[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

20 years and the Sailor Moon musicals still can't produce

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 13

File: 20140131010716b20.jpg (437KB, 584x882px) Image search: [Google]
20140131010716b20.jpg
437KB, 584x882px
20 years and the Sailor Moon musicals still can't produce a decent Moon/Usagi wig.
>>
Or princess serenity costume.
>>
>not understanding how plays/musicals work
>not understanding that over the top obvious design is supposed to be seen from far away
>not realizing that the wigs aren't supposed to look natural looking as if this were a cosplay at a convention
>>
This bait is so good. I just want to white knight my beautiful campy animusicals.
>>
>not believing that the musicals have the best costume design out of all of the sailor moon adaptions
>>
Yet somehow other musicals and stage shows have managed to make costumes that can be seen from far away and don't look hideous????
>>
>>9480078
You don't understand how stage productions work you just have crappy taste lol
>>
>>9480318
Keep the bait coming, anon.
>>
I love watching anime musicals/plays. They're always really bad but in the most charming ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWS3Ew2ol2I
>>
File: IMG_2102.jpg (41KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2102.jpg
41KB, 480x720px
even the official wig from acos didn't look that great. i don't know if they'll ever have a good usagi wig.
>>
>>9480058
I actually love the wigs and costumes of the first musicals. The new/modern musicals are trash and the costumes look wrong. They don't fit the original 80/90 aesthetic of Sailor Moon
>>
>>9480427
So is this like a thing? Like Sailor Moon musical fans not only refuse to accept that it looks horrific but will get into a tizzy if you point that out? Are they like the unironic Nickelback fans of Sailor Moon cosplay?
>>
>>9481245
I have never even seen the musical. I do know how musicals and plays work though. The outfits/makeup/wigs are supposed to look very over exaggerated for the people in mezzanine and balcony seats to be able to differentiate who is who on stage from far away. Especially if no large screens are showing what is happening on stage to the audience. Stay mad, anon. They look like this for a reason.
>>
That upper right one I had to constantly remind myself that no, that is not yarn.
>>
>>9481245
Sailor Moon fans aren't Final Fantasy VII fans anon. They can admit when things are bad.

I am meh about both those series and can tell you as someone who did theater, its about being seen from afar. stage makeup looks like clown makeup.
>>
File: image.jpg (116KB, 960x1010px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
116KB, 960x1010px
>>9481253
Apparently you don't though. It is entirely possible to make costumes that can be seen from afar and look good. You should go to the theater sometime, autism-chan, you might like it!
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 450x450px
>>
File: image.jpg (110KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110KB, 640x427px
>>
>>9481264
>look good
>over exaggerated makeup
>what is a musical directed towards kids

Tell me more about white plain costumes vs anime costumes.
>>
File: image.jpg (101KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101KB, 853x480px
>>
File: image.jpg (253KB, 678x1023px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
253KB, 678x1023px
>>
>>9481278
>>9481270
>>9481267
Proving stage anons points here, salty anon. These costumes are exaggerated. You also need to take into consideration the time period, source material.. etc for such outfits.
>>
File: image.jpg (151KB, 554x739px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
151KB, 554x739px
Tell me more about how costumes have to be hideous to be seen from afar!
>>
Anyone know who that mexican sailor moon cosplayer is that shows up at so many californian conventions and events?
>>
>>9481281
Exaggerated =\= hideous design, autism-chan~
>>
>>9481285
Its Sailor moon, anon. Calm down. Its been like this since it started. I dont know why a thread dedicated to something supposed to look like this and that has run for years is suddenly a hot topic.
>>
>>9481291
I don't know why you guys are so attached to this that you have a meltdown if someone points out the obvious. I guess this is why people called the OP bait, you guys are way too defensive over a tacky stage show. I never knew this was even a thing.
>>
>>9481295
No one is having a meltdown besides you. Just chill anon.
>>
>>9481300
Seriously? This is you guys not having a meltdown? Look at the second response to thread and the ensuing diatribes about "no, I KNOW musicals!"

And that isn't you guys having a meltdown? Damn, and I thought Broadway fans were high strung.
>>
>>9481308
They aren't wrong about musicals or plays needed to exagerate things, but you're throwing a fit because not everyone agrees that they look like shit. Calm down, anon.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7oAQiR65cI I love the musicals and seeing people pull a fit arguing over costumes has been going on for years. Let's look at some of these wigs in action though.
>>
It's almost as if certain designs are impossible to replicate and maintain when the wearer is running around a stage.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsa5hnC2rbk Later Anza, I like the bangs of this one alot, you can actually see the sodding tiara.
>>
>>9481310
Dude, that you honestly think someone disagreeing with you is throwing a fit is remarkable. Exaggerating costumes doesn't excuse crap design. If my posting a bunch of pics to illustrate this point is throwing a fit then holy shit, no wonder you guys have a reputation for crazy.

