[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, I just found out that my dad goes through a fry pan a year

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

Hey, I just found out that my dad goes through a fry pan a year because he buys the cheapest one he can find at Wal-Mart. I was thinking of getting him one that would last a bit longer the next time I see him, as sort of a late Christmas gift.

8 inches, non-stick, 50 or 60 dollars at most. What would you recommend?
>>
Your dad has the right idea. If hes using non stick cookware, the coating is going to wear out no matter what you spend on the pan. The only thing you should really look for in a teflon pan is a thick enough bottom. Expect to throw it out or teach him to use real pans.
>>
>>7197269
What do you mean by real pan?
>>
If your dad can't make a cheap teflon last longer than a year he obviously doesn't give a shit about, or know how to, take care of his kitchen equipment.

Don't bother buying him something nice when you're only going to see it fucked over the next time you go to visit.
>>
Lodge cast iron skillet. Mine is non stick enough to eggs easily. $20 for 12" dia. on amazon. and will literally outlast his and your life.

or

Some stainless steel skillet. At least the teflon won't flake off of a cheapo stainless.
>>
>>7197529
I agree with this anon. Nothing against your dad, but if he's anything like most dads he is not going to change his ways at this stage of his life and likely won't be able to appreciate a good pan. Get him something else
>>
Cast.
Fucking.
Iron.

Destroy THAT, dad.
>>
>>7198594
>puts it in dishwasher to clean
>>
>>7197260
If it only lasts a year, chances are he's abusing the fuck out of it by using metal utensils on it to scratch out the coating and probably just throwing a hot pan into cold water in the sink causing it to warp and sticking it in the dishwasher to wash it.

Don't bother buying anything nice since he'll probably just continue to treat it like shit and destroy it.

Just buy more cheap crap, he clearly won't know the difference anyway.
>>
>>7197545
>Mine is non stick enough to eggs easily.

I see people mention this often. But, just to clarify, we are talking about with butter, lard, or some other animal/vegetable fat, right?
>>
>>7197260
The better option is to get him five cheap frying pans. They'll last him five years.
>>
>>7198635
better get ceramic coated, then
>>
>>7199019
not the anon you were replying to but mine is non stick even if I just use oil
butter works like a charm and they slide around easier than on some coated pans
the only thing is that you might get some of the iron leeching onto the eggs which turns them a little grey on the bottom which is why I only use it for meat/onions/etc
>>
The T-fal pro wins America's Test Kitchen best nonstick pan over and over again. And, its like $35.
>>
>>7198635
Honestly, this. Dad's wife never understood the concept behind cast iron.
Even so, the cookware is pretty much Indestructible, just teach your dad to season the surface and wipe it clean.
>>
>>7197260
Never buy anyone anything nice for christmas unless they are also a hobbyist and understand it's true value. Time and time again I buy nice things for my family and they fuck it up through improper use because they were not already interested in it's proper usage and handling.
>>
>>7200548

I'd rather teach my dad to use a fucking smartphone and get him a Facebook
>>
>>7199620
I have a T-fal set and it works great.
>>
>>7199620
This
I've had mine for years, same for my mom.
>>
>>7199019
>I see people mention this often. But, just to clarify, we are talking about with butter, lard, or some other animal/vegetable fat, right?
Forget it. Your dad doesn't want that. He wants a non-fussy, no fat or whatever fat he wants to make, and wipe out with a papertowel level cleanup. He doesn't want to deglaze it to clean it, or lug a heavy as shit pan to the sink, and only after it's cooled.

Old people want no fuss. And, when they DO want cast iron, it's for cornbread or a pan-frying some okra or green tomatoes or chicken. Get er done.

OP, go to Marshalls/TJMaxx or Macys sale plus in-store coupon. Fact. Best prices on major brands this way. Get a really thick bottomed nice nonstick, since you don't care about matching a set or anything, you'll find tons of 8in pans in the price range of cheap ones, but they should be good for 5+ years. Buy him 2 pans, a 8 and a 10in. The thick heavybottomed pans resist warping and scorching best, and that is what makes the nonstick last, not the quality of the nonstick. Almost all brands now say you can even use metal utensils in them, that the coating is that durable (so long as the bottom is nice and thick) but to complete a gift, go ahead and buy a lovely wooden spoon, silicon scraper spoon, and spatula set. Should help it last. Calphalon is making some superthick ones, got a wok-shaped one with skillet lid that is pretty versatile and impressed with it last 2 years. It was $15 for a 4qt at Marshalls. Odd shapes and small ones are where the really nice deals are to be found!
>>
>>7199620
Get the one with the lid and deeper sides instead. Pic related.
It's only $15 on sale at Target or $20 regularly.

Lid to prevent splatter if he's frying.
Also, buy the dad a silicone spatula and wood/plastic cooking utensils.
>>
>>7197260
It's been said a few times already but allow me to reiterate: dad is not going to take care of his pans regardless of how high quality they are.

My advice is that you find out what crappy pans he likes to use and buy him like 5 of them.
>>
>>7201494
Would this be good for stir frying? I need something to stir fry in since my cast iron isn't really all that good and gets oil everywhere. Don't wanna get expensive pans though since I have roommates
>>
>>7201706

Nothing is good for stir frying except a wok and a recessed burner. But to answer your question, it'll do.
>>
>>7199620
This, or if you really want something special an All-Clad Tri-Ply 12" skillet.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.