[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why hasn't fast food been 100% automated yet? The technology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 4

File: replacement-workers.png (329KB, 600x461px) Image search: [Google]
replacement-workers.png
329KB, 600x461px
Why hasn't fast food been 100% automated yet? The technology has been there for at least a decade, and the food would be way more consistent and service would be faster.

Is the cost of full automation still higher than the total cost of paying wages?
>>
>>7478052
>Is the cost of full automation still higher than the total cost of paying wages?
Yes.
>>
>tfw so desperate for a job im willing to work for 7.00 hr
>>
>>7478063

When will that change?
>>
>>7478069
Hopefully never.
>>
fast food companies need people to be paid fast food wages so that they'll always have people eating fast food at fast food prices
you freakin silly goon gumpa lol
>>
>>7478063
Nah it's probably cut down on costs in the long run. The upfront costs are a lot, but you don't have to give whatever minimal healthcare to machines.
>>
>>7478083
You kind of do actually. Machines still need to be maintained.

And the up front cost is exactly why it won't happen for a long time, if ever. Do you think McDonald's is willing to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to automate every one of their restaurants when they can just pay a bunch of humans minimum wage instead?

Healthcare isn't even an issue for a lot of low wage people anyway since so many companies skirt around needing to pay out benefits by just having a bunch of part time workers who don't qualify for benefits.
>>
>>7478091
It costs McDs 25 dollars an hour to hire me and repair their machines. It'll be at most 2-3 hours MAX depending on what exactly on it isn't working. It most certainly is cheaper than people.
>>
>>7478074
>Never
You spelled "tomorrow" wrong.

Because when I say no pickles to the machine, I know I won't get any shitty pickles.
>>
>>7478052
I bet some underpaid worker would break that touch screen.
>>
>>7478091
They have these machines in France so I don't see why they won't be integrating them worldwide. If you order in bulk it's cheaper. Plus you can cut down on kitchen staff and probably get away with 2-3 at Rush times. And you can avoid a lot of legal hassle around hiring and benefits.
>>
Its because most people are too stupid to work a point of sale system no matter how bright and friendly the pictures are.
>>
>>7478102

I'm talking FULL automation. Machines and robots cooking food, putting it together, and serving it.

POS ordering is small time.
>>
>>7478116
Nigga you should've just said that in the first place.
It's too expensive now but give it 20 or so years. Technology will eventually replace a vast majority of low skill jobs.
>>
>>7478120
Including most managerial roles, which when it comes down to it are frequently some of the lowest skill jobs in an organization.
>>
>>7478116
then that would be something like 7/11 or ampm.
>>
>>7478083
I think McDonalds was the first company to get an exemption to Obamacare, and other fast food chains followed. They don't even have to pay for healthcare and it's still cheaper in the long run to automate the systems because they aren't having to train a new employee every week, slowing their whole system down and creating more fuck ups.
>>
>>7478100
No you don't. The people making it are usually the ones who either forget or don't care to leave pickles off your food.
>>
>>7478162
I also want an automated kitchen. More hygienic and accurate.
>>
As far as I know, Sunocco already has these little automated screens for the little sandwich restaurant they have in their gas stations. Works alright most of the time. The menu said it had a chicken tender sandwich, but the screen didn't have that as an option, so I had to call over one of the cooks to help me figure it out. It was mislabeled. Sandwich was pretty good, even though they got my bread wrong somehow.

Automated ordering won't fix high-as-fuck nigger cooks from fucking up your order.

But really, it wouldn't cost much to outfit a few stores with automated ordering machines every year. Doesn't have to be every McDonald's, but if they outfitted 5% of their stores every year...well, it'd be a start.
>>
What will all the humans do when machines make us obsolete?
>>
>>7478052
>Why hasn't fast food been 100% automated yet?

