[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did gluten free diets become a fad? Isn't there nothing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 19

File: image.jpg (117KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
117KB, 640x640px
How did gluten free diets become a fad? Isn't there nothing wrong with it unless you have celiac disease?
>>
gluten awareness itself is not a meme. the zealotry of the faddists is
>>
gluten free exists for the same reason scientology is so popular, because belief in it takes away any personal accountability

I'm fat and unhappy because of
>gluten
>carbs
>red meat
>under active thyroid
>GMOs
>thetans

it isn't my fault its all of these BAD THINGS!!!!
anything that allows people to pass the blame and not own up to their poor personal choices
>>
>>7389177
Because stupid soccer moms are dumb enough to listen to no-talent nutritional "experts" and propagate their retarded ideas.
>>
There's also gluten sensitivity, which isn't as awful as celiac disease, but can sometimes produce similar side effects without the whole "permanent intestinal damage resulting in chronic malnutrition" thing.
I think it's gotten twisted in the public mind with carb-free stuff and the Atkins diet, but it's really not the same thing at all.
>>
>>7389229
nah hluten insensitivity dooesnt exist
>>
>>7389244
grade a post
>>
What's really going on is the fact that as you get older, you have trouble digesting fats. So People are trying to figure out what is causing their digestive problems, and blame gluten instead of fatty food like cheese and peanut butter.
>>
Gluten not only exacerbates but is the cause of Celiac's, IBS, and leaky gut. It's also what turned Europeans white 8000 years ago.
>>
File: 1292345637752.jpg (153KB, 469x355px) Image search: [Google]
1292345637752.jpg
153KB, 469x355px
>>7389263
>It's also what turned Europeans white 8000 years ago.
>>
My relative (not my wife's son) bought some gluten free waffles on accident from trader joes, and they tasted like ass compared to the normal waffles we usually get. I don't get why you would make yourself eat shit like that.
>>
For the actual history of how it became a fad, you can listen to this lecture by Alessio Fasano:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5UDQrpRRks

Alessio Fasano is a gastroenterologist and researches who is a key figure in this history. First, because in 2000 he discovered zonulin and that gluten triggers zonulin release in everybody, which makes it a unique dietary compound. And second because a few years later he published an epidemiological study which found that celiac disease is much more common than previously believed. We now also have some evidence that some people who test negative for celiac disease can still react negatively to gluten because of excessive zonulin response (sort of halfway to celiac)

Another aspect is that gluten grains tend to be high in fructans, and are the main dietary source of fructans in the Western diet, and researches at Monash University found that reducing or eliminating fructans from the diet improves symptoms in irritable bowel syndrome. Therefore, people with irritable bowel syndrome have a shared interest in gluten-free foods and diets because gluten-free frequently means fructan-free or low-fructan (garlic and onions are also very high in fructans).
>>
File: scientists say....jpg (99KB, 601x624px) Image search: [Google]
scientists say....jpg
99KB, 601x624px
>>7389278
so basically this
>>
I love donuts.
>>
anti-gluten free people are just as much of a fad or worse than gluten free people.
Nobody talks about being gluten free to random fucking people except for in your strawman arguments. You just see "gluten free" on packaging everywhere now (just like huurr fat free) and you feel attacked since you specifically don't buy those items. So you invent an imaginary fad to complain about and justify your diet.
Eat what you want. Nobody cares.
While being gluten free may be unnecessary, GLUTEN IS NOT AN ESSENTIAL NUTRIET. Not even an important one. Idk why "anti gluten free" people are actually so butthurt that they advocate eating bread so vehemently.
Sounds like a butthurt response to the dietary fad of "gluten free" by the grain industries to me.
>>
>>7389338
When you get a real job and have to deal with fat office ladies who won't shut up about their latest fad diet (which won't work this time, either) you'll get sick of this shit, too.

