrifices, you're never going to adapt.

>>7619283

I hate cauliflower. However, my problem isn't with people who like cauliflower. It's with the crowd who's treating it like a substitution, for reasons outlined above.
>>
>>7619229
Wait til you find out about the cauliflower "steak" meme
>>
>>7619289
>I hate cauliflower
Maybe if your parents had raised you properly you'd understand that eating vegetables isn't a punishment to be endured, but is, in fact, enjoyed by many people who are not actually pretending just to seem "hip" or "cool".
>>
>>7619289

>No, it's reliant on the idea that cauliflower is being presented as a substitution for rice and potatoes, which it is.

no, it's reliant on it being an inferior substitution.

>Why would they present it as a substitution instead of just its own stand-alone dish?

it becomes its own stand-alone dish, but it is cooked in a manner that causes it to resemble other ingredients. that doesn't mean anyone is biting into it whilst holding their nose and desperately trying to conjure an olfactory phantom of basmati as they swallow it down.

>I hate cauliflower. However, my problem isn't with people who like cauliflower.

your problem is clearly with people who like cauliflower enough to voluntarily choose it over rice and potatoes. you're still taking an issue with what could very feasibly be an informed decision independent of insecurity about diet.
>>
>>7619298

Reread the OP again, you illiterate retard. Also, look up "ad hominem" and "straw man".

>>7619300

No, it's just reliant on it being a substitution.

If it was just made because it sounds good rather than to try to plug some hole (i.e. the fact that you want to convince yourself that you didn't actually sacrifice fried rice), it's not a substitution.
>>
>>7619311

And before people who are too stupid to understand the nature of fallacies respond:

Ad hominem is an informal fallacy, meaning that it's only a fallacy if it's irrelevant or unfounded.

People's characters are the core of my complain, which means that attacking their characters is not an attempt to derail the argument. Thus, it's not a fallacy here.
>>
>>7619311

>No, it's just reliant on it being a substitution.

no, it's reliant on being an inferior substitution. if it were an equivalent or superior substitution, your argument would plainly make no sense.

>If it was just made because it sounds good rather than to try to plug some hole (i.e. the fact that you want to convince yourself that you didn't actually sacrifice fried rice), it's not a substitution.

and now you're beginning to lose coherence. because this is a poorly conceived troll thread.
>>
>>7619311
>Reread the OP again, you illiterate retard.
I read it. You're very, very angry at a vegetable, and anyone who eats them without making gagging noises and going EEWW YUCKEEE. Got it.
>look up "ad hominem" and "straw man"
Neither of those is applicable here because you are not making any sort of argument in logical terms, you're just stamping your feet and whining WHY DO SOME PEOPLE LIKE STUFF I DON'T LIKE
>>
i feel ya OP.

i did low carb for 4 months and i encountered the pretend rice and pasta crowd too. That shit is no substitute and those people who insist it is are raging faggots.
>>
>>7619300
I'm the caulimuhflower eatin' Anon from above and while I eat cauliflower pretty damned fucking commonly, I would never choose it over rice or potatoes. I would choose it with rice or potatoes.

>>7619220
Cauliflower fried rice is a thing I eat pretty often, but I suspect you mean something where the cauliflower takes the place of the rice, which seems just wrong to me.
For cauliflower fried rice, I chop up some cauliflower, blanch it, shock it and set it aside.
Then I toast some cumin seeds and white peppercorns and set that aside, too.
Finally, I peel, crush and chop some garlic, ginger, tomato and green chilli.

All preparations're complete so it's now time to cook.

Add garlic, ginger, tomato, chilli and a bit of coconut oil (or broken coconut cream) to the pan and salt generously.
Heat up; meanwhile, grind the spices.
When aromatics are fragrant, add the spices and toss about to evenly distribute.
Add the cauliflower bits and toss about to cook through.
Add some cooked, day-old (or more) rice and a splash or two of stock or water and toss to mix through and allow the rice to absorb the liquid.
>i use two day old rice, at least, as it gives it time to form a starchy pellicle around each grain; I crumble the clumped rice before adding to the pan.
Salt to taste and off the heat, then stir in some chopped coriander and scallions.
Serve hot with a pile of sliced cucumbers to the side, itself topped with a bit of katta, and a few plates of other foods, such as a bean or meat wet curry (curried chickpea is nice as is pulled pork or chicken curry, I think), a dry curry (mushroom curry is a favourite) and a deep-fried dish (I had onion and nigella seed donuts last time and potato-and-pea samsa the time before that).
>>
I hear you, OP. It's just like someone swearing off meat then buying vegetarian "burgers". There are plenty of delicious vegetarian dishes, but they choose burgers because it resembles something they decided they won't let themselves have and want to half-ass that decision.

Of course, that doesn't apply to everyone that buys them, but it's clearly the appeal for some.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.