[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the general consensus on jhonny walker? baby's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11

File: 180175_6Cybg3VSh.jpg (48KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
180175_6Cybg3VSh.jpg
48KB, 600x600px
What's the general consensus on jhonny walker?

baby's first whiskey?
poor man's whiskey?
>>
>>7472663
Black Label: Just get Jack Daniels you ain't fancy

Red Label: Guy who barely drinks. But he offered me free liquor. Ok, on the rocks.
>>
>>7472663
Double black is the only good one because it actually offered something different but the other "labels" you can get a better tasting scotch do the same price.

In other words it's price class is one step up from its quality or taste class. In Australia at least it's 10 dollaridoos so if you pay 45 bucks for a black label you could get an equally pleasing scotch for 35.
>>
>>7472676

>just get Jack Daniel's

Except Jack Daniel's is bourbon and thus tastes like fucking shit... Of course Walker isn't anything great but for a fairly inexpensive scotch it's completely fine, when I can't afford a bottle of chivas regal, Walker is my go to cheap whiskey.
>>
>>7472663
red label is pretty much undrinkable
black label is okay, double black is better
gold and especially green are surprisingly good
blue is very good but meme tier
>>
hard liquor isn't food. buzz off spammer.
>>
>>7472676
JW Black tastes far better than JD
>>
>>7473010
Even if this dude is a viral marketer, being paid to suffer on a Mongolian flipbook teleconference, hard liquor is a consumable substance that people enjoy the flavor of, and it's got a role in society closer to food or dessert than a drug. You're stuck dealing with alcohol shitposting
>>
>>7472663
I've heard it's bad except blue label. Which I've heard is expensive.
>>
Black is acceptable, but slightly expensive. I'd rather go with one of the cheaper single malts. I remember seeing Speyburn 10 for like $25, surprisingly good for being cheap as fuck. Glenfiddich and Glenlivet are always cheap, but it seems like Glenlivet is going the NAS route so maybe the're not so reliable anymore. I've seen Glenfarclas $10 for around $35, which is basically the same as JW black. The blend Isle of Skye has an 8 year old that I've found for cheap as dicks, on occasion. Balvenie 12 USED to be that cheap last year, but apparently became popular.
>>
>>7473100
The NAS route exists to help reserves of the older whiskies to last a little longer. There are some great NAS whiskies out there, I'm a fan of the Glenlivet Founders Reserve which has seemingly earned the chagrin of some snobby types.
>>
>>7472676
>Red Label
>Ok, on the rocks
Get out of here. Shit is nasty unless it's mixed with coke.
Jack Daniels is also nasty unless mixed.
>>
>>7472663
>jhonny walker?
Johnnie Walker
>whiskey?
whisky

I like to keep a bottle of black label and red label in my cabinet. Black label isn't anything special, but it is nice for sipping on the rocks and its not as pricey as a good single malt. I wouldn't drink red label straight, but its good with Coke.
>>
>>7473424

>infantpallet.jpg

Grown ups are talking.

Shhhh, go play in the corner.
>>
>>7473455
I'll bite.
JW Red and JD are not enjoyable without additions. If you honestly believe that either of these are recommended or even enjoyable on their own, then your palate is accustomed to swill.
Mix trash with soda or move on.
>>
File: 1865888681.jpg (67KB, 596x628px) Image search: [Google]
1865888681.jpg
67KB, 596x628px
>>7473521
>soda
>>
File: poor.jpg (631KB, 2048x1393px)
poor.jpg
631KB, 2048x1393px
>>7472663
Blended scotch is for mixing pretty much exclusively. If you like the way one of the Johnny Walkers mixes into your favorite drink, then get that one.

Drinking it straight or buying a particular grade to show off is just dumb, because nobody cares what you're mixing so long as it's good. If you want something for snob value, get a single malt.
>>
>>7473583
>nice things are snobby
>>
>>7473353

>The NAS route exists to help reserves of the older whiskies to last a little longer.

