[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>no Beer General Disgusting. >Drinking >Buying >Brewing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 338
Thread images: 77

File: IMG_20160119_182305.jpg (352KB, 1520x1581px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160119_182305.jpg
352KB, 1520x1581px
>no Beer General
Disgusting.

>Drinking
>Buying
>Brewing

Currently drinking this. Pretty great actually, very boozy tho - one to drink over a while. Glad it wasn't another meme beer like KBS.
>>
File: IMAG0477.jpg (340KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0477.jpg
340KB, 1520x2688px
Oh and I had this on Sunday too. Also really great, don't think I've had a bad Founders beer yet.
>>
>>7285875
You think breakfast stout is boozy? I've never heard that before
>>
>>7285944
Could taste the high % of alcohol in it. I've had beers of similar ABV and not noticed it. Wasn't a criticism, just something I noticed.

Could just be me tho.
>>
>>7285957
I just have never noticed any booze to breakfast stout, but I haven't tried this year's batch so maybe it's changed
>>
if ur beer is under 8% literally kill yourself lmao desu baka senpai tbqh kmt
>>
>>7285944

My hipster friend says the coffee is too burnt and the chocolate is too sweet and it's too boozy but he's just saying that because it's such a popular beer. I've given him some before and told him it was something else and he liked it.

Founders is consistently great, OP. Try Curmudgeon if you see it. Rubaeus is usually amazing but not so much this year. KBS is really good but yes I guess it would fit the definition of a meme beer. I don't get the hype.

Had anyone had the Smuttynose really old brown dog ale? Fucking delicious barrel aged brown ale and only $11 for a four pack. Almost as good as Prairie's Okie which was goddamn $37 for a four pack.
>>
File: ig.jpg (75KB, 852x1136px) Image search: [Google]
ig.jpg
75KB, 852x1136px
Drinking this. Just as disapointing as all their other beers that I have tried.

I didnt even want to buy it, but I was shopping and didnt have any beer for tonight, and this was about the only thing I hadnt tried. First and last time for this one I think.
>>
File: salvator.jpg (114KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
salvator.jpg
114KB, 800x600px
>>7285875
Can anyone recommend me a good bready, malty beer? I really like that flavor from the SN oktoberfest i had recently, so id like to have something else with it, maybe in a little bit of a bolder version. Would something like a bock fit the bill? Salvator doppelbock and stuff.
>>
http://intranet.specsonline.com/cgi-bin/docbuilder?done=close&docid=MAILINGS:3199&submit=DisplayOnly&

YES
>>
What's good for a novice to start off with?

I'm mostly into darker kinds of beer, however do have a wheat beer from time to time.
>>
>>7286713
malty is easy to find lad but if you are looking for a naughty sweet caramel hit up some einstok dopplebock senpai its a dank icelandic beer and its well sound
>>
/ck/, I want a beer that's almost chewable. Bread in a bottle, more or less. The sort of thing that would be brewed and taken out to the men working in the field at lunchtime. Anything come to mind? Would prefer slightly lower abv, but not a must.
>>
File: peekskill.jpg (52KB, 559x417px) Image search: [Google]
peekskill.jpg
52KB, 559x417px
I am drinking a growler of Freak Tractor from Brewery in NY right now.

It is a 6.5%apv wild ale. By wild they of course just mean brett. It is pretty alright, just another mediocre US wild ale.

However, it has the most overwhelming banana taste I have ever experienced in a beer, it is almost like banana flavoring more than bananas. No brett in the initial taste or at all until the the finish, which is dry and bitter.
>>
Just drinking some firestone DBA
>>
File: BadgerHill-MSB-Web-Edit.png (160KB, 250x411px) Image search: [Google]
BadgerHill-MSB-Web-Edit.png
160KB, 250x411px
Drinking a couple of these tonight. Nothing crazy. Wish they sold 12 packs of the stuff though
>>
>>7286909
If you get a drought stout beer in Ireland or certain bars that have barrel delivery, you can have this, but you can't bottle or can it because it goes bad. Thick as oatmeal and more bitter than black coffee.
>>
>>7285875
>boozy
Lol everybody look at this fuckin vag
>>
File: mst.jpg (59KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
mst.jpg
59KB, 640x640px
Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro

The last time I had it, I poured it incorrectly. This time, I did it right, and holy shit. I'm pretty sure this is going to become my go-to standard beer of choice.

It's absolutely perfect. Hits every note I want on a normal basis, with god tier mouth feel.

I should have taken a second picture showing how this head settled. Never got under an inch for the entire drink.
>>
>>7285976
Not him, but I ALWAYS notice the booze in oatmeal stouts. I'm not sure why.
>>
What are some decent Japanese beers?
>>
>>7286772
For real? ABOUT TIME!

Folks, this could be the best Hefe you have never had, and I don't even like that style.
>>
>>7287716
99% of them are available outside Japan.

We have Hitachino Nest and MAYBE Baird exported outside of Japan, but essentially nothing else.

There really isn't much good good beer beer being brewed in Japan in the first place. I mean, they have some micro/craft breweries, but Japan is very, very small, unlike, lets say, the US. So even if craft beer were to be thriving there the amount of beer they would be churning out would be relatively small.

Unfortunately it is a niche thing over there, so the amount of good/craft beer is less than minuscule.
>>
Picked up a 6-pack of the new Azacca today and it's a solid IPA. Nothing mindblowing and I still prefer Bell's Two Hearted ale for this kind of IPA but still very good and single hope IPAs are interesting just to learn from.

>>7285875
If you like FBS what do you dislike so much about KBS? FBS is definitely lower alcohol, it is thick and chocolatey though
>>
>>7287716
>japanese mayo
Sapporo is a lot like miller lite but tastes slightly better.
>>
>>7286783
old Rasputin would be a nice start
>>
File: TBS_Brand_Lockups_AK_IPA.jpg (22KB, 350x374px) Image search: [Google]
TBS_Brand_Lockups_AK_IPA.jpg
22KB, 350x374px
>>
What is the consensus of chimay. It's pricy for me but the taste is rather good.
Also has anyone tried southern tier beer? Yay? nay? What say you
>>
>>7288308
Chimay is pretty great and so is ST although they do make a lot of meme beers.
>>
Busch Lite is the king of cheap beer
>>
>>7288319
Stop
>>
>>7288380
Who are you calling stop faggot?
>>
File: spunk ipa.jpg (93KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
spunk ipa.jpg
93KB, 333x500px
post hoppy beers that don't taste like someone is trying to beat you unconscious with a pine tree
>>
>>7285875
Got a couple of cans of Coors Lite.
Not bad if it's chilled, not very hoppy but a passable ale.
>>
>>7286933
Try amazeballs if you go back if you like pales at all. It's pretty much their meme beer, but with good reason; it's delightful if you're into the pale spectrum at all.

I'm also very fond of Eastern and Higher Standard as high quality IPAs that don't beat you over the head with hops.

BOTTLING FUCKING WHEN
>>
>>7289299
I just wasn't in the mood for an IPA.

I love IPAs, but a had bought and drank so many IPAs this past month I just needed something different.
>>
>>7289308
Amaze is a regular pale ale, to be clear.

Eastern Standard is one of their better beers. Higher is a double based on it.

Definitely try them again if you go back. However, if you've never been before bear in mind that their menu is pretty fluid on the food end and that what you ate this time may be gone by the next.
>>
Who else /snowdrinking/ this weekend?
>>
>>7290386
east coast canadian here, drinking to prepare for the storm after you guys get it
>>
>>7290386
I'll be housesitting for someone during the storm so I'm trying to decide what to bring and drink. I'll definitely be /snowdrinking/ either a growler from some local brewery or just some bombers like Abyss.
>>
File: kampioenzijnisplezant.jpg (134KB, 650x400px) Image search: [Google]
kampioenzijnisplezant.jpg
134KB, 650x400px
What's /ck/'s opinion on Belgian beers?
>>
>>7290859
Allergen warning: Contains traces of waffle.
>>
>>7290859
I like them a lot but something about them makes them hard to enjoy multiple of. You can drink plenty of lager or an ipa but with most Belgians I'd just savor one drink basically.
>>
>>7285875
Founder's Dirty Bastard might be my favorite beer.

