[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My gut tells me that electric stove tops are trash and gas is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

File: ceramic_stove_top_s1.jpg (15KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
ceramic_stove_top_s1.jpg
15KB, 300x200px
My gut tells me that electric stove tops are trash and gas is superior. Is there really a difference?
>>
obviously. you can just turn down the heat on a gas stove. you have to switch to a different burner and let the other one cool on an electric stove

also if something boils over on an electric stove it immediately sears itself to the coils, which is nasty
>>
>>7572261
your gut is correct.
>>
Yes, if you have electric you might as well forget about getting any good cookware and just use cast iron because you're not getting any control anyway.
>>
I use electric. It's alright. Don't really have any complaints about it in particular. It's certainly different than gas, but I don't think it's as bad as most people seem to think.
>>
>>7572261
I prefer gas. That's what I grew up with and I've almost always used except for when I was living in an apartment. You just have more control. Plus, when the power goes out I can still cook food.
>>
>>7572261
I can't maintain my pressure cookers low pressure for jack shit on an electric hob, I have to switch burners, a lot of times I blow past the safety high pressure and the pressure release valve hisses.
>>
Gas all the way.

I will never buy an electric stove.
>>
Gas is dangerous. Just ask the jews.
>>
>>7572556
so wait. wait. wait. If I am using my pressure cooker on the stove...it constantly has steam coming out of the top of it. I thought this was normal. Is it not? The little knob on top steams 100% of the time.
>>
>>7572268
The glass-top ones are alright. Easier to clean than pretty much anything else out there.
>>
>>7572685

wow really good joke, anon. well timed, unexpected, and completely original.
>>
>>7572261

absolutely inferior in like every single way except maybe inductive water boiling

you get
-no control
-low heat (there actually are high heat electric stoves made for commercial applications but you dont have one), and if you turn that low heat all the way up it gets really hot, but just on the bottom of your pan and ruins it.
-no heat consistency
-you have to learn what the arbitrary numbers mean
-anything that gets on them ignites and smokes the next 5 times you use the burner

and in return you get a stove that is also generally less safe, because unless you have it set high enough to turn the element red, there's no visual indication that its on other than a dim red light somewhere you cant see in daylight anyways

they are literally only for cheapskate landlords who dont want to pay for their apartment complexes to be plumbed for gas, and for women who are afraid of their house exploding when their spawn open the burners and flood the house with gas
>>
>>7572712
Bullshit anything that spills or gets knocked over gets fucking caked onto that glass and nothing will ever get that shit out not to mention scrapes over time. Every glass stove top I've ever seen ends up looking like shit after a few years
>>
>>7573073
personally i have one and have lived with it for 10 years and it looks fine. if you clean up when it happens and keep along a razorblade to scrape off anything that gets stuck you're fine
>>
>>7573073
git gud at cleaning
>>
>>7572261
Gas stoves are for retards that want to continue to be dependent on fossil fuels, like a bunch of cavemen. A high heat electric stove is the modern, patrician choice
>>
>>7573110

gonna leave my stove on all night to use double the gas to cancel out your contribution to the environment
>>
>>7573105
more like git kwik because literally all you have to do is have a sufficiently folded paper towel close at hand
you won't even burn yourself, just freaking get it before it cakes on and not after
>>
Gas stovetop with electric oven masterrace
>>
>>7572261
I miss gas stove, electric stove sucks slow response and the ceramic top hold heat for too long
>>
>>7573110
You're right. Electric appliances don't depend on fossil fuels at all. It's just a cadre of midgets turning a comically large crank on a turbine
>>
>>7573135

>coal power plant
>even worse than gas
>use inferior electric appliance powered by coal
>im saving the world

typical SJW mindset
>>
File: 1458948858953.gif (147KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
1458948858953.gif
147KB, 340x340px
>>7573118
but there are theoretically an infinite number of gas stoves I could be using right now but am not
>>
>>7573138

there are a finite number limited by tons of factors

how many can you afford?
how much space do you have?

even if you had infinite money theres only a finite number of stoves that could be produced with the materials that exist on earth

fucking nigger i just turned another burner on
>>
induction > gas > electric
>>
>>7573135

It's probably a little more energy efficient to have central power production and transport current over wires than transport gas via pipe.

