[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are san marzano tomatoes so flavorful? I've lived my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 13

File: san-marzano-tomatoes.jpg (180KB, 525x381px) Image search: [Google]
san-marzano-tomatoes.jpg
180KB, 525x381px
Why are san marzano tomatoes so flavorful? I've lived my life in ignorance, eating roma tomatoes which remind of mush fiber. My eyes were opened today when making my own tomato bisque and I used the recommended san marzano instead of dirt cheap varieties. I was just tasting it for seasoning and the tomato flavor just jumped out at me.
>>
Also bought these when I made a bloody mary linguine. It tasted amazing but I didn't try the tomatoes by themselves
>>
>>7376144

I've never liked Roma but they always seem to get the job done for sauces. Not a lot to choose from around here anyway. Most tomatoes are pretty awful which is why I didn't like them until I was 23 or 24. I still only think they're really good if they're caramelized or sun dried.
>>
>>7376144
I think they are acidic but not too acidic. Nothing really comes close when it comes to a pizza or bolognese sauce.
>>
File: tomatoes-2-600x448.jpg (118KB, 600x448px) Image search: [Google]
tomatoes-2-600x448.jpg
118KB, 600x448px
They're not particularly flavorful, all the other tomatoes you've been eating have been horrible.

See these? Pretty aren't they. They shouldn't be. Tomatoes aren't supposed to look like this. The same selective breeding that makes them so pretty also makes them taste like shit. But it's hard to sell a delicious, blotchy colored, bumpy tomato to the average consumer.
>>
>>7376335
My mom tried to sue me over this. I tricked her into eating the actual nice tasting tomatoes, I made us tomato soup and BLTs (to dip into the soup if you want I guess) and when we were finished I showed her the pictures of the ugly fuck tomatoes that made it. She was furious. My whole life, she swore by "it's the most round and red!"
>>
>>7376335
>>7376454
Any hard data to back up this hypothesis?

The fact of the matter is that, for example, deformities in sweet peppers are the result of inadequate mineral composition of its soil. Since both peppers and tomatoes are nightshades, it would not be the most idiotic thing to assume that this may be true for tomatoes as well.
>>
>>7376335
GMO and selective breeding are not the same, bucko
>>
>>7376480
selective breeding is genetic modification though
>>
>>7376459
cracking, splitting and scarring can be cause by too much/too little water, excessive heat and other environmental factors.
I'd argue that surface appearance and flavor aren't strongly correlated.
>>
>>7376487
Most GMO's dont have modifed genes either.
Fact of the matter is that most GMO crop is experiments along the line of "Lets see what happens when these genes are dominant".
Repeat ad infinite until you have a crop expressing the properties that you want.
Not really that different from selective breeding
>>
>>7376144
that brand of canned tomatoes are not real Italian DOP San Marzano tomatoes, San Marzano is just the brand name.
>>
>>7376510
cool story Monsanto. Man I'm just stupid American consumer. I can't tell between sex and editing DNA on a computer. It's best that I have as little information as possible about my food, or else I might get scared and make educated purchasing decisions.
>>
>>7376487
yes they fucking are
>>
File: 20160120_005314.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160120_005314.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
i buy two bushels of roma tomatoes at the end of august when they go for like $10 each (a bushel weighs like 50 pounds or so)

can them myself

taste like a heaven
>>
>>7376635
>It's best that I have as little information as possible about my food