So this is why people were calling this thread bait. You guys are way too emotionally invested in this. It's okay to like crappy shit, but having a panic attack whenever someone mentions that it's crappy is just bizarre.
>>
>>9481308
Nayrt and 0 investment in this subject but yeah you do kind of seem like the hysterical one. I don't think the wigs in OP look especially offensive, plus the way you started the thread was just a waste. No invitation for discussion/comparison posting of fan made wigs you find better, you obviously don't work for a theatre or with wigs a lot otherwise you'd be discussing your issues with the wigs from those perspectives, it just seems like you started this thread to stir shit and complain, or you were expecting to get butt pats and agreement.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1wGrf3hkJk Fumina which is the same as late Anza but the ponytails are a bit tidier.
>>
>>9481320
Calm down, anon.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxDN93UC6pQ Miyuki's wig meanwhile is just a wedge of hair.
>>
>>9481322
I wish there were bloopers for their stage practice. I'm betting so many people were hit my Pluto's staff or Usagi's wings. Lol. I would love to see that.
>>
>>9481321
...I'm not the one who started the thread though? But yeah, now I see why people were calling it bait, yikes.
>>
Question: If I wanted to cosplay a sera myu costume (specifically Eternal Sailor Moon) should I get a stage-accurate wig, or opt for a realistic wig instead?
>>
>>9481325
Its very smart that they curl the hair the way they do for Usagi since she is running around like that. It keeps it looking pretty clean and untangled.
>>
>>9481320
Anon your fighting a losing battle here, the gawdy costumes are welcomes. It was a musical aimed at children but later gained traction with older fans and Naoko considers the musicals the best adaption of the manga. You can bitch about poor costumes but these costumes and wigs had to be tossed and swapped alot. Newer musicals not as much as they really wanted polish but still, gaudy is popular.

Anyway, 2005 musical. The transition from this to the new musicals is fun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxDN93UC6pQ
>>
>>9481332
Why not anime accurate wig? I promise you not many people have actually seen the stage productions of it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHNOjEQTdi4
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im8OnictcRk new musicals, the ponytails bother me because the top looks like socks. Which is funny because alot of effort has obviously gone into the base/bangs of Usagi's wig. Still, polished and cute.
>>
OMG THE APRON! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVqsLqUybTE
>>
>>9481340
Its actually very possible they used some kind of nylon to keep the shape. Smart idea for cosplayers to use for characters like Chibi or even something like doing Jesse's wig from Pokemon.
>>
>>9481332
The later musicals have a goldy blonde to em, I'd say go for that.

>>9481327
They rarely showed because the recordings were always made sure to be good, however Anza points them out here which is very cute https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4CoPITbyOY
>>
>>9481334
whoops, the true 2005 clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5UKkDW97xA
>>
>>9481346
THE SHOE FLYING OFF!! Lol! I can totally picture that while trying to do stage fighting and off the shoe flies.
>>
>>9481350
I love the volume in the skirts in this one. I wish some cosplayers did this type of volume because usually you only see it on Usagi cosplayers, but I love how they look n all the Senshi.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snxlG0leYTA However, whilst I love gaudyness.
Nah.
>>
Speaking of Sailor Moon costumes, this make-up is probably the best. I know it has been posted before on CGL, but it's been a while. I wish the musical could come up with something like this or take inspo from it. Its so good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao7GS7uUDsw
>>
>>9481245
I've never seen any fellow Myu fans actually defend the wigs. Sometimes people defend the costume designs, since they are constructively high quality, just really strange design-wise due to being for the stage.
>>
File: tumblr_nuv9gguL1U1tm8b4eo2_1280.jpg (74KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nuv9gguL1U1tm8b4eo2_1280.jpg
74KB, 720x480px
Satomi's wig got better after La Reconquista.

I can't get into the new musicals very much, despite being obsessed with the old musicals since I was 12. The music in the new shows is really bland and unmemorable--reminds me of original Takarazuka show music, instead of 'musical' music--and almost none of the actresses can carry a note aside from Tuxedo Mask and usually the villains. It's not like all the actors and actresses in the old musicals were great at singing, but in the new shows it's just cringe-worthy.
>>
>>9481264
Anon...Takarazuka has a costume budget the size of a small country's GDP. Original Sera Myu is for little kids. Are you really comparing the two?
>>
>>9481705
>>9481705
Thats why I said anon doesn't know what they are talking about at all and made this thread about wigs and then goes on to bitch about costumes? Lol
>>
>>9481275
>>9480058
Please tell me what is bad about the most recent Usagi wig? It's pretty much perfect.
>>
>>9481705
To be fair, they weren't talking about costume budget at all. They were responding to the assertion that the costumes designs intentionally looked bad because they had to be seen from far away, as if all stage costumes looked OTT/bad so that people could tell what they were from balcony seats.