Thing is, they could easily just put out younger bottlings and be honest about it. I know that younger whiskey can be good. If they have confidence that their product is good, they should put an age on it for the sake of transparency. I can respect something honestly labeled 7 years or whatever, and evaluate it for what it is. If they don't put the age, it makes me just think that they know it isn't really ready but they don't want to put a lower number on that bottle in a way that might draw attention to that fact. I don't think this is motivated by snobbery, for me at least, it is about not being kept in the dark by producers of the things I buy and maximizing the value of what I buy.

I of course understand that leaving off ages makes sense for blends of many ages, where the mandatory fact that the age advertised can be no higher than the age of the youngest component, might give an unfair impression to such a blend.
>>
>>7472663
Johnny is my only friend along with Jim Beam, Jack Daniels and Glen Morangie
>>
>>7473583
>Blended scotch is for mixing pretty much exclusively
False.
>>
>>7474512
>>nice things
>implying
>>
>>7472663
>baby's first whiskey?
>poor man's whiskey?

Uninformed man's whiskey.

Not all completely bad, but their decent offerings can be found at 1/3 the price for similar whiskeys.
>>
>>7472663
Its good,i like both,black is better than red,many people like to mix red i like it straight no need to prolong the suffering
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>7473583
Nope. I have good taste in scotch and I think black label is just fine for sipping on the rocks. I think I'll have a glass now.
>>
>>7473583
Single malts are easier to drink straight, blends tend to have a more complicated flavour profile and so it's more in your face. I prefer single malts but blends like Dimple, Johnny Walker Swing and Isle of Jura are quite nice.
>>
File: what kobe.gif (2MB, 198x222px)
what kobe.gif
2MB, 198x222px
>>7472676
>Just get Jack Daniels

Jack is NOT a replacement for Black Label.
>>
>>7472835
>bourbon and thus tastes like fucking shit
please go
JD is just shit in general, bourbon is good
>>
keep walking
>>
>>7475571
Isle of jura is a single malt distillery.
>>
>>7474665
This. JW is okay (well, except red, which it atrocious, and green, which is surprisingly solid for a blend) but you can get far better scotch for substantially less money. Especially true of JW blue- you can buy a pretty god-tier bottle of single malt for the same price. For instance, you could buy a bottle of Glenfarclas 21 year old AND a bottle of Lagavulin 16 for the same money as one bottle of JW blue, at least where I live. If you want to go head to head, it's against real flagship malts like glenmorangie signet or glenfarclas 40 year old.
>>
>>7473583
I recently posted in the other whisky page but I've been sipping Thé Beag recently, and its fucking glorious.
Some blended scotchs are really bad, but there are plenty of solid's out there. I wouldn't call Black Label anything to rave about but its a classic by my standards.
>>
>>7475859
>Green label
Has anyone actually seen JW green in ever? At least here in Ontario(Canada) I haven't seen it forever.
>>
>>7475892
It's been mostly a US limited-edition release this year. I heard rumors LCBO is reintroducing Johnnie Green soon.
>>
>>7475892
Got it down here in Massachusetts-stan
>>
File: laughadam.gif (928KB, 500x246px)
laughadam.gif
928KB, 500x246px
>>7473063
>Mongolian flipbook teleconference
>mfw
need to get to the other side of the room and retrieve my sides
>>7472663
>general consensus
for once there's a general consensus on 4ch
>red label
cheap vodka with caramel for color
>black label
okay, don't have a clue about double black
>blue label
good
>green label
very good
>gold label
better than okay but worse than good
>>7473583
>Blended scotch is for mixing pretty much exclusively.
also whisky is the most manly drink and japanese whisky is neet shit
>>
File: CI12.jpg (117KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
CI12.jpg
117KB, 1000x1000px
>>7472807
>>7472986
If you like black label and think double black is even better, you'd probably dig Caol Ila 12. Double black is like black label with an extra dose of Caol Ila 12.
>>
>>7473452
Fuck off with your whisky spelling garbage your pretentious faggot.
Whiskey and whisky mean the same thing. Spelling differences are a regional variance.
Backwards scottish cunts dont use an 'E'. If they spelled beer without an e would you be spelling it 'ber'?
>>
>>7477194
I know that one it tastes like sea vulcano really pungent but really tasty
>>
File: gfdob.12yo.jpg (351KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
gfdob.12yo.jpg
351KB, 900x1200px
>>7472663
Baby's first: Glenfiddich 12
Poor man's: Grants with Coke.

