[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk, seagulls Let's talk about things that can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: drfa71.png (427KB, 826x462px) Image search: [Google]
drfa71.png
427KB, 826x462px
Let's talk, seagulls
Let's talk about things that can't be changed in appearance for cosplay (such as height, skin tone, and I guess weight???)

Just how acceptable is it to go, can you be a tall Umaru? can you be a short Jojo?
Should we even care about this and let people just have fun?
>>
>>9390272
No.
>>
You can get taller by wearing heels or stilts. Even if you're 'too tall' for a character, you can create the illusion of the correct anatomy (Hobbit/Dwarf/bishojo characters)
You can tan or you can use whitening products (even though it's not as effective, it's a thing)
You can lose and gain weight. Or even pad, if you want.

If you really are all about accuracy. There's lots you can do. You just gotta put more hours in your preparation of your costume.

If you just wanna have fun and dress up like your beloved characters, I won't judge you. Not even if you don't go for accuracy. If you cosplay for fun it's supposed to be fun, don't care about what others say
>>
File: Screenshot_20170203-141829.jpg (514KB, 1292x1260px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170203-141829.jpg
514KB, 1292x1260px
"Fun" is not a legitimate reason to be cosplaying, you fucking autists.
>>
IMO you can be a different height or skin color (weight... not so much really. a little overweight is fine but nothing too much) if your costume is high quality to make up for the inaccuracies

Want to be a short Jojo? That's ok as long as you hit it out of the park with the construction and quality of the costume, as well as your makeup and wig.

I've been on this board for too fucking long, and I've noticed that overall, gulls will "forgive" a height or skin color inaccuracy if the quality of the cosplay is excellent.
>>
>>9390286
Yes it is, I can be a black women joseph joestar if I god damn want.
>>
>>9390297
You can. Just don't get surprised when people shit on you for not being an accurate cosplay. Surprise surprise, people like to see cosplays to be as close as possible to the actual characters. People like accuracy.

Suck it up and cosplay something that actually fits your body type, skin, height, etc. Be a realist.

And if you still wanna do something that wouldn't fit you then grow a thick skin instead of whining like a triggered tumblrina about how you are being oppressed and cosplay-shamed or whatever new buzzword of the day.
>>
>>9390382
Cosplay is suppose to be fun. :)
>>
>>9390294
This
It's the outfit that matters more.
>>
>>9390363
lol k
>>
>>9390294
>>9390382
Pretty much this; people like accuracy. Cosplay whatever your heart desires, but don't expect to get attention for it unless it's well-done. And, since cosplay in its nature is visual your specific looks still play a huge role. Being close in looks to the character helps forgive other potential construction inaccuracies, so people who don't have that bonus need to work extra hard to meet that same threshold.
I feel like looks/body/etc can make or break a cosplay more when you're in a group. If on your own you look passable but everyone else in the group is accurate, you're going to stick out. Likewise, if you have a short black female jojo group it'll be memorable and look better because you have multiple people with the same inaccuracies, so it kinda turns more into a "gimmick".

DESU with my own cosplay I prefer to match my character as much as possible. Being accurate is part of the magic for me, but different strokes for different folks.
>>
Honestly, height is never a huge issue. I've seen pictures of cosplayers in photoshoots looking great and then seeing them in real life and their height throws me through a loop. In terms of skin color, anime characters are Japanese usually and people don't shit on white people for cosplaying them? So why would you shit on black people for cosplaying them so long as their costumes are well made? I'd honestly rather see a really cute black cosplayer than the 800 lazy white girls throwing together something half-assed and calling it great.

Also, I'm losing weight and working on toning my body right now so I know that until I get to a better body size my choices are limited AND that I cannot afford to half-ass anything. I tried doing midriff cosplays my last con and while the construction turned out AMAZING I was comparing myself to others all weekend and felt like shit, whereas the cosplay I had that was less revealing and my body matched the character more I felt great in and had the most fun cosplaying. Really, at the end of the day we're drawn more to the characters that look like us so why not cosplay them? And to counter that, if you cosplay someone who you don't have the "right" body for, just have fun but remember that everyone's a critic and don't let that ruin your time.
>>
As a taller then average women, here are limits to what I can cosplay as reasonably? Other then tall/strong women characters, characters that are average height or their height is unremarked on tend to be the best. I can't do cutesy moe shit without looking like a joke, school uniforms are also with difficulty? Its hard not to look like a fetish.

I've also seen the problem in reverse for my friend who is a foot shorter then me. She can't cosplay taller characters no matter how well made the cosplay is without someone calling her a chibi version of the character.

At then end of the day, its just harder to cosplay outside your body type and height.
>>
>>9390382
Consider this: it's not that serious
>>
>>9390750
This, unless you're getting paid, who cares?
Be a black fat dwarf male bayonetta, as long as you're having fun
>>
>>9390272
I will never give a fuck what any of these bitches say. Cosplay whatever the hell you want and don't give two fucks about people who hiss at you for not being 'professional cosplay senpai'.
There is nothing more autistic than taking Dress Up too seriously.

Have fun OP. Have lots and lots of fun. Fuck these gulls.

...But people will make fun of you if you're shit, it's just the way of the world. Don't let it get you down and just have a good time being a spaz.
>>
>>9390549
I think taller cosplayers have it easier, because you can make a costume wider than it needs be if you want to create the illusion of shortness. Making yourself look taller is a lot more difficult.
>>
>>9390272
Someone's always gonna shit on you, so who cares? Wear what you want, do what you want. Just do it /well./ Be at the very least, good. You'll know you've done well when the only thing people can complain (not nitpick) about is "b-but this person's too fat/black/short/etc. to cosplay this!!" Because they're so triggered by people cosplaying for fun and not for glorious e-fame or profit.
>>
The only thing I'd take into consideration is height when it's a group cosplay, because with everyone standing next to each other I'd personally want heights to make sense in context of the characters. My best friend and I have basically accepted that even though she likes small, cute characters, and I like tall, badass ones, we will always have to cosplay the opposite when together.
>>
>>9390922
This exactly.

There's two sides to this, attention, e-fame and enjoying dressing up like your favorite characters and having a good fucking time.

If you're short, fat with an unfortunate face and a misshapen nose you can still have a good time, make new friends, find other cosplayers who are a part of your series. Take silly pictures and enjoy yourself. Unless you're bound and determined to get constant praise and be shared all over social media, and be invited to be a guest at every convention, you're going to be in for a rough time and a big reality check.

People like accuracy. But not everyone is accurate. Just do the best you can and have a good time.

I've been in this scene for a really long time and have seen it grow from a niche nerd hobby where everyone cosplayed the same 20 series and nobody knew wtf they were doing to it being mainstream and acceptable to talk about it and share pictures with "the normies" because they know what it is.

I never look like the characters I cosplay. I don't really care. I'll never be well known for cosplay and I don't really care about that either.
>>
>>9390906
...not really? if you're a tall girl cosplayer for example you're basically fucked unless you crossplay. a short person can always wear heels, but tall people unfortunately cannot cut their legs off
>>
>>9390973
My thoughts exactly. I'm not in it to be famous, I'm in it to meet people and I have fun creating my cosplays. If I few people like what I do then cool but I'm not looking to get paid from it. It's a hobby
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.