The age range has more to do with the Myu design than budget. the Sailor Moon musicals were aimed at little kids, so little kids had to be able to see the primary colors even in balcony seats, whereas Takarazuka's primary paying audience is not children.
>>
File: tumblr_oq4z6oLjvy1urmeu8o1_1280.jpg (314KB, 670x947px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oq4z6oLjvy1urmeu8o1_1280.jpg
314KB, 670x947px
Holy shit! They brought Satomi back to play Sailor Cosmos in what will probably be the last of the reboot musicals. The way they did her and the other actresses who didn't want to leave was dirty, though. They should have let them finish out the run since there were only 2 productions left.
>>
>>9482083
I dont think you followed my pist, anon. I'm not complaining about the wigs. I was telling anon that comparing a musical/play with plain clothing and wigs/real hair vs Sailor Moon is sort os unfair.
>>
>>9481822
It's almost as though they're different people
>>
>>9481253
I literally do not have a dog in this fight but this isn't the universal truth and people need to stop acting like it is. It's entirely a matter of what the production is going for, the theme and aesthetic of the show, the tastes of the people you're working with, the technical viability of using OTT make up and styling, etc. etc.

For the SM musicals it does seem like the decision I'd go with, same for something like Wicked or Chicago, but for productions like Grease or Next To Normal using the exaggregation approach might very well do more harm than good.

People aren't blind, nor are they stupid. Even sitting at the balconies or far away, you don't NEED extravagant or OTT costumes to tell the actors apart. If you do, then there's something else in your production that's not right. Can't tell the actors apart? You should be able to tell not only by score and lyrics, but also by voice. Can't see their expressions? Again, score, but also choreography. This is the literal purpose of choreography. Exaggregated make up isn't going to look natural from far away, it's just going to look like someone is wearing a lot of make up. A lot of the time, that works, because suspension of disbelief or context or aesthetic, but not every time.
>>
File: fiyerodesign.jpg (37KB, 429x559px) Image search: [Google]
fiyerodesign.jpg
37KB, 429x559px
>>9483118
>Exaggregated make up isn't going to look natural from far away, it's just going to look like someone is wearing a lot of make up. A lot of the time, that works, because suspension of disbelief or context or aesthetic, but not every time.

Somewhat related, but this reminds me of how they originally kept Fiyero's diamond tattoos for the Wicked stage musical but they had to axe them during early previews after trying out a few different styles because people farther away from the stage couldn't tell what was going on with his face. Here's one of the later preview designs, there's also one where it was on his forehead with bigger diamonds but I can't seem to find that photo.
>>
>>9482992
I'm still livid that they haven't brought back any of the old Myu actresses for the new shows. I don't get why they are distancing themselves so much since the nostalgia factor is huge. ANZA has even said she would love to do them again.
>>
>>9483784
bitch Anza wants to come back? Bring her back!!!
>>
>>9483874
They won't. They're distancing themselves just about completely from the old shows, for some reason. I mean, no "La Soldier"? La Bullshit is what that is.

I wish they would have asked her to be Galaxia, she's said in more than one interview/q&a she'd love to come back as a villain.
>>
>>9481320
So, you just happened to stop by the board to talk about Sailor Moon musicals?
>>
>>9483784
I'll admit, I haven't been keeping up with the new musicals. I watched one, but it felt uninspired. Did the old actresses really say they would? Was there some sort of official statement on this from the production company? Legit curious if you could provide more deets.
>>
>>9480078
I'm with you, anon. Makeup and hair are often over the top in stage productions since people are watching from so far away.
>>
>>9481283
I don't think anyone said hideous, just exaggerated, and this costume is indeed quite dramatic.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ipQTndeVBU Let's see just not the new Sailor Moon, Uranus and Neptune were a big deal when announced.
>>
Anza was best Myu, and her wig was the worst.

I saw Amour Eternal, and her moon stick broke during the performance. It was great.
>>
>>9486437
ANZA has said in various Q&As and online comments that she would like to do another musical, particularly as a villain. I know that Yuuta Mochizuki has been wanting to use his role as Tuxedo Mask for American appearances instead of just his role in Super Sentai, and he along with a number of other former Myu cast participated in a special concert last year or the year before that. I don't know about any of the other actors but quite a few of them still work in theater and would probably be up for it if they were asked.

The production company has never said anything about it, but the way that they avoid using La Soldier and any other Myu connections seems deliberate. It's not like they can't use the music, Toei still owns the rights and put a lot of old Myu songs in special karaoke machines.
>>
>>9480058
They all looks so fake.
>>
>>9481264
>>9481267
>>9481270
>>9481278
Was going to stop reading the thread, but then Takarazuka stuff was posted. You have my attention anon(s).
>>
>>9487837
Thanks, that helps clears up a lot. :)
>>
first view of Kakyuu & the Starlights for the next musical. I hope they still have Kakyuu singing operatically.
>>
bless this thread

I've watched sera myu on youtube since I was a child but never met anyone else who's seen it

my favourite usagi by far was Marina, iirc she was only 13-14 when she was casted and she embodied the character to perfection, although I haven't really watched her performances in... over 10 years (holy shit!!) since I was a kid at the time, I kind of idolized her as well.
>>
>>9494086
>on youtube
>since I was a child

Let me just get my cane so I can complain about how back in my day we had to wait for Ken Yuen or Setsuna Kou to get ahold of the VHS tapes that they were able to order from Japan, wait for Yuen to subtitle them and he sometimes didn't subtitle stuff if he didn't feel it was interesting, and then send in money orders and then wait several weeks to get our secondhand VHS copies
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.