>>7389263
I thought that it was an evil wizard who made white people.
>>
>>7389263
>>7389524
Well, that and a single-base mutation that turned off the production of melanin in the skin, but who's counting?
>>
File: don't move dirtbag.jpg (54KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
don't move dirtbag.jpg
54KB, 1024x576px
I'm at my most hostage negotiator mode when I see my three year old holding a permanent marker with the lid off.
>>
>>7389177
>How did gluten free diets become a fad?

Because people are fucking stupid, anon, that's how.
>>
>>7389229
>permanent intestinal damage
It isn't permanent, but it will continue as long as you eat gluten.

>>7389338
>imaginary fad
No. It isn't imaginary, otherwise retailers and suppliers wouldn't react to the way they have. However, "Gluten Free" being placed on items that have been gluten free by recipe since their inception (See: Lay's potato chips) helps people with celiac shop without having to check EVERY SINGLE INGREDIENT. So I don't care about gluten labelling.

What I care about is gluten being treated like MSG. About the same amount of negative effects from eating it.
>>
>>7389524
The best is when you bring in donuts.

The guys will be like Oh nice.

The women will be like "ughh my waistline.. . finee..." like you did them an injustice

The fattest woman will take 2 if theres enough
>>
>>7390181
Voted most likely to twiddle fingers and remark, "Don't mind if I do" at a box of office donuts.
>>
>>7390159
Because you can't just continue to eat gluten?
Fluoride is a literal neurotoxin and you and I both drink the water anyway.
You're butthurt. That's all. Quit your meme spouting.
>>
>>7390196
>both drink the water anyway.
Actually, I pump my water out of the ground, so you're the only one drinking chlorinated/fluorinated water here.

>You're butthurt
I'm trying to figure out where you extracted this. Just because I don't like it when things are demonized without reason (MSG, Gluten, Wooden cutting boards, etc) that makes me butt hurt? Perhaps you should read the entire post next time.
>>
>>7390456
>you and I both drink the water anyway.
>you and I
zomg, ur so rite we must be brothers. i don't want to argue or disagree with you any more. let's be besties! XD
>>
>>7389177
the same way every other dumbshit come-and-go fad has for the past half century. do we need to keep making this thread? my dumbfuck local news station is even running stories on how 'gluten allergies' are usually bullshit now literally everyone gets it

i know these threads are easy bait for made up ">400lb hamplanet pulls up in scooter and demands to know where the gluten free frosting is kept" stories but come on already
>>
File: internet.jpg (249KB, 500x317px) Image search: [Google]
internet.jpg
249KB, 500x317px
>>7389177
> How did gluten free diets become a fad?

The Internet.

Whereas before, people had to put some effort into actually researching stuff to find out if the theory was valid, nowadays they blindly believe any bullshit that comes their way via the Internet.

99% of the people on gluten free diets are retards who are only doing it because someone on Facebook told them it’s the cure for everything.
>>
>>7389177
because it looks like the word "glutton" and therefore it must mean you get fat if you eat it.

same shit behind fat-free diets and food

goddamn people are fucking idiots when it comes to food
>>
>>7392036
>goddamn people are fucking idiots when it comes to food
looking at the /ck/ catalog confirms this
>>
>>7391780
lol. your misguided rage amuses me immensely.
link to the alleged "news" report that you mentioned.
>>
>now my friend with celiac disease has a wider choice of foods to eat
>they're all stupid expensive now

shig
>>
>>7391622
>demonized
No, I can read just fine. I am commenting on your imaginary persecution complex. Gluten is factually not necessary. Period. End of everything.
You like it, other people want to avoid it for reasons with which you do not agree. Get over yourself.
Jesus Christ, are you vegan too?
>>
>>7393051
>>7393051
>Gluten is factually not necessary. Period. End of everything.
Neither is MSG. MSG is not harmful either, but hoards of retards think so. The same goes with gluten. The ONLY people who have a genuine concern are diagnosed celiacs.

