/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been a vegetarian for a few years now, but I still

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9

File: Nations-6-1280x851-500x332.jpg (36KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
Nations-6-1280x851-500x332.jpg
36KB, 500x332px
I've been a vegetarian for a few years now, but I still have fried chicken dreams and shit like that about once a month.

Sometimes I come here just to look at pictures of cheeseburgers and shit.

I've lost control of my life.
>>
>>7380409
So go have some fried chicken and be done with it.
>>
You're not going to die if you eat a burger or some chicken, is your vegetarianism a choice? Because you sound like you're forcing it if you can't occasionllly eat whatever you want.
>>
>>7380410
...and a cheeseburger.
>>
>>7380435
>You're not going to die if you eat a burger or some chicken, is your vegetarianism a choice?

Yep, I'm just a faggot.

>>7380410

Naw, I'm committed, I just say /ck/ and thought
>wow, my very own food blog
>>
>>7380409
just stop being a picky eater
>>
File: 1450955334770.jpg (63KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1450955334770.jpg
63KB, 640x640px
>>7380409
ive been a vegetarian for nine years.

i collect hamburger jpegs.
>>
File: 1454200940172.jpg (319KB, 600x2559px) Image search: [Google]
1454200940172.jpg
319KB, 600x2559px
>>
>>7380580
I'd eat that desu. I haven't had a big, sloppy, gimmick burger in my life. I'd really like to try one, but I don't live in Los Angeles or Philly.
>>
>>7380580
I'm a meat eating madman but that looks like it would have me doubled over in pain afterward.
>>
>>7380580
I'll take two
>>
>>7380580
Post a cap of your folder pls.
>>
>>7380580
I came. Sauce?
>>
File: 1453705693532.jpg (116KB, 560x560px) Image search: [Google]
1453705693532.jpg
116KB, 560x560px
>>7380409
I have completely lost my appetite for meat and cheese.

I think after learning about the health impact of animal based food I have a strong negative association to those foods, much like how taking drugs like meth might superficially feel good, but it fucks you up, so I don't want to take drugs. Likewise, I don't eat animal based foods because it might taste good, but it doesn't do your body any favours in the long run.

You probably still eat a lot of junk that emulates the macronutrient profile of animal based foods(saturated fats), like using refined oils and processed meat substitutes. Since you are vegetarian I assume you probably still consume diary and eggs? These are perhaps some of the most addictive foods out there. It is the actual high levels of saturated fats that trigger opiate responses in your brain, so you are still craving these foods because you are constantly reminding yourself of burgers by eating other foods that stimulate the same response as when you ate burgers.

I follow and would recommend a whole plant based diet, so I get very little simple sugars and saturated fats, so I don't get these drug-like opiate spikes, and hence, I don't crave foods traditionally rich in these triggers like meat and cheese. I still like eating the occasional veggie burger though, but I don't think of it as meat or try to chase the taste of meat.

Some food neuroscience and psychology: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VWi6dXCT7I

If you want to learn more about practical nutrition science you can apply in daily life I suggest you head on over to nutritionfacts.org.
>>
>>7381632
What a stupid post
>>
File: plato.jpg (89KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
plato.jpg
89KB, 850x400px
>>7381637
butthurt nutritionally ignorant carnist pleb detected
>>
File: 1394915129367.jpg (48KB, 590x318px) Image search: [Google]
1394915129367.jpg
48KB, 590x318px
>>7381632
Stopped reading at "meth"

You went full retard, son. You never go full retard.
>>
>>7381697
see >>7381691
>>
>>7381632
>barnard
>greger
>pcrm

lmfao
>>
>>7381726
And you know better than them because...?
>>
>>7381632
Just because something is addictive doesn't mean that it's harmful. You seem to be in the one-track mind school of things.

Example: sexual intercourse with a partner is "addictive" in the same way.
In fact, even having a full stomach releases hormones which make you "feel good."

Most of these behaviors are rooted in evolutionary theory. What helped your ancestors to survive is promoted in your body via hormonal cascades.

Sex. Social interaction. Danger (for some). Food consumption. Mental stimulation. Having Children. Resource hoarding. All of these behaviors are chemically attractive.

