[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, /ck/, does your specific type of mental illness make you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 3

File: i-beat-anorexia.jpg (32KB, 445x314px) Image search: [Google]
i-beat-anorexia.jpg
32KB, 445x314px
So, /ck/, does your specific type of mental illness make you eat more or eat less?
>>
Less.
>>
More. Even looking at pictures of food makes me feel less depressed. I love going grocery shopping even though I'm spergy around people.
>>
More, though at times extremely less. If it's really, really bad I'll hyper binge eat... Like, I'll eat until I'm full, then I'll see something else I want and eat that. To try and control myself during these time I'll be like "okay, I'll wait ten minutes so I'm hungry again and then eat it", as if ten minutes is enough time to get hungry. It rarely happen that bad, but it happens.
I'm working on losing weight now. I've already lost 40 pounds. Hopefully after another 60-80 I'll be done entirely.
>>
Kinda
>>
>>7570627
If I'm sad and depressed I tend to eat more. If I'm stressed I eat less.
>>
>>7570630

Love to binge eat, but i burn it off and purge
>>
Both, I have EDNOS so I restrict to maybe 700 calories a day for weeks. Then I binge for a few days, take laxatives to clean myself out, and start the cycle again.
>>
>>7570627
Depression used to make me barely eat at all, nowadays eating is pretty much the only thing that gives me pleasure. I can't really explain it, I just feel that if I eat I'll be happier, but in the end I just purge and become more miserable.
>>
File: 1457301410736.jpg (23KB, 500x359px) Image search: [Google]
1457301410736.jpg
23KB, 500x359px
Less. Particularly since I also work in the industry, I have severe loss of appetite kind of all the time. Which is a shame cause I LOVE to eat and LOVE to cook.

I'm a big boi too so its real not safe for me to be eating so little. When I was growing I ate fucking insane amounts of food all the time, but I was also more active then.
>>
Melancholic depression makes for an excellent appetite suppressant.
>>
>>7570627
It changes quite often.

I'm diagnosed with depression, anxiety, and EDNOS. I think that speaks for itself.
>>
>>7572371
i love that people can get benzos for being insecure women
>>
Major depression, general anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, bipolar 2.

When I'm feeling really low I don't eat for 3 or 4 days at a time and don't really feel hungry. The rest of the time I probably eat too much because I generally don't have anything else to do.
>>
>>7570627

>any board on 4chan
>bait thread about mental illness
>dozens of replies by self diagnosed faggots
>muh thyroid
>muh depression
>>
>>7570627
I have borderline personality disorder which has high rates of comorbidity with other disorders, including eating disorders.

unfortunately, I didn't get one of the good ones and I'm a fucking binge eater.
>>
with my depression and partial agoraphobia(I won't leave my house during daylight) I go back and forth from hardly eating to over eating
>>
my adhd doesn't do anything to my hunger, but my meds do. When I'm on them I'm never hungry. The bad news is that when it wears off I'm starving and binge eat. Its not good.
>>
>>7570627
If my autism preventing me from eating in public counts.
>>
>>7570627
Depends. I eat less when I'm depressed, and I eat more when I'm happy. I pretty much binge eat when I take painkillers, though.
>>
>>7572439
yeah I will take my pain meds and eat like a fucking tumblerina
>>
my bipolar has me eating a lot on downswings and subsisting on nothing on upswings

i was just getting into healthy eating habits when i had a paranoid episode and fell apart for a few months. anyone other crazies got good tips on sticking to a diet/routine
>>
>>7570627

Depression and anxiety, more, but less when other people are watching.

>Can't wait to die!
>>
>two psychotic episodes last winter
>started with vivid hallucinations
>some were terrifying, some hilarious, some cringy, some gross
>made me not want to be around people because at any moment i could burst out laughing or feel the urge vomit/scream/cringe
>laid in bed for a week
>no tv, nothing
>had a few gallons of water in my room luckily
>had just run out of food before this strange week started
>didnt even feel a touch of hunger the entire time, had nothing but water
>just laid there, rolling around uncomfortably, staring at the wall
>couldnt sleep for a second, every time i tried to keep my eyes shut they would be wide open again within a few minutes without even realizing it
>no one has any clue what caused the episodes
>>
turpentine
>>
bulimia definitely compels me to eat more.
>>
>Incredibly depressed and suicidal over the past few weeks
>Haven't eaten in 15 days
>Almost overdosed the other day
>Was going through all the symptoms and thought I was dying
>>
>>7572417

fucking this

even if you're not self-diagnosed, it's mostly bullshit

i was diagnosed with major depression and guess what i did? changed the factors in my life that contributed to me feeling low. changed the way i thought about things and perceived things. such mental disorder, wow.
>>
>>7572878
>changed the way i thought about things and perceived things
you weren't really depressed though