It's not imaginary- why do you think every chinese restaurant has "NO MSG" somewhere on the menu or posted out front? What if I liked my chinese food with MSG? Now I can't have it because of idiots. What if I liked a product that was formulated with wheat flour instead of rice/potato/corn flour, but because of the "gluten free" fad I can't have it like that now? I said it bothered me, not that I fixate on it and dedicate my life to yelling at folks who avoid it.
>>
Here's my theory behind it:

>say gluten causes autism
>health nuts test this theory on their children and refuse to give their kids gluten
>their children develop gluten allergies from lack of exposure
>they get skinny because they're constantly vomiting and not absorbing their vitamins
>health nuts copy their behavior in hopes of the same

I'm allergic to beef and was raised by vegetarians, so I think that's definitely the case for me.
>>
>>7389524
>an evil wizard
An old black guy at work once told me that nomads went to Europe and lived in caves where they became white and the devil taught them how to destroy the world.
>>
>>allergic to beef

?
Is that even a thing?

I've seen some odd allergies.. Carrots, cumin, ect...

Never heard of beef.

Unless you mean a base protein allergy, but that is not beef specific, it applies to pretty much all proteins, even breast milk and usually fades away after the first few (very expensive) months of life.
>>
>>7393345
It's fairly common for those who are allergic to cows' milk. There's also a tick out there that can cause it, but I can eat other meats (including lamb and bison) with no problem.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12487203

Another thing... People can be "allergic" to something on a blood test, but their stomach acid boils off the allergen first, so they don't actually react to it. The only way to confirm an actual allergy is by eating the food. That might be why so many people think they have gluten/dairy/nut/etc issues.
>>
File: 1424763743610.png (129KB, 324x310px) Image search: [Google]
1424763743610.png
129KB, 324x310px
>>7389207
>>thetans
>>
>>7389263
So white people with 'gluten sensitivity' and/or celiac disease are actually crossbreeds?
>>
Combination of placebo effect combined with people losing some weight because they end up avoiding junk food and thinking it's the gluten.
>>
>>7389177
It's part of the bigger "eat clean" meme

Still research shows gluten makes your gut leak
I'm low carb so barely eat any gluten.
Still kinda funny when a drink is advertised as gluten free.
>>
>>7392041
Also looking at USA culinary habits
>>
File: 1449377478460.jpg (132KB, 908x678px) Image search: [Google]
1449377478460.jpg
132KB, 908x678px
>>7389177
Would you?
>>
>>7394225
heck yeah
>>
With how huge this fad is...how are people still so clueless about gluten still?
Celiac runs in my family so about half of us have it. My coworker is paleo now and won't eat "gluten". But she still eats oats, english muffins (fuck knows how that's considered gluten free) and basically everything other than white wheat flour. Gluten free is now synonymous with carb-free or low-carb. I will say though that most people will lose a significant amount of weight when the go real gluten-free but it's really just because of how much they cut out of their diet, not because of a lack of gluten
>>
>>7389278
I like how everyone is ignoring your post.
>>
>>7389177
People are stupid.
>>
File: OZfkcyD.jpg (67KB, 640x593px) Image search: [Google]
OZfkcyD.jpg
67KB, 640x593px
>>7394225
>>
>>7394438
Why would any man do this though? Men have very few rights when it comes to laws surrounding pregnancies, children and child support. Thanks feminism.
>>
>>7394438
Put a demotivational around it and it'll be even funnier.
>>
>>7394225
fuck no.

I put a gummy worm in my dick once and I was sticky all day. I wouldn't let sugar anywhere close to my dick
>>
>>7389278
>garlic and onions are also very high in fructans

>know someone who is legit celiac diseased
>she loves garlic more than anything else on the planet
I wonder if she knows...
>>
>>7390159
>However, "Gluten Free" being placed on items that have been gluten free by recipe since their inception (See: Lay's potato chips) helps people with celiac shop without having to check EVERY SINGLE INGREDIENT. So I don't care about gluten labelling.

