[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ew... >Cellulose is a safe additive, and an acceptable l

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 10

File: fakecheese.gif (504KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
fakecheese.gif
504KB, 960x540px
Ew...

>Cellulose is a safe additive, and an acceptable level is 2 percent to 4 percent, according to Dean Sommer, a cheese technologist at the Center for Dairy Research in Madison, Wisconsin. Essential Everyday 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, from Jewel-Osco, was 8.8 percent cellulose, while Wal-Mart Stores Inc.’s Great Value 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese registered 7.8 percent, according to test results. Whole Foods 365 brand didn’t list cellulose as an ingredient on the label, but still tested at 0.3 percent. Kraft had 3.8 percent.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-16/the-parmesan-cheese-you-sprinkle-on-your-penne-could-be-wood
>>
>Ew...

Cellulose is fiber, you pants-pissing faggot.
>>
>>7385873
>there are "people" who unironically buy "parmesan" that didn't come from Italy and wasn't certified by the proper authorites

You deserve to eat sawdust.
>>
>using pre grated and packaged parmesan

found your problem
>>
>>7385873
They give old newspapers to dairy cows too
>>
>>7385884
It's an industrial byproduct

Not food

Or do you do a lot of baking with cellulose
>>
>>7385884
Oh, come on. OP has a point. Why the fuck would anyone buy cheese with filler in it? There's only one reason: it's cheap and you don't give a fuck. Not only are you buying the cheapest cheese possible, but you're cool with a percentage of it not even being cheese so a little more profit can be squeezed from your sad purchase.

If you don't give a fuck that's fine, but for the rest of us it's just another reason not to buy the crap cheese manufactured by sketchy companies like Kraft.
>>
File: cellulose.jpg (17KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
cellulose.jpg
17KB, 306x306px
>>7385905
>hurr durr not food must be stinky poo
>>
>>7385921
No one is saying that it will make you sick, idiot. We're saying that getting sawdust when you want cheese is a stupid thing to do.
>>
>>7385921
>Filler in my cheese is OK by me
idiot
>>
>>7385907
'Ew' is not a point, 'ew' is a childish overreaction to unfamiliar things. We can discuss cheese fraud without acting like cellulose is some sort of human bodily fluid.
>>
>>7385907

whole foods is supposed to be nicer then kraft thoug.
>>
File: Mirai is worried.jpg (17KB, 188x235px) Image search: [Google]
Mirai is worried.jpg
17KB, 188x235px
>>7385921
>Implying you would want pic related sprinkled throughout your chese.
>>
File: autismspeaks.jpg (2KB, 79x68px) Image search: [Google]
autismspeaks.jpg
2KB, 79x68px
>>7385931
>>
>>7385939
>implying you'd notice if it was there
>implying you'd notice if it was removed after having been there
>and if you were one of the people who COULD notice, implying you'd have been buying those cheeses in the first place

What >>7385894 said.
>>
Actually, it's worse than that (or was before this particular company went bankrupt):

>The FDA accused Castle Cheese of marketing as real grated Parmesan what was in fact a mixture of imitation cheese and trimmings of Swiss, white cheddar, Havarti and mozzarella. After the probe, Castle stopped production of the problematic cheeses and dumped inventories. The company filed for bankruptcy in 2014.

>Castle President Michelle Myrter is scheduled to plead guilty this month to criminal charges. She faces up to a year in prison and a $100,000 fine.

>According to the FDA’s report on Castle, obtained through the Freedom of Information Act, “no parmesan cheese was used to manufacture” the Market Pantry brand 100% grated Parmesan Cheese, sold at Target Corp. stores, and Always Save Grated Parmesan Cheese and Best Choice 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, sold by Associated Wholesale Grocers Inc., which along with its subsidiaries supplies 3,400 retail stores in 30 states. Instead, there was a mixture of Swiss, mozzarella, white cheddar and cellulose, according to the FDA.