>>7287716
Very few. Almost none of which are available outside Japan. Suntory Premium Malts is OK. If I want to drink more than a few, Asahi Super Dry goes down easy.
>>
>>7290386
Aye. But not beer. Beer isn't for snow. You need something a bit stiffer.
>>
File: RootBeerBabe.jpg (33KB, 700x466px) Image search: [Google]
RootBeerBabe.jpg
33KB, 700x466px
What do you cu/ck/s think of alcoholic root beer? I've only had Not Your Father's, and it's good. Pretty sweet though. Anybody tried anything different?
>>
>>7289085
There are none. IPAs are the worst concept for a beer that has ever been created and I'm including the lady water that top American breweries produce.
>>
>>7290984

There's Coney Island's Root Beer. It's even more sugary than NYF's.
>>
File: celebrator.jpg (14KB, 267x188px) Image search: [Google]
celebrator.jpg
14KB, 267x188px
>>7286713
This
>>
I recently had New Holland's Dragon's Milk which is, obviously, a milk stout. It was ok. I've had better milk stouts but it's a stout, so I'm drinking it.
>>
>>7290984
Bayou Bootlegger from Abita is pretty good. It is less sugary than NYF or Coney Island.
>>
>>7290984
I checked out six the other day, and tried them all.

NYF was actually the one I liked the most. Coney Island the least. I liked Sprecher almost as much as NYF.
>>
>>7290935
idk man, I could drink a dozen duvels if they weren't so damn expensive.
>>
>>7287716
kirin ichiban goe perfectly with sushi. just a great barley beer
>>
File: 3 Sheeps Ewephoria.jpg (65KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
3 Sheeps Ewephoria.jpg
65KB, 720x960px
About to drink one of these
>>
>>7290859
>opinion on Belgian beers
Pretty good as far as Europe goes
>>
>>7290956
>Founder's Dirty Bastard might be my favorite beer.
>scotch ale
Never tried one

>>7290984
It's way too sugary. The first time you drink it it's pretty cool and tastes like root beer but once you're halfway through the bottle it tastes bad.
>>
Drinking: Pic related.
Buying: All sorts of stuff?
Brewing: I've only got a mead fermenting right now, but a beer is planned, a brown ale.
>>
>>7285879
My all-time favorite beer.
>>
>>7286164
Smuttynose is underrated. Love a lot of their brews and they're always reasonably priced instead of stupidly expensive. Gotta support a brewery like that.
>>
>>7287599
Too watery for me. It's smooth, but thin. I like thicker stouts.
>>
>>7290984
Best Damn Root beer is my favorite. Tastes less like shit and more like an actual root beer.
>>
>>7291052
I guess I'm thinking of heavier Belgians but even the lightest tripels and dubbels I've had were filling.
>>
>>7285879
I've had that, not bad
>>
>>7288308
>southern tier
I like their pumpkin beer quite a bit, though I'm guessing that's going to be an excuse for /ck/ to scream meme-beer at me. My closest liquor stores don't appear to stock their normal shit so I haven't tried it yet but I want to.
>>
>>7290984
was kind of disappointing desu. too sweet, kind of unpleasant for me overall. ultimately decided that if i had to have alcoholic root beer i'd buy a compatible liquor and some regular root beer and just mix.
>>
File: St_Bernardus_Abt_12_900.jpg (107KB, 575x900px) Image search: [Google]
St_Bernardus_Abt_12_900.jpg
107KB, 575x900px
>buy 10 bottles of St. Bernardus Abt 12
>leave them in your cellar/closet for a year
>wait for weather to get cold
>drink

This is the key to winter drinking happiness.
>>
>>7291569
can you gib a review??
>>
>>7291050
I like sprecher best, but can only find it in 4 packs so I usually pass on it
>>
>>7291094
>3 sheeps
They're getting better and better. Really glad they started distributing wider
>>
>>7290984
Hate to use this term but, it's meme beer.
>>
>>7292475
Alcoholic root beer is the definition of "meme beer"
>>
>>7291569
I did the same with a dozen Rochefort 10s. Only problem is, I'm not sure if I wanna harvest them or see what they're like with another year or two on them.
>>
File: GrapefruitSculpin_Primary1.png (193KB, 340x462px) Image search: [Google]
GrapefruitSculpin_Primary1.png
193KB, 340x462px
Who /IPA/ here?
>>
>>7292676
IPAs are the best type of beer, fuckin fight me.

My favorite is Jai Alai. I've been meaning to try Dorado but I can't find any fresh.
>>
>>7292732
>Jai Alai
I've never had it but it sounds good. Will keep my eyes peeled for it

>Dorado
Ballast Point?
>>
>>7292595
Nope, any fly-by-night faggot child of the Craft Beer "Revolution" who started a microbrewery in the last ten years and spent more time designing a label which appeals to hipsters than he did working on his recipes is the definition of "meme beer". So pretty much anything to come out of America in the last ten years.
>>
>>7292769
>I've never had it but it sounds good. Will keep my eyes peeled for it
It's from Cigar City Brewing. Tastes like fruit juice
>Ballast Point?
yep

I've had most of their other usual beers. My favorite is Sculpin but I've only ever had one good one. That good one was incredible.
>>
>>7292813
>Tastes like fruit juice
Interesting

The Dorado is good, just a little too resin-y for me to justify having more than 1. Definitely try the grapefruit and habanero sculpins if you haven't
>>
>>7292732
typical meme craft beer drinker
>>
>>7292819
I like habanero but I don't like Habanero Sculpin very much. I've had Grapefruit Sculpin before, it's good
>>
>>7292841
typical bait

or typical stupid normie
>>
>>7292844
I identify as being a normie, so yes.
>>
>>7291316

I'm learning this. Picked up a bomber of their chocolate and marshmallow stout for only $6.50. Sounds good. Never had beer with bones in it either so that's a plus.
>>
Got a few bottles of this in, its pretty decent stuff.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-21-13-29-33.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-21-13-29-33.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
#justcraftbeergeekthings
>>
>>7292676
Ballast Point is overpriced as hell.

I usually stick with Two Hearted, Stone, and Victory for IPA's
>>
>>7293111
It's worth it imo

Victory Dirtwolf is pretty solid
>>
>Mfw i'm belgian and these discussions about meme beers and people unable to drink more than 1 trappist
>>
File: disg.gif (83KB, 395x281px) Image search: [Google]
disg.gif
83KB, 395x281px
>>7293148
>mfw someone posts mfw without a pic of their fw
>>
>>7293203
On phone, on top of being belgian i am a pleb. But atleast i can get descent beer at a bar.
>>
>>7293215
Nice chips, too.
>>
>>7293215

>judges things he's never tried
>extremely pretentious about BEER

Belgian beer is great but American beer is too.
>>
>>7293233
I have to share a country with the french and my way of life is being threatened by sandniggers, let me be pretentious about the one thing we're good at aside from pedophelia. I also said at a bar, i don't believe every bar in america serves the most basic of beers like duvel, west-malle or delirium tremens

And IPAs are meme beers, i don't need to try them all to know that
>>
Recommend an American-brewed pilsner?
>>
>>7293366
Preferably New England area, also
shit skunks if you look at it the wrong way
>>
>>7293273

>I also said at a bar, i don't believe every bar in america serves the most basic of beers like duvel, west-malle or delirium tremens

I'll give you that. Duvel is the most popular around here. I never see Westmalle. The shitty bars here will have a local IPA on tap and that's about it. Most bars have a better selection though.

IPAs have flooded the market but one out of every ten or so is really good. The ones I enjoy are typically 10+ abv with extreme fruit flavors. The kind you drink one of and move onto something else. Not the bitter hopwater that most breweries feel they have to shit out to make any money.
>>
>>7293273
They sell Chimay at our fucking super markets dude
>>
>>7293376

There aren't many. I like lagunitas's Czech pilsner.
>>
>>7293389
Impressive i guess, all 5 varieties? How about the other 12 trappists? Have you had the american one because i really want to try that.
>>
>>7293467
I've seen have red, blue, and cinq cents. Nver had the American trappist one but I've had several American beers that were in that style.
>>
>>7293467
I think I've seen about 6? Or more different trappists in stores. Not too sure I'm not the biggest fan of them so I don't look very hard
>>
File: aangeschotenluiemilitair.jpg (15KB, 299x225px) Image search: [Google]
aangeschotenluiemilitair.jpg
15KB, 299x225px
>>7293148
Fixed your fw, anon
>>
>>7293215
You actually think decent beer doesn't exist outside of Belgium?!
>>
>>7292813
>>7292769
Seconding Jai Alai.

