[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do my baguettes look so dull and shitty!? How do I make lovely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: 20160327_173800~2.jpg (1MB, 2340x3107px) Image search: [Google]
20160327_173800~2.jpg
1MB, 2340x3107px
Why do my baguettes look so dull and shitty!? How do I make lovely baguettes? This is bull shit.
>>
>>7513077
shape them more like a cock
>>
Because you made short, perpendicular cuts, thereby making it look like an aborted worm instead of a baguette. It's also fat as fuck
>>
>>7513077
HOTTER AND STEAMIER
>>
>>7513087
I want them more lovely not more French.
>>
>>7513087
Well, all the recipes I looked at said to let them sit on the baking sheet for about 20 minutes before baking, and they just sort of spread out like that.
>>
>>7513077
I'm no expert but I've heard a bit of an eggwash and >>7513095 that is, a pan of water under the loaf in the oven can really make the difference. Eggwash makes it shiny, heat and steam give it a real nice crust.
>>
>>7513095
This anon knows it. Also put some manitoba cream into that dough anon and don't kill the yeast s.v.p.
>>
That bread looks like shit.

If I was a guest in your home and you attempted to serve me that I would walk out.
>>
File: Baguette_score_drwg_0.jpg (109KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Baguette_score_drwg_0.jpg
109KB, 640x480px
>>7513077
your scoring is waaaaay the fuck off op. Do some learnin:

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/handbook/scoring

painting them with eggwhite before you bake them will give them a shine and better color if that is so important to you
>>
File: 20160327_175846~2.jpg (1MB, 2340x3319px) Image search: [Google]
20160327_175846~2.jpg
1MB, 2340x3319px
This shit doesn't even look like a baguette on the inside! Still tastes good.
>>
>>7513127
Shit nigger looks like you used AP flour or not enough yeast.
Bread flour is better, has more gluten so it traps air better and gives a fluffier/airier bread. Try again, you'll do better for sure!
>>
You don't put egg wash on a baguette. It's flour, water, salt and yeast nothing more.

The key is hot steam to get that glossy finish. Also using a good quality bread flour high in gluten.

You need a spray bottle to mist the oven with 2 or 3 times during the baking process and a pan of boiling water under the bread. You need a ripping hot oven at 450 degrees F. Your oven may not be hot enough. Get a in oven thermometer don't trust it. Let it preheat a long time over 30 mins.

You need to work on your baguette size and shape shouldn't be Anerican football shaped. Long tapering torpedo. You can use mesh baugette pan to help.

Get a bread lame and work on your slashes.
Don't give up you are on your way!
>>
>>7513129
I did half and half.
>>
i am not some bread fag so this may be bad advice but i just wet my hand and rub the top of the dough right before putting into the oven

works fine for me
>>
>>7513134
How long'd you let it rise?
Other than that, definitely >>7513129
for reference.
>>
Is making your own bread even worth it?
>>
>>7513099
u have to use a couche so they spread upwards rather than outwards
>>
>>7513154
Desu ne OP
>>
>>7513150
Water wash is a standard thing, helps retard crust growth at first so you get a nice crispy thin one in the end.
>>
>>7513152
>2016
>hasn't tasted absolutely fresh, still warm homemade bread
Disgusting.
Even from an economic standpoint it's worth it, a big bag of fancy whole wheat organic AP flour is like $3.50 where I'm at, less than a loaf of bread, and it can make at least a half dozen loaves depending on size.
Also you get a lot of satisfaction from it desu, and it's a good learning experience.
>>
>>7513151
Forty minutes, then twenty minutes more after I laid them on the pan.

>>7513154
Shit, man. I'd never heard of that before. Thanks.
>>
>>7513077
for the texture make sure you have high protein flour and preferably use a dough kneading machine as it never really turns out the same when kneading by hand. Hos to be kneadd by the kneading machine for 30 minutes.

