[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Be 25 >Talking on the phone with parents >Have a lightsaber

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

File: 1454141877004.jpg (54KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
1454141877004.jpg
54KB, 540x720px
>Be 25
>Talking on the phone with parents
>Have a lightsaber coming in the mail for a Travis Touchdown Cosplay
>Tell them about it
>"There comes a time to put away childish things son".

Does anyone else know this feel? How old is too old to cosplay? Should I just sell the saber?
>>
>>9359568
Do what makes you happy, anon.
>>
>>9359568
if you pay for your hobby with your own money i don't see why their opinions matter
>>
>>9359569
That's the plan. The jacket is coming in soon as well anyways.
>>
>>9359570
I guess. Do you ever wonder if maybe they know better though?
>>
File: 15 - 1.jpg (124KB, 426x639px) Image search: [Google]
15 - 1.jpg
124KB, 426x639px
Am I the only old seagull here?
>>
>>9359573
as long as your life doesn't revolve around cosplay to a point where it's getting in the way of your ability to function as a normal adult, i don't see why a harmless hobby matters, regardless of age
>>
>>9359573
Not always. Sometimes a parents advice is genuine, and sometimes they're just talking out of their ass. Once you're an adult you have the choice of what you want to listen to.
>>
>>9359573
Nayrt but honestly, they don't. Times have changed too much for their experiences to be all that relevant to your life as it is now, and there also is no reason to do things just because that's what has always been done.

Besides 25 isn't all that old.
>>
>>9359568
Yeah, like when you put them in a fucking home.
Do you have a job? Do you pay rent? They can fuck off.

>>9359573
No, because I know way too many old people that thing "I KNOW BETTER THAN YOU DO BECAUSE I'M OLD!" Being old doesn't make you smarter, or wiser, or more experienced than anybody else. It means you're fortunate enough to live in the 21st century, in an era with modern medicine and not be born in a war-torn or destitute part of the world.
>>
>>9359581
How old are you?

I just turned 28, and feel ancient around these kids.
>>
>>9359573
Nope. They come from a different time when adults didn't love things like video games and comics. Our generation is redefining what it means to be an adult. As long as you are still able to pay your bills and aren't neglecting children you can do whatever you want with your money. No More Heroes is part of a whole genre of games aimed at older teens and adults

If they complain that it's still a waste of money ask them how much they spend on golf and purses and other hobbies.
>>
>>9359604
Good explanation. I do pay rent and live independently. I'll be the otaku assassin man all weekend this summer and they can shove it.
>>
>25
>still living with parents
millycucks everyone!
>>
>>9359675
>talking on phone with parents.

Some people do talk to their parents occassionally after they move out you know.
>>
>>9359588
>Times have changed too much for their experiences to be all that relevant to your life as it is now, and there also is no reason to do things just because that's what has always been done.
>>9359589
>No, because I know way too many old people that thing "I KNOW BETTER THAN YOU DO BECAUSE I'M OLD!" Being old doesn't make you smarter, or wiser, or more experienced than anybody else.

Speaking as someone who is 40 but remembers being 25: I agree with this somewhat, but I think I agreed more when I was 25. It's true that shit changes too fast to keep up with. There are some things that are still the same though. People are still people. Most people (not all) gain common sense as they get older. Most people also gain a broader perspective, which is something that really only comes with time. So you're gaining knowledge, but some of it loses relevance over time while some of it stays relevant. I guess on the whole they're not a bunch more knowledgeable than a young adult, but young adults have knowledge older adults don't, and vice versa.

So I'd take someone's age as a factor, but I wouldn't discount them completely just for being old. I'd consider their willingness to keep up with the times, as well as the topic. I'd trust an older person's views on human nature. Not sure I'd trust their views on, say, investing.

I think older people look back and wish they'd spent some of their money on different things, and that's why they can sometimes be such pills about spending. Different perspective.
>>
>>9359604
>They come from a different time when adults didn't love things like video games and comics.
Depends on the age of the parents though. Not sure about comics, because they've been around for ages; but I've noticed that people old enough to remember a time before video games and anime are more apt to look down on them as a kids' thing.
>As long as you are still able to pay your bills and aren't neglecting children you can do whatever you want with your money.
You sure can. Just make sure you're taking a broad enough view of what "bills" entails and you're probably good. Future financial needs shouldn't be ignored just because the future is uncertain. At the same time, hey, you can't take it with you. Might as well enjoy some of it now.
>>
>>9359568
When I was 18 my parents made me donate all my Transformers and I regret it so much.

Funny though because now I'm into cosplay and they encourage the hobby.
>>
>>9359581
Just turned 34 and no sign of stopping cosplay. Too fucking old-style awesome! PAX East is my next target
>>
>>9359604
Our generation is redefining what it means to be an adult, and it's awesome. For some of us it basically just means we're kids with tons of play money and a drinking license.

Also, children are gross and overrated, I'm so glad the current generation of adults is mostly deciding that kids suck and aren't worth a minute of their time. Less little brats running around and ruining our fun.
>>
Parents told me not to wear my "cosplay clothes" to dinner, referring to the lolita coord I wore when we went to dinner for my birthday, right after a meet. I wasn't even wearing anything OTT or overly sweet, just some nice tartan and a black alice bow.

So going to wear Victorian Maiden of BTSSB to dinner tomorrow btw.
>>
>>9359568
Psht, do what makes you happy anon!
As long as you're being mature when you have to (paying the bills and such) i don't see anything wrong with liking "childish" things.
After all, we're all children inside in a way.
I'll continue making dollhouses,doll clothes,... as long as it makes me happy.
>>
>>9360090
Excellent, anon

>>9360077
Question for people who have been to both: Are smaller or larger cons better suited to the older crowd? Is it