The funny thing is that you probably get your "fix" from something aside from food. Maybe it's by the feeling of smug superiority you project. In any case, it's a small comfort knowing how flawed your reasoning is, and about how you deny yourself pleasureful things in your life based on pseudoscience.
>>
File: 1450402068156.jpg (5KB, 250x187px) Image search: [Google]
1450402068156.jpg
5KB, 250x187px
>>7380486

Nigga get the fuck out.
>>
>>7381740
Never trust a vegan or vegetarian, anon. They are almost always flawed belief that their lifestyle is somehow superior to us "filthy carnist's" lives.
They'll throw around these little "studies" about living longer and health, when you can really get the same benefits by eating a balanced diet and not being a fuccboi.
They also live in a world where correlation is causation. They think that, because they stopped over eating meat and cut it out altogether along with a more strict diet and generally more activity, that being vegetarian is what is making them feel better. Most people, when they follow those fad diets like gluten free and no carbs, they tend to restrict caloric intake, stop drinking soda, and take the stairs every once in a while.

Plus, I'll gladly shave off ten years of my life if I can enjoy a perfect medium-rare steak or pile of greasy ass chicken wings. I'm gonna die anyways, so I may as well enjoy the fall with tasty foods.

TL;DR: vegetarians are to not be trusted. they work on half-baked pseudoscience "facts"
>>
>>7381740
>Just because something is addictive doesn't mean that it's harmful. You seem to be in the one-track mind school of things.

I never implied that the addiction is the harmful part of consuming animal based foods, you reached that erroneous conclusion all on your own. I just pointed out food can be addictive. I never made any claims as to why animal based food is unhealthy.

But here are some reasons as to why animal based foods in general are harmful:
-high saturated fats
-cholesterol
-heme-iron
-bacterial endotoxins
-high methoinine
-hormones
-high risk parasite and microbe infection vector
-generally poor micronutrient to calorie profile

At least that is what I can recall off-hand.
>>
>>7381758
Not all vegetarians though. I have a friend who's been vegetarian for half a year, and he only started cause he wanted to challenge his normal food habits. He wanted to expand, and it's really true when people say that limitations breed creativity.
Now, if you argue that vegetarianism is good for healthy benefits, then you clearly have no idea how to piece together a healthy diet in the first place.
But as a project for expanding your horizon of recipes and how you think of food, going vegetarian for a while can be a good idea. Obviously works with any type of food that you're used to. Anything that requires you to think differently of your diet (and everything in general) is healthy.
>>
>>7381758
I agree with a lot of your views on vegans though, which is also why I don't call myself one. I don't care about animal rights or ethics much, I only care about nutrition science.

I have zero problems if you choose to eat your bacon cheese toasted white bread sandwich.

But unfortunately the science is not on the side of animal based foods being healthy.

It might be (mostly) harmless in small quantities(less than 5% of your diet, or one serving a week), but it is only healthy when you are basically already following such a nutritionally shit diet or you are literally starving from a lack of energy, in which case the short term benefit of not dying in the next few days or weeks outweighs the long term detriments of cancer, neurodegenerative deseases, cardiovascular disease, arthritis and so on.

Even then, since there is no real need as there is no nutrients in animal based foods that can't be sourced elsewhere, I don't see a point in consuming a shit tier food, but I respect your right to slowly poison yourself if you like how it makes you feel at the present moment.

>>7381778
>then you clearly have no idea how to piece together a healthy diet in the first place
A balanced meat free diet is healthier than a balanced meat containing diet though.
>>
>>7380677

Looks like ketchup and mozzarella
>>
>>7381768
>-generally poor micronutrient to calorie profile
So talking out of your ass is actually a hobby of yours?

I mean, anybody who has actually looked at what you're talking about knows that animals foods are exceptionally nutrient-dense. Many commonly consumed animal products are more nutrient-dense than all staples, legumes, nuts and most fruits. The only category of food that contains more micronutrients per calorie is vegetables, but it makes no sense to think of vegetables in terms of calories because they contains almost none. If you wanna talk about foods that contain no nutrients per calorie, you'd be better off talking about apples, pears, raisins, rice or wheat.
>>
>>7381740
continuing from >>7381768

>stuff about evolutionary psychology
Thanks for the recap but I know all of this already.

>The funny thing is that you probably get your "fix" from something aside from food.
I never implied this is not the case either. I get my "fix" from exercise, watching chinese cartoons, and music, among other things. Things that don't actually do scientifically proven physical harm to my body and mind. Runners high is pretty schweet mang, you should try it.

