[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me, /ck/. Everything I cook is fucking tasteless. I can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: porkfaggots.jpg (76KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
porkfaggots.jpg
76KB, 640x640px
Help me, /ck/. Everything I cook is fucking tasteless.

I can't afford to go out and buy shit for recipes every night, so I end up making shit in bulk and eating it over the course of 3-4 days. Usually consists of chicken, rice/noodles and some vegetables.

I fucking lucked out and had some red meat given to me by a friend of mine because he made some food at my place. I cooked it in some onions/garlic/veggies and olive oil, salt+pepper and made some noodles to go with it. Pretty much a stir fry.

It has zero fucking taste. The one time in months I get to eat red meat and I fuck it up. I just fucking threw some Tony's on it like I do with everything else I fucking cook, and I'm eating it because I fucking have to.

I refuse to believe that just because I'm a broke ass college student that I have to live in easy mac and ramen. Fuck that shit. Help?
>>
>>7192192
>onions/garlic/veggies and olive oil, salt+pepper
>zero taste
it sounds like the heat wasn't high enough to caramelize the aromatics. or you didn't add enough salt. if you just want more spices, try chinese five spice with something like that. make sure you use fresh ground black pepper, preground tastes like dirt.
>>
>>7192192
>it sounds like the heat wasn't high enough to caramelize the aromatics

I don't know how that works, so that could be it. I was honestly afraid of burning it because I'm a dumb fuck and didn't want to shit up my food for the next three days.

Is this a problem with cooking in general? I pretty much always play it safe with the heat for the reason mentioned above.
>>
>>7192226
>Is this a problem with cooking in general?
yes, if the heat is too low you're essentially boiling or steaming your food which does nothing to add flavor. a slight bit of char can add quite a bit of flavor.
>>
did you put everything in the pot/pan at the same time? not enough of the food will be exposed to the hot surface unless you're using something like a wok. you can cook your food in smaller batches to make sure everything browns evenly.
>>
>>7192233
I put the onion/garlic in some olive oil first, then added the vegetables. I let that cook until the onions were translucent and then added the meat.

I could have added too much meat at once, though. My pan isn't huge and I pretty much had to keep stirring it the entire time to make sure all the meat was cooking.
>>
>>7192237
okay, next time do the onion first on medium high heat until it gets just a slight char, and remove it from the oil to a plate or bowl or something. do the same with the garlic but only cook it for about 30 seconds, and remove. then do the vegetables until they get a slight char too, and are tender to your liking. finally do the meat, in small batches if necessary so it gets an even browning. then toss everything back together with your seasonings.

and make sure you scrape the stuff off the bottom of the pan, it's called fond and is basically concentrated flavor. you can add a small amount of liquid to help scrape it off. wine or stock is good for this, but water will work too.
>>
>>7192192
Spices get their flavour sucked into fat, often first put into the oil that you're frying in alongside onions. Herbs tend to be more delicate and usually go in towards the end if they're fresh, or somewhere around the middle if they're dried. Salt goes in whenever.

Right at the end, add a dash extra of whatever herbs and spices you've already used.

Lemon juice is an easy way to add flavour. It doesn't go with everything, but greatly lifts any dish that it's suitable for.
>>
File: 1364174410025.jpg (120KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1364174410025.jpg
120KB, 500x500px
>>7192241
Thanks broham. I'll do that next time. Seriously appreciate it.
>>
>>7192247
np brocephalus, good luck. this guy >>7192245 has good advice too, a bit of lemon juice or vinegar can really change a dish, especially if it's something with a lot of fat in it.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.