[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tokusatsu helmets! I get how to make one from cardboard and paper

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

File: 2012-08-15235802.jpg (28KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
2012-08-15235802.jpg
28KB, 360x480px
Tokusatsu helmets!
I get how to make one from cardboard and paper mache but I have no idea how to make them look... smooth and slightly more natural.
Talk to me about them, about the durability of foam compared to cardboard, painting, anything. I really want to run around with one of these.
>>
looks like a type of foam really

also these cardstock helms are usually built with pepakura then reinforced with glassfiber from the inside and bondo from the outside

foam is easy to work with and very light + flexible. Disadvantage is that paint cracks immediately when foam is bent
>>
>>9459025

Sanding helps for cardboard and paper mache. However you will never get it to the same level as a real helmet unless you invest into something like resin and bondo
>>
>>9459069
>Disadvantage is that paint cracks immediately when foam is bent
Use flexbond before painting and it won't crack when bent.
>>
>>9459069
>also these cardstock helms are usually built with pepakura then reinforced with glassfiber from the inside and bondo from the outside

this is pretty much one of the best method for these types of helmets.

you can use EVA foam and reinforce it but i think cardstock+fiberglass is a better method.
>>
>>9459025

It's as the other anons have said, generally, you can use Pepakura to print out a design onto Cardstock paper, cut out the pattern, fold it, glue it together, strengthen it with either Fiberglass Resin or Epoxy Resin if you don't have the space to let Fiberglass air-out and dry. Apply Bondo or some other body-filler, to the outer surface, and sand it down and paint it for a nice finish.

You can just as easily print a pattern out for Foam, or Cardboard. Cardboard generally doesn't give it nearly as nice a finish as foam, and is generally considered one of the more pedestrian / starting materials to work with, nevertheless, incredible things can be built out of cardboard if you're ambitious enough.

((See Dali DIY on Youtube for examples of quality cardboard creations.))
>>
File: o-IRON-MAN-ARMOR-facebook.jpg (180KB, 1536x995px) Image search: [Google]
o-IRON-MAN-ARMOR-facebook.jpg
180KB, 1536x995px
>>9459124
Alternatively, I have seen people use Wood Glue, PVA Glue, Paper Mache, or some combination of any of these methods, to apply to their helmets instead of Resin... which, again, generally won't have quite as nice a finish or it won't be quite as sturdy as a Resin finish would, but it's just as sturdy for casual wear, and gets the job done if you don't have high-quality, glossy-resin finish standards.
>>
>>9459124
My noob is gonna show, but isn't fibreglass dangerous? Or is my age showing.
Back in my day...
>>
I wanna do more helmets/armor with pepakura but all the products that people tell me about aren't a thing over here.

So I just go back to making shitty, bumpy helmets with resin, bondo and fibreglass. RIP me
>>
>>9459249
>isn't fibreglass dangerous?
Oh, absolutely, Not even mentioning the effects of long-term exposure of the fumes, and generally it smells quite funky. A respirator or at the very least some sort of mask is mandatory for working with it, and it's generally either worked on outdoors or in a well-ventilated area.

You can get rashes and irritations to your eyes and lunges if you inhale the fumes or particulates, for that reason it's preferable to use Epoxy Resins instead of Fiberglass Resins because Epoxy tends to be odorless and non-toxic, which would allow you to let the material cure and harden indoors or in a poorly ventilated area without any risk at all.
>>
>>9459292
...but yeah, generally protective gear is supposed worn when dealing with all of these chemicals, unless it's specifically stated that it's non-toxic.
>>
>>9459249
>but isn't fibreglass dangerous?

well yeah, the fumes and such are dangerous and you need proper protection when using it but afterwards, its fine.
its not like the stuff is radiation or something when its all cured.
I mean, stuff like helmets, boats and cars have fiberglass in it but its not like you have to wear some type of hazard suit when youre around them.
>>
>>9459292
All types of rexin is toxic, being ordorless doesn't make it healthy to breathe the fume of.
>>
File: Kamen_Rider_Faiz.jpg (69KB, 386x455px) Image search: [Google]
Kamen_Rider_Faiz.jpg
69KB, 386x455px
I'm thinking of trying to make a Faiz suit for upcoming cons and I was thinking of making the main parts of the suit (chest/shoulders/arm/leg parts) out of eva foam. I've never worked on foam before but it seems pretty easy, would pepakura work well with the foam?
>>
>>9460145
Depends, pepakura can work fine if your used to it. Foams fairly comprehensive if you know how to make patterns for cutting and know where to measure. Now the hard part is how to hide how it all holds together.
>>
>>9460145
I like to use hot glue to put foam pieces together, but that completely prevents me from using a heat gun to seal anything.