On the other hand, currently:

>For years, Schuman has been a one-man Reinheitsgebot, insisting that the fragrant granules Americans sprinkle on their pizza and penne ought to be the real thing; if not, the label should say so.

>The stakes are 100 percent real for him. Schuman’s Fairfield, New Jersey-based company, Arthur Schuman Inc., is the biggest seller of hard Italian cheeses in the U.S., with 33 percent of the domestic market.

>He estimates that 20 percent of U.S. production — worth $375 million in sales — is mislabeled.
>>
>>7385932
That's what they'd like the yoga mat carrying quinoa eating set to believe, but for the most part it's a lie, or and astounding exaggeration.
>>
File: 1442352446351.jpg (32KB, 312x342px) Image search: [Google]
1442352446351.jpg
32KB, 312x342px
>>7385939
>anime reaction image
>>
I work at the world's most advanced bio-refinery, working with producing products out of cellulose.
>>
this is old news to anyone who's paid any attention at all. articles on this go years and years back. i don't really like it, and look for non-cellulose cheese when i look for shredded stuff because i kinda hate busting out the grater every time i want some damn pasta or nachos

that said, why do we really hate the idea of tree bark? we eat tons of other fruits, vegetables and other parts of plants. celery, fennel and other fibrous, stalky vegetables have been in our diet for millennia. tea and other drinks have been made out of the barks of some trees for as long if not longer

also, cellulose isn't _just_ used so the business can get a couple extra cents on the dollar, it's an anti-caking mechanism, so the cheese stays shredded and doesn't clump together.

but yea, some places like that jewel-osco with 8.8% an walmart with 7.8% cellulose are definitely scamming you with that extra chunk thrown in there for no reason other than cutting cost.

all in all, if you're buying cheap pre-grated parmesan, it's probably gonna have some amount of filler. getting 97% cheese and 3% cellulose isn't the worst thing in the world. doubling or tripling that level is scammy as fuck and fuck the places that do that.
>>
>>7385986
Hello Kraft™ shill!
>>
>>7385994
>i don't buy things with cellulose on the label
>i accept that it inherently isn't the worst thing in the world, but it isn't good either
must be a shill!
>>
>>7385999
Maybe you're just American then...
>>
>>7385986
This is common sense.
>>
>>7386002
you mean from the intelligent part of the world that's known about this for a decade and isn't a newfag? yup, ya got me.
>>7386005
i know. common sense is like a super power. no one has it anymore.
>>
It's just an anti caking agent I don't see the problem here.
>>
Cellulose is used in a variety of welding fluxs to help keep out atmosphere from entering the weld puddle as it cools preventing cracks from forming in the weld.

I lol'd pretty hard then om nom nom'd my instant potato's after reading cellulose in the ingredients list.

It's not that bad for ya boi'
>>
>>7385986
>>
>>7385905
Cellulose is literally the majority of what makes up a tree, it's not an "industrial byproduct"
>>
Why is this gross? Unless you are an uneducated twit.
>>
American 'cheese' product
>>
Parmagiano-Reggiano >> American "Parmesan" >>>>>>>>> Powdered """""cheese"""""
>>
>>7385873
This is only relevant enough if you're plebe enough to eat shaky cheese. Nobody believes that's parm except super-poors.
>>
>>7387009
>"""""cheese"""""
Why do you add so many quotation marks? It's unnecessary.
>>
>>7387052
it's a """""meme""""" that """""emphasizes""""" the """""degree of separation""""" between the """""fake""""" or """""bad""""" and the """""real""""" or """""good""""" stuff.
>>
>>7385952
no one cares about your darwinian model of consumerism.

instead of bashing on other anons, this thread could be used for discussion about how and which food companies have any respect for food.
>>
>>7386893
Oh thanks, I've always wondered what is in welding flux but never looked it up.

>>7385921
>>7385941
>>7385960
>>7385994
>>7387052

you're the same person who just doesn't get the thread aren't you
>>
File: 1455225554256.jpg (307KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1455225554256.jpg
307KB, 1280x960px
>>7385873
It's added so grated and shredded cheeses stay dry. That's literally the only reason, and it's an important one.

