[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Not sure where to ask, but I'd really like to commission

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

Not sure where to ask, but I'd really like to commission metal armor for a cosplay. I saw some cool metal armors at AX, and also some good EVA foam ones, but I'd really prefer a metal one if possible.

Anyway, are there people that make metal armors on commission?

What's the ballpark cost?

Pic related, armor I want.
>>
>>9414945
Dropping in from the LARP thread.
Depends on what you're trying to get done, the quality you want, and how fast you want it.
Armoring is never cheap, though. A full harness, even at the lower end, can cost a couple thousand dollars easily. EVA or thermoplastic is almost always going to be the cheaper and more practical option.

There are a lot of smaller armorers out there who take commission work at fair prices. Id recommend getting in touch with your local chapter of the SCA (they usually have a facebook page) and asking around.
>>
>>9414945

Also dropping in from the larp thread

If you don't want the admittedly large cost of a custom made armour, you could go for this one (see also pic related)

https://www.dein-larp-shop.de/en/new-products/8376/body-armour-edward-shiny-plain?c=305

Be warned, it's armour made for larp, so it's not as strong/thick, not as heavy, not as durable, not as comfortable, but for the most part it's not as expensive and more than good enough for anything cosplay related.

The link shows the closes approximation to your depicted armour that I could find. Adding the dragon would be up to you, but if you craft a lot, I'm sure you'll manage.

For pauldrons, I would suggest these.

https://www.dein-larp-shop.de/en/armour/plate-und-chain-armour/shoulders-und-neckplates/3275/shoulder-plate-elias-small-shiny-plain?c=308

If getting them delivered by a German company seems a hassle, don't worry.
These things are all mass produced and sold by several retailers in both Europe and the US.
>>
i am the metal cosplayer you saw in anime expo?
>>
File: IMG_1682.jpg (145KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1682.jpg
145KB, 640x960px
>>
>>9415170
Don't think so but that looks badass.
>>
>>9414952
>>9415038
Thanks.
I'd be down to spend $1k on it if it's metal.
I was thinking someone would actually make it for me? Like custom made.

Otherwise I guess I'd have to buy pre-made and then modify somehow.
>>
>>9415239
depending on how much armor you want, you are going to be spending a hell of a lot more than 1k, especially for custom.
>>
>>9415239
i make metal cosplay
have a design in mind?
>>
>>9415249
look at the pic on my original post
Chest plate
Pauldrons
Helmet (not pictured)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUYZUShUd0c
>>
>>9414952
>>9415038
>>9414945
Looking at the armour now... is his chestplate fastened to his gorget? First time I've seen a design like this.
>>
>>9415297
Yep, I was making a foam version of it.
The body was made of 4 pieces.
Chest plate, back plate, frontal and back gorget.
I fastened it all with leather straps.

The I applied spray primer, left it outside to dry and my dog chewed it to pieces...
>>
>>9415304
Real sorry about the dog incident mate, but do you have any historical or practical backing up of this system? 'Cause right now I don't really understand why it wouldn't have been done IRL, yet I've never seen it.
>>
>>9415310
It's from Game of Thrones.
>>
>>9415317
Yeah, nah, I know. But is there any historical backing up/practical backing up of building an armour that way?

Or aren't you one of the usual armour-fags from the LARP part of /cgl/?
>>
>>9415321

I doubt the OP is anally autistic about the realism or historical accuracy of his armour like many of us larpers are.
That said, the gorget is normally worn beneath the breastplate, but I couldn't say if it was attached to it or not.
>>
>>9415179
*blocks your path*
>>
>>9414945
A friend of mine does quite a bit of metal armor, he may be the one you saw at AX. (Among other things I know he and his GF did Gilgamesh and Saber from F/SN, and he's also done the Daedric armor from Skyrim, as well as a bunch of Game of Thrones, Witcher, etc. stuff.)

He uses a combination of hammer and anvil and french wheel for main shaping, and I think he has a bead roller for details and edges. Those same things should work for most of the armor in your pic, except the dragon on the chest, which I'd make by casting it separately out of whatever metal is practical. (I'll almost guarantee that's how the TV crew did it.)

The only really hard part is the "ridges" on the helmet. The only solution I can think of would be to make them separately, TIG weld them on, and then grind the seam down and hide what's left with weathering. Again, that's most likely how they did it. (The only other thing I can think of is that they're resin or something and are just stuck on there and then hidden with paint and weathering.)
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.