[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /ck/ What's the bread and cheese to make the perfect

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

File: grilled-cheese.jpg (38KB, 550x368px) Image search: [Google]
grilled-cheese.jpg
38KB, 550x368px
So /ck/
What's the bread and cheese to make the perfect grilled cheese?
>>
>>5474751
Well, to be honest, the "perfect" cheese for grilled cheese, IMO, is making your own "american style" cheese slices using a mixture of cheeses, (usually extra sharp cheddar and gruyere or jarlsberg). It's a little time consuming, but it's not hard, and the results are awesome. All the melting properties of american cheese, but better flavors and without the low quality ingredients.
And for the bread....man...there's lots of great breads to use in grilled cheese. LOTS. But, for a perfect "classic" grilled cheese, I hate to say this, but fucking Wonder bread is the best. Yep. And, griddled using mayonnaise instead of butter on the outsides, which makes for a perfect golden crispy exterior.
>>
OK for your bread you want to use a tortilla, for your cheese I recommend a queso cheese, put it on a pan heat it up and enjoy.
>>
I usually use a blend, but it always has fontina
>>
>>5474815
> a queso cheese
>>
>>5474751
Whatever you like. Gouda and a good cheddar is my favorite. If I make it in the oven I like ciabatta with some olive oil brushed on it. If on a skillet just regular sandwich bread with butter. Salt, pepper, and maybe some basil too.
>>
IMHO there's two ways to do this. The classic, or going all-out. I don't care for a "middle road" with grilled cheese. If you're not going to do the classic one, it had better be kick-ass.

1) the classic. pre-sliced white bread from a bag and American cheese. Yeah, the ingredients are shit-tier but the finished product isn't half bad.

2) going all-out with fancy ingredients. I make a couple different variations:

German rye bread, at least two different kinds of soft-rind French cheese like St. Andre & Camembert, braised short rib meat or chorizo, and a sauce made from carmelized shallots, port, and balsamic all reduced together. Cooked in high quality European butter, of course (I like Lurpak or Kerrygold) The sauce can be used inside the sandwich or for dipping or drizzled on later.

the other is:
Fresh baked sourdough, carmelized pears, herbed goat cheese and some chili flakes. Again, cooked with some really good butter.
>>
Kraft singles + Wonder Bread
>>
Sourdough w sharp cheddar and Jarlsberg. I always see people post things like Muenster and gouda but those are so mild they get lost to me, they just melt well. Cheddar makes a good base flavor and the swiss gives it that nutty sharpness.
>>
File: nigga.jpg (7KB, 261x171px) Image search: [Google]
nigga.jpg
7KB, 261x171px
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RllWJUvrxEY
>>
>>5475115

I love the taste of cheddar but it doesn't melt well. If I use cheddar I usually grate it fine and then mix it with another cheese that does melt well.

Also, gouda can be excellent, you just have to find the right one. Many of them are very mild but some have some good flavor to them. Smoked gouda is nice too.
>>
>>5475132
I like gouda, just not the ones that melt on grilled cheese. 1000 day aged gouda is a favorite but it melts as horrible as parmesan. and gouda is excellent smoked cheese. Plain soft gouda underwhelms me.
>>
>>5474751
Fontina or sharp provolone.
Then again, I don't approve of sandwiches that don't include either of those two cheeses in general.
You know what really grinds my gears? People who think deli meats can be put on grilled cheeses. The only items that can be put on grilled cheeses are traditional garnish items (bacon, avocado, etc.)
>>
extra sharp cheddar, whatever bread you like
>>
>>5474751
texas toast slathered in butter
trust me
>>
>>5475271
>putting butter ON the bread
nah, man, that shit goes on the pan
>>
>>5475125
why is alton brown so based?
>>
>>5475285
you have to make sure that the bread absorbs the butter
otherwise the butter is just going to melt and fall through the grates of the grill
>>
>>5475112
This.
It's like everything wonderful about your childhood wrapped up in a sandwich.
>>
>>5474751
Anon, you must know that the cheese is not the only important factor of a GC sandwich,

The top...Stuffings are actually more important,
i love to fill mine with Young Gouda and Jalapenos.
>>
american bread and american cheese, pardna

can I get a HELL YEAH?