It's already happening though, there's a mc D's in pheonix that's all automated
>>
File: 1453744277817.png (278KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1453744277817.png
278KB, 500x376px
http://newsexaminer.net/food/mcdonalds-to-open-restaurant-run-by-robots/

http://newsexaminer.net/food/mcdonalds-to-open-25000-robot-run-stores-by-2016/

minimum wage welfare leeches BTFO

this is the greatest news of my life tbqh
>>
>>7478063

>robot doesn't need health coverage or insurance
>robot doesn't need a pay raise the longer it operates
>robot doesn't call out sick because of diarrhea when they're really at home smoking weed and playing the division
>robot doesn't mis-count customer's change and accidentally give away money
>robot doesn't need a minimum operating time of 40 hours a week
>robot doesn't try to fist-fight customer when customer spits in it's face
>robot handles customer complaints in a predetermined systematic order designed to maximize customer satisfaction
>>
>>7478188
>robot doesn't call out sick because of diarrhea when they're really at home smoking weed and playing the division

Modern-day Turing test material, right here.
>>
>>7478177
A twenty-to-hundred year period of horrific riots, the likes of which have never before been seen, as the rich resist giving up their exponential profits on automation to provide for the displaced working class.

When they finally give in, a post-scarcity economy where food and material goods are so trivially cheap it's pointless to charge for them at all. Artistic, cultural, political, and intellectual pursuits become the only thing humans can produce for which there is still a market. Those that choose not to do any of those live in leisure anyway.
>>
>>7478069
It's tough to gauge. In places where there are assembly lines there has been great strides meanwhile in places where there is a large amount of customer interaction things have moving much slower.

Example, after Amazon acquired a robotics company (rebranded to Amazon Robotics), they have deployed in large scale robots that sort and move items in the Amazon warehouses. Amazon employees can't complain about losing jobs that were never made for them in first place.
>>
>>7478206
>Riots that are suppressed by drones with HMGs mounted on them.
>>
>>7478188
>robot isn't a high school chick with a tight body that you have an acceptable excuse to stare at for a brief period
Why exactly would I go to McDonald's anymore?
>>
>work in a grocery store
>self checkouts installed
hurr they replacin' us with machines
>only change to hours were that they added 2 full time 40/wk positions
>>
>>7478184
>I’m a people person, how many times do I have to say this? I deal with the damn customer so they don’t have to make their own burgers. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people!
>I could set the building on fire

So... this is a parody?
>>
>>7478116

A very long time ago. The front end is easy, the back end is hard. Robots are good at assembling the same thing over and over but when there are choices and options they've been proven to be worse than humans. A car company (I believe Mercedes) just replaced a bunch of it's robots with humans because the humans were faster at the customizing parts than the robots were.

So cooks are safe for quite a while, front end should already be doomed.
>>
at least 40% of all 4chan would be out of work if robots did replace fast food workers.
>>
>>7478937
>self checkouts
fucking doesn't work because you get the senile and moronic holding everybody up
>>
>>7478083
No matter how modern and advanced machines are, they still need humans to keep an eye on them.
I worked in a factory for 4 years on some old and some new machines and they all fucked up equally. After I left a friend told me, in an area requiring 4 workers they replaced the machines to only require 1, but the machines fuck up so much it still requires 4 people. Also machines can't do customer service and customers will want to talk to humans if things go wrong, so McD's will probably never be 100% automated.
>>
>>7478101
I bet some retarded customer would break it.
>>
>>7478126
This, desu. So many white collar jobs exist just for the sake of over-managing.
>>
I think it's still cheaper to employ a revolving door of minimum wage employees for 12 hours a week each. Eventually the cost of the automation technology will go down once it matures.
>>
Why would Mcdonalds want to replace minimum wage slaves with machines that require a logistics chain?

Even with the minimum wage laws changing in select states the TCO for a fully automated service system would be much to high to even seriously consider.
>>
>>7479462
They're the standard here in Australia, the system works perfectly fine.
>>
>>7478052

Because there needs to be work for the inexperienced, desperate, and elderly. There needs to be some work anyone can do when they move to a new city or want to take a break from very demanding jobs like
>>
People are too stupid to serve themselves
>>
Those machines are way too expensive to not be stolen from their low income neighbourhood locations.
>>
as someone who studied economics, that will never happen and low wage employees are required for a sustained economy, cutting off the low wage means you won't have as much currency in circulation

its the same reason why you faggots pay for welfare for retarded hillbillies , its necessary for the economy
>>
Let me put on my tinfoil hat for a second.