Nobody's trying to pull the old "sawdust in the baguette"; without cellulose, shredded cheese would clump up into a nasty ball even with refrigeration. Regular cheese would have much less (to prevent the sides from sticking to the packet), or much more likely, none at all.

You're all fucking stupid
>>
File: 1454713582416.jpg (412KB, 1280x971px) Image search: [Google]
1454713582416.jpg
412KB, 1280x971px
Alas, I cannot actually believe so many people eat such preposterously shitty tasting fake products.

Kraft singles, Kraft "Parmesan," velveeta, fake "syrup," premade store tomato sauce, among others.

All that stuff tastes absolutely rancid.

Why would you ever, EVER buy any of that over a real block of parmesean, real american cheese, or real syrup?

It's not even like the cost difference is that substatial (besides perhaps real maple syrup) but if you have to buy fake syrup because you can't afford the real thing, you fucked up somewhere in life.

Fuck am I mad.
>>
>>7387705
What this guy said. But seriously, don't buy grated cheese. Buy your good cheeses from a reputable vendor.

Also, that pic is fucking hilarious, but the empty kitchen is really weirding me out.
>>
>>7387705
that picture had me laughing for good 5 mins. thanks
>>
>>7386946
It's both. You think wood doesn't go through factories? Whether or not it's an industrial byproduct or 100% natural has no bearing on its healthiness or status as food.
>>
>>7387736
nice try, lots of poor families feed their kids garbage and then the kids get used to it. kids prefer sweet over bitter, it takes time for their tastes to develop, but they never had a chance to try anything else so the cycle continues.

And yes, price is a factor. You can afford your $6 bottle of syrup (also very sweet you fucking baby) for yourself but when you have 4 people eating pancakes or waffles in the morning, you're going to go for the cheaper, bigger option.
>>
>>7388401
You realize an industrial byproduct is something created during the process, right? The cellulose was there to begin with, whether or not it was turned into 2x4s, plywood, of even sawdust, the cellulose was still there.

To go "industrial byproduct" is the same thing as labeling salt as "GMO-Free."

And again, cellulose will not hurt you, and it serves a purpose. However, in some cases the amount added is pure bullshit.
>>
>>7388983
Salt almost always has stuff added to it. Anti-caking agents, etc. It's not reasonable to assume the average consumer (millions of whom suffer gluten allergies) is going to be an expert on exactly which anti-caking agents, etc, are not made with gluten.

tl;dr hitler should go back to the third reich and commit suicide again, and you can follow your leader
>>
>>7388983
>You realize an industrial byproduct is something created during the process, right?

A byproduct is simply something other than the intended product. For example when you refine sugar you get molasses as a byproduct but you do not create the molasses in the process.

Also, you're fucking stupid and a faggot. Fuck you, stupid faggot.
>>
>>7387736
>real american cheese

I don't think those words mean what you think they mean.
>>
File: 1449698200298.jpg (7KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1449698200298.jpg
7KB, 184x184px
>>7385873
>Jewel-Osco
Must it even be said
>>
>>7388989
I use kosher salt
>>
>>7385953
>problematic cheeses

wew
>>
>>7385873
As others have said cellulose itself is just a form of insoluble fiber which is good for you and keeps the powdered cheese from clumping. What is really bad is how off their tolerances for it's addition are that they end up diluting the cheese content of the product.

>>7385953
This is the real travesty. GOOD cheese is already ungodly expensive, and there just isn't any real shortcuts apparently that do not involve outright fraud. Fortunately a little goes along way as Chef John tries to get people to understand:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StBnr7bLu3M
>>
>>7391254
>cheese
>expensive

sounds like a real shithole. is 7$ too much for 300g organic gruyere?
>>
>"""""""""""""""""american""""""""" """"""""""""""""""cheese"""""""""""""""""""

what a joke country.
>>
>>7385905
water is also an industrial byproduct
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.