I don't like IPAs, but it's the first I've ever tried where I am wanted more.
>>
>>7291316
The Robust is my favorite Porter in the country.

>tfw you have not yet had Edmund fitzgerald
>>
>>7293618
Ty, thats bang on

>>7293641
I know every foreign beer i ever tried was utter shit so based off that experience yes, yes i do
>>
>drink most days for 22 years, be stoner for few months here n' there so get a few breaks
>weed tolerance absurd, cost ridiculous, stahp
>drink 20-60 units every day for 4 months
>sometime later
>get out of hospital an hour ago
well, that wasn't fun. also holy shit some nurses are hot. might have over-used the "wanna go out for a drink with me?" line.
>>
>>7288308
I've had ST's Pumpking, Warlock, and 2x Christmas. They were all good, you should try some if you can find any. Pumpking is the best pumpkin beer I've had so far, though I've only tried about six others.
>>
>>7293366
>>7293376
Mass Rising IPL is top class if you can find it, brewed in Framingham but it's a mix of IPA and Pilsner so it might not be what you're looking for
>>
I just tried a bottle of Desperados. Can barely taste the Tequila at all, mainly just tastes like a citrusy beer

It's got me interested in what a beer with real Tequila might taste like though, since I was recently introduced to having a pint with a shot of Jager which is delicious. Might have to try it next time I'm in my local
>>
>>7293376
Victory Prima Pils
>>
>>7293467
not all 12 are available but a few are widely available in the US. I've seen the American trappist ales for sale but haven't bought them. We have some great American non-trappist breweries that make Belgian-style ales that are extremely high quality.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
Just started this experimental micro-batch today, brewed a similar one before and I'm hoping to refine it a bit before next year through various iterations.
>>
>>7293876
I had a tequila barrel aged sour the other day and they went insanely well together, but they said it was a very brief aging process because the tequila would have overtaken the beer. Try a little at a time and see how it goes
>>
File: rogue-sriracha-hot-stout-glass.png (390KB, 480x474px) Image search: [Google]
rogue-sriracha-hot-stout-glass.png
390KB, 480x474px
Who else is sitting down with a cold glass of the good shit? Pic related
>>
>>7294187

InternallyInternalies.jpg
>>
>>7294030
What would a belgian style beer be then because i litterally have no idea. Throw me some names i'll look up the brewing details.
I must also say that some trappists aren't even available everywhere in belgium. The west-vleteren is only sold at the abby itself and you're only allowed to buy 1 crate at a time. It is however top 3 best beers i have ever tried. Most abbies have a variant that's only sold on site and it's usually the best one too, sneaky monks...
>>
File: beers_brownshugga_main[2].jpg (30KB, 300x281px) Image search: [Google]
beers_brownshugga_main[2].jpg
30KB, 300x281px
bought this last saturday. 2nd beer from lagunitas.

the first sip immediately reminded me of a marsala wine, a sickly sweetness that I really wasn't anticipating from a beer. from then on that's all i could really taste.

never tried this style before but can't say i'm a fan of this one.
>>
>>7294187
ayye anon i live in Corvallis! rogue is great but its the most expensive beer ever.
>>
File: allagash+(1)[1].jpg (73KB, 395x197px) Image search: [Google]
allagash+(1)[1].jpg
73KB, 395x197px
>>7294267
Allagash is a fantastic American brewery and they almost exclusively brew Belgian styles. My favorites from them are their tripel and their wit
>>
>>7294267
I saw west-vleteren 12 for sale once in the US and the store was asking $110 dollars for it. I didn't buy it but I do like St Bernardus Abt 12 and I hear they are very similar beers.
>>
File: IMG_3039-e1437013812257.jpg (243KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3039-e1437013812257.jpg
243KB, 960x1280px
Love this shit
>>
Is it just me, or does Guinness just taste like straight up water? My go-to is Old Rasputin. I don't know how people drink pisswater like Guinness.
>>
baka you guys are fucked
>>
File: 2015-10-18 17.37.24.jpg (284KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-18 17.37.24.jpg
284KB, 1200x1600px
Drinking a couple St. Arnold's Art Car IPAs. It really is the only beer they make that doesn't have St. Arnold's taste. Also you can't beat $7.99 for a sixer.
>>
>>7294318
Guinness is a very light or even watery beer and the nitro makes it even easier to drink. The color is dark but it is pretty far from Old Rasputin. I love Old Rasputin and other imperial stouts too, especially Bell's Expedition.
>>
>>7294310
Those were the bricks :) the abby wanted to renovate and build a new brewery section but that required money so they went and made some deal with delhaize(?) They packaged 4 bottles and a glass to be sold in regular supermarkets all over the country for i think €80. Some found their way to the US i guess. My local supermarket didn't sell the boxes when they were doing the limited sale but the owner found a pallet a year or so after the campaign.
>>
>>7294310
And yes the bernardus is very similar, some find it better...
>>
>>7294398
It's good to hear that. I can buy 4-packs of Abt 12 for about 20 dollars here in the states. It's pricy but reasonable.
>>
>>7294057
What have you got in there m8?
Going to brew something myself tomorrow
>>
>>7293111
its worth it
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I hope this will be as good as Death By Coconut was.
>>
>>7294414
This one is weird. It was first a fruity dark porter, I liked it but wondered how it would taste without the residual sweetness and with the malt character emphasised over the yeast. So I made a black lager with roughly the same recipe, then I made a black lager again but this time with ginger added as a dry hop, I liked the spice character but but using raw ginger leaves a really astringent bite that overpowers the hop notes towards the end. This one has come almost full circle and uses my house dual strain yeast that was originally a lager yeast with some chimay white I stole from a bottle. The lager and chimay really synergise to provide a moderate spicy aromatic note and it finishes dry and slightly tart, most likely due to some lacto baccillus that got cross contaminated from brewing next to my sauerkraut.
The malt is mostly pale and pilsner with a few types of roast malt and light crystal, about 2% oat for head retention. Hallertauer bittering with galaxy and haller flavour hop.
>>
File: weltenburg_dunkel.jpg (51KB, 715x480px) Image search: [Google]
weltenburg_dunkel.jpg
51KB, 715x480px
>>7286713

Weltenburger Barock Dunkel
>>
Had 512's Pecan Porter last night. was pretty good, at least for someone like me who doesn't normally drink beer.
>>
>>7291041
my only problem with that stuff is that its too expensive, rather just get a six pack of salvator for 10 bucks than a 4 pack of that for like 11. i live in the states, dont know how it is in europe or wherever.
>>
>>7294646
Its fucking crazy how much most decent Euro beer costs compared to good American beer
>>
>>7285875
in the tanks:

pilot irish red
russian imperial stout
ipa x2
blonde (a)
blonde (b)
imperial brown w/ coffee
>>
>>7292857
Not him, but normie is derogatory. What you just said is like someone calling a black guy a nigger and him putting his chin up and saying "i identify as a nigger, so yes." and walking away triumphantly.
>>
>>7294478
Sounds interdasting. What kind of setup do you have for lagering?
>>
>>7294443
it's very good and it makes me wonder why Oskar Blues doesn't always have some kind of porter available. I'd love to see either this new coffee porter or DBC become readily available.
>>
>>7292792
Imagine a craft beer thread without any American brews. Oh you can't because it would fade into obscurity and die. Just like craft beer without America. Smd euro
>>
>>7295163
Oh no! What would we do without all the overhopped pine piss and the double chocolate peach cobbler sour ales? And who would design all the quirky labels with poorly draughted pictures of dragons and smelly old bastards on them?
>>
>>7295279
>Oh no! What would we do without all the overhopped pine piss and the double chocolate peach cobbler sour ales
Just drink shitty lighter lagers like you currently do
>>
>>7295279
>getting mad at labels
You realize there are probably 25,000 american beers needing labels? Breweries use all sorts of different label themes, its silly to even try and summarize what they look like as there is so little they have in common as a group
>>
>>7295279
InBev pls go
>>
>>7295338
Oh I see, it's just another fat dunce who's never been outside of America
>>
I heard drinking beer increases estrogen? Thoughts?
http://www.medicaldaily.com/do-hoppy-beers-cause-man-boobs-higher-estrogen-levels-and-brewers-droop-339404
>>
>>7295455
you have man boobs because you're a fatass. now fuck off.
>>
>>7294775
Well I only brew lagers in the winter when my shed stays a constant 4C, not sure you could call that a setup.
>>
File: Stoltlager.jpg (735KB, 2304x1296px) Image search: [Google]
Stoltlager.jpg
735KB, 2304x1296px
Had this with dinner. Very strange taste, suspect it was ruined.
>>
>>7292676
Sierra Nevada Torpedoes are my choice when I can't find anything new to try.
>>
File: Grandenoir.jpg (978KB, 2688x1512px) Image search: [Google]
Grandenoir.jpg
978KB, 2688x1512px
Very nice dessert beer. Starting to really like this brewery!
>>
File: IMG_20160122_180844.jpg (226KB, 1520x1702px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160122_180844.jpg
226KB, 1520x1702px
OP here.