For shape I roll them out and put them on floured cloths with rolled upp news papers in between to prevent them from floating out, and let them rest for maybe 30 to 60 minutes
>>
>>7513196
Also as said above, spray a lot of water in the oven when putting them in. The tray should be as hot as the oven when putting them on. Also say you have them in for 25 minutes, open the oven after 15 minutes to air out and then once five minutes later
>>
>>7513196
>>7513206
I don't like using machines because I'm a hipster faggot and also poor. This is good stuff though. I'm gonna try again tomorrow.
>>
nobody ITT is dead wrong per se, but tge real answer is that you need baguette pans.

there is no other way to get the shape and texture right even if you se tricks like >>7513196
>with rolled upp news papers in between
this nigga

need the pans, otherwise you never get a true baguette
>>
why is my post always the last post on a thread
>>
>>7513077

shape it tighter
hotter and steamier
score it diagonally and deeper

Baguette pans and couches are not really necessary though helpful.

If you don't like machine kneading or hand kneading you can make it with a no-knead method, letting it bulk-rise for 5-ish hours and/or overnight in the fridge before shaping.
>>
>>7513238
Actually i used to own baguett pans but they disappeared when i moved and the results are pretty much the same when I use the rolled up news papers or simmilar. I put them on a normal tray that i heat up with the oven to very high heat and they actually dont float out. I suppose you could make a substute baguett tray out of aluminum foil or something but i never needed that.
>>
>>7514927

Because you post after everyone else.
>>
>>7513238
That is 100% false. Baguette pans are not required. The vast majority of real, great baguettes are baked directly on a stone or steel.
>>
Ok, I'm gonna try again. I use 100% bread flour, no mix?
>>
Try adding some sriracha for some colour
>>
>>7513110
>painting them with eggwhite before you bake them will give them a shine and better color if that is so important to you
it's not a baguette anymore though. either follow the recipe or don't. But the game of pertend and "who care OK" has no power in a kitchen.
>>
>>7515702
I brushed it with olive oil the first time, but I'll do water this time. Yes?
>>
File: 20160328_134409~2.jpg (2MB, 4160x2249px) Image search: [Google]
20160328_134409~2.jpg
2MB, 4160x2249px
It didn't fucking score properly. Fucking frogs.
>>
>>7513077

Buy bread flour and dough improver. Also an eggwash couldn't hurt.
>>
>>7515444
that's a big bunch of bullshit, my sister was a baker and I've seen the inside of multiple Paris bakeries, you absolutely cannot get a real baguette without the pans except by luck
>>
>>7516760
You just need a couche. People cook them on fucking stone, dude.
>>
Fuck egg wash.
Learn to roll properly and proof accordingly
Dont let the muscle get to flimsey or they will look like shit. 5 bias cuts along the loaf.
Read a book and watch some videos befor makeing baguetts.
Pan of water definatly, but only because it prevents a thick crust and gives shine.
Fuck egg wash its for loosers and hacks!
>>
>>7516760
YOU DONT NEED FANCY PANS JUST THE MEANS TO DO WELL.
ASS HATS NEED PANS LIKE A COCK NEEDS LUBE, YEAH ITS NICE BUT YIU DONT NEED IT
>>
File: 20160222_151031.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160222_151031.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Proper baguetts bitches
>>
>>7516860
I think mine would have been perfect if I had been able to score it properly. I used a razor blade, but it sort of just pulled the dough. I might need one of those special curved knives.
>>
The kneading/rolling out method is important as well. It looks like you didn't build up enough gluten. Take your portion, knead lightly, then roll into a small baguette shape (it shouldn't be possible to roll it out completely yet, if it is you need to knead it more). Let it rest about 5-10 minutes, then roll out more, smack it flat, fold the sides to the middle, then roll to a baguette shape, starting from the middle and working your hands outwards. Use your palms to shape the ends into rounds. Place seam side down, and use a small pairing knife to cut quick diagnal lines. Rest for about 15 minutes before misting with water, and putting in a very hot oven

Source: I worked in a traditional European bread bakery
>>
>>7513171
Why the hell is bread so expensive where you live?
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.