Johnny Walker: Like Mercedes S-Class, heavly branded but used by assholes...
>>
File: ardbeguigeadail.jpg (44KB, 494x492px) Image search: [Google]
ardbeguigeadail.jpg
44KB, 494x492px
pic related - greatest value in Scotch.
$65 scotch that tastes like $200+
>>
>>7477301
whiskey coming from the US and canada is usually referred to as whiskey
whisky coming from the other side of the pond is referred to as whisky instead
>>
>>7477376

right here motherfucker. by far and away my favorite scotch and ive had many over or around the 200 price point, best among which was probably a fine oak macallan 18 and Oogie blows it out of the water for around 70.
>>
>>7477376
there are lots of positive comments that you could throw at ardbeg that i would happily agree with.... good value isn't one of them. the whisky industry in general is a bit of a scam in terms of value
>>
File: ancob.18yo.jpg (297KB, 900x1200px)
ancob.18yo.jpg
297KB, 900x1200px
>>
>>7477569
eh... it's all relative, m8. For the most part I agree with you, but we're talking price point and taste. My point about uigeadail is that you're getting a scotch with a refined taste waaaaay above its price point. No age statement be damned, that's some fine swill.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP51NnoVErA
>>
>>7472835
>jack
>bourbon
pick one,and only one faggit.
>>7472986
Im right there with ya, almost. The gold(if you can get it) was really good. The green imo was meh. Blue is very good, just too much dosh. They have a new Gold out but it sucks cock compared to the original 18 yr Gold.
>>7475892
Discontinued. Anything they call green now is something different. I have not seen it tho. Lucky for you that store probably has a shitload of old Green laying about.
>whiskey
It's what you like anon. Not what other people tell you is good.
>>
>>7477376
>$65

I've never seen it for less than $90.
>>
>>7472663
I don't drink but I do collect bottles and I must say that is a pretty sexy looking one.
>>
>>7477632
http://www.totalwine.com/spirits/scotch/single-malt/ardbeg-uigeadail/p/36672750?s=509&igrules=true
Maybe it's just my local shop, but I've never paid more than $70 for it.
>>
>>7477592
>forcing himself to not smile when making a joke
What a joyless cunt
>>
>>7477194
im the guy who likes gold and green most, and im actually a lot more intto single malts. i havent had that caol ila, but i imagine it to be like a mix of lagavulin and highland park. but then im more a speyside guy and prefer the sweet fruity and floral malts over the peaty island whiskies. have both sorts in my collection tho. my ultra favorites so far are the sherry cask macallan 12, highland park 16 and a fantastic balvenie which tasted like bananas, i think it was the single barrel. japanese single malts are great too
>>
>>7477549
Yeh no fucking shit.
Just because whiskey autists do it, doesnt make it right.
Whiskey or whisky, a spirit distilled fron grain aged in wood, the only difference is spelling, ignoring the autustic 'implied' regional variance in the product.
>>
>>7477617
>thinking jack is not a bourbon
>sucking cock
you know the rest
>>
File: 142421.jpg (37KB, 478x782px) Image search: [Google]
142421.jpg
37KB, 478x782px
>>7472663

There is nothing wrong with red. There's a lot of bad plastic bottled whisky out there. Red is not one of them.

>Not drinking red throughout the day to stay lubricated like Sir Winston Churchill did.