Currently drinking my way through this. Very nice, Sierra Nevada stuff always being reliably good. Nice and fruity, smooth as well. Not stupidly over hopped, either.
>>
>>7296740
Where would you put it in comparison with their pale ale and the Torpedo?
>>
>>7296754
not that anon but I'd put it right in the middle of those two.

Torpedo has bold hop flavors, while hop hunter has a smooth bitterness that's nicely balanced
>>
>>7296754
Hmm, tricky. I think it edges them out a bit. Just that bit smoother and flavourful. Honestly it's been a while since I've had the Torpedo, tho.

Definitely worth a try if you come across it.
>>
File: Daura.jpg (726KB, 2304x1296px) Image search: [Google]
Daura.jpg
726KB, 2304x1296px
>>7296769
>>7296770
Really like their stuff so i will have to try and pick it up when and if i see it around!

Had a bland lager just now that i just happened to pick up, nothing special about it, just ok.
>>
File: iaatb1.jpg (153KB, 1024x765px) Image search: [Google]
iaatb1.jpg
153KB, 1024x765px
Why is the Belgian style of beer so intensely superior to any other form of beer?

>fruity
>sweet
>spicy
>perfect carbonation
>refreshing
>smooth
>>
File: 1453487881959-16817760.jpg (681KB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1453487881959-16817760.jpg
681KB, 1944x2592px
:^)
>>
>>7291569
The stores around me have year old to two year old bottles anyway. SUBURBIA!

Really, if I want a nicely aged beer I just need to grab the more expensive bottles in the suburbs. Living in the outskirts of chicago along the train tracks pays off quickly.
>>
>>7292270
They were at my local grocery stores and liquor stores for a while then just disappeared after not selling well. What the fuck. I feel like I'm missing out. At least the bars still get their more special brews. Gotta love the bars around here, they really do it right even if it's 5 to 10 dollars for a good draft beer.
>>
>>7293148
Trappists don't taste good to everyone. I've had some good ones, but I hate banana flavors in my beer so that rules out many, and I like a thicker body to my beer so that rules out even more. Super yeasty flavors don't really do it for me either. Trappists just aren't s style that calls out to me. I'll get a delirium every once in a while out of the can.
>>
>>7294268
Really? I love right by the Chicago brewery and I have to say the hops really drive this beer. The sugary flavor takes a back seat to the hops and malt in my opinion. Could just be the batches I've gotten or maybe because of all the IPAs I drink from bombers I don't taste the sweetness as much.

Speaking of which, the only hop bombs I've had which could be described as savory were when I was on a long vacation in mendocino, the town. Kilt Lifter blew my mind. Savory hop flavor, like grass. I fell in love. You can't get it back in Chicago. What are some other savory, super hopped beers with such unique character? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Also, the prices out there. Whew lad, the selection was much smaller but the prices were killer cheap.
>>
>>7294443
Hell no it isn't. I bought a tall boy to try and it was more like drinking coffee. I liked it, but I'll never spend 6 bucks on a store bought pint again.
>>
>>7294478
Man you are into this. Such complexity. I'd love to try your beer.
>>
File: Emelisse.jpg (735KB, 2304x1296px) Image search: [Google]
Emelisse.jpg
735KB, 2304x1296px
Very heavy traditional imperial stout! Like it alot.
>>
>>7297020
That does sound like a ripoff. I posted that picture last night and enjoyed the beer but for 10 or 11$ per 4-pack I don't think I'll buy it again. Should've been a 6-pack or should've been a bit stronger on the alcohol/"heavier". I have no complaints about the strong coffee flavor though since I enjoyed that.
>>
>>7297133
Yeah, the cold brew was a nice addition, but I'd rather get a coffee stout for that price.
>>
>>7297029
Cheers man, brewing good beer is probably mu second strongest passion after my career. I had a marketing guy/headhunter practically beg me to get in touch with a brewery after trying some of my beer at a party. I'd love to help bring good beer to people but right now I want to really perfect my craft before I go public.
>>
I'm brewing a bucket of makgeolli right not. Never had makgeolli before, so I hope it turns out tasty....
>>
>>7293676
Then your experience is absolutely worthless. Or, you're a pretentious nationalist purely for the sake of it.
>>
>>7297355
Every single foreign beer i have ever had was a bad version of something belgian i had before. I also admitted to being pretentious. Now back to your local micro special pumpkin stoutlagerale
>>
>>7297577
what have you had? Do you hate all stouts or something?
>>
File: 1443114050719.png (102KB, 1437x773px) Image search: [Google]
1443114050719.png
102KB, 1437x773px
>18
>just moved for college
>parents were super lenient and picked up pretty much whatever I asked for from the liquour store that I could give them money for.
>can't drink legally until 19th birthday in 6 months
>stuck with whatever garbage people decide to serve at parties (occasionally you get blue buck, which is acceptable)
>tfw
>>
>>7297610
At this point, I don't expect him to tell the truth.
>>
>>7297081
where do you get all these different beers?
do you order online or something?
it seems like you post 10+ different ones every thread
>>
>>7297577
M A X I M U M F E D O R A
>>
File: 1359484704_2276_photo.jpg (41KB, 263x350px) Image search: [Google]
1359484704_2276_photo.jpg
41KB, 263x350px
>>7297704
This and Hap & Harry's Tennessee Lager
>>
Got a growler of Imperial Biscotti Break for this coming storm. I haven't had it before but I'm hoping it's good.
>>
File: woellnitzer_weissbier.jpg (44KB, 100x383px) Image search: [Google]
woellnitzer_weissbier.jpg
44KB, 100x383px
I have this right now. Needed a refreshment after work.
>>
>>7297610
I can't remember what i had (you could've seen this coming). I had the 3 major irish stouts some english beers, never anything american because they don't sell them here because guess what we have a better version of whatever you produce. Yes i'm pretentious i thought everyone here was. I also never said i hated stouts, this entire thread is people saying how great their special beer is that's available only in 1 bar in 1 state (this is my impression anyway, conveying what i think in a language not my own in written text is hard with all the sarcasm i usually employ). I'm open to try any beer. the only thing i ever wanted to convey was that in my experience (however lightly you might take that) whatever you can do, i can do better (please get the reference)

P.S. stouts aren't too bad, never had a belgian (that i can remember) so murphy's is the best imho
>>
>>7297843
I find it hard to believe a schlafly coffee stout was anything but fantastic, but I haven't had it. There's no way something called Tennessee Lager is even passable.

That's some pretty limited experience to be making the statements you do. Especially in a group of people who have had tons of belgians.
>>
>>7297640
>19?
Where do you live?
>>
>>7298012
>american beer must be awful because i've never had it

That's about what I expected.

>their special beer is that's available only in 1 bar in 1 state
Your impression of the availability of these beers is completely incorrect. You are not intelligent.

>all non-belgian beers are bad
>stouts aren't bad
>never had a belgian stout
Jesus, man, you're doing this for the attention.
>>
>>7298064
I'm at over 100 belgians, atleast 5 dutch, 7 british, 10 irish, 5 german, 3 austrian an italian and a frenchie and that's counting the ones i was sober enough to remember. There's barely any foreigners for sale here and again i'd love to try some americans.

