[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of cosplay going mainstream to the point where

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

File: daniels_comic_con_007.jpg (766KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
daniels_comic_con_007.jpg
766KB, 1000x667px
What do you think of cosplay going mainstream to the point where even celebrities are doing? Is this good for the community or bad?
>>
Two thoughts:

1) I think it's good if some more introverted or bashful people become more comfortable with cosplaying because they saw someone famous or a role model do it. That's great.

2) I'm really wary of the reverse happening, where extremely attractive or famous people of both sexes coming to garner all the attention due to looks/tossing money at a costume, causing people to feel shamed or emasculated, and reducing the focus on "homegrown" costumes. Yeah yeah, "have a thick skin" or whatever and this is the way society has always been, but it kinda bothers me as gaming, anime, and other interests are so often a form of "escape" for people, I hate to see them "corrupted" in such a way.
>>
Well the guys in your example grew up weeb. They are just famous people who grew up with the same hobbies as us.

'cosplay' has always been mainstream once a year (halloween), now the idea of conventions has gone more public, who cares.
>>
>>9589326
>What do you think of cosplay going mainstream to the point where even celebrities are doing? Is this good for the community or bad?
>>9589326
I think it's incredibly disingenuous.
They never did it before, probably didn't even care that much for it.
Now they see how much Social Capital they can gain/sell by doing it.
They also have nearly limitless funds to get someone else to make their stuff bespoke, OR they can do the "It's so shit it's ironic" gambit.
I think it's neither good nor bad, just a sign of the times where the idea of "community" has been replaced with "What can I get out of said community".
>>
>>9589326
According to ESPN article, Daniels supposedly spent 3k on the costume. As someone who made several Naruto cosplays before, that's just absolutely ridiculous.

As for question from >>9589326, I'd put this one on media outlets trying to capitalize on 'cosplay mainstream'. I recall Justin Timberlake going around Comic-Con as shady Ernie right around 2011, so one can assume that some celebrities have been going around con in costume before the craze.
>>
>>9589326
It's been going on for a long time.
Witness Anna Nicole Smith cosplaying Rikku, Ivy from Soul Calibur, and moree, in 2004.

We were just as disgusted back then.

https://youtu.be/cpuixRF4PRY?t=53s
>>
>>9589864
Those costumes were made for her for the award show. She wasn't a cosplayer.
>>
>>9589403
I completely agree with #2. cosplaying at certain cons have become so emotional fraught that I cant do it. why does everything have to be perfect. as long as the person isnt trying to start a patreon let them be.
also the gaming tournaments aren't cool anymore. I refuse to believe these are the best of the best. its all money'd "Seinfeld-esq" people. I don't need personalities. I don't need lames that can follow a formula. its not fun anymore unless its small. shame.
>>
>>9589403
Beautiful people have been cosplaying for years and it never stopped the ugly fatsos.
>>
>>9589326
It's a fad that will pass in a few years
>>
>>9589462
Daniels also had a pro makeup and hair artist so that's part of the cost. That's a couple hours of hair work right there for the wig, mustache etc.

He's a huge Naruto weeb so was probably ready to pay through the nose for an accurate, quality handmade costume by a professional who could charge real-life custom-clothing costs, which is a shit ton more than Taobao or the Joann's sale section.

Face it, normal cosplayers deal in terms of making something/buying something for the best cost/value ratio possible. Or saving up/finding sales/getting cheaper options. This guy has the money and wants to cosplay well - he doesn't need to learn how to sew/coupon clip/shop around and I'm sure he wouldn't want to anyway. He just wants to dress up and have a good time. NFL players regularly drop $1K on dinner, what's $3K for an awesome con experience as your favorite character?
>>
File: IMG_8434.png (3MB, 955x2642px)
IMG_8434.png
3MB, 955x2642px
There was a cosplay joke in the new Wimpy Kid movie, which was pretty chuckleworthy. Too bad the movie as a whole was a total letdown, especially if you grew up with the original movies.
>>
>>9589326
i think its all fun but like with anyone i don't want them showing up in a bag with a party city wig. especially celebrities, because it could give off the impression that that type of standard is okay.

celebrities have the money. they can show up looking better than 12 year old jane doe in her (apparently) steven universe cosplay. & to the people already bitching in this thread about celebrities being able to easily pay for a perfect costume- if you want to the same luxury, work more. it's not the person willing to drop 3k's fault that you're only able to spend 300.

hopefully most (bigger) celebrities have the brains to show up in something with a mask too. it's annoying crowd wise if they dont, but just plain dangerous for them anyways to be identifiable in a large public setting.
>>
File: 1480655454049.jpg (18KB, 204x202px)
1480655454049.jpg
18KB, 204x202px
>>9590311
>Are those even real?
Because boobs.

