[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It has come to my attention that eating pic related is not ok.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

File: 15607370636_074ecbc70b_b.jpg (165KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
15607370636_074ecbc70b_b.jpg
165KB, 1024x683px
It has come to my attention that eating pic related is not ok.

We don't have this in my country and I started buying it a lot because I think it's really good, but my roommate has advised me that it's nutritionally worthless and that eating it is a sign of poor upbringing.

Can any Americans explain this to me?

p.s. I was told to buy kale instead. I said what about cabbage and she said that's the same thing as lettuce.
>>
>>7493914
Cabbage is good. Kale is good. Lettuce is good.
Eat them all.
>>
>>7493914
Not sure if b8...
>>
iceberg lettuce is mostly crunch water. Not great, not bad. Refreshing if that's what you're after.

Kale has more nutrients and has been elevated to superfood level. Tastes like ass, I personally can only stand it if I wilt it down in something nice and spicy to hide it in. I do not understand the people who chug it down as a smoothie.

Cabbage has a lot nutrients (Cruciferous Vegetables family and all that)... tastes decent, more versatile, IMHO.
>>
lettuce is great for you.
>>
>>7493914
Cabbage is not the same thing as iceberg lettuce. Bend your roommate over and spank her for being wrong.
>>
>>7493925
>Tastes like ass, I personally can only stand it if I wilt it down in something nice and spicy to hide it in.
100% this
>>
both lettuce and cabbage are great for you.

Kale is disgusting and basically inedible raw and probably poisonous.
>>
>>7493934
She is about 50kg overweight, not really my type even if I was a lesbian
>>
>>7493914
Your friend sounds like a pretentious prick, but is kind of right.
It's definitely nutritionally worthless, but i don't think enjoying it is a sign of poor upbringing.
It honestly sounds like you're on the east or west coast.. if that's the case, you may as well switch to something that won't get you judged but lake is only good as chips haha
Go for romaine, butter lettuce, or cabbage. Brussel sprouts as salad is pretty good too! They're like tiny cabbages. Just steam them
>>
>>7493951
>It honestly sounds like you're on the east or west coast..
Yea, I'm in the US. But that doesn't really narrow it down much lol
>>
>>7493914
Cabbage does have nutritional value, just not as much as kale.
Ferment it, and it will have far more than kale.
>>
>>7493945
>50 kg overweight
>trusting her advice on nutrition
>>
>>7493914
Just use baby spinich instead, wa-la!
>>
>>7493914
That's iceburg lettuce, it has no nutritional value and gives some people the shits, buy another type of lettuce and stop being weird. If you still crave the crunch, mix iceburg up with any other green or dark red purple lettuce.
>>
>>7493914
I prefer other lettuces for most things, and wedge salads and half-assed guilt trip salads (almost always made with iceberg) fire up my autism, but besides that, nothing wrong with it. There are some things that it is great for.
>>
>>7493914
Okay, so you hear half truths. If you are trying to pack in some nutrition, yea, the darker green options will have more vitamins. But, it's okay to have water in your food, is it not? Watermelon is an example of that.

Sometimes iceberg lettuce has is crunch, and a pleasant bitter taste. There's something satisfying about it in recipes such as wedge salad, BLT, lettuce cups, whatever you want. It's yummy shredded on a sandwich too, or in a taco.
Once upon a time, it was indeed the most mass produced, maligned, and common lettuce to get when dining out or shopping. We got sick of it, or started to see where it was being used for sheer cost, vs the best lettuce for the job. At this point, buy it because you like it. That's all you need to explain to anyone. (As far as kale goes, or red leaf, or baby mesclum, or arugula....eat a variety of foods, so you get maximum enjoyment and trace minerals both. Have some balance).
>>
>>7493945
why the fuck are you listening to someone double their normal weight about nutrition?
>>
>>7494037
>>50 kg is a normal weight
Maybe if you're a homosexual paedophile who likes women to look like 8 year old boys
>>
>>7493951
>It honestly sounds like you're on the east or west coast

Found the flyover.
>>
If you use any greens other than iceberg on a burger then you are an insufferable hipster faggot.
>>
>>7494041
50kg may be a normal weight but 50kg overweight is not a normal weight
>>
>>7493951

>Brussel sprouts as salad is pretty good too! They're like tiny cabbages. Just steam them

Steaming Brussels sprouts is pretty much the worst way of cooking them.

