[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /ck/ Tonight I'll be cooking pork chops, although I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: shutterstock_570627.jpg (574KB, 800x532px) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_570627.jpg
574KB, 800x532px
Sup /ck/

Tonight I'll be cooking pork chops, although I have no fucking idea what I can do with them to make them god-tier. Any hints or tips would be great. I'll be doing a potato gratin and string beans as a side dish, and I have a pretty stacked spice rack, so throw some suggestions my way.

Cheers guys.
>>
>>7492331
It would help to know more about the chops you have in order to make suggestions. How thick are they? Bone-in or not? Is the skin still on them or not?
>>
after you fry them, add chopped onions to the pan. brown them a bit and add vinegar. or apple cider.
>>
>>7492368
No bone in them, skinless too. Plenty of fat though. They were discounted at the butchers, so I thought fuck it, why not.
>>
>>7492381
This could work, maybe if I also added some garlic, ginger and soy sauce to that, I could make something similar to Filipino adobo?
>>
sear them, and finish in the oven. in the same pan, saute shallot, garlic, and rosemary, then deglaze with apple cider. reduce the cider a bit, then cut the heat and whisk in cubes of cold butter, as if making beurre blanc, until the sauce starts to thicken. depending on how heavily you season your chops, the sauce may or may not need salt and pep added.
>>
>>7492331
Do some type of gravy on them hoes
>>
They are incredibly versatile. Almost any flavors you enjoy can be used. But I'll tell you what I would make based on your side dishes.

>season with salt/pepper/thyme/rosemary (or whatever you like)
>rub them with any neutral oil with a high smoke point
>sear them in a pan that isn't crowded, get as much color on them as you can
>finish them in the oven if necessary, don't cook them past medium well
>remove them from the pan to rest
>add shallots and garlic to the pan, cook them briefly
>deglaze the pan with a dry white wine and reduce it almost to a syrup, scrape up the fond
>add a small amount of chicken stock a reduce it slightly
>finish the sauce with cream and reduce again or mount the sauce with butter off the heat
>stir in good quality (not yellow) mustard at the very end if you like mustard
>strain the sauce

There are different ways to make a pan sauce, but the basic idea is to utilize all the browned bits in the bottom of your pan because they taste amazing. You can make it purely savory or replace the stock with some lemon juice/vinegar if you want something tangy
>>
>>7492385
Thanks.

>>7492395
I was going to suggest something nearly identical to that, actually! Sear, roast in oven with herbs, then make a pan sauce.
>>
>>7492331
The keys to keeping them juicy are to either salt or brine them beforehand and keep an eye on the temperature - don't overcook them.
>>
>>7492412
i think that a good sear, plus pan sauce is a great method for chops. that particular recipe is something we do at the restaurant. i jokingly refer to it as "beurre pomme".

i am a huge fan of the flavor of pork, and feel like doesn't always get the credit it deserves. this is mostly due to the fact people have a tendency to overcook it, which makes it so tough, and saps all the flavor from the meat. i cook my pork to 130-135F, and let it rest for a few minutes. this is a perfectly acceptable doneness for pork, and results in juicy, tender chops.
>>
>>7492462
>mostly due to the fact people have a tendency to overcook it

Agreed. The shitty quality of factory-farmed pork doesn't help either. That applies to both the flavor of the meat due to shitty feed, as well as the tendency for people to be paranoid about fat these days and therefore the meat is too lean.

Agreed 100% about the doneness though. Far too many people overcook pork.
>>
>>7492497
Can you provide me any protips to avoid overcooking my pork?
>>
lil S+P and a nice sear
>>
>>7492503

Brining the meat first will help provide a bit of cushion so even if you do overcook it it won't be as tough.

As for the cooking itself:
1) Use a thermometer
2) Remember that the temperature will increase a little during the resting period, so pull it out from the heat when it measures about 5 degrees lower than what you're shooting for.
>>
>>7492516
Ok, I'm functionally retarded when it comes to cooking.

What is Brining, in this case?
>>
Simple seasoning of salt and pepper
Sear in a pan and finish off in the oven
Deglaze the pan with red wine and rosemary and reduce, season to taste
>>
>>7492522

Brining is soaking meat in brine (salt water) before cooking it.
>>
I've heard "enough salt and pepper that you can see it from across the room" for pork chops. A shitload of butter to baste them helps too.

As a rough guideline for cooking, you can fry a pork chop in under eight minutes, if you don't have a thermometer you'll have to go by touch. Hold one hand out relaxed and poke the fat part of the palm below your thumb. Gradually clench your fist and feel how it changes. That's what meat going from raw to overdone feels like, you want to take it off and let it rest while it's still a bit squashable.
>>
>>7492531
>you can fry a pork chop in under eight minutes

Kinda silly to mention a time without discussing thickness.
>>
>>7492497
such a shame that the pork most people are exposed to comes from shitty farming practices..happy, healthy pigs just taste better, plain and simple.

>>7492522
brining involves some food science that i'm not nearly qualified enough to explain, but it would suffice that placing meat(especially pork and poultry) in a cold salt water solution for several hours allows the cells to hydrate themselves through a process called osmosis. this keeps the meat moist and flavorful, even if overcooked. some people, myself included, swear by this method.

to make a brine for your chops, add 2Tablespoons of kosher salt and 4Tablespoons of sugar to 1 quart of cold water. thoroughly whisk until the salt and sugar are dissolved. place your pork chops in the solution, making sure that they are fully submerged, for 4 hours, or up to one day. pull them out, pat them dry with paper towels, and proceed with whatever preparation you've decided on.
>>
>>7492522
if you don't have time to brine, make sure you at least salt the chops generously and let them sit for 30 minutes before you cook them. that'll help retain some moisture.
>>
>>7492579

That does the opposite. It draws moisture out of the pork which helps you get a better sear. It's not a bad idea, it just doesn't do what you think it does.
>>
>>7492534
Good point, I'm specifically thinking of bone in pork chops where the thickness between ribs is usually pretty similar from pig to pig.
>>
>>7492626
hmm. interesting. i always thought the salt kept the juices from evaporating away. i guess all i know is that salting ahead of time definitely makes for a tastier pork chop.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.