Isn't it safe to assume that if we just do this for our convenience, there will be no point in jobs ever? For anything? Because machines can do them all?
So we kinda need to limit our technology.
>>
Sonic will never become automated.
>>
Do you really think McDonald's patrons will be smart enough to order from a machine without screaming at it?
>>
>>7479670
I'm not saying you're wrong but:

>implying it is the duty of a private business to keep low wage jobs so currency can circulate
>>
>>7478451
>Walking into a McDonald's instead of going thru drive-thru
>>
>>7479748
>not wanting qt 3.14 robot waitresses on rollerskates delivering your shit-tier fast food to your car
>>
>>7479808

Why the fuck would I want to go through the drive through?

-I'm not a disgusting slob who eats in his car

-I'd much rather eat my food as fresh as possible rather than letting it sit in a bag and get soggy while I go somewhere else.

-I'm not an autist who is afraid of human interaction inside.
>>
>>7479842

>sitting inside alone at a Mcdonalds eating your meal and playing your 3DS

Sure you're not an autist.
>>
>>7479670
>>7479735

The study and philosophy around this topic are fascinating.

>>7478206

What an amazing world that would be.
>>
>>7479735
If we replace everything with machines, which also includes repairing and building new machines, there won't be any need for jobs for the most part.
>>
>>7478052
Maybe in another 100 years when everyone is accustomed to using tech, then yes
Some +30 aged folks n grannies arnt so they would rather talk to someone.
I get paid 13 an hr running front till
Im quick with my shit
Im always high
>>
>>7478052
>Why hasn't fast food been 100% automated yet?

Because it's less fun to berate a computer when it gets your order wrong.
>>
>>7481917

>Computer
>Getting things wrong

That's the whole point. They don't.
>>
>>7481922
That won't stop people from being retards and ordering the wrong thing themselves and then blaming the computer for fucking it up.
>>
>>7481933

>Computer is always right. No Refunds.

Problem solved.
>>
>>7478052
Of course the cost of full automation is higher than the total cost of wages, or they would have done it by now. You guys act as if McDonald's doesn't have analysts evaluating this stuff. If it made sense, they probably would have done it.
>>
>>7481938
Yeah, that'll never work.
>>
>>7478052
>The technology has been there for at least a decade, and the food would be way more consistent and service would be faster.

No it hasn't and no it won't. We literally are just now getting to point where the idea is even feasible.
>>
>>7481951

Why? You have shit like gas pumps where you pretty much can't contest the cost because the machine is always right already.
>>
>>7481967
That's a shitty analogy, but you can always go in and bitch at the person working the counter in the store if the gas pump malfunctions.
>>
>>7481922
Yes, my computer has certainly never crashed. Computers are flawless.
>>
>>7481990

Crashing is not the same as making mistakes. When was the last time you used the calculator on your computer and it gave you the wrong answer?
>>
>>7478052
McDonald's (and other fast food restaurants) get tax breaks and other incentives for hiring "at risk" populations... mentally challenged, immigrants, low income etc.

I don't know the exact numbers but with the current minimum wage they're basically getting paid for these people working for them.
>>
>>7482029
To be fair those tax benefits aren't specifically targeted at the fast food industry, the fast food industry is just is just uniquely positioned to take advantage of them with their low compensation, low barrier to entry, and high turnover rate.
>>
>>7481816
That's exactly what I mean. Then what would be the point of us living the way we do? Yeah it may be just a cashier job, but pretty soon we'll have automated road crews and machined carpenters and other things like that, which will put people in those career markets out of them. Technology needs to be limited unless everyone is cool with just creating our own extinction.
That may seem more dire than it really is, but I look at it from a long-term scenario.
>>
>>7482360

Look up Post Scarcity Society. Star Trek is the easiest example. Automation and replicators and the like make it so work isn't necessary. Everyone is essentially on welfare but since costs are so low and resources so abundant that the balance never really needs to be checked.

Each person then devotes themselves to whatever they want, improving themselves.
>>
>>7478083
McDonald's doesn't offer health care
>>
>>7482366
My paranoid self is always worried the machines that do this stuff will one day become self-aware. And there goes the human race. Even with them doing the work for us, it'd still feel like living with a bomb that had no known timer.
>>
>>7482372
They shouldn't have to. Nobody over the age of 25 should be working there part time.
>>
>>7482378

Self awareness is unlikely to manifest itself. AI has reached an advanced enough point we don't need to push it much further.
>>
>>7482372

Why do 18 year olds need healthcare?
>>
There will still be people cooking in the back, so not all of the jobs will be gone.