If you haven't had gluten since your product began there's no need to say HEY WE'RE GLUTEN FREE. The only one who gets a pass is Cheerios, because while they were never meant to have gluten from the beginning, now they're specifically making sure nothing gluten comes in contact with it.
>>
>>7389229
Non-celiac gluten sensitivity is the made up fake garbage science that started the whole gluten free trend. The guy who came up with it admitted he made up all his shit and his studies were garbage.
>>
>>7394616
No, it just "might" be made up fake garbage.
>>
>>7394616
>The guy who came up with it admitted he made up all his shit and his studies were garbage.
Source? I think you're the one making things up.

I'm not even convinced that the fad aspect really exists. I've never heard of anyone avoiding gluten unless they really had to and my only knowledge of the alleged fad comes from people getting mad on /ck/ and constantly repeating their "daily reminder that this thing isn't real" mantra.
I suspect it's coming from judgemental service personnel who get customers asking if a product contains gluten so they make up some theory in their head to convince themselves that other people are stupid and falling for some fad that doesn't even exist. That way they can convince themselves that they are anything but the lowest rung of society.

Everything that needs to be said has been said in this thread but unfortunately the real facts and information presented will be ignored by those few who keep repeating the mantra. Because anyone who mentions an allergy or intolerance is an easy target for them to pretend to be smarter or better than someone.
>>
>>7394451
is it 2005?
>>
>>7389177
same way buying organic, avoiding GMOs, and protesting vaccines became fads
>>
>>7395107
>I've never heard of anyone avoiding gluten unless they really had to
Are you being serious?

Celiacs is pretty damn rare. The general public was barely even aware of it only 5 or so years ago and now fucking everyone is offering gluten free things. There is no way there are enough celiacs to warrant all of the prime marketing gluten free shit is getting now
>>
I'm not celiac but wheat fucks me up. I get indigestion and water bloat. I get it from corn and potato too so it's not just gluten, and it isn't carbs because I can eat sugar, rice and fruit and starchy vegetables fine. Things labeled gluten free help me out sometimes.
>>
File: GlutenFree.jpg (191KB, 476x1371px) Image search: [Google]
GlutenFree.jpg
191KB, 476x1371px
>How did gluten free diets become a fad?

Most likely normal people eating the same shit as their celiac family and friends.

One strange phenomenon is many women who have their gallbladders removed suddenly have an intolerance for gluten. Not even doctors can explain that shit.

Anyway, normal people around such women, like children and spouses, might pick up on their gluten free eating habits and feel healthier.
>>
>>7389207
Couldn't have said it any better
>>
>>7395156
A very deep an insightful comment. Certainly one that was well worth making. Your friends must think you very wise!
>>
>>7395163
Doctors only obtained the necessary knowledge to diagnose gluten intolerance recently, so, you know.
>>
>>7395163
>Are you being serious?
Yes.
>Celiacs is pretty damn rare.
So are people with nut allergies. Do you have a hissy fit every time you see the words "may contain traces of nuts"?
>There is no way there are enough celiacs to warrant all of the prime marketing gluten free shit is getting now
Since when is an ingredients list considered as marketing?

Again, I'm not seeing any evidence of anyone avoiding gluten if they don't have to. The so called 'fad' seems to exist only in your head
>>
I've glanced at that OP at least 20 times over today and I only now just noticed the fuckign dog.
>>
>>7389303
Agreed.
>>
>>7394449
>that guy who injects politics into every conversation
>>
>>7389177
Gluten is used for your nails and hair so it's good for you if you don't have the allergy, as you've pretty much stated.
>>
Cutting out gluten is a pretty good way to loose weight though, the labeling just makes it easier for people on diets.
>>
File: image.jpg (165KB, 406x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
165KB, 406x1000px
>>7389177

in my day we ate spudnuts
>>
File: Plain Cake Donut.jpg (38KB, 701x467px) Image search: [Google]
Plain Cake Donut.jpg
38KB, 701x467px
>>7394449
Black men do. Blackies are the only ones immune to feminism.

also, gluten is great. it makes things better.
>>
>>7396276
>1488 south state st., salt lake city, utah
ayyyyy
>>
Before the gluten free fad, a lot of people who were celiacs couldn't enjoy a large variety of food such as pasta, bread, etc.

