[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello fellow co/ck/s. I'm looking to make some macarons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: fuck this shit.jpg (570KB, 1688x1125px) Image search: [Google]
fuck this shit.jpg
570KB, 1688x1125px
Hello fellow co/ck/s. I'm looking to make some macarons that taste like/recall apple pie for a friend on his birthday because I'm a tremendous faggot, and I am wondering how I should go about doing this.

I am reasonably proficient at consistently making good shells, but have never tried flavored shells. Would plain shells and a flavorful filling do the trick? And speaking of filling, my first idea would be a cinnamon buttercream frosting (perhaps with traces of other spices) surrounding a center of apple compote. Is this a shitty idea?
>>
>>7453064
i suppose making the shell taste like pie crust is out of the question
>>
>>7453097
I would think so, since to the best of my knowledge sort of the whole point is that they're made from meringue and almond meal. There might be a way to make them taste like crust, but I wouldn't know how to do it.
>>
>>7453064
Should be pretty easy to make cinnamon shells and then do the filling like you said, sounds good.
>>
If you use the cinnamon in the shell, maybe with some vanilla, you could use an apple flavored buttercream for the filling and get more of an apple pie flavor.
>>
>>7453064
Pie crust is buttery and that buttery taste should come through nicely with the buttercream and put the cinnamon in there too. You can put Apple flavoring in the shells they just need to taste like an Apple pie when eaten it's ok to not have them in more traditional crust outside Apple inside just make it taste like the thing.
>>
>>7453245
You should only really try to put apple flavoring in the shells if it's a solid, powdered flavoring. Liquids have a tendency to destabilize the meringue
>>
>>7453266
>solid, powdered flavoring

Does such a thing exist for apples? If so I'd be interested in giving it a shot.
>>
Have you considered making an apple pie?
>>
>>7453064
Could you grind up dehydrated apples and spice it with cinnamon, clove and nutmeg to put in the shell mix?
>>
Have you thought about baking a shop bought Apple pie then breaking it up and infusing it in the cream you then subsequently strain and mix with white chocolate to make a ganache for the filling?

Kinda Apple pie and ice cream flavours.

Inb4 effort
>>
>>7454042

that is exactly what i came here to suggest.

you could either go through the trial and error of wanking about toasting flour and browning butter and shit to recapture the flavour of pie crust or you could just take the path of least resistance and infuse it into cream
>>
>>7453470
My friend's favorite dessert is apple pie, but he has expressed a strong liking for the macarons I've made before and I already made him an apple pie last year. I want to mix it up a bit.
>>
>>7454453
Just put cinnamon in the shells like the other anons said and use your filling idea, it's not rocket appliances anon.
>>
>>7454930
Not OP, but it can't hurt to bounce ideas around. There's no need to condescend.

Op, what about going totally bonkers and whipping Apple pie filling with the creme and using the Cinnamon with your shells as previously said?
>>
>>7454952
Not trying to be condescending

OP asked a specific question that doesn't leave much room for creativity, he's never made flavored shells before, clearly that is what his already good idea is lacking. No easy way to make apple shells, cinnamon is the obvious choice as it is not hard to incorporate into the batter without fucking it up. Mixing the compote and frosting doesn't provide any benefits other than being easier to assemble. Separating them imo will allow a stronger apple flavor to hit the palate and will be worth the extra effort when assembling.
>>
>>7455043

>OP asked a specific question that doesn't leave much room for creativity

hurr durr you know nothing about cooking.
>>
>>7455079 (You) got me

>>7453375
The only thing I can think of is apple kool aid or some other powdered drink which would probably be too shitty of an apple flavor, maybe worth a shot though.
>>
>>7453375
http://www.lepicerie.com/Dehydrated-Apple-Powder.html

if you go that route you're better off going the methycellulose route though imo https://www.chefsteps.com/forum/posts/elbulli-apple-mojito-sandwich-10

but i highly doubt anyone on /ck/ would attempt that kind of thing
>>
Apparently the cream of tartar in mock apple-pie does some interesting things.

Could add it to either to the outside or the filling, might help.

Also, more importantly in the "crust" is some kind of butter flavour. There's diacetyl, but I don't even know where you could buy that. Maybe some kind of buttery popcorn seasoning?

>>7455099
Dunno about kool-aid, but powdered apple cider isn't bad.

Could also try to look at a health food store for powdered fruit. Or make your own, doesn’t seem hard.

http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2013/04/how-to-make-fruit-powder-and-why-you-should-bother.html
>>
>>7455131

i can guarantee making your own dehydrated apple powder to flavour a meringue/macaron isn't going to work.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.