The one job that's easy and anyone can do SHOULD be replaced asap.
>>
>>7482380
But people DO want to push it further. We're gonna get to the point where 20-foot tall holograms projected from our smart phones will be boring. It's all in the mind of innovation. Whatever we have, someone wants to make it bigger or better in some way. And with all the advancement we've had in the last twenty years alone, I'm convinced it's quickly coming up.
>>
>>7482379
Welcome to the land of the free.

Where everyone is a slave.
>>
>>7482404
Enjoy spending your rent money on supporting Bernie, cuck.
>>
>>7482406
I live in the US, I obviously can't afford rent.
>>
>>7478052
But how can our already struggling college students get by with even less entry level jobs?
>>
>>7482419

There are always roads to pave and ditches to dig.
>>
I stopped going to fast foods because of the forced social contact with the cashier.
This would probably make me interested in visiting fast food again.
>>
>>7482564
Great, Mcd's will be filled with basement dwelling little faggots now
>>
>>7482419
Prostitution.
>>
>>7479384
I want to also add to your post that the level of complexity for a fully automated service is more in the realm of robotics that the DoD is looking for. Things like Amazon Robotics are more industrial in origin and would not suit the complexity of all the scenarios presented in a fast food establishment.

Alphabet is currently looking to sell off their recent acquisition Boston Robotics because it seems the only way to make complex robotics profitable (at the moment) is to deal with DoD.

tl;dr you won't get your fully automated fast food place until the DoD gets their self-autonomous death robots first.
>>
>>7478052
Related article.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/carl-jr-ceo-predicts-future-203203237.html
>>
>>7482382
broken bones
>>
>>7483048

Well war has always been the primary drive for innovation. More technological advancements came out of WWII than any other period in history.
>>
File: Mecha_Sonic.jpg (862KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
Mecha_Sonic.jpg
862KB, 1632x1224px
>>7479748
Dude he did that like 20 years ago.
>>
>>7478083
the purpose of the machines isn't to replace employees. it's to serve an even higher volume of people.

they can't replace the cashiers with screens, normies are too dumb to even use screens. screens are just another hole for a few more customers to fall through.
>>
Is Mc Donalds a high stress place to work?
>>
>>7478188
>implying you dont do the same at your shit job
>>
>>7478074
You have to be joking, right?
>>
>>7478184
>/newsexaminer.net

lol i read that as 'new sex aimer.net'
>>
>>7485161
There are stressors: customers who don't get what they want, employees who don't know what they're doing, heat, noise, side duties. But "high stress?" Nah. Largely because there's very little consequence and if you can get a job at McDonald's you can get a job at Wendy's, Wal Mart, BK, KFC etc in that fashion and you don't even need a resume or any real prior experience so you don't even need to say that you got fired/walked out if you did.
>>
>Libtards actually think a 15 dollar per hour minimum wage is a good idea
What a good idea, why don't we start printing money while we're at it.
>>
>>7485265
>>>/pol/
>>
>>7485280
>>>/r/eddit
Feel the Bern :^)
>>
>>7485139
This, have you seen people try and use self checkouts? I've watched that one lonely overseer employee they have watching the 6-8 machines run themselves ragged trying to help the tards who try and use them.
Shit, the only reason why I use them is because Walmart thinks its a good idea to only have 5 of the 20 registers manned on the day people get their welfare.
>>
>>7485265
God forbid people actually have money to put into the economy and sustain themselves.
>>
>>7478937
>Can't buy alcohol at self-checkout in Cali.
>Who the fuq doesn't buy alcohol every time?
>>
>>7479437
It will never be 100%, but the work force WILL be cut drastically.
>>
>>7482547
>>there are always roads to pave and ditches to dig
you are retarded, first of all, ditch digging is not an entry level job, you need to be able to work with heavy machinery, second of all, the people in charge of our infrastructure and voters in general always resist taxes that help roads and infrastructure be maintained, especially in places where fast food is popular. the roads when you aren't connected directly to a lake or coast are absolutely fucking attrocious. even the side walks are broken messes of shit. no one has filled a single pot hole near where I live in the entire year i've been here. Riding by bike anywhere is a legit health hazard.
>>
>>7478184
Yeah...just take what little earnings they do make so that we can fully support them.
>>
boomers.

because they don't understand technology and will not get the opportunity to blame at an overworked, underpaid highschooler for fucking up their own order.
Thread posts: 107
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.