Had tons of belgians he says...
>>
has anyone here had Nugget Nectar, made in Pennsylvania? the shit is crazy good
>>
>>7298077
Never said i think american beer is bad, only said i have never tried one. Will you please read, not being as good as something doesn't mean bad. Democracy is good but it's not as good as freedom. That doesnt mean democracy is bad.
Not having tried a belgian stout was an anecdote. i think murphy's could be better than any belgian stout, don't think belgian stout would be bad but since i never tried one i can't say so go aheadd and bend my words again. From this post you'll be able to make that i hate freedom and i'm a communist.

You are giving me attention :^)
>>
>>7298069
Probably in Canada. That's their drinking age in all provinces except Quebec, Manitoba, and Alberta
>>
>>7298012
Even for the few American beers that are only available in one state are still as available as your beers. And our states are as big as your country.
>>
File: tumblr_lzw5adqjD71qfga1ko1_1280.png (2MB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lzw5adqjD71qfga1ko1_1280.png
2MB, 1024x1024px
>>7298012
>mfw I've been to belgium and was it so underwhelming it hurt
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>7298154
Drinking some right now actually. It's very fresh and delicious.
>>
>>7298064
Im not the belgians guy
>>
>>7298155
You can't say you assume only Belgium has good beer without saying you think the beer in every other country -- which includes America -- is bad.

This is your problem, you make sweeping generalizations with no foundation. What's interesting to me is you don't stick to them, you backtrack as though you didn't.
>>
>>7298124
Oh wow! Over 100!

Wow!

Wowee!!

>Even for the few American beers that are only available in one state are still as available as your beers. And our states are as big as your country.
Yeah? So why can I go to Total Wine and get enough different Belgian imports to last me a couple of weeks?
>>
>>7298209
Ohhhhh kay, I got confused. This all makes way more sense now.
>>
>>7298231
I don't understand your point. Beers from all over the world are available all over the world. I live in the US and enjoy American beers and Belgian beers that I buy from Total Wine.
>>
>>7298248
It was a reply fail.
>>
The fighting here is crazy. Anyone who has experience with these different styles knows that they taste different and there are amazing beers from every style. Why would I have to choose a side instead of enjoying great American IPA's and imperial stouts while also enjoying tripels and Belgian dark ales? I'll drink both depending on what I'm in the mood for.
>>
>>7297948
I've been drinking this for a bit now and I'm kind of disappointed. It is good but it feels flat and there is no coffee flavor at all. It is good but very sweet. This should not come in any size larger than 12oz because drinking a whole bomber at once would be too much. I enjoyed it though and with a growler I can space it out and drink a few glasses over tonight and tomorrow.
>>
File: IMG_20160122_221138.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160122_221138.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
The snow has begun so time for a big blizzard beer. Founders Imperial Stout, bottled 12/27/13, so so good.

>>7297948
I had this on tap last weekend. Was nice, but pretty hot on the finish.

>>7298154
I love Nugget Nectar, went to Troegs recently for some. Seems fairly different from lasts years, as I remember anyway, but still a great beer.
>>
File: Toppling Goliath Pseudo Sue.jpg (76KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Toppling Goliath Pseudo Sue.jpg
76KB, 640x640px
>>
>>7298689
Is this one of those beers that I can only buy if I go to the brewery?
>>
>>7298721
nope, I've bought it at a random grocery store in Milwaukee
>>
>>7298721
I can get it in minnesota, but it goes fast and there's usually a week or so between deliveries
>>
>>7298012
breh i'm french and we got a lot of you guys belgian beers and even if they are great they are not "the best".

i'm not saying french beer is better, not at all, belgian just isn't some kind of graal
>>
>>7292676

I'm trying Ballast Point Big eye at the moment as my first IPA, it is really nice. I'm definitely going to try more IPA's from now on.
>>
Nice beers you lads are getting into!
I've just had myself a summer ale from the local college brewery and it was passable, Head retention was pretty average and it seemed undercarbonated with too high of a water hardness given the lack of malt depth, but it'd be an easy beer to drink a lot of if it weren't for the hop character building so much. That said, good caramel notes and some subtle dried fruit in there and everything was pretty refreshing except for the hop buildup, but I'm a malt guy so I'm easy to overwhelm with high IBU's and alpha acids.

But hey, it was free so I can't really bitch much; I've had far worse beers; cracking another now for keks.
>>
>>7289085
If you are talking IPA's then there are very few

If you are in the UK (or maybe the US I dunno) look for Jaipur from Thornbridge Brewery. Almost 6% but it's got an amazing balance to it. Doesn't taste like you are drinking cleaning fluid.

Also stay away from Brew Dog, as my dad once told me "It's all fizzy keg shite" and I agree with him.
>>
Why is craft beer so expensive though?
>>
>>7299585
is this a serious question?
>>
>>7299585
because hipsters are willing to pay high prices for drinks they treat as fashion accessories.
>>
>>7299588
Yes. Ingredients for beer are cheap as fuck and it's not very labor intensive to make.
>>
>>7299614
im assuming youre comparing it to macro brews. just like costco, bulk=cheap, so micro=more expensive. and if the micro is good and has good word of mouth the free market comes into play increasing demand therefore increasing price. it's pretty simple economics my bru
>>
>>7299614
Small businesses have less efficient business models, so prices from smaller companies are almost always higher.
Craft beer is a luxury product, people equate higher quality with higher price.
Craft beer tends to use more expensive base products, all malt instead of corn and rice, less efficient malt with more flavour, flavour hops are more expensive than bittering hops, craft beers tend to have more flavour hops.
Even then craft beers aren't that much more expensive than macro brews. You just have to find the right shops. I live near two specialist beer shops, one on average is nearly a pound per bottle dearer than the other. The cheaper one nearly rivals budweiser for pricing though.
>>
>>7299585
A 6 pack of craft beer vs a 6 pack of bud is like 2$ in difference. Sometimes not even that. Some 4 packs just as expensive as the 6 packs but they're also usually 16 oz.
The only real expense are the specialty seasonals like imperial stouts or DIPA
>>
>>7299614
>Yes. Ingredients for beer are cheap as fuck
Craft beer uses way the fuck more ingredients than light beer per volume of beer, plus economies of scale and shit
Also, craft beer usually isn't even very expensive, I mean a small percentage of it, especially west coast stuff is way overpriced, but you can get plenty of excellent beer in the $7.50-$10 six pack range
>>
File: brown.jpg (119KB, 851x632px) Image search: [Google]
brown.jpg
119KB, 851x632px
>>7300081
very true, you don't save any money by brewing your own. It's strictly for fun and being able to make exactly what you want. Pic is some homebrew bourbon barrel brown ale.
>>
>>7300115
How did you get the bourbon barrel?
>>
File: 20160122_200855.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160122_200855.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
old speckled hen. This glass actually did the job well.
>>
File: barrel.jpg (57KB, 438x584px) Image search: [Google]
barrel.jpg
57KB, 438x584px
>>7300230
We had a few Basil Hayden's small barrels that we used at my work to add extra oak flavor to their whiskey in house for specialty drinks. One of the barrels had the steel rings popping off from all the expansion/contraction so I took it home and busted it into slivers. I've got some in one of my sours that's currently aging as well.

The efficiency for small barrels is horrible because so much evaporates, so it's better to add slices to a larger vessel or oak cubes than to fill the mini barrels.
>>
File: pellicle.jpg (45KB, 851x632px) Image search: [Google]
pellicle.jpg
45KB, 851x632px
>>7300230
>>7300312
here's the pellicle now, this was brewed in early September, then re-racked in October which was when we added the oak.
>>
File: basil.jpg (2MB, 4096x3040px) Image search: [Google]
basil.jpg
2MB, 4096x3040px
>>7300312
the flamed inner side
>>
File: creaturecomforts.jpg (128KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
creaturecomforts.jpg
128KB, 1920x1080px
>Non-Georgians will never experience this
>>
File: file.png (380KB, 476x483px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
380KB, 476x483px
>>7300319

NO no they will not. But life/death is better. I don't get the Tropicalia hype. It's very good but why are people looking so hard for it when Orpheus has two better IPAs?
>>
>>7300115
i saw you in the ATF thread
>>
File: IMG_20160123_132513.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160123_132513.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
A break from shoveling calls for a nice warming beer. A year of aging has really brought the malt forward on this.
>>
who else was at the SF beer week opening gala last night? just getting home... there sure were some incredible beers poured there.
>>
File: 4217776341_cb8ddaa9de.jpg (94KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
4217776341_cb8ddaa9de.jpg
94KB, 333x500px
hey cu/ck/s,
I'm from /pol/

>what are you drinking tonight, anon?

pic related is what I'm drinking.
It's Hofbräu München, brewed directly at the site of the formation of the Nazi party.

