[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the difference between olive oil and extra virgin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: Olive_Oyl.png (153KB, 270x579px) Image search: [Google]
Olive_Oyl.png
153KB, 270x579px
What's the difference between olive oil and extra virgin olive oil?

If a recipe calls for olive oil, can I substitute extra virgin olive oil?
>>
>>7262708
You can pretty much substitute any fat for any other fat.
>>
>>7262708
Extra virgin means the grapes matured longer I think
>>
extra virgin is unrefined olive oil.
>>
>>7262723
and typically a better grade of olive oil with more olive flavor.
>>
>>7262730

Typically also fake if it's a non niche/professional brand.
>>
These people know fuck-all, evoo is olive oil made from the first press of the olives.
>>
>>7262711
>olive oil
>grapes
>>
>>7262708
Way lower smoke point on extra virgin. Only an issue if heating your oils, however.
>>
Thread is right on - they're just processed differently.

Extra-virgin has a stronger taste and a lower smoke point, it's used raw as a condiment or as part of a dressing.
Ordinary O.O. has a higher smoke point, so it's what you use when you want to cook something in/containing olive oil.
>>
>>7262708
Extra Virgin Olive Oil has a stronger taste. It should not be heated
Olive Oil has the olive taste but can be heated
>>
>>7262753
>any year
>not buying California Olive Ranch

I just fried up some salmon patties in their rich and robust. Shit is versatile as shit, and ATK agrees that it's the best super market brand on the market.
>>
>>7262708

No one ever hit on it; never went to the prom.
>>
>>7262708
>What's the difference between olive oil and extra virgin olive oil
The latter wasn't fisted by Popeye.
>>
>>7262771
>Ordinary O.O. has a higher smoke point, so it's what you use when you want to cook something in/containing olive oil.
I get it now. Thanks.
>>
>>7262708
EVOO should be used mostly as a finishing oil. Not for high heat applications. Put it on bread or drizzle on soups to add some fat and flavor at the end.

If you're going to saute, you'll probably want to use a light (more refined) olive oil, as it can handle a much higher temperature without burning, due to its lack of impurities.
>>
>>7262810

>california olive ranch

Saveur shills need to go.
>>
>>7262708
Extra Virgin means it is from the first pressing of the olives. It is a more pure oil and has a lower acidity. there are rules for the labeling of it that include not heating the olives to extract the oil.

Olive oil is then the second pressing on. heat is applied to force more oil out, and has a lower smoke point.
>>
>>7264901
>It is a more pure oil

You've got that backwards, anon. Extra-virgin is a LESS pure oil because it contains many of the other flavorful components of the olive other than just the oil. That's why it has a fruity flavor and a low smoke point--the things that give it that flavor burn before the oil itself does.

"Light" olive oil is refined to purify it, that's why it has a very mild taste and a high smoke point.
>>
Look it up you stupid fuck
>>
>>7262708
raw extra virgin olive oil is better
>>
>Any year
>Not being Spanish anb buying top tier oil for extra cheap.
>Not making oil with your own olives.

How can you live like this?
>>
>>7262708
Why do people make threads just asking a question they could easily google? I want reddit to leave.
>>
>>7266964
>Why do people make threads just asking a question they could easily google?

I don't know. Why don't you google it?
>>
>>7266987
BTFO
>>
>>7262708
Popeye's cock.
>>
>>7268268
underrated roast
>>
refined olive oil is for your bicycle
extra vergine olive oil is for your salad
>>
>>7262708

In most cases extra virgin is simply a way to make more money from idiots.
>>
>>7270333

Or if that wasn't clear: what you buy as 'Extra Virgin' is normally bullshit. It might not even be fucking pure olive oil if the mafia have had a hand in it either.

Unless a recipe calls for it use the normal stuff and be done with it.
>>
File: 1420206946628.jpg (97KB, 562x560px) Image search: [Google]
1420206946628.jpg
97KB, 562x560px
EVOO is for salads
Normal olive oil is for cooking

Basically, EVOO has a strong(er) olive flavor. You use it in dishes where that's important. Due to the difference in price you normally wouldn't want to 'waste' EVOO by using it for cooking, that destroys a lot of the flavor, so most people use normal olive oil for their pans.
>>
>>7262708
Olive oil should be renamed snake oil. It's tampered with and racketed more than any other food product.
>>
>>7270348
*citation needed
>>
>>7270358

Google it. I know it sounds like some silly movie but the mafia really is involved with counterfeiting and adulterating olive oil production in Italy.
>>
>>7270358

Ever heard of google?

It's big business in Italy to fuck with olive oil.
>>
>>7262708
One of them browses /r9k/
>>
>>7270436
Don't buy Italian olive oil.
Pretty simple really.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.