[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guests want Sauerkraut for New Years, but I don't really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: Sauerkraut-in-bowl-010.jpg (21KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
Sauerkraut-in-bowl-010.jpg
21KB, 460x276px
Guests want Sauerkraut for New Years, but I don't really like it and I don't know what to do with it besides eating it raw. Should I ferment my own? Do I have enough time? Pls help me, /ck/, you're my only hope.
>>
>Guests want Sauerkraut for New Years, but I don't really like it and I don't know what to do with it besides eating it raw.
Shred some onion and carrot (or beetroot) and sauté the three together in 2:1:1 ratio in either bacon grease or butter, caraway optional. Sauerkraut balls/dumplings are also nice as are sauerkraut pancakes.
>Should I ferment my own? Do I have enough time?
Yes but no, in that order. Make some yourself some time, but since it takes at least ten days (and often as much as double that), you're better off going storebought this time. If you live in the US, go to Aldi and get the sauerkraut in the jar with the blue label. It's good. Canned sauerkraut should generally be avoided.

Also, what's this about kraut for NYE? Is it some tradition I'm unaware of?
>>
>>7203798
Thanks, bruh.
>>
Definitely put caraway seeds in it, improves the taste 100%
>>
>>7203798
>>7203819
Going to store now for chili stuff and sauerkraut stuff. Any specific measurements for the butter and caraway seeds or can I just wing it?
>>
Can I freeze shredded cabbage first to help break it down and release liquid before making sauerkraut? It shouldn't affect the yeast on the cabbage, but will it have a bad texture or something?
>>
File: Kassler.jpg (553KB, 2288x1712px) Image search: [Google]
Kassler.jpg
553KB, 2288x1712px
I ate Kassler on the 24th. It tastes good and is easy to make.
>>
>>7203798
>Also, what's this about kraut for NYE? Is it some tradition I'm unaware of?
American here with German (Pennsylvania Dutch) roots. My family always had roast pork and sauerkraut at New Year's. Just like Southerners eating Hoppin' John and Italians eating lentils it's supposed to bring good luck/prosperity for the new year. I would guess it's a thing in some parts of Germany, too.
>>
>>7203847
>muh heritage
62% and falling, don't you forget it.
>>
>>7203847
Cool, thanks.

>>7203865
Don't be a twat about it. I like seeing how some customs change as they travel (or stay the same, in some cases).

>>7203831
Can't help ya there, sorry. I don't generally measure when I cook, but let's say you're gonna use 500g of saurkraut and 250g each onion and carrot... then about 100g of butter (or 60g of bacon grease), I would guess. I always add spices to taste.
>>
>>7203782
Guests can suck it. They'e guests and will have whatever you are gracious enough to serve them.
>>
>>7203891
Quick search brought me to this:

"Throughout history, the lowly cabbage has played side dish to the pig on New Year's Day, not because it bears a special significance, but because it's a tasty complement to pork. "It's a traditional combination," said William Weaver, an internationally known food historian who lives in Chester County. Any Pennsylvania German worth his or her salt knows pork is served on New Year's Day because it brings good luck. With their snouts, pigs root forward, signifying progress, lore dictates, whereas chickens and turkeys scratch backward."
---"Eat 'sour cabbage' for a sweet year; Having sauerkraut on New Year's Day brings luck, some say," Kathleen Parrish, Morning Call [Allentown:PA], January 1, 2004 (p. A1)
>>
>>7203909
Agreed.

>>7203782
OP should tell the "guests" that if they want kraut so much they should have the courtesy to bring it themselves. If that's not an option, just get store bought.

For the leftovers, make Reubens, put it on sausages, put it on hot dogs.
>>
My croation granda ma always made a big pot that has saurkraut, sausages, pork ribs, potato, and bacon. Really simple peasant farmer style cooking, but so damn good.

If you rinse your cabbage yoi can get rid of the funky taste a fair bit.
>>
>>7203782
Make Reuben Sandwiches.

Saute onions in butter and add sauerkraut and caraway seeds. Toast rye bread and add russian style dressing or sweet and spicy mustard. Add Pastrami, provolone cheese and sauerkraut mix and broil till cheese is melted

WA LA
>>
>>7203782
bigos
>>
>>7203782
Maybe make coleslaw out of leftovers to eat with some fish n chips?
>>
Just buy it in bag, drain it, grate onion and apple into it and throw some caraway seed in there. Sautee it in animal fat, add a little wine.
>>
>>7204375
This, wash it very well or it'll taste sour as fuck.
>>
>>7204500
>taking the sauer out of sauerkraut
Get. The fuck. Out. And never come back.
>>
>>7204511
Theres nothing wrong with toning it down to make it more palatable for everyone. It will still be sour, just not as pungent.
>>
>>7204511
seconding this
washing yo kraut is a crime against cabbage
>>
>>7204532
there's plenty wrong with toning it down, folk who ask for kraut want sauerkraut, and will be dissapointed if you "tone it down" stop being a bitch and serve it properly
>>
File: absolutely disgusting.jpg (17KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
absolutely disgusting.jpg
17KB, 240x320px
>>7204532
Actual German here, toning down the sauer and it's not sauerkraut.
Local stores have 'Mild' and it's like eating puke.

Proper sauerkraut is eaten raw, with pork bits mixed in, a tasty sausage, and some pepper seeds.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.