I'm certain each one of you beta cucks are drinking the same hipster meme IPA faggot ale the jew media tells you to buy
>>
>>7300334
It's extremely unique and very easy to drink. I think that really anyone would like Tropicalia, straight out of the can the beer is fantastic.

I will definitely try why you mentioned though.
>>
File: giggling.png (490KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
giggling.png
490KB, 449x401px
>>7300337
>he has to call his barleywine "barleywine-style ale"
>>
>>7300373

There's some kind of legal shit behind it I'm sure.
>>
>>7300346
true Aryan beer or not,
HB is pretty mediocre
>>
>>7300437
Yes, the product being produced with too many cost-cutting substitutions and shortcuts to be legally worthy of the actual name.

But you probably forgive him because he swears it's all totally free-trade and bespoke and shit, and that The Man set the definition of barleywine up so that it includes the big producers, but not the traditional stuff.
>>
>>7300449
what are you even talking about?
>>
>>7300337
Bigfoot is great. Very hoppy and enjoyable fresh too.

>>7300373
Shitty American laws. Bigfoot is very different than an English Barelywine though so it's ok to distinguish them.
>>
>>7300314
Looks yeasty
Didn't know they looked so alive when they were at this stage.
>>
>>7300449
Well no, much more likely it is due to a TTB ruling to do with the use of the term "wine" in the name of a beer. I've noticed that every barleywine I've seen from the US seems to have "style" in there somewhere.
>>
>>7300449
You have no idea what you're talking about. Your hatred of the USA is blinding you to great beer. Sierra Nevada is a big brand, they are not yuppie hipsters. The government won't allow the name "barleywine" though without "ale" included though because ignorant people will think it is grape wine.
>>
>>7294268
The brown shugga substitute is better IMO
>>
File: cake.jpg (141KB, 851x632px) Image search: [Google]
cake.jpg
141KB, 851x632px
>>7300481
it's settled down a bit since that picture. It's funny because there's very little yeast involved, the pellicle is a result of the bacteria. Actually, the yeast cake/trub was removed and re-cultured when it was racked into the glass carboy. We mixed that yeast cake with the yeast cake from our Flemish Red sour, so it's just a slew of lacto and pediococcus, etc.

You can see that culture in the small 1 gallon container.
>>
>>7300471
>Shitty American laws
Is it a law pushed through by the wine industry or something, I have never heard such a thing, or never noticed whether this was a normal way to label such products
>>
>>7300471
>Shitty American laws
Maybe its just a California thing, they have all sorts of extra bad laws there as it has been run by hollywood liberals for so long
>>
>>7300529
I wish I had a permanent living situation so I could expand my brewing operations. Plus glass carboys look so much nicer than cheap plastic.
>>
File: download.jpg (9KB, 193x262px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 193x262px
I got two four-packs of Duchesse de Bourgogne for $3.96 USD yesterday. They marked them down because they bottles said "Best by 3.05.2014"
>>
>>7300573
Lucky sonofabitch...
>>
File: image.jpg (104KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104KB, 750x1334px
I just had this last night and absolutely loved it. I'm just getting into craft beer, until now the fanciest thing I would drink on a semi-regular basis is assorted Sam Adams, and random ones I'd pick out from the health food store just because they were above 15% or had a cool bottle. I'm just turning 21, so until now I've just been drinking whatever my friends happen to pick up, or drinking from a few really old bottles of whiskey and bourbon my grandpa gave to me when drinking alone, and only getting the chance to try anything new the few times I happened to go grocery shopping with someone over 21. Recommend me some good starting beers. I've enjoyed most of everything I've ever tried, only thing I've had a bit of a distaste for before was an extremely hoppy beer.
>>
>>7300949
what state?
Definitely try some Founders breakfast stout
>>
Sierra Nevada Otra Vez is so good

>>7300949
Most Founder's stuff is good. If you liked that Scotch ale then you can try Old Chub Scotch ale or try some "old ales" or barleywines.
>>
Unibroue Grande Reserve 17. Everything else is Gran's fetid pussy discharge.
>>
anyone here tried barrel aging?
for the barrels, is it bad to get them used?
I assume they have a fairly limited lifespan
>>
>>7301010
Unibroue is top fucking notch. Terrible is my favorite brew from them
>>
Finally stumbled on a 6 pack of this stuff
Made with some newly discovered hop variety that some guy just found growing in the woods behind his house or something
Would buy again
>>
File: Pearl Street Linalool.jpg (197KB, 1145x1195px) Image search: [Google]
Pearl Street Linalool.jpg
197KB, 1145x1195px
>>7301596
forgot picture
>>
File: 20160123_160726.jpg (236KB, 1004x836px) Image search: [Google]
20160123_160726.jpg
236KB, 1004x836px
Tonight's menu. Pucker night.
>>
>>7301658
Eh, shitty pic, sorry.

Elysian - Pineapple Habanero Sour (not expecting anything great)
Goose Island - Lolita wild ale fermented in wine barrels with raspberries
Almanac - Hoppy Sour Mandarina dry-hopped sour blonde aged in wine barrels
Crooked Stave - Origins "burgandy" sour aged in oak barrels
>>
>>7301658
Fancy brews. I've seen those small Almanac bottles show up at stores near me recently. Are they generally good? Looks like most are sours and I haven't heard much about the brewery before.
>>
>>7301687
Is lolita worth the 17$? Not the biggest fan of sours, but I can easily appreciate a good one
>>
I don't think I can taste any difference at all between normal Enjoy By and the current Enjoy By Unfiltered. It looks cool and might have a stronger smell but it's nothing crazy. I wish I could have gotten the black IPA to compare too.
>>
>>7298689
Just opened another one of these. This beer is just so fucking delicious.
>>
File: 20160123_181321.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160123_181321.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
First time trying this, I enjoy that you can get a good ale that leans towards hops without getting bashed over the head with them like a lot of the West Coast IPAs that are popular right now.
>>
>>7302428
fucking 4chan ruining the auto-rotate
>>
>>7293676
And what exactly were those beers then? The best-selling light macro lager from each country?
>>
File: HenryWeinhards_BlueBoar_logo1.jpg (100KB, 580x386px) Image search: [Google]
HenryWeinhards_BlueBoar_logo1.jpg
100KB, 580x386px
Normally I would get something more sophisticated, but I needed quantity over quality tonight. Cheers, 7 beers into the 12 pack. Still have a couple of shots of Jim Beam in the fridge.
>>
>>7300949
Sierra Nevada mix pack.
>>
File: DSC_0979.jpg (739KB, 1196x1800px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0979.jpg
739KB, 1196x1800px
Homebrewed bock with rye and a little chocolate malt. Turned out really nicely. Maybe my favorite homebrew so far.
>>
Hey, OP, me, too!

Not really sure why this is the first time. Total Wine had a four pack of it for $7.30, though, so that was an easy buy.

What temperature should I drink this at? I had straight out of the fridge, which I should no better than to do with stouts, but I've been drinking a lot of milk stouts lately and kind of forgot.

The result was the alcohol being not masked at all, and the coffee tasting only bitter without the roasty depth I expect. Chocolate was clearly present, but not in my face. There was also no frothiness at all to it.

Basically, exactly not how this beer is described, and I'm assuming it's because I drank it too cold. But, still good, and I have three more cracks at it.
>>
File: fbs.jpg (65KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
fbs.jpg
65KB, 640x640px
>>7304254
Forgot the pic. This meme glass is legit, btw.
>>
>>7304254
$7.30 is an amazing price for FBS. I've never seen it below $10/4-pack so I wonder if yours is from last year or something.

