[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does any (non-sweet) food not go good with onion and garlic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: images.jpg (6KB, 256x144px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 256x144px
Does any (non-sweet) food not go good with onion and garlic? I seriously can't think of any.
>>
Bitter melon. Grapefruit. Yoghurt.
>>
>>7462931
Is there any cuisine in the world that doesn't use garlic and onion to some capacity?
>>
>>7462934
Meh that's still fruit and something I would say is on the sweeter side of food.
>>
File: 56.jpg (71KB, 692x532px) Image search: [Google]
56.jpg
71KB, 692x532px
>>7462934
Bitter melon goes well with onion and garlic. Hell, most of the recipes I've seen for it are like a stir fry. Yogurt also goes well with onion and garlic in sauces or dips. Think tzatziki.

and grapefruit is sweet
>>
>>7462941
Good grapefruit is not sweet at all.
>>
>>7462943
Yes it is. Once you've eaten enough to get past the bitterness it's tart and sweet.
>>
>>7462947
Nope. Shop around a bit and find a less sugary breed.
>>
>>7462950
I'm in Florida, I get better citrus than you. It's definitely not sugary like other fruit, but it's sweet.
>>
>>7462931
Onion, garlic and salt are probably the central ingredients to amy contemporary cooking.
>>
>>7462953
yea well I live in brazil and get better fruit than you can imagine so fuck you
>>
>>7463169
>no shallots
>no black pepper
>>
>>7463172
>I live in brazil
I'm so sorry
>>
>>7463203
Not him, but you live in Florida. That's nothing to brag about.
>>
When you're doing a basic tomato pasta, I find the acidity of the onion to not complement the sweetness of the tomatoes too well. Garlic is still good. I think onion could also ruin the flavour of carbonara, and it doesn't go great on pizza. Onion is just not great with most basic Italian food, although the ones with more complex flavour profiles can benefit from it. Garlic is subtler and almost always useful.

Basically when you want one of the ingredients to be the star of the dish, instead of a complex array of tastes and aromas, onions will take away from that while adding little.
>>
>>7463244
What? What about soffritto?
>>
>>7463244
I've never had an onion, raw or cooked, that tasted acidic. I would say astringent maybe. When you cook onions sufficiently they get very sweet. Almost red bell pepper tier sweet.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.