However after the fad, people with celiacs now have access to these types of foods now.

I think the whole fad is really a double edged sword, a few people of society have a mental illness where they believe they have gluten intolerance, however this helps a lot of people who celiacs.
>>
my only issue is people who think they're healthier for eating gluten free, the alternatives are usually way more calorific, contain more sugar and have more shit added to try and give them taste
>>
File: IMAG1678.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1678.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
>>7396361
I don't understand your issue.
>>
>>7389229
http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-who-found-evidence-for-gluten-sensitivity-have-now-shown-it-doesn-t-exist

daily reminder that the people who first found gluten sensitivity have proven it doesn't actually exist
>>
>>7396361
>>7396381
Most gluten-free replacement products are made from corn flour and rice flour, sometimes plus starches and a gluten replacement like xanthan. They taste perfectly fine. Most gluten-free products don't have sugars added at all - if anything they have fiber, seeds and nuts added to catch the "health-conscious" target market.
>>
>>7396939
That's not how science works. There is another study that links zonulin to NCGS, irrespective of IBS/fructans. People with the genetic base for celiac can react to gluten before celiac is active and diagnosable. People with non-celiac genetics can never react negatively to gluten
>>
>>7396977
>I have a gluten sensitivity
>>
Can someone explain why being gluten intolerant can't be real while so many people claim they are lactose intolerant or alergic to foods like mushrooms?
why all the hate for people who have trouble with gluten?
>>
>>7397103
They pretend they can be significantly hurt by something they actually can't be hurt by which fucks with restaurant staff. They think they're better for straying away from fucking bread. I'm sure they'd stop breathing oxygen is someone could find a trendy alternative.
>>
>>7397103
There's no hate for people with legit gluten allergies.

The hate is for all the diet fad bandwagon riders who insist on a gluten free diet unnecessarily because they were dumb enough to believe some bullshit they read on facebook or instagram from some "nutritional expert" hack claiming that gluten is the root of all evil.
>>
>>7397134
>which fucks with restaurant staff
This isn't really a thing
If it's a good restaurant and not just some 3rd rate shithole where all the food is delivered frozen so they can microwave it
>>
>>7397103
Anyone who says they're allergic to mushrooms is a fucking liar.
>>
>>7396361
>are usually way more calorific, contain more sugar and have more shit added to try and give them taste
Did you really take the time to study and compare the ingredients list and nutritional values of a gluten free product and it's inferior alternative? Or are you unironically stating your stupid opinion as fact?

This is the part that I don't understand. Why do people, who are unaffected by gluten labelling, invent things to get worked up about?
>>
>>7389338
Beer and bread are the cornerstones of civilization.
>>
File: yourkillingmesmalls.jpg (42KB, 400x459px) Image search: [Google]
yourkillingmesmalls.jpg
42KB, 400x459px
>>7389263
>>
>>7393237
>I'm allergic to beef
Isn't that cause by a specific insect?
>>
>>7397134
>be waiter
>put bread rolls on table
>customer wants to know if they contain gluten
>DON'T ASK ME QUESTIONS BECAUSE I'M JUST THE DUMB WAITER.
>WHY CANT YOU PEOPLE JUST SHUT UP AND EAT
>DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE A TIP
>>
>>7396352
>a few people of society have a mental illness where they believe they have gluten intolerance, however this helps a lot of people who coeliacs.
A lot of people have a mental illness where they believe they have gluten intolerance, however this helps a few people who have coeliacs.
>>
>>7389177
This thread has been up for days and I just now noticed the tiny dog.
>>
>>7399213
SAMEFAGGING this hard on/ck/ ISHYDDT
>>
I eat gluten, I get stomach cramps. So I don't eat gluten. Pretty simple stuff
>>
One good thing about the gluten free craze is that people with legit celiac's have TONS of options now.
>>
File: tumblr_nr7ouakVdL1rfwfq9o1_500.jpg (50KB, 450x653px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nr7ouakVdL1rfwfq9o1_500.jpg
50KB, 450x653px
>mfw allergic to 50% of vegetables and fruits, eggs and so on and basically have to eat a bunch of gluten
>>
File: 1416805897167.jpg (51KB, 601x386px) Image search: [Google]
1416805897167.jpg
51KB, 601x386px
I have Celiac and I miss food.