99% of people could be diagnosed as depressed if they complained about how they feel to a therapist for a bit. I think it's way more serious for a small minority
>>
>>7572897

>small minority
>every single person on 4chan swears its crippling their NEET life
>>
less. my ssri's have no effect on my appetite
>>
>>7572417
Gotta things can fuck with appetite
>>
>>7572476
Stomach tube
>>
>>7572780
Dude, that sucks. How are you holding these days?
>>
>>7572897
there's tumblr depression which is just feeling sad for a while

then there's legit severe depression caused by chemical imbalances in the brain where the individual is constantly plotting to commit suicide and can sometimes require secure inpatient treatment to cure. is often accompanied by hearing voices

there's a huge difference
>>
>>7572780
>no one has any clue what caused the episodes
What is your diagnosis? Which medicines are you taking for it?
>>
File: 1457714601620.jpg (228KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1457714601620.jpg
228KB, 600x800px
>>7572417
I don't need a diagnosis for alcoholism :)
>>
Anxiety disorder.

I stress eat, but for some reason loose weight at the same time.
>>
>>7572379
It's only women though. I know probably 3 or 4 girls prescribed benzos that obviously don't need em, and the doc wone give me fuck all even though my anxiety/depression keeps me up all night. At least I have this shithole to keep me occupied in my loneliness
>>
>>7570766
I'm the opposite
>>
>>7572780
Wew lad
>>
No mental ilnesses or excuses, I'm just a lazy fuck. Most of my entertainment (reading) is a sedentary activity, and I never developed a liking for exercise (tried biking, walking/jogging, swimming, judo and going to the gym, never got any enjoyment out of any of it).

I'm not a fat fuck (yet), but I'm definitely overweight and on my way to obesity if things don't change.
>>
>>7573452
sometimes you have to see multiple doctors or psychiatrists until they hook you up. Im in the same boat for getting some legal amphetamines
>>
>>7573833
Same boat as you my friend. A co worker hooked me up with about 10 adderrals or however you spell it.. and it just killed my appetite so much that i went from 215 to 190 in 2 weeks. I want to get a prescription so fucking bad. Id take some other type of amphetamines more if my job didnt random drug test.
>>
>>7572424
I have BPD too and while I have never been diagnosed with a formal eating disorder the mood swings cause their own problems. My appetite varies depending on what kind of mood I'm in, some days I'm too sad to eat and other days i binge eat to make the sadness go away and then other days still I starve myself on purpose because I'm angry at myself for something.
>>
I started eating normally and healthier after I fought off my depression myself years ago(no drugs or therapy). Funnily enough I've gained weight though but bought a bike last week.
>>
>>7572304
is everything ok anon?

melancholia is a bitch.
>>
>>7573159
>chemical inbalances

fuck right of, cognitivo comportementalist scum
>>
surprised at the amount of melancholia/manic/bipolars or psychotics in general on this board.

explain this board alcoholism.
>>
Less before I was prescribed SSRIs and some downers for sleeping. Went through some different combinations, now I'm eating more while maintaining the same weight.
>>
I couldn't tell you if it's related to my autism but whenever I sit down to a meal I feel compelled to eat or drink everything in front of me. I usually feel full way before I stop eating, and when I stop eating it's usually because it's physically more uncomfortable to stop eating than mentally uncomfortable to leave food uneaten.

Despite this I was doing pretty well at losing weight via portion control until recenty.
>>
>>7570627
The mental issues don't affect my appetite. I need to eat to live, and food is one of the few things I can take pleasure from while in a depressed cycle.

However, due to my screwy genetics, I eat more than average. I seem to go through 1.5-2x the amount of calories I'm 'meant' to require just existing.
Working for a living pushes that even higher.

And yes, it is genetic. I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted and not get fat. Now my metabolism's showing my age and I have to ease off a bit.
It's not easy. I still get hungry, and food is still tasty.

>>7572417
I'm not self-diagnosed. I have official paperwork for the mental shit, and got randomly diagnosed with a genetic disorder while in hospital for treatment of a busted shoulder.