*starts clapping and stomping as eagles soar the skies with fighter jets*
>>
>>5475082
>a cheese cheese
>>
pepper jack is pretty good for a grilled cheese
>>
A 50/50 mix of comté and gruyere on sour dough.

Eat that.
>>
Extra Sharp Cheddar + Wheat Bread

People who use American cheese or white bread should fucking kill themselves.
>>
Country wheat with monterey jack and practically fried in butter. It's so damn good.
>>
>>5475594
cheddar melts like shit, it is good though. fuck wheat bread though, grilled cheese was made for white bread...i usually use pepperjack, cheddar, and sometimes american cheese. if you want to know what makes it good as fuck, sprinkle a little garlic salt on the buttered bread
>>
>>5474751
Any whole wheat or whole grain bread, and any cheddar so old it crumbles as you cut it.
>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM2x3tVBxWo
>>
cheese you like + bread you like + heat
>>
>white bread + american cheese + butter
>rye bread + muenster + butter + garlic
>pumpernickel + sharp cheddar + butter
>>
I still can't get that in some part of the world, this is real food.
>>
>>5474751
wonder bread + kraft singles
>>
>>5475082
>a case o' cheese
>>
My favorite is saltine crackers and cold cheese
>>
>>5477094
this nigger knows whats up
>>
>>5474751
>sourdough
>Pepperjack, Chedder and Gouda
>Slice of Ham and tomato
>salt&pepper
>dipping it in hot dijon mustard
My favorite
>>
File: Grilled-Cheese TEX.jpg (1MB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Grilled-Cheese TEX.jpg
1MB, 1800x1200px
>>5474751
>>
>>5477572
Once you add ham to a cheese sandwich, it's not a cheese sandwich anymore. It's a ham sandwich. The same way it'd turn into a cheeseburger if you added a patty of cooked ground beef.
>>
>>5479040
>It's a ham sandwich
>not a ham and cheese sandwich

..... wat?
>>
>>5479040
If you had ham it more or less becomes a croque monsieur, which at least deserves to be eaten.
>>
>not just mixing a bunch of panko bread crumbs and shredded cheese together and making a patty
>>
I use a store bought garlic andparsley flatbread, then in the oven, cook it for abit, load it up with gouda, a little mozzarella, gruyere and cook till it's all melted, put some chorizo on there , some ham and tomato then fold that shit up , cut it in half and its peng
>>
>>5474793
>griddled using mayonnaise instead of butter

I've done this and holy fuck is it delicious.
>>
>>5479377
>panko bread crumbs
from the department of redundancy department
>>
>>5474751
Sourdough and extra sharp cheddar.
>>
>>5479418
That isn't a fucking grilled cheese, that's just a toastie.
>>
>Ctrl-F Havarti
>I am disappoint, anon.
>>
>>5475298
>grates
Grilled cheese is usually fried in a frying pan.
>>
>>5475125
has he gotten...snarkier with time?
>>
>>5474751
Wonderbread and american cheese.

It's the only thing its good for.
>>
Cheap hamburger buns grilled inside out and Colby. Dipped into tomato soup. Tastes like childhood.
>>
>>5474751
1) bread you like.

2) cheese you like that melts well.
>>
>>5474751
It really depends. If you want to go with the conventional what everyone thinks of, make your own american cheese using various cheeses and sodium citrate (makes it meltingly smooth), also use milk shokupan or some other really really soft white bread. Use butter. Screw mayo.
Lots of butter.

Of course why stop there?

Brie with pears on sourghdough?
Smoked gouda?
The possibilities are endless. There's alot of good cheeses out there.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.