You should drink it at cellar or room temperature and it'll be much better. The thing about FBS that's different than outher stouts like imperial stouts is that you do want to keep it in the fridge. The coffee flavor will fade if you age it and the cold of a fridge will delay that. The beer still tastes better when warmed up though so if possible I'd recommend pouring a glass of it ~15 minutes before you intend to drink it and give it a chance to warm up. I don't keep most of my stouts in a fridge at all and just leave them in a dark part of the basement where they are always at a cool temperature and ready to drink. Big fan of FBS, cheers.
>>
>>7304259
why is it a meme glass
>>
File: 20160124_170729-1.jpg (3MB, 2626x1904px) Image search: [Google]
20160124_170729-1.jpg
3MB, 2626x1904px
Went to walgreens not planning on buying beer but they had this in the cooler and it was the last one
>>
>>7304678
since when does Walgreen sell beer
>>
>>7304690
They do in California last time I was there.
>>
>>7304678
Nice. I'm still on the hunt for Hopslam in Pennsylvania or Delaware.
>>
>>7304690
Since always?
>>
>>7304518
Bottled 9/15/15, so not super fresh.
>>
>>7304690
>>7304836
weird
must be a CA thing, I'm in MA and I've never seen beer in a Walgreens
>>
File: IMG_20160124_173114.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160124_173114.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
2014 Three Philosophers, not my favorite quad, not much flavor to start with then finishes very bitter. Still after all this time aging pretty boozy too.
>>
>>7304678
I didn't even know hopslam came out. Surly Abrasive is still around so I'll just buy that instead. I think it's year round now
>>
>>7304878
I got the box set of Three Philosophers as a Christmas gift with 2011, 2012, and 2013 bottles but have only drank it fresh in the past. I agree with you about it mostly; it is good but a bit bland and St Bernardus Abt 12 is better. I can't really notice the 2% Kriek that is in Four Philosophers but love the Kriek on its own.
>>
>>7304919
I notice the cherry in the smell a bit but yeah definitely not noticeable in the taste. Night and day with the St. Bernardus 12 for sure, the Bernie is one of the best beers I've ever had, especially with some age on it.
>>
>>7304868
I don't live in California. But I can by beer in Walgreens in Washington, Florida, and New Mexico.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Tonight I'm trying the famed La Fin Du Monde for the first time.
>>
File: black beer.png (136KB, 209x392px) Image search: [Google]
black beer.png
136KB, 209x392px
Was drinking this over the weekend, man is it sweet when you first start drinking but it mellows out and becomes super drinkable.
>>
>>7304678
Great for 9.99. It's everywhere near me. The local beer store, the walgreens in the same strip, all the Binny's. Everywhere.

Damn Chicago is a great place for beer.

Got 6 different 3 Floyds bombers today. They're all pretty good, but I don't understand why they demand such a high price. I bought them with buddies. We got the cannibal corpse one, the blood whatever, and a few others including the admiral.

All just ok or pretty good.

Pipeworks does it better tbhonest with you.
>>
>>7305368
Oh, and right now I'm sipping on Victory at Sea before going for a walk while X-Files records. My buddies are getting over at 9:30 or so after watching the SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS that I don't give a fuck about. X-Files 3Floyds party oh yes.

Victory at Sea has everything I want from a stout, and you can get it anywhere and everywhere. It's basically a vanilla coffee beer that hides its 10% abv incredibly well. It's labelled as a porter, but it is most definitely not. It's a stout in everything but name. Great texture/thickness. Perfect to sip on while writing up lab reports and reading up on chemistry articles. Munching on Haribo gummy bears, drinking nice beer to get ready for a walk to burn em off. Oh life you so sweet.
>>
>>7305392
3 Floyds is unobtainable unless you're local so that is part of it. These local places get overly hyped in general. The brewery near me that is starting to get national attention makes delicious beer but from what I see online it is clear that people are building it up to be more than it is. Maybe I'm just tempted to believe that all the super hyped and hip breweries are like this to make myself feel better though. Did you have the peppermint Victory at Sea? I really liked it and it managed to be very tasteful by keeping the mint flavor mild and not in-your-face.

>>7305285
Been drinking this for a bit now and my impressions are that it is has extreme carbonation and the strongest banana scent of any Belgian I've drank yet. I've heard the descriptor used for this style many times but now I really smell it.
>>
>>
>>7305495
I keep seeing the peppermint VaS at my local shops for decent prices, but I don't know if I'd really like a peppermint beer. Especially since I can get regular VaS for 13.99 while the bomber is 7.99.

Oh! Speaking of stouts, I recently had Stone Xocoveza. It's delicious. It's a chocolate milk stout with spices as a fantastic undertone. The flavour and texture are spot on and make for a dangerously drinkable beer at 8.1%, just like VaS. You really have to pick it up if you like stouts in general.

Side note; I hate banana flavours in my beer. can't stand it. I don't want to drink anything that reminds me of bananas. Makes belgians difficult for me to get into. I like Delirium Tremens, but that's because you can get the cans at any bar for a decent amount of cash. I hate feeling like a pleb whenever I try other belgian ales since so many of them have these funky banana flavours that make me gag. Got any recommendations?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Drinking this. It's as good as I imagined it would be. $9 a four pack isn't half bad.

>>7285875
But KBS was good too. :^(
>>
>>7305545
Damn you get it for 9? Is KBS already out? I totally missed it if so. My local store typically gets things a few months late for whatever reason, and they upcharge it a bit, but I've gotten Surly Darkness there and Dinosmoars from Off Color there for 44 total with tax. Dinosmoars if fucking amazing. It's so damn good. If you can ever get your hands on Off Colors darker beers please just do it. They're absolutely amazing.
>>
>>7305368
2 Floyds is really ridiculous pricewise

I am glad Pseudo Sue has become easy to find so I don't have to worry about Zombie Dust anymore
>>
>>7305554
KBS usually isn't until march/april
>>
>>7305539
The banana flavor is strongest in tripels. You won't find it in most dubbels, quads, or saisons and they're all Belgians too. I can understand disliking the style though. Personally I really enjoy the tripels I have drank but haven't had any dubel that I loved. They taste too sweet to me and I like a drier beer.

I'm always on the lookout for Xocoveza because it sounds delicious but I'm in Pennsylvania and have never seen it here. It has shipped here but stores sold out immediately.
>>
>>7305554
No, couldn't get it. Had it on tap at a local burger place. It was nice. Definitely gonna get it once it shows up! Haven't had any of those but I've heard they're good!
>>
>>7305539
I saw that Xocoveza last time I was at the grocery store, looked interesting but was incredibly overpriced at $11.99 for a bomber. Hard to justify that price point when you can get a six-pack of anything else for that much.
>>
>>7305554
KBS hasn't been released yet, don't worry. KBS and Weyerbacher Sunday Morning Stout are the two beers I'm watching for most closely. I've got one more bottle of Weyerbacher's Heresy but that's my last 12oz barrel aged stout and I want to stock up for 2016. Committing to a whole bomber of BBA stout is not something that my wallet or stomach can always afford.
>>
>>7287716
Iki is god-tier but harder to find than unicorn farts.
>>
File: image.jpg (317KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
317KB, 1500x1500px
>>7305577
Aren't the bombers the bourbon barrel aged version? Stone's bombers are always overpriced but at least in this case it's a slightly different product, I think.

I paid $10 for a bomber of the current Enjoy By and it was great beer but I regretted it as soon as I left the store. For that price I should have gotten something more exotic or barrel aged.
>>
>>7305593
iki is not even sold/brewed in Japan. It's just euro weebs
>>
>>7305558
Yeah, 13.99 for a six pack got old quickly. My local shops always have one saved for me since I visit them biweekly and don't act like an asshole/talk with them about what they like and appreciate how obscenely friendly they are. Zombie Dust just aint worth it when other, more local breweries produce incredible IPAs that are always available for cheaper. Still enjoy their Gumballhead more than anything else I've tried. No wait, their collabs with other breweries are much better. I have an empty bottle of Anicca, the one with the naked lady dragon label, where they collabed with my favourite local brewery, Half Acre. Three Floyds plus Half Acre was a godsend of an IPA. Beyond fucking delicious. Even put my Buddha beads I got in china around the bottle for a double blast of memories.