>Maybe it's by the feeling of smug superiority you project.
More like pity.

>In any case, it's a small comfort knowing how flawed your reasoning is
You have proven to be the one with flawed reasoning based on all the erroneous assumptions you have made.

>and about how you deny yourself pleasureful things in your life
I don't deny myself all pleasurable things, just the only that have a significant negative impact on my health, current well being and longevity. Just because I have the willpower to be disciplined about certain aspects of lifestyle doesn't mean I don't have pleasure in my life. You seem rather weak willed to me tbqh fampai.

>based on pseudoscience
You can claim that I base my choices on psuedoscience, but why should I listen to you unless you can point out exactly what is psuedoscientific about it?
>>
vegan for three years here.
food pics don't really bother me. Never been big on meat anyway. I like beans.
>>
>>7381768
Most of those points are bullshit. Just going down the list:
>high saturated fats
Balanced diet much?
>cholesterol
Balanced diet much?
>heme-iron
Balanced diet much?
>bacterial endotoxins
Pseudoscience.
http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/Inspections/InspectionGuides/InspectionTechnicalGuides/ucm072918.htm.
>high methoinine
Yeah. It removes heavy metals, is necessary to prevent atherosclerosis, and plays an important role in DNA methylation. Balanced diet much?
>hormones
This one is true
>high risk parasite and microbe infection vector
Only in minor cases. Cooking eliminates this.
>generally poor micronutrient to calorie profile
Wrong.

1 for 8. Nice try.
>>
File: 1415117544897.jpg (23KB, 390x400px) Image search: [Google]
1415117544897.jpg
23KB, 390x400px
>>7381834
Watch me jerk off about myself, the post.

You gave 0 sources for your assertions. You linked a youtube video about the addictive quality of foods and then said that your point was not about that in your previous post. So what am I missing, here?

Where's your sources? Do you have any? Here's an example:
http://ijbnpa.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1479-5868-9-67

This source links mental illness and vegetarian diets. In a public journal. Have fun youtube master.

As >>7381697 said,
you're full retard.
>>
File: 1429777592563.jpg (31KB, 386x494px) Image search: [Google]
1429777592563.jpg
31KB, 386x494px
Lastly, you're misusing a quote.

>>7381691

He was speaking about traditional Greek virtues. The one I assume you're speaking about is restraint.

But the funny thing is that the people eating a stable and balanced diet are the ones demonstrating restraint. This is especially true considering meat consumption was a regular thing in Greece at the time.

It's cute to watch you try to be intellectual and watch your efforts blow up in your face.

Ever see Wacky Races? You're a lot like Dick Dastardly in that you've shot yourself in the dick multiple times over the course of this thread.

Very entertaining.
>>
>>7381925
>This one is true

no it's fucking bullshit most oral mammalian hormones aren't that bioavailable and are degraded too quickly to have any meaningful physiological relevance
>>
>>7381925
>Balanced diet much?
>balanced diet meme
Saturated fats and cholesterol are non-essential, your body can make whatever it needs of these from other nutrients, chronic elevated levels have been strongly linked with multiple degenerative diseases. These are nutrients you want to avoid as they provide no real benefit outside of outlier cases.

In the case of heme-iron, you can get all the iron you need on a plant based diet, and with the increased cancer risk that heme-iron presents, why risk it?

Balancing the good with the bad just counteracts the good. This is a dumb way rationalizing. You should minimize the bad and balance the good with the good. A simple example: spinach is great, but lacks calories, so you balance that with beans or nuts, not bacon.

>Pseudoscience.
>http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/Inspections/InspectionGuides/InspectionTechnicalGuides/ucm072918.htm.
Did you just google endotoxins and click on the first page without even reading the paper? It isn't about testing endotoxins in animal based food, it is about testing endotoxins in pharmaceuticals and related production equipment.