Luckily, you can use cardboard joints to hold it together from the inside and then seal the outside with Elmer's glue. Or go the way I prefer, coat it with thinned out Bondo and finish it with glazing putty, reinforce the inside with fiberglass mat, and then get to painting.
>>
Say you make a helmet out of fiberglass, i know you can put the latches inside the helmet itself, but how would one hide the hinge properly and the rivets that keep the latches into place to have accurate detail?
>>
>>9459261
But that's all the materials you use for pepakura builds... You gotta apply it smoothly and sanding it smooth is 80% of the work on pepakura bondo fibreglass builds

>>9460145
Would work fine, i would suggest checking out the tutorials on this guys channel, he has some tips on how to use pepakura for foam and how to assemble it
https://www.youtube.com/user/wayneberendhuysen/videos

>>9460222
>I like to use hot glue to put foam pieces together
Why don't you use contact glue?
>>
>>9459261
>So I just go back to making shitty, bumpy helmets with resin, bondo and fibreglass. RIP me

its not like pepakura is gonna magically fix that problem. the problem lies with you not doing a good job.
i use pepakura on lots of my projects and i still get bumps and sections that end up being uneven. but lots of sanding, filling, etc fixes those problems up.
>>
>Kamen rider
>tokusatsu
>pepakura

Where's Decade when you need him
>>
How do I cut for that round curvature?
>>
File: 1485038897192.png (108KB, 292x304px) Image search: [Google]
1485038897192.png
108KB, 292x304px
>>9461386
I freehand stuff now, no more Pepakura. I mostly work only with foam but Dabble with fiberglass helmets here and there still

My best advice to people making foam or fiberglass armor:
Get plenty of reference and study the shapes, how they lay on the human body. Then take your own body into consideration and modify designs and plans to fit you.

Learn how to attach stuff to a body suit. Magnets, velcro, clasps, just try and be creative with what you have available, lots of toku armor have "floating" bits like thighs.

for Pepakura, the more HD the file the less work will be needed for finishing, like sanding. Learn to wet sand and be prepared to sand for days. Pep files can be modified for foam but it takes a bit more thought than mountain and valley folds in paper to get the shape right.

Foam is way better for armor and cosplaying on the cheap. Fun tot work with and very versatile. I recomend you check out EVIL TED and Punished Props on youtube, best Teachers for the basics
Aluminum foil and masking tape are the best for making shapes and patterns for foam. Cleanly wrap your part, tape it up, cut it off and lay it out flat for a pattern! I like to use balled up aluminum to make shapes, Its super helpful for hard to draw shapes. Need a foam ball? wrap a ball and cut it out, then use your new pattern on foam!

Last bit of advice, The basics will help you figure out where to go after. it takes time and practice, so practice, Fail, fuck up, persevere and succeed. You can do it!!! I make a full time living on foam fabrications currently, blows my mind.
If yall need more help or want to hire me, look for "TheNextDecade Props&Costumes" on facebook.
Good luck yo!!
>>
How do you guys travel with your tokusatsu helmets? especially if flying places?
>>
>>9459124
>not including the pain in the ass amount of times you have scale things up and down to find a good fit

>or the amount of time you spend connecting big pieces together before you can even cut them out and fold them
>>
>>9466310
I wear mine on the plane
>>
>>9466310
ive only had to do it once for a kamen rider cosplay.
i just used a duffel bag and lined the whole thing with padding.
>>
File: DangerousZombietest.jpg (59KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
DangerousZombietest.jpg
59KB, 720x960px
>>9466310
Took mine as a carry on. I also got this giant plastic chest with wheels for transporting my armor stuff

>>9466312
>or you could just freehand that shit and make something that fits you better than a pepakura file

:T

I did my first test fit of my Dangerous Zombie. still needs some tweaks here and there but it'll be ready by the end of the month.
>>
Has anyone tried worbla or whatever is the new trendy thing?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.