I find it impossible to make a good dough for anything.

Have you ever tried making toast with gluten free bread?

THE TOAST BREAKS!

The pasta isn't bad though. Smells a little weird but tastes fine.

[spoiler]I do cheat sometimes and I know I shouldn't but goddamn this stuff is horrible[/spoiler]
>>
>>7399979
Gluten free bread is god tier. It's heavier and keeps me feeling fuller for longer and it toasts really well, imo. It never dries out like wheat based breads, and doesn't flatten out like a pancake when spreading butter on it, unlike wheat bread. Four slices is enough to fill me up but with the other stuff I would eat six or eaight slices and still be hungry.
>>
>>7399979
Almond flour is pretty good.

As for premade products... Cappello's pizza crust and pasta is expensive, but decent. I've also tried Simple Mills' chocolate chip cookie and pumpkin muffins, and they're pretty good. Send them an email asking for free stuff (be sure to mention having Celiac) and I guarantee they'll send you a few boxes. They have a bread mix, but I've never paid for any of their products because they're crazy expensive.
>>
>>7400012
>eating six or eight slices of bread
Fat people's opinions don't count
>>
>>7389312
me too bro
>>
>>7400012
>and doesn't flatten out like a pancake when spreading butter on it
dude, your butter is too cold
>>
I have a friend who was pretty fuckin' fat, then decided to go "paleo" and cut out almost all bread from his diet and lost almost 100lbs in a couple months. Different shit works for different people. Call it a meme diet or whatever you want, but I've seen it work to some extent.
>>
>>7389275
My school has gluten free tomato soup for the allergic kids and its the most vile thing I have ever tasted. How can they fuck up something so simple, its not like tomato soup has gluten in it to begin with.
>>
>>7400342
yeah, when you dramatically reduce the amount of carbs you eat and do not replace those calories with another source you will probably lose weight
>>
>>7400130
I train hard and eat for fuel. BMI 19.7 fit cyclist. For my sport I'm probably half a kilo too fat but for an average person I'm borderline underweight.
So you be the judge as to whether or not I'm fat. But I'm likely thinner than you.
>>
File: IMAG1680.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1680.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
>gluten free custard powder
>use by 30/7/1998
>"it's just a fad"
Friendly reminder that the "fad" only exists in the minds of ignorant fools.
>4chan is just a fad
>>
After my father was found choking on a baguette, my mother non-consensually masturbated with it. Traces of gluten were found in her vagina and it was determined probable that celiac disease was my half father. Mother found a beta provider and I, unable to deal wit the trauma of gluten raping my mother and killing my father, mobed into their basement and became a superhero
>>
There's a lot of gluten sensitive people as well, it probably isn't a huge issue for those people though

Some people just see as better because it eliminates a lot of carbs

Who really gives a shit if they're just doing their own thing
>>
>>7389244
yes it does
>>
>>7394559
TBF garlic is very tasty
>>
>>7401943
Things can exist before they become a fad anon
>>
>>7389177
For most people following that diet means consuming less carbs, people see it working and blame it on the gluten
>>
>>7389177
I thought I was gluten sensitive because when I ate bread I felt like shit. But then I traded in the white bread for organic wholemeal and it fixed the issue.

Gluten free is mostly a fad like fat free, sugar free, cruelty free etc.
>>
>>7401943
Sure but in 1998 there we no sections of supermarkets actually dedicated to gluten free food
>>
>>7403234
Sugar free doesn't belong there. Diabetes runs in tons of families, far more than celiacs, and sugar has measured health effects in everyone if over-eaten.
>>
It's funny how everyone with "gluten sensivity" is a hybrid driving liberal pansy, too. My brother in law is the biggest pinko hippie i've ever met and he refuses to eat gluten. "Do you have celiac disease" "no, I can't eat gluten because it's bad for your body. I only eat organic gluten free food"

My sister also doesn't eat gluten and she believes that the mayans predicted the end times, and that fluoride causes autism.