Well you seem to be on the right track then.
>>
>>7376626
who gives a fuck what marketing designation your government gives them? What matters is how they taste
>>
>>7376635
If you think just knowing whether something is GMO or not educates you in any way, you are the problem
>>
>>7376670
>can them myself
dunno, looks like they're in jars to me
>>
>>7376678
Did you think this would be funny or something?
>>
>>7376635
I love you
>>
File: eros.jpg (67KB, 1024x783px) Image search: [Google]
eros.jpg
67KB, 1024x783px
>>7376734
Be my Valentine?
>>
>>7376721
I thought it was both funny and something
>>
This is the tastiest tomato for eating fresh. The platense or "spider" tomato. Ugly af but makes God tier salads.
>>
>>7376967
The ugliest tomatoes tend to also be the most delicious.
>>
>>7376670
Same (but I go for half a bushel, because carrying that on public transit is tricky enough).
>>
File: image.jpg (178KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
178KB, 900x900px
>>7376967
If you like less watery tomatoes try beef heart tomatoes (pictured). Great for sandwiches.
>>
>>7376677
Nuh uh.
>>
>>7377279
Seriously though. What do you think a simple "GMO" label actually tells you about the product? Unless we require food producers to be very specific and label the exact cultivar this just is not meaningful information.
>>
>>7377322
Even listing the exact cultivar would be completely worthless since 99% of anyone in a supermarket looking at the label will have no idea what it means other than "HURR GMO BAD"
>>
>>7376487
idiot
>>
>>7377322
I don't know, bro, but its not meaningless so stop acting like it is.
>>
>>7377404
Unless you know specifically which traits have been added or removed from that strain it is very much meaningless. No existing or proposed GMO labeling laws address any actual issue. They literally are only being designed as marketing tools for the 'natural' lobby to sell to uneducated women
>>
>>7377419
>uneducated women
tautology
>>
>>7376967
My neighbor gave me a couple saplings of these tomaters last year.
Very nice stiff and full tomato.
>>
>>7376459

He's not talking about deformities. He's talking about varieties with a bumpy/ridged appearance, variegated coloration, and so on.
>>
>>7376626

San Marzano is the tomato varietal. The DOP is for a growing region, and only applies to canned tomatoes. But tomato's grown outside of the DOP are still San Marzano tomatoes, and are still San Marzano tomatoes when sold fresh.

You can grow real San Marzano tomatoes in your backyard. The seed is very easily available, and the plant breeds true so its viable for seed saving as well.
>>
File: Jesus.jpg (277KB, 1266x1926px) Image search: [Google]
Jesus.jpg
277KB, 1266x1926px
>>7376459
>muh science, muh peer review
science BTFO by >>7378083
fuck off atheists
>>
>>7376335
>it's hard to sell a delicious, blotchy colored, bumpy tomato to the average consumer

"heirloom"
>>
>>7376459
Grow some tomatoes. Do you need empirical evidence to tell you that stinky fish will taste worse?
>>
File: flyover.jpg (43KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
flyover.jpg
43KB, 640x426px
>>7378670
Daily reminder that flyover Americans were born without functioning taste buds so they need something reassuringly numeric to be confident that a thing tastes good.
>muh scovilles
>muh IBU
>muh ABV
>muh high percent cocoa mass
>>
>>7378688
Can you explain why it would be bad for someone too look at nutrition information in order to make a purchasing decision?

If I want a hot pepper, why wouldn't I rely at least partially on scovilles?

Do numbers confuse you anon?

Maybe we can have store clerks do interpretive dance to relay information instead?
>>
>>7376678

kek
>>
>>7378688
You are the biggest shitposter on /ck/. Congratulations, you replaced Sceak as the fuck head board troll.
>>
>>7378688

Whatever faggot, enjoy your Del Taco. A trip fag, not to mention one with a name like yours should be disregarded.

Now fuck off and go start a deep dish vs NY pizza thread.
>>
>>7378688
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHNtzxO0y8
>>
mfw people on 4 chan can cook, so like are you women? Moms? I didn't even know this section existed.
>>
>>7378995
/ck/ is 50% college students, 24% moms, 24% homos, and 2% actual people in the restaurant biz.
>>
how does one buy a tonne of san marzano
>>
>>7381158
Buy it from a wholesaler in Italy?
>>
>>7378995

Back to /r9k/ faggot, microwaving packet food isn't cooking.
>>
File: real_san_marzanos.jpg (27KB, 242x320px) Image search: [Google]
real_san_marzanos.jpg
27KB, 242x320px
>>7376144

The tomatoes in your image are not San Marzanos. They are not from Italy.

