[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wine people, care to help a noob? I seem to like wine for the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: smelling_wine.jpg (68KB, 510x233px) Image search: [Google]
smelling_wine.jpg
68KB, 510x233px
Wine people, care to help a noob?

I seem to like wine for the most part, so I decided to start trying different kinds of wines to see what I like. Today I bought my first bottle, a cheap red wine, and I hate it. It has this weird, bold, offputting flavor and accompanying aroma that I know I recognize but can't quite put my finger on. This flavor and smell, whatever it is, is way too overpowering. I don't know how to describe it or what to compare it to. If I make sure not to breathe through my nose, it tastes a little better (I can actually taste the slight fruitiness and the mild wine taste I'm used to), but as soon as I start breathing normally again, the after-taste flares up on my tongue.

Anyone with more wine experience know what taste/scent I'm referring to and what ingredient is responsible so I know to avoid it in the future?
>>
>>7185312
wine is made from grape juice and yeast, often aged in barrels. there isn't really an "ingredient" you can avoid. my guess is that your bottle was cheap for a reason. what kind of wine is it and how much did you pay for it?
>>
>>7185317
It's called "Rosemount Diamond Label Shiraz" and it was only $6, so if I end up not drinking it, I'm not too worried. And now that you say "yeast," that rang a bell in my head. I think that's what the smell is, and probably the taste too. Is this common in cheap wines?
>>
>>7185312
It's pretty much impossible for anyone on the internet to tell you whether you have an issue with wine in general, or just that wine, or just the conditions under which you drank that wine. Some people just don't like alcoholic beverages. Some people really dislike reds, or whites, or tannins, or lack of tannins. It may or may not be a specific ingredient; it could just as well be the glass concentrating the alcohol vapors in a way that disagreed with you. If you want to get better at this, drink more wine. Also, I hope I don't have to tell you this, but don't drink the cheapest wine humanly possible. If you live in the west, a reasonable minimum would be $7-10 depending on where you live.

>>7185317
>wine is made from grape juice and yeast, often aged in barrels. there isn't really an "ingredient" you can avoid.
Horribly wrong. Wine makers use dozens of different extracts for flavor, aroma, and color, chemical powders and tablets for stabilization and selectively killing/encouraging microbes, organic and inorganic compounds for fining, etc etc. Not even getting into what goes on the grapes in the vineyard. A few wine makers will give you a full rundown of what they use, usually on their websites, but most will not.
>>
>>7185335
>$6 wine
>Any good

Without some amazing loss leader sale, this is your fuckup, senpai.

$7-10 to $9-12 for a bottle as a minimum indicator of quality for typical "good" pricing, depending on where you live.
>>
>>7185335
Yeah that stuff is ass, same as Yellow Tail or Little Penguin or any number of other wines from that continent, it was probably ground up Australian truck tires mixed with bad Aussie grapes. I suggest avoiding the entire continent of Australia in the future.
>>
>>7185354
>>7185355
Thanks for the tips, guys. I knew I shouldn't have gotten such a cheap bottle, but... the savings! Ha. But now I know, and next time I'll try out something in the $9-12+ range.
>>
>>7185370
Don't worry there are plenty of shit wines in the $9-12+ range. It's just that (unless you live in the south of france) you get *only* shit wines for $6 whereas you can get both shit wines and good wines for, say, $15.
>>
>>7185312
I like Bota Box Cabernet Sauvignon.
>>
>>7185312
If you're looking for a more "mild wine taste" as you put it, you might be better off investing in some merlot or pinot noir. Although a $6 bottle of wine is usually trash anyway so as other anons have said, try and spend a little more. If you're in australia anything $15 and up is usually an alright indication of drinkability.

Try to branch out into whites as well. Don't be discouraged by your first bad bottle, it's like when people start drinking whiskey for the first time and buy a shit one. It happens, and you will learn to tell the good from the bad, and hopefully appreciate the good.