It's because there are crazy people in this world, that's why it exists.
>>
>>7402701
>Who really gives a shit if they're just doing their own thing
Well yeah sure, except they're always trying to force it down your neck. It's like a religion. iirc South Park even did an episode about how everyone who does this shit tries to force it on everyone else.
>>
>>7403239
That's how you define a fad?
>>
>>7403316
you're so full of shit and probably thinking of vegans. name the south park episode that mentions gluten. i'll bet you can't.
>>
>>7403316
>i learn about social construct from watching south park
Could you be any more neckbeardy?
>>
>>7403347
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten_Free_Ebola
>>
>>7403367
got a magnet link or something so I could watch it?
>>
>>7403373
I don't watch south park, i just remember someone telling me about it.
>>
>>7403379
that's ok, thanx. i'm looking on youtube and a 17 minute vid but i thought they were half hour episodes. will keep looking.

i'm starting to wonder if the fad aspect is a real thing in america because it's certainly not a thing in australia.
americans are weird.
>>
>>7403383
I'm Swedish and over here it's very real. I don't know how many people have tried to get me to do it. I even tried it once to get 2 of them to shut up.
>Well good for you! Did you feel better?
No
>Well then you should've tried it for 3 months
I did, because that's what I read that you had to do for it to "take effect"
>Oh.... well sometimes you have to do longer

But then again
>Sweden
>>
>>7403390
Since /ck/ has no flags I'll take your word for it.
>>
File: yakubhead.jpg (21KB, 396x575px) Image search: [Google]
yakubhead.jpg
21KB, 396x575px
>>7389263
Yakub made white people.
>>
>>7394565
>there's no need to say HEY WE'RE GLUTEN FREE
Exactly, there's no NEED for them to do it. It is purely for marketing purposes. I was using it to illustrate my point that the number of idiots unnecessarily avoiding gluten has increased to the point that it is influencing producers and retailers and is therefore not and "imaginary fad"
>>
I am a baker in a dedicated gluten free bakery. I can tell you 99% of our clientele are Celiac diagnosed, and I myself am also celiac diagnosed.
>>
It gives people a sense of "eating healthy" even though they're still eating shit like donuts, cakes or whatever.
>>
gluten is found with carbs. carbs make people fat. stupid housewives cant separate correlation and causation
>>
>>7403722
>implying dumb bitches on a fad diet would actually patron a restuarant dedicated to quality gluten free food instead of just eating like a retard
>>
>>7389244

I wish your words become true someday... If I eat gluten everyday only poop thrice a week, feels bad and hurts a lot too.
>>
>>7403610
>Exactly, there's no NEED for them to do it. It is purely for marketing purposes.

Fucking this. If a person has coeliac disease then their doctor will have explained to them how the disease works, what gluten is, and therefore what they can and cannot eat. And honestly most things are gluten free--avoid wheat and you're pretty much set.

But marketers have figured out that some people have no fucking clue and when they see the term "gluten free" on a package they automatically assume gluten is bad. It doesn't help things that there's been all sorts of conditioning in that regard: "Fat free" in the 80's, "Cholesterol free" in the 90's, "no trans fats" in the 00's. People are used to assuming that "X free" means that X is a bad thing.
>>
>>7394565
Certain products like rice and corn chex would need that labeling because they're no longer made in the same facility as the wheat chex, making them completely verified gluten free and not contaminated.
Also, you may not realize how many products that shouldn't include wheat/gluten but did in the form of "modified food starch" and now don't, OR it was just contaminated and couldn't be called gluten free
>>
>>7399148
Beer and specifically sourdough bread
Fermented and better forms of wheat!
>>
>>7400012
What brand are you eating then? I've only had horrible glutenfree bread
>>
>>7404377
In the world of highly processed foods and high tech food production methods you actually have no idea if gluten is in a product.
It doesn't matter if a product is traditionally gluten free a use for gluten in that product may have been found