You might want to watch this, a three part series about endotoxins in animal based foods(inb4 youtube/nutritionfacts.org isn't real science meme), click on the "Sources Cited" button for actually relevant scientific papers: http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-leaky-gut-theory-of-why-animal-products-cause-inflammation/
>>
continued from >>7382173

>Yeah. It removes heavy metals,
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/cadmium-and-cancer-plant-vs-animal-foods/
>is necessary to prevent atherosclerosis
citation? Also see next paragraph.
>and plays an important role in DNA methylation. Balanced diet much?
I said high methionine, not no methionine. Methionine is an essential nutrient. Too much, however, is bad, as it is prone to cause oxidative damage, and diets high in methionine have been linked to increased risk of cancer. Plant based foods have it, just less relative to the animal based food profile. For more information see: http://nutritionfacts.org/video/methionine-restriction-as-a-life-extension-strategy/

>Only in minor cases. Cooking eliminates this.
Only if you cook it thoroughly though, not if you make a mistake.

http://www.foodsafety.gov/poisoning/effects/index.html

The risk isn't that small, but the consequence can be long term(some cases life long) suffering or disability, or even worse, deadly. Why risk it?
>>
>>7382178
People have also died from eating contaminated raw vegetables
HURR WHY RISK IT WHY EAT ANYTHING, IT COULD KILL YOU
>>
>have one short and insignificant life
>waste it with stupid food habits like vegetarianism
>>
>>7382235
>have one short and insignificant life
>waste it with stupid habits like going to work
>>
This whole thread is bait, right? The people playing the stupid, opinionated vegetarians are hilariously faggoty. Thanks, guys!
>>
>>7382272
>not enjoying your job
>>
You aren't craving the meat, op. You're craving the spices in the breading. Make some seitan and cover it with kfc style breading. Serve with mashed potatoes and gravy and some cole slaw.
>>
>>7380580
whats wrong with you people?
>>
>>7381940
>Watch me jerk off about myself, the post.
In my my initial reply to OP(>>7381632) I didn't say anything offensive or provocative. Look at the responses to my post though, and then you might understand why I became more abrasive. I simply stopped caring about being nice because I was simply trying to give the OP advice and now everyone was shitting on my post because I dare make the sacrilegious claim their favourite foods are bad for them.

>You gave 0 sources for your assertions. You linked a youtube video about the addictive quality of foods and then said that your point was not about that in your previous post. So what am I missing, here?

The sources I did link was relevant to my point.

The point of my initial reply to OP was simply about the addictive nature of foods and how that might relate to his continued cravings drawing from my own personal experiences on the matter. That I don't consider animal based food healthy plays a huge role in why I no longer find it appetizing. Why I believe that it is unhealthy is irrelevant to the point of my post.

Your butthurt about a claim you disagree with seems to have affected your reading comprehension.

>Where's your sources? Do you have any?
From my original post:
>If you want to learn more about practical nutrition science you can apply in daily life I suggest you head on over to nutritionfacts.org.

Perhaps you should make less assumptions and actually look at things before making baseless claims.

If you want more sources though, another good places to start would be here:
http://plantpositive.com/

Those two websites should keep you busy for a while.

But you have given me little reason to have faith that you actually will look at those sources, so I'm probably just wasting my time.
>>
cont. >>7382482
>Have fun youtube master.
You do realize than Neal Barnard is a qualified research scientist and doctor? Just because something is on youtube doesn't make it less creditable, just more accessible. Criticize his work, not the platform he appears on. If you can, that is.

>http://ijbnpa.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1479-5868-9-67
>This source links mental illness and vegetarian diets. In a public journal.
>Results of the study by Beezhold and colleagues with Seventh Day Adventists indicate that a vegetarian diet in a subculture valuing this practice may even be associated with improved levels of mental health.

Basically, the social ostracization non-carnists face on a daily basis from society for not accepting the holy sacred doctrine of carnism is the most likely cause for mental disorders among veg*ns.

The more time you spend with people the more unavoidable getting to know differences in diet become.

>be at restaurant with visiting business associate
>we talk about what we are getting, I say salad or something
>someone else mentions I'm vegan(which I'm not, but correcting them just makes it worse)
>someone from a different table I don't know overheard her and shouts that I should eat more meat
>get asked where I get my proteins
>now everyone is talking about diet
>I just wanted a salad

Shit like that happens all the fucking time. Yeah, I can understand why veg*ns develop mental disorders like anxiety and depression when they have to deal with the same shit over and over on a daily basis. You reach a point where you avoid people simply to be left alone in peace, because you know the topic will eventually be unavoidable.
>>
>>7381946
>Lastly, you're misusing a quote.
>He was speaking about traditional Greek virtues. The one I assume you're speaking about is restraint.
Actually I just quickly picked a random vaguely relevant picture without much thought, but I'm glad you took it so seriously.