Churchill’s favourite whisky was, perhaps surprisingly, not a single malt but a blend. Johnnie Walker Red Label formed the basis of his daily whisky and water; a drink which his children called a 'Papa Cocktail’. This consisted simply of a tipple of Johnnie Walker covering the bottom of a glass, then filled with water and sipped throughout the day.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/winston-churchill/11374144/How-to-drink-like-Winston-Churchill.html
>>
My first whiskey was Laphroaig 12 year.

But I was an experienced bourbon drinker. I twas still weird at first but I've never come across an alcohol that isn't an acquired taste.
>>
>>7478183
>This consisted simply of a tipple of Johnnie Walker covering the bottom of a glass, then filled with water and sipped throughout the day.

So he diluted it to the point of not actually having to taste it. Smart of ol' Winston, avoiding the awful taste of JW Red.

>Churchill’s famous daily whisky was more like mouthwash than a proper drink

Oh yeah now that sounds appetizing.
>>
>>7478183
>how to drink like winston churchill

i know im not man enough to even click that link
>>
>>7475711
Seconded.
>>
>>7477376
My friend and I got a bottle of this and it had a distinct formaldehyde undertone. Is this common with Scotch whiskeys? I mean it was bad to the point where we simply stopped drinking, pitched the bottle, and got high and bought a six pack.
>>
>>7477569
Blame uk tax laws for that
>>
>>7475746
my bad, it was really brutal for a single malt, worse than lagavulin. Not that it's a bad thing
>>
>>7478170
They reusue their barrels. Legally can not be called bourbon. That's why they call it Tennessee whisky.
>>
>>7479756
Who the fuck told you this bullshit?
No they do not reuse their barrels you epic waste of oxygen
>>
>>7478170
>not distilled and bottled in bourbon county kentucky
>being a bourbon
Pick one, JD is only classified as a bourbon for import reasons, which means jack shit
>>
>>7481862
Bourbon can be made anywhere in the US, not just in Bourbon County, Kentucky.
>>
>>7481919
No, it cannot. That's like saying you can make scotch anywhere, not just Scotland.
>>
>>7481919
Yes, it absolutely can.

The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 C.F.R. 5) state that bourbon made for U.S. consumption must be:

-Produced in the United States
-Made from a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn
-Aged in new, charred oak barrels
-Distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume)
-Entered into the barrel for aging at no more than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume)
-Bottled (like other whiskeys) at 80 proof or more (40% alcohol by volume)

Nowhere does it specify that it can only be produced in Bourbon County.

The standards for Scotch whisky specifically say that it can only be produced in Scotland.
>>
>>7482011
>No, it cannot. That's like saying you can make scotch anywhere, not just Scotland.
No, because the law states that scotch whisky must be made in Scotland, it says no such thing about bourbon needing to be made in Bourbon County.
>>
>>7472676
Johnny Walker Black is legitimately better than JD though
>>7472663
I like it. It's a decent blend. It walks like scotch, talks like scotch. I have no problem with it.
For the price black label goes for these days, I think I'd go with something more robust. Four Roses is *excellent* stuff.
>>
>>7473100
Balvenie Doublewood's quality is amazing so it makes sense that it's gone up in price. Easily competes with Macallan 12, Highland Park and the like.
>>
>>7478183
I tried Red neat.
It really wasn't a pleasant experience but I've had much worse.
It gets outclassed by bourbons at the same price though. The character of the whisky in Red label is just far too dissociated from the alcohol itself. Bourbon kinda "blends" the flavors with the alcohol better at that price point.
>>
>>7475433
^This. Also, if you like it, don't let anyone tell you it's bad. Drinking tasty alcohols is all about finding things that you enjoy, not things that other people tell you are good.
>>
>>7478517
While I don't personally know what formaldehyde even tastes like, some highly peated whiskies are interpreted by some people as tasting weirdly medicinal. Depending on individual interpretations, this may or may not be a bad thing.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.