[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey i have a legitimate cooking question that i hope some professional

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: IMAG0928.jpg (415KB, 1086x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0928.jpg
415KB, 1086x1920px
Hey i have a legitimate cooking question that i hope some professional out there would be able to help me out with...

Im starting a new job, and am going to make biscuits there. I want to make baller as fuck biscuits and blow the old guy out of the water.

The place i used to work at made bisciits that look like pic related. I asked and they said that its mainly about technique and not special ingredients. How do I get that awesome flakey rise? Ive made biscuits in large batches for restuarant service before and always had a hard time getting the butter cut in well.
>>
>>7099581
you've always used cold butter haven't you? let that shit get room temp/soft then cut it in
>>
Op here. Youtubed it and found a pretty good video that produces similar biscuits.

Here it is if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJSvvsdW8BQ

I was told when i was an apprentice to stop working the dough just when it comes together, and there is still raw flour visible. In her video the dough looks considerably worked.

Is biscuit dough more forgiving than you would expect?
>>
why is no one here interested in talking about actual cooking?
>>
File: 1285283222091.jpg (386KB, 1000x1876px) Image search: [Google]
1285283222091.jpg
386KB, 1000x1876px
>>7100368
Sorry bro, fast-food threads don't shitpost themselves
>>
>>7099581
Separate the dough into small batches before rolling out and never reroll used dough. It completely ruins the texture and ruins the layers.
I personally cut the butter while its very cold and start by cubing the butter into small squares. (Really wish I had a pastry cutter but that takes longer anyway) Then I mix it with the dry with my fingers, not smashing it but lightly working it into large peas. I make sure it's worked decently without making the butter soft or anywhere near room temp and work it with a fork to finish it and then let it proof in the fridge to make sure it's nice and cool before removing, rolling out and cutting them.
Mine always turn out with perfect layers, I think it also has to do with whether you fold the dough over itself after it's rolled to make 2x layers.
>>
>>7099581
>I want to make baller as fuck biscuits and blow the old guy

The second part makes the first part unecessary
>>
File: 1423511172826.jpg (12KB, 406x422px) Image search: [Google]
1423511172826.jpg
12KB, 406x422px
>>7100368
Where do you think you are?
>>
>>7099590
fgt
>>7100252
DNWTV but yes you have been told a lie. You need to NOT overwork the dough but you should work it past the 'raw flour visible stage'
>lmao
but only just a little. think sugar cookie dough.

then roll it out, fold it, roll it fold it and roll it, that's what makes the layers. If that's what the video shows you know I'm right. If not, maybe give my method a try.

>>7100468
>never reroll used dough.
this nigga knows
>>
>>7100252

>1/4lb butter
>2.5c flour
>1c buttermilk

well i guess we know why she looks fat as shit
>>
>>7100836
Ok man great. So if you roll out the dough, fold it over itself and roll it out again, this is not overworked dough. But reformed cut out dough is not good... Is the fact that youve cut the dough contribute to its diminished quality? I dont get it , it doesnt seem like the two are working the dough much more than the other.
>>
Use a LIGHT TOUCH. Keep all your shit COLD AS FUCK, and you have big warm hands like I do (your mother loves it when I slide my big warms fingers in her) use a fucking food processor to cut in the butter. Use buttermilk AND baking soda to achieve serious loft.

Do NOT overwork biscuit dough. Fold the buttermilk into the dry ingredients, that means NOT STIRRING, stupid. Work quickly and be gentle.

Use a fucking SHARP cutter and press straight down, NEVER TWISTING THE CUTTER.

Pic related. Treat biscuits like you'd treat her little rice-scented vagina. DELICATELY.
>>
>>7102416

yeah squishing the cut edges together and rerolling destroys the layers in parts so they end up rising really unevenly
>>
>>7100377
The Canada choice hurts me. Tim's is shiiiiiiiit.
>>
>>7100377
What the fuck? Tim Hortons? It's a fucking coffee place not a place to go to eat
>>
>>7100368
>why is no one here interested in talking about actual cooking?

We are interested in cooking. We're not interested in pampering you faggot. You can search a recipe yourself
>>
>>7099581
only two important things:
-don't overwork the dough. Stop mixing just when it comes together
-fold it over a few times, pressing it down by hand after each fold. Sprinkle some flour over the top each time you fold it.

It helps to keep the ingredients cold. I do everything by hand to get the best results, no rolling pins. Buttermilk is also essential.
>>
Fold dough, let rest an hour, fold dough, let rest an hour, repeat until you enjoy the crust.

I do a 1 butter/,5 lard to 2.5 flour and do the above process 6 times, then I put the mix in an 8 inch pot, spread even and flip the pot upside down, cut the dough into 6 and bake that.

Works well, start with cold butter imo and dont be afraid to add water, salt is mandatory but thats based on taste.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.