That, and the small stove probably doesn't have the technology to make the most of it anyhow, a lot of energy will be lost as heat and light from the open flame.

That and natural gas is cleaner than coal, but will be it cleaner than the current total profile of fuels used for generate electricity?
>>
>>7572261
i have a shitty electric stove right now, and it doesn't evenly heat. i miss the gas stove i grew up with.
>>
>>7572261
At my old apartment I had a 70 year old gas range with a standing pilot light. The oven was horrible, but that cheap, old stove was better than every electric burner I have ever used, by a huge margin at that. Being able to almost immediately control heat is invaluable.
>>
>>7573135
>>7573137
My town's power comes from nuclear, you backwards amerifats. Who the fuck still has coal for the electricy?
>>
>>7572268

Enjoying blowing up from a gas leak.
>>
of course they're superior

but to the average home chef it won't make a big fucking difference and you shouldn't worry about it

there are pros about electric stoves too namely:
>energy efficient
>safer
>easier to clean
>>
>>7573260
>Who the fuck still has coal for the electricy?
Germans
>>
>>7572261
gas is superior if not only for the fact that it is much more obvious when it is on and you are less likely to burn your house down.

however I do concede that ranges with a solid piece of glass covering are a breeze to clean in comparison
>>
Julia Child mentions in Mastering the Art of French Cooking that home gas burners are inconsistent and inferior to electric. Still true? I guess it doesn't matter to me, since I'm stuck with the electric my apartment complex has.
>>
>>7572261
gas is superior-the best gas burners have the most surface area like those star shaped burners

the magnetic top of the line induction ones are kick ass but really expensive and limits the pots and pans you can use,so gas still wins

the glass ones like in your pic is garbage tier
>>
the ones with bare coils are ok if you can't get gas for whatever reason, but glass top stoves like that are literally the stupidest shit ever installed in a kitchen.

>if your pan isn't perfectly flat on the bottom it spins like a top
>takes forever to heat up
>element automatically shuts off when it thinks it's hot enough
>lowest setting boils instead of simmers

what kind of retard ass engineer thought this was a good idea? what kind of retard fuck businessman went along with it? what kind of shit for brains human garbage actually bought them?
>>
>>7573167
This guy gets it, have induction at home but use gas at work. It's a close call but I prefer my induction over the gas
>>
>>7572261
Electric are a joke... you can't adjust the temperature quickly. Makes it tricky to do something as simple as simmer a pot of water.
>>
>>7574224
Lol, that damage control. Maybe your joke was just retarded.
>>
>>7572699
not op but come on man, you should know how your pressure cooker works. And yes, a pressure cooker is supposed to hiss and release vapor. That's how you know it's reached the correct pressure. Once it reaches pressure, I turn the knob down to 3 or medium low, and it works perfectly.
>>
Induction is awesome
Electric is AWFUL
>>
>>7572699

That's how it maintains a constant temperature inside. The only way to to get a consistent temperature with a pressure cooker without venting continuously is with closed loop control (that's why you have to baby "non venting" pressure cookers used on stoves, you are the temperature controller).
>>
Induction>Gas>electric element

I doubted it a first but my mom got an induction hotplate and the thing was so good I went and bought myself one.

>accurate temperature
>heats faster than gas
>has a timer that can set to warm after a certain amount of time
>has a self shutoff in case anything boils over
>easier to clean
>costs less to run
>>
>>7572261
Induction is best, has the highest efficiency with gas being 2nd
>>
>>7574818
I'll take gas over induction any day.

-more consistent control at low settings
-gas is much more powerful (more btu)
-instant source of flame for roasting chilies, flambeing, etc,
-works with any kind of cookware, including odd shapes (wok). No need to buy special induction-only pans
-no annoying auto-shutoff when you move a pan to toss ingredients.

IMHO the only advantage induction has is that it's easier to clean.
>>
>>7572268
>what is steel wool

Shit is cash and gets rid of anything crisped onto a surface in seconds
>>
Induction > Gas > Electric > Heat beams

Now, the greatest thing about gas is the oven component. The stovetop is really whatever.
>>
>>7573428
Normal electric > Open coils
Open coils are shit, and cant' be cleaned properly either
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.