Gl on your future endeavors
>>
File: barefoot-white-zinfandel[1].png (107KB, 480x1260px) Image search: [Google]
barefoot-white-zinfandel[1].png
107KB, 480x1260px
>>7185312
Just keep your fridge stocked with pic related and you'll keep the bitches happy. Bitches love them some White Zinfendel Rose.
>>
I open a bottle of wine. How long is it good for? Can I save some for later?
>>
>>7185355
Rawsons Retreat is pretty good for it's pirce.
>>7186537
You want to drink it within the week.

The taste will change over time so you may find it undrinkable after just a few days if you're sensitive.

Personally I like a merlot that's been open for five days every now and then.
>>
>every wine under $10 is pisswater
>look at me I'm a conaisseur

No you aren't, actually you're just noobs.
>>
>>7186771
>no examples given
>mom look I showed these guys how much I know about wine!
>>
So, since this thread exist and I don't really want to make a new thread. I'm looking into buying a bottle as a gift to my grandparents on a 20/25$ budget. Is there anything I need to know or can I trust the clerk to not sell me shit?
>>
>>7186905
Why are you buying them wine? Do they drink wine? What do they drink?

If someone bought me a random $25 bottle I'd be happy and I'd drink it no matter if it matched my taste, but some people are weird, and old people (cue that /pol/smoker from yesterday blowing a gasket now) can be stubborn and restrictive with what they'll drink. They'd still be grateful but it would go in a cupboard and never seen again.
>>
>>7186914
They do drink wine, as for what they drink I have no idea. I'd buy them something else but I don't know the current state of their liqueur cabinet and I know that a good bottle will be emptied. I could go with cheese but I already have something planed for that and that's my wild card already.
>>
>>7185355
Lel all that stuff is shipped in plastic lined shipping containers and then bottled wherever it was exported to. Essentially just a giant boxed wine.
>>
>>7186749
>pretty good for its price
If you mean "you won't even struggle not to vomit when you smell it in the glass", yeah, I guess. That's saying a lot for Aussie wine, let alone sub-$10 Aussie wine.

I wouldn't say it's "pretty good", but maybe I just have unreasonable standards. It meets the bare minimum smell and taste standards to be considered wine.

Penfold's used to have stuff in the $20-30 range that was, honestly, "pretty good for the price" but I haven't seen it in years, beyond the shit-tier Rawsons Retreat/Koonuga Hill crap, the next step up is like $70. Not sure what happened.
>>
>>7186920
I assume you mean "liquor cabinet" unless they only drink liqueurs

What's their geographic location, cultural background, and social class?
>>
>>7186929
Yes I do mean liquor, mixed it with my french it seems I'm either tired or need a dictionary. Geographical location doesn't really matter, they're Upper-middle class French Canadians. For having lived with them for a while I can tell you they enjoy their wine. Though it's usually 12/15$ bottles since they go through them so fast.
>>
>>7186933
>Geographical location doesn't really matter,
Actually it kind of does matter a lot, enjoy your shit-tier LCBO selection, you silly canuck.

I guess you'd better get them a Faiveley Mercurey or a Ruffino Riserva Ducale, because good luck getting any small labels up there. Those are good wines and you shouldn't have any trouble finding them.
>>
>>7186937
It's alright Anon, I know they're trying their best to make sure we get more Australian shit on their shelves.
>>
>>7186941
kekked

10/10
>>
File: Aussiewines.jpg (6KB, 184x151px) Image search: [Google]
Aussiewines.jpg
6KB, 184x151px
>>7186942
Also thanks they do have the Ruffino so I'll go with that. As for Australian wines I wish I was joking.
>>
File: scream.gif (985KB, 500x230px) Image search: [Google]
scream.gif
985KB, 500x230px
>>7186946
>mfw Canadians are victims of state-sponsored wine terrorism
I'm not sure which is worse: $7000 ambulance rides and being from the same state as Donald Trump, or having Aussie wine shoved down my throat by Big Government
>>
File: ITWASAPRANKBRO.jpg (5KB, 176x155px) Image search: [Google]
ITWASAPRANKBRO.jpg
5KB, 176x155px
>>7186949
It depend from province to province really. I was mostly funposting we have plenty of mainstream selection at all prices too.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.