>>7572912
>>every single person on 4chan swears its crippling their NEET life
> 4chan is a small minority of people
> 4chan attracts NEETs
> They're NEETs because they're depressed
> They're depressed because they're NEETs and don't have anything to do or live for or get out of bed for

It's a vicious cycle, and can only be broken by getting off your fucking ass.
I beat depression after getting sent to therapy for it. Their advice was basically 'get out the house and do stuff, and get enough goddamn sleep you idiot, two sets of four hours don't add up like that'. And it worked. I survived.
>>
>>7573159
>muh just feeling sad

There are several different kinds of depression, all with different levels of severity. Not every depressed person thinks about committing suicide 24/7
>>
>>7576444
How do they determine when you cross the threshold between sad and depressed.
>>
>>7570627
When I was depressed I ate more because it was my only pleasure in life.

Then I stopped being depressed, and now I eat pretty normal I let myself splurge on training days tho!
>>
>>7576448
When you are sad for days on end with limited reasoning, often coupled with anxiety and a feeling of helplessness.
>>
It makes me eat more junk food and after that I'm not hungry so I don't get fat.
Unfortunately eating junk on the regular still gives shitty skin.
>>
>>7570766
same
>>
>>7576448
usually more than two months of almost constant symptoms
>>
>>7576448
I mean, that's what the DSM is for, but generally speaking if you think something is wrong there is. If it starts to seriously negatively impact your appetite, sleep schedule, motivation, work or school, you become more withdrawn, stuff like that, you should seek help. it's not something you can draw an arbitrary objective line in the sand over and say "this is when sadness becomes depression" because everyone's distress tolerance is different and some people will handle negative emotions less well than others.
>>
>>7575414
>>>every single person on 4chan swears its crippling their NEET life
>> 4chan is a small minority of people
>> 4chan attracts NEETs
>> They're NEETs because they're depressed
>> They're depressed because they're NEETs and don't have anything to do or live for or get out of bed for
>It's a vicious cycle, and can only be broken by getting off your fucking ass.
>I beat depression after getting sent to therapy for it. Their advice was basically 'get out the house and do stuff, and get enough goddamn sleep you idiot, two sets of four hours don't add up like that'. And it worked. I survived.

that not every case of depression man, you are describing typical depression.
Atypical and melancholic aren't affected by how much you try to get better.

all you can do is start taking meds and go into an institution/get in contact with a psychologist until it goes away
>>
>>7577241
>you can do is start taking meds and go into an institution/get in contact with a psychologist until it goes away

True. What sucks though is that in America private insurance does not cover mental health. People suffer in silence because they can't afford the help, therapy, or the meds. Unless your indigent, or have group insurance through your job or parents your basically screwed when it comes to mental healthcare and the costs associated with it. It's really sad actually.
>>
I have thyroid cancer. It's very hard for me to eat. I went from 210 to 154 in a couple months. It kinda sucks.
>>
>>7577267
Ironic that I'm a chef....
>>
>>7577249
For all its flaws, the Affordable Care Act does at least require most individual private insurance plans to provide mental health coverage.
>>
>>7577267
How old are you, if I may ask?
>>
>>7570627
Everything makes me eat less.

Depression, anger, stress, tired, whatever.

I so wish I was the kind of person that eats more when depressed. I'm a sad skinny skeleton.
>>
>>7577327
I'm 25. Almost 26.
>>
>>7577313
>>7577249

I'm in Texas and it's horrible here. Insurance premiums are through the roof. If you don't qualify for the subsidy or get welfare your fucked. It's outrageous and most private plans deny coverage for mental health since they deem it to not be a medical necessity. I know this because I have a family member with a mental health disorder that pays BCBS of Tx over 320 a month and They deny coverage and don't pay for a fuckin thing. Meanwhile some indigent illegal has their premature downs baby here and it's 100 percent paid for for the rest of its life.
>>
>>7570627

Less. 6'4'' and 186 due to a mixture of high stress levels from college murdering my appetite and a high metabolism.
>>
>>7572878

" my experiences invalidate decades of research by experts in the field who have studied the phenomenon of depression for large portions of their lives"

lmao fuckin idiot
>>
When I become very depressed, I tend to eat away my emotions as opposed to when I'm feeling well. If I feel fine, I eat normally.
>>
Much more. I take SSRI which makes me eat much less though, I'm at a healthy weight when medicated for a while
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.