Also, anybody noticed this cosplayer? Is it a popular cosplayer /cgl/ knows or just some random cosplayer?
>>
>>9590464

they hired a good number of actual cosplayers as extras for this movie and then barely used them in the final cut. none of them were credited so I'm not sure if this is one of the cosplay extras or if it's someone they dressed up to take this photo. I agree that the movie was pretty terrible, so maybe it's for the best that cosplay wasn't showcased too much...

cosplay is probably at about its max mainstream point and will level off from here, if it follows a similar trend to the popularity of anime or manga in the early 2000's. I think some saturation is good, because it makes companies realize we'll buy their materials if they make them available at the right price or if they fit our needs. Companies like smooth-on have developed new products recently with cosplayers in mind.

as for celebrities, I don't really pay attention to what they do, so I don't care if they cosplay or not as long as they don't create a hassle for other convention attendees.
>>
File: 1501611017065.jpg (312KB, 2211x1065px) Image search: [Google]
1501611017065.jpg
312KB, 2211x1065px
>>9590603
Didn't they go to Dragoncon to hire extras for that movie?

As shit as the movie was, at least they picked a good replacement for Rowley.
>>
i'm a normie who is crossplaying with some e-friends at an upcoming con for laughs. i also patterned and sewed my dress, and spared no detail head to toe. as an outsider, i see way too many lazy cosplayers to feel bad about poking fun or cheapening the craft when i put in more effort than them for a joke.
>>
>>9590311
I initially didn't get the joke because her tits look completely average and normal. Couldn't they use a pic of Yaya instead?
>>
Yall don't know about famous Japanese wrestler Kenny Omega basing his wrestling persona and music off of Sephiroth.

He even went as far as to name his finisher "The One Wing Angel"
>>
File: dsqmxn4.jpg (313KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
dsqmxn4.jpg
313KB, 1536x2048px
>>9589326
>What do you think of cosplay going mainstream to the point where even celebrities are doing?
Some celebrities are just as nerdy as the nerdiest among us, the only difference being status and notoriety. They're just people.

>Is this good for the community or bad?
It literally does not affect you unless you let it.
>>
>>9590341
>it's not the person willing to drop 3k's fault that you're only able to spend 300.
This. Anyone who says otherwise regarding a non-work hobby is a dirty commie. And I'm speaking as a poorfag,
>>
>>9589326
I won't disclose who I am, obviously, but I can confirm that as one of the biggest Celebrities out on Media today I have personally cosplayed myself among other anime-featured characters I enjoy, also Manga, and none even blinked an eye outside of the normal, '' Photo? ''

I truly enjoyed being able to be myself without the crowding and very few, and I mean less than five, even caught wind of who I really am.

I've eaten regular lunches, gone to panels, stood in long lines for dances and concerts, sat in the back row, got yelled at by Convention Staff, and even talked to by the Police for hanging with the 'wrong crowd as the wrong time' sort of deal. I've even enjoyed myself with both genders (hence why some had an idea they just had an encounter with..)

but all in all it was kept underwraps, Con Magic keeps our identities safe, and lets us really be ourselves.

So, thank you Anonymous websites and thank you Convention go'ers. You make the magic able to happen. So to all my fellow nerds, geeks, and cosplay bi's, I raise my cup to you.
>>
>>9595485
> this totally happened
>>
File: dd.png (54KB, 300x184px) Image search: [Google]
dd.png
54KB, 300x184px
>>9593301
>>
>>9595485
Even if you're not, I'm sure there's at least one or two people who do this. So, I'm inclined to follow the sentiment.

I think OP wasn't going for that specifi situation though, where the celebrity is alrgely kept under wraps, but rather where the celebrity is out front and leading.
>>
As long as people are having fun and don't harm anyone, who cares?

More power to them.
>>
someone post the rihanna ones
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.