In the Summer, if you can, please do yourself a favour and get Vallejo. It is the best IPA I've ever had out of a simple 4pack. I'm so damn lucky to be able to visit their brewery, since they only put out 4 or so beers for sale while their brewery has a dozen rotating beers on tap. Half Acre is one of those local breweries that deserves every ounce of praise they get.
>>
>>7305594
I wish more breweries would just do the 4 pack model for their limited release beers
>>
>>7305603
I didn't know that, muh bad.

It's still damn good and extremely hard to find.
>>
>>7305604
I'm in Milwaukee, so no Half Acre here, but i'll keep an eye out next time I'm down there. I usually stop at a craft beer store in Libertyville on my way back whenever I go to Chicago and load up on stuff they don't sell in Wisconsin
>>
>>7305577
The 6pack is what I got at 14.99, which is similar to the better Ballast Point offerings, so I wasn't too offended. They say on the bottle that they're planning a wider release. Hopefully you'll see the six pack soon. My guy at Binny's got it outta the back for me when I asked for a recommendation and dropped the names of other stouts he liked. It is chocolate milk in a bottle, but if you want a different, more dark kind of stout for the same price just go for Victory at Sea.
>>
>>7305581
>>7305562
Thanks guys. I'mma still look forward to it then.

After living through the barrel aged Goose Island rush I feel like I can get my hands on anything.
>>
File: image.jpg (247KB, 1000x1019px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
247KB, 1000x1019px
>>7305605
Absolutely. I love trying more interesting beers and beers that I can keep in the cellar indefinitely but bombers are always expensive.

This is something I love about Weyerbacher. Their bourbon barrel aged barleywine is out in 4-packs now for $15. That's the same price I'd probably pay for a bomber of the same style from most breweries and it really encourages me to buy a couple packs and keep them around until next year. Not to mention that the bombers of heavy heavy beers almost demand to be shared. 12oz is a better serving size.
>>
>>7305623
I've been able to get 1 or 2 bottles of KBS each of the last few years. Just have to check with your store what day it is released as the day approaches (different stores will get the shipment on different days) as it probably won't last more than a day
>>
>>7305617
Planning on moving there for school, so that's some disappointing news. Still, you'll definitely be doing right by yourself by picking up some Vallejo or visiting their brewery if you get the chance.
>>
File: central waters bb barleywine.jpg (34KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
central waters bb barleywine.jpg
34KB, 320x320px
>>7305634
This is probably the best Barleywine I have tried and they sell it for about $13/4pack
I am hoping they still have some around next time I go to the store
>>
>>7305641
Milwaukee does have an amazing beer selection, so no need to despair too much
>>
File: 20160124_220523.jpg (828KB, 2240x1344px) Image search: [Google]
20160124_220523.jpg
828KB, 2240x1344px
Hey motha fucks
>>
>>7305674
The dog fish is a 12% beer and will fuck you up. My favorite is hard to say, I really like the sam adams cream stout, hate on sam but its a damn good porter. So is that old rasputin and trois pistoles. God damn, I love all these beer, guess thats why I put them in front
>>
>>7305674
Nice shelf

>>7305644
Never heard of this one but I'll keep an eye out. The stores have bottles of barrel aged Bigfoot now but they're $21 for a bomber and it feels like such a ripoff. Normal Bigfoot is only about $9-10 for a 4-pack.
>>
>>7305697
Not sure how far out of Wisconsin Central Waters gets, but they have a bunch of barrel aged 4 packs the release and they are all excellent
>>
>>7292732
>Jai Alai
My nigga. Can only, on tap it tastes too metallic. Its not as good I promise.
>>
>>7305392
Watch out with your X Files recording. It just started now (25 minutes late) because of how long the panthers/cardinals game went. Better set the next show to record too or you may miss the end.
>>
>>7305734
Thanks for the concern! If there's anything good about this Xfinity bullshit is that it auto records as things air. Got it all.

On that note, 3 Floyds doesn't disappoint with its bombers, but they're never that great. Chicago wise, pipeworks does everything they do but better. Maybe it's freshness plus price, but 3 Floyds almost never seems worth it unless they're teaming up with a brewery you know and love.
>>
>>7305934
Also I guess I set up the recording to record thirty minutes after the show aired lol. Got it anyway.
>>
>>7305934
Cool, just wanted to give you a warning as I was watching the show live and posting here on commericals. See you in the next thread after this one dies soon.
>>
File: BARBARY_COAST_HI1-390x1024.jpg (57KB, 390x1024px) Image search: [Google]
BARBARY_COAST_HI1-390x1024.jpg
57KB, 390x1024px
>>7301778
They do other styles. Just had a 1/4 barrel of their IPA on tap. Pretty smooth. More American IPA than West Coast IPA.
Got pic related in the other day, but haven't tried it yet. Sounds pretty good though.
I've had a few of their Farm to Barrel series. The pluot is great, and the strawberry is good. The fresh hop sour last night was really interesting. Really floral, mixed with the sour... I'm going to recommend it to people for sure.

>>7301870
My 3rd bottle and I paid $20ea. It's a 750ml, so I don't think the price is way out there especially considering it has fruit added. Also, it's a 750ml, so if you're not a big fan of sours that is a lot of sour to drink. Maybe get a bottle and take it to a dinner party or something. I'm aging one to see how it goes.
>>
>>7305392
Ballast can do no wrong.
>>
>>7306096
Sounds good. I'll grab one of these Farm to Barrel ones this week and give it a shot.

>>7306100
Their pricing is pretty wrong.
>>
>>7305594
>>7305605
The Xocoveza was sold in six packs.
That "bomber" (it's 750ml) is the same batch aged in oak for 6 months. It should be in the $20 range. Didn't get great reviews on beer advocate. FWIW
>>
>>7306105
Was just looking at their site. They have over 30 in the Farm to Barrel series. wow. Going to see about getting more in the store.
And yeah, I guess I could said "everything is premium... including the price!".
>>
File: wake up dead.jpg (63KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
wake up dead.jpg
63KB, 640x640px
First time I've ever had a nitro imperial stout. It's a nice touch.

Also, this shit's pretty complex. Just a little too strong of a licorice note to be perfect.

Alcohol is also pretty potent, even at near-room temperature. I'll drink my whiskey now and then, so it doesn't stop me from enjoying it, but it's not what I look for in beer.
>>
>>7305674
I've had almost all of that first row. I find that surprising, since I'm still a relative n00b.
>>
>>7305554
I posted this above, but I got a four pack this weekend for $7.30.
>>
>>7305545
>shaker pint
Dude, improve your glassware!

At least you're better than my friend who just turned 21, and refuses to believe me that she's hurting her experience by drinking out of the bottle.
>>
>>7304878
Meanwhile, it's my favorite quad, and I find the fruit notes to be fantastic.
>>
File: 1451421919476.jpg (138KB, 1002x960px) Image search: [Google]
1451421919476.jpg
138KB, 1002x960px
>be me, redneck white trash living in Alabama
>sitting in on my bed, bathroom just a door away
>been brewing some grade A country wine in my bathtub
>about to go to bed
>say my lord's prayer until suddenly hear rustles
>noises coming from porch of trailer
>fucking raccoons
>grab shotgun from off wall and haul ass
>kick door open
>bout to blow this fucker's brains out
>no raccoon to be seen
>glass breaking
> run back into my bed room
>window busted open
>check everything
>check bathroom
>no fucking wine
>mfw

That was a week or two ago.
Keep in mine, I was brewin that shit for 6 months. Without baths. And I was planning two more months. That wine would have been ripe and ready for my cousins visit back down here from Kentucky.
>>
>>7306339
don't tell anyone about your wine next time
>>
File: disgust[1].jpg (46KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
disgust[1].jpg
46KB, 620x400px
>>7306209
>
sperging about using a pint glass is too far.
>>
>>7294664
if ur in america
>>
>>7286200
Tried the ruby one and was disappointed same as you. They sell well where i work so i was tempted.
>>
>>7287908
Hachiko Nest is really nice as is their coffee stout (i think it was stout, not porter).
>>
>>7289085
>>7299582
Agree about Brew Dog. Pretentious arsehole brewery too, just making meme beers.
Thread posts: 338
Thread images: 77

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.