[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fermentation thread. Welcome to the laziest thread on 4chan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 53y36b34 - Copy.jpg (671KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
53y36b34 - Copy.jpg
671KB, 2448x3264px
Fermentation thread.

Welcome to the laziest thread on 4chan where nature does all the work.

What are you making? what have you made in the past? how did it turn out?

Advice welcome.
>>
I ferment my brown rice before cooking them. I don't quite know why, but when I do it lasts twice as long and is very slow to rot.

Oh, and it tastes less grainy but not mushy. Smells like cheese when you cook it though.
>>
>>7462622
What do you call that type of lid?
>>
File: AIRLOCK_BUBBLER_MOUNTED.jpg (40KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
AIRLOCK_BUBBLER_MOUNTED.jpg
40KB, 400x400px
>>7463331
Airlock jar.
>>
>>7462622
Whats the difference between this and pickeling? Im interested in this tell me more.
>>
>>7463345

When pickling you add vinegar acid to keep the veggies edible and deliciously sour, whereas when fermenting you let lactic acid build up to achieve the same goal.
>>
fermented pickle poops are the best, dank probiotics senpai
>>
File: Screenshot_20160308-210139.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160308-210139.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
I make kombucha, fermented sausage, and fermented brusselsprouts. Here's one of my sausages, a chorizo
>>
>>7463413
You would seem like a much cooler person if you hadn't mentioned the kombucha
>>
>>7463413
That chorizo looks delicious
>>
>>7463425
Well I kept getting ulcers from helicobactor pylory and I think the kombucha keeps it at bay. And tastes good before it gets to much acetic acid
>>
is refrigeration needed when using a airlock
I just bought a fermentation set similar to OP but haven't had any days off to learn how to pickle/fermentation things yet
any tip for someone new to it all
>>
>>7463447
Just buy some freeze-dried lactobacillos online and you can't really fuck it up
>>
>tfw your kombucha gets moldy
>>
>>7462622
I always find these airlocks are quieter than
>>7463343
>>
>>7463453
You don't even need that. Just use a solution of about 1 tablespoon of salt per cup of water and use it to cover whatever you're trying to ferment. The lactobacillus will show up naturally on its own.
>>
milk.

I add a tablespoon of buttermilk (for the bacteria) per cup and wait around 2 days at room temperature.

The result is similar to yogurt.
>>
what's some good stuff to add to my next batch of sauerkraut?

I just made it plain for my first attempt
>>
>>7464660
Spices. Caraway seeds work, so do bay leaves, peppercorns and juniper berries.

I've also made it with a few cloves of garlic or some sliced onion before. I made some spicy kraut once as well by tossing a few cayenne peppers in the jar with the cabbage.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.