What you're gonna want to do is cut those little loli cabbages into halves, then toss them in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Then you spread them out on a sheet pan and roast them in a hot oven, turning them once or twice, until they start to caramelize. This works with endive as well. It really brings out the sweetness in the vegetables and gives them a much better texture.
>>
>>7494521
Romaine is infinitely better on a sandwich/burger than iceberg.
>>
>>7493914
It's not bad for you and it's not nutritionally worthless. It's not as good as other leafy greens but If you like it eat it.
>>
>>7494881
Or if you're not worried about fats , you can cook em like tasty cabbage, shredded and cooked in a bit of butter
>>
File: Boston-Bibb-Lettuce-Main.jpg (278KB, 625x526px) Image search: [Google]
Boston-Bibb-Lettuce-Main.jpg
278KB, 625x526px
>>7494521
incorrect
>>
>OP is apparently in America
>Uses kilograms

??????
>>
There is no vegetable that is "nutritionally worthless". You guys need to quit spouting memes and look at the facts. Also you need to stop being fucking idiots and thinking a vegetable is "better" for you because it supplies 500 times your requirements of some random vitamin per piece. That's not how it works. If you meet your requirements, you're set. If your diet is anywhere near half-decent, you will always meet your requirements, especially meme vitamins like vitamin C that are everywhere. Therefore, the only thing that matters is what additional beneficial nutrients there are in the food. Lettuce and cabbage are full of beneficial nutrients.
>>
>>7494930
they're obviously from a different country and now residing in america and haven't gotten used to the imperial system yet, what's not to get dumbass
>>
The idea that lettuce is 'nutritionally worthless' is a myth propagated by the morbidly obese to make excuses for themselves as to why they take it off their burgers before shoving them into their disgusting faces. Don't fall for it or you're one of them.
>>
File: in.jpg (126KB, 443x473px) Image search: [Google]
in.jpg
126KB, 443x473px
>>7494964
>can't do math in your head
>calling others a dumbass to cover your insecurities
>>
>>7494521
I like sprouts on my burgers
>>
>>7493914
romaine lettuce is better than iceberg
>>
>>7493914
i've heard iceberg lettuce is just water; low nutrient value. Lots of people recommend kale but I don't eat that shit. So anytime I order any salad I replace iceberg lettuce with spinich; i've actually grown to love spinach, even raw without dressing. I top all my sandwiches with it or add it to omelettes, and even eat full handfuls of it if it's fresh enough. Haven't tried it canned though.
>>
>>7494918
objectively the best type of lettuce.
>>
>>7496213
underrated post
>>
>>7494521
>iceberg
>not cos
>>
>>7494041
50 kg OVERWEIGHT
>>
>>7494764
>>7496644
original guy said 50kg overweight is double their normal weight, which indicates that 50kg is their normal weight

he's still an idiot, 50kg/110 pounds is pretty normal for women, especially shorter ones who don't lift
>>
>>7494881
>>7493914
Shit, i meant don't steam them...
>>7494401
I'm from Indiana... one of the worst..
>>
>>7495544
how does them not being used to the imperial system mean i cant do math in my head? learn to reading comprehension
>>
>>7493914
treating anything like it's the best food ever and you need to have it multiple times every day or you'll be malnourished isn't a good way to think about anything.

is it nutritionally worthless? no, it does provide some nutrition and it's still a green leafy vegetable. you should still try to keep your diet varied and eat different leafy greens too.

cabbage isn't the same thing as lettuce. she sounds like someone who follows food fads religiously and is now worshiping kale. kale is just another leafy green, it's good but it's not the best thing ever which makes everything else worthless.

basically, this >>7493921
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.