They are American tomatoes named "San Marzano".

>>7376672

Well, tough guy: did the ones grown in California grow in volcanic soil at the foot of Mount Vesuvius? The reason San Marzanos are good for sauces is that they have low acid in them. The reason real San Marzanos have low acid is because the volcanic soil they grow in is highly alkaline.

The can of tomatoes in OPs image are not San Marzanos. They are imposters.
>>
>>7381246

San Marzano is a tomato cultivar. Pomodoro S. Marzano dell'Agro Sarnese-Nocerino is a DOP. I can grow real San Marzano tomatoes. I cannot grow DOP designated San Marzano tomatoes in my backyard.

Furthermore, the DOP status only applies to canned tomatoes. By your logic, if you went to Italy and bought fresh San Marzanos grown in that volcanic soil, they wouldn't be real San Marzanos because they aren't canned.

tldr : Learn the difference between a plant cultivar and a protected designation of origin.
>>
File: 1454824319023.png (195KB, 1045x209px) Image search: [Google]
1454824319023.png
195KB, 1045x209px
>>7381306
>>7381246
S L A M D U N K E D
L
A
M

D
U
N
K
E
D
>>
>>7381306
>The DOP status only applies to canned tomatoes
Except that's not correct at all and you're an idiot.
>>
>>7381655

Except it is correct. The DOP status is for processed product. Also, San Marzano Tomatoes have only enjoyed DOP status since 1996. By your logic, San Marzano tomatoes didn't exist before 1996 even though the cultivar is over a hundred years old.

Wear a helmet, mouthbreather.
>>
File: jr.jpg (19KB, 340x234px) Image search: [Google]
jr.jpg
19KB, 340x234px
>>7381306
>>7381729

STOP THE DAMN MATCH THIS MAN HAS A FAMILY
>>
>>7378189
Not the anons you are responding to, but while I appreciate your stern fuck you to that anon, would it be too much of a stretch of the imagination to consider that maybe instead of trying to push or enforce an empirical evidence standpoint when it comes to something so subjective, that perhaps instead he is simply and quite honestly a bit autistic and the point went over his head?
Yes, run on sentences.
>>
>>7381306

Sparkling wine is not Champagne.

A San Marzano cultivar grown in Idaho isn't really a San Marzano.

Surely you understand that the tomatoes in OPs image are designed to scam people. Like I said: they are imposters.
>>
File: 1422767783739.jpg (49KB, 250x242px) Image search: [Google]
1422767783739.jpg
49KB, 250x242px
>>7381246
>>7381306
>>7381651
>>7381655
>>7381729
>>7381749
>>
File: Fast-Foods.jpg (51KB, 468x331px) Image search: [Google]
Fast-Foods.jpg
51KB, 468x331px
>my cheap clappyfat garbage is just as good as the real thing because the lies on the outside of the package made me feel better
>nice things are a scam
Why do Americans allow their corporate overlords to put lies on the packaging and say "but that's just the free market lol"

If you want supply and demand to set the price, instead of lies, you want buyers and sellers to have complete and correct information as much as possible.

Allowing lies (as with this fake DOP stuff) and making it illegal to put words on the package (like with the GMO labeling bans) just make the market less efficient.
>>
>>7381158
Alibaba?
>>
>>7381246
They aren't even the right breed, dude. They aren't even called San Marzanos anymore. It's called san merican tomatoes now. Because the Vickers got sued hopefully.
>>
>>7381862

> San Marzano cultivar
>not San Marzano

The champagne example is completely different. There is no grape cultivar named "Champagne". In the case of these tomatoes, San Marzanos grown out of the DOP region are still San Marzano tomatoes. They just aren't DOP San Marzano tomatoes.
>>
>>7376144
>F3
>"john"
>no results
Stop posting John.
>>
>>7376459
Some Good Eats episode explained the science behind it but I'm too lazy to look it up. Google 'Good Eats tomatoes' or something
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.