>But the funny thing is that the people eating a stable and balanced diet are the ones demonstrating restraint.
>Implying my diet isn't stable, balanced or an example of restraint.

>This is especially true considering meat consumption was a regular thing in Greece at the time.
Meat consumption was a regular thing throughout human history. That alone doesn't make it healthy in the long term or essential for optimal health though.

That said, humans are anatomically herbivores(http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/natural.html), and while we ate meat, we ate much less than what your average meat eater does today(http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/human-ancestors-were-nearly-all-vegetarians/)

>It's cute to watch you try to be intellectual and watch your efforts blow up in your face.
>Ever see Wacky Races? You're a lot like Dick Dastardly in that you've shot yourself in the dick multiple times over the course of this thread.
>Very entertaining.
I'm not really trying to be intellectual, but I'm glad you managed to entertain yourself by reading too much into what I posted.

>>7381818
I was in the process of recompiling my calculations on nutrient density I did years ago but it is time consuming and I eventually have to stop shitposting on 4chan and do non autistic stuff. It's not that hard though, I'm sure you can do it yourself if you really want to know.
>>
>>7382228
Still safer than cooked meat.

>>7382235
A whole plant based diet can not only improve your quality of life right now, but extend your life expectancy it by more than a decade.

There are many ways to die, a lot of it is outside of our control, but I still don't see why that is any reason to neglect what ways to die we do have control over.
>>
>>7382488
>says he should eat more meat.
your a fucking faggot kid. you avoid social situations not because you are a vegan but because you have a victim complex. Literally nobody gives a shit what you eat or is even listening to the conversation at your table.
>>
>>7382681
>your a fucking faggot kid. you avoid social situations not because you are a vegan but because you have a victim complex
>implying
There is a difference between letting something get to you and just getting tired of the same shit over and over.

I can understand how it could affect other people though.

Also I'm not vegan, in case you missed that part.

>Literally nobody gives a shit what you eat
You might not notice how fanatical people can be about food because most people share the same views(carnism), but when they differ and you are the odd one out you would be surprised how often it gets brought up.

Heck, some of the replies on this thread should be more than enough evidence that people care enough to call me a raging faggot psuedoscience vegan heathen simply because I said something they disagree with.

>or is even listening to the conversation at your table.
I didn't make that up, that really happened.
>>
>>7382763
there is no way someone overheard you and fucking said he should eat more meat. If they did they have more of a problem than you do.
>>
>>7382670
>humans are anatomically herbivores
This couldn't be further from the truth. Humans evolved to eat cooked food and to eat only those parts of plants and animals that are tolerated. So the whole premise of that comparison is fucking retarded because non-human omnivores have to be adapted to eat everything raw, whereas humans don't.
>>
>>7382680
>A whole plant based diet can not only improve your quality of life right now, but extend your life expectancy it by more than a decade.
not really
>>
>>7382339
>being so brainwashed and delusional
good goy
>>
>>7380409
Based on our dental type (we have K9's and sharp front teeth and molars on the sides instead of all the way around) we are classified as omnivores. Just like a brown bear.
Naturally bears eat berries and fruit and other junk. But they also eat meats of deer or salmon. While they have different needs since they hibernate in the winter, were still both omnivores.
So its actually a natural think for humans to every now and again gain protein from meat sources. I grant that in todays age we eat way more that nature intended for us to, but I wouldn't feel bad about keeping it to a minimum because that's how nature intended for you to survive as a basic animal species.
Do we have to scientific ability and knowlege to now go without meat? Yes. And I'm OK with anyone doing so. But you can't deny what nature and genetics over hundereds of thousands of years has made what a human is. An omnivore like a bear. Its just what we evolved into as a basic animal. This is why I don't get why vegetarians beat themselves up so much. Don't feel bad, just because we obtained intelligence doesn't mean we cant just drop a natural instinct developed over a huge amount of time.
>>
>>7380409
dude who the fuck cares i eat vegan 99% of the time but a few times a month i'll scarf down a massive, greasy burger.

not doing that shit is just fuckin bad for you man.
>>
You dream or have you eaten meat recently? If not I guarantee you that it'll make you feel like shit afterwards
>>
>>7380486
I have a friend who is veggie who eats a cheeseburger now and then. If you like only eat one per month, how bad can that be? You are already doing all the animals a solid by staying away from it most of your time.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.