That being said I totally agree with the idea that people see gluten free and assume it must be bad and then decided to avoid gluten like the plague not because they health professionals told them to but because it's been made into a fad diet
>>
>>7404755
Not the same anon, but Udi's makes great gluten free bread. They might only exist in Colorado, but if you are west of the Mississippi you can probably buy it frozen
>>
>>7405054
I've had Udis cinnamon raisin bread and it bearable.. barely though
>>
>>7405179
Haven't had that, just their "wheat" and "white". Obviously gluten-free bread is never going to be as good as the real deal, but compared to most of the other gluten-free breads I've had it's a good product. What sets it apart for me is the fact that it actually looks, feels, and smells like bread, instead of just being a cardboardy placeholder

>yes i am a shill
>>
>>7404377
>gluten is only found in wheat
>it's just a fad
ignorance breeds ignorance
>>
>>7404767
It's one thing to be in a supermarket and pick up an item and see the words "gluten free" and then put that item in your basket thinking "well that must be good" without giving it a second thought. But it's another thing entirely to change your whole diet (and ultimately your lifestyle) to avoid gluten completely, which takes a lot of knowledge and effort, based on nothing more than a hunch from reading two words on a cereal packet.

The fad does not exist. Anyone who says that it does is effectively saying "I'm an idiot because I had a stupid thought and I want to believe that other people are more stupider than moi".
Stupid is as stupid does.
>>
>>7400012
Word, although udi's is the only brand I've tried the stuff is fucking great. I eat it more than I used to eat bread
>>
>>7389177
>How did gluten free diets become a fad? Isn't there nothing wrong with it unless you have celiac disease?
>fad
You answered your own question.
>>
>>7406551
But it's a rhetorical question because the gluten free diet isn't a fad. It's a medically recognised method of coping with coeliacs disease. Maybe OP also thinks that nut allergies are a fad.
>>
>>7406765
Nut allergies literally weren't a thing until political correctness came around
>>
Its just funny and sad how many people here are so butthurt over people who want or need to be gluten free
>>
>>7389177
I really like that image.
>>
>>7406765
It's a fucking fad whenever people who DO NOT HAVE COELIAC go gluten-free.
>>
>>7407059
Who does that though?
>>
>>7407090
Every middle to high income american woman over 25
>>
Anti gluten-free people are the absolute worst. Oh no someone likes something different, call the police. Y'all lazy shits who don't care enough about your nutrition to bother improving it in any way, shape or form.

When are you shitty nutriphobic people going to learn?
>>
>>7389177
they actually found that they spliced some protein into wheat that's supposed to ward off insects, and it produces celiac-like symptoms in about 10% of the population.
Someone find me the fucking source, I keep losing it.
>>
>>7407031
it's not about living like this or that.
It's about those fucking hipsters who tell everyone how they're living gluten free, and then don't actually, so people who actually HAVE to live like that get weird looks because hey, you can take a break day as well, stacey does it all the time FUCK YOU!
>>
File: image.png (606KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
606KB, 640x1136px
What real celiac looks like:
>>
>>7407572
This doesn't happen.
>>
the only thing worse than a gluten-free non-celiac is people on ketogenic diets

shit's laughable
>>
>>7407584
It just did to a well known gluten free blogger
>>
>>7407591
oh, and i forgot people on a paleo diet
LMAOOOOOOO
>>
>>7407591
Fuck people with fructose malabsorption right
>>
>>7407424
So, gmo crops? This is huge!

SOMEBODY FIND THAT SOURCE!!
>>
>>7407591
Why so you care, though? Do you occupy your time by thinking about things that other people do to distract yourself from your own pathetic existence?

Go ahead and kill yourself. You know you want to.
>>
>>7402679
underrated post
Thread posts: 165
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.