[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the actual way to set the grind on one of these things?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: hario.jpg (46KB, 470x345px) Image search: [Google]
hario.jpg
46KB, 470x345px
What is the actual way to set the grind on one of these things? I can never get the number of "clicks" right for the two brew methods I use regularly (pour over and French press)

I usually went 13 clicks from closed for French press and 8 clicks from closed for pour over. Any other suggestions?
>>
>>7147971
Try different settings until you find the ones that work best for you.
>>
The hario grinders are good at putting out a reasonably consistent grind at one setting for a reasonable price.

If you need a multipurpose grinder with precise calibration you should probably cough up a little more money.

But honestly, anyone using french press has no reason to be picky, enjoy your oily mess.
>>
>>7148108
Oily?
>>
File: 1448493129444.jpg (491KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1448493129444.jpg
491KB, 768x1024px
>>7147971
Standard Drip Brew: 10 clicks
#2 Pour over: 10 clicks
Aeropress: 6-8 clicks
Espresso: 5 clicks
French Press: 12-14 clicks
Moka pot: 9 clicks
Chemex: 9 clicks

For anyone that has a Skerton:
http://fourbarrel.tumblr.com/post/283821195/easy-way-to-set-the-grind-on-a-hario-skerton

These are just rough guides. A lot depends on individual technique (e.g. brew time) and your own grinder as these are cheap and aren't all perfect.

>>7148503
That person doesn't seem to know what they're talking about if they can't get a damned good cup out of a FP
>>
>>7148526
You saved my picture from last week, it wasn't even a good picture
>>7148503
Yeah, FP and any metal mesh method lets oils through, this guy >>7148526 seems uneducated about basic coffee brewing. Some people say it's personal preference but, objectively speaking, the only valid metal mesh coffee is espresso. French press is the worst of both worlds, you can't taste the characteristics of the coffee, just the carrier bean. It was briefly popular about 20 years ago much like these chain stores selling hazelnut coffee were poplar, then the popular idea of "good coffee" improved and they're seen as a quaint retro anachronism now.
>>
>>7149507
So what do you prefer?
>>
>>7149549
V60, aeropress, or espresso
>>
>>7149556
>V60, aeropress,
opinion discarded
>>
>>7149572
It's an objective fact that they're the best
>>
>>7149577
but your order is fucked up

espresso is king and there is no equal. v60 is way, way down the order and the meme press isn't even a consideration for genuine coffee lovers.
>>
>>7149577
>It's an objective fact that they're my preference
FTFY
>>
>>7148108
>>7149507
I love my aeropress but you're a fucking idiot.
>he doesn't like natural coffee oils
Go back to Starbucks you flyover cvck.
>>
Yeah, isn't having the oils the point of good coffee?
>>
>>7149628
It's preference. That anon is being quite dramatic about it. Its not like even really oily beans means you're going to have a fucking pool of oil floating in your cup with a french press.
>>
File: IMG_20151208_095332.jpg (2MB, 2368x3200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151208_095332.jpg
2MB, 2368x3200px
>>7149627
I like oils, in my espresso where they belong.
French press is the blue rare steak of coffee. It's a half ass way to ruin something nice, that appeals to plebs who fear taking a real position and thus get the worst of both worlds and none of the best.
>implying you're not the flyover
>>
>>7149577
>inbefore he thinks aerokek makes real espresso
>>
>>7149696
>I don't know what "or" means
Please sue whoever taught you English
>>
I just bought one very similar to that. I set the grind by how tight I screw on the handle.
>>
>>7148526
Just counted mine and these numbers seem right. I use 7/8 clicks for my Bialetti Brikka as well as for the Aeropress, depending on the roast.
>>
>>7149684
You sound like you're stunted, mentally and physically.
I feel sorry for your parents who had to put up with you for so long.
>>
>>7149867
>being this defensive about your flawed "coffee"
just say flyover again, it will make you feel better
>>
File: 1430848970966.jpg (21KB, 567x567px) Image search: [Google]
1430848970966.jpg
21KB, 567x567px
>>7149684
>worst of both worlds and none of the best.
Perfectly extracted and unadulterated is the worst?
>>
When mine was new, I would do: 10 - 11 clicks for Aeropress and 25 clicks for French Press.

As it wore down after a few years, the grounds got finer for some reason.
As a result, I had to change that to 17 clicks for Aeropress (any less and that plunger wouldn't press) and 35 clicks for French Press.
>>
>>7147971
How fine do these grind? Could you use them to grind beans for turkish coffee?
>>
>>7150966
get a hand grinder dedicated to turkish they are cheap.
>>
>>7150966
https://youtu.be/Hxh-g0lgYRw?t=395

It can grind fine enough to jam an espresso machine. Just be ready to grind for a while.

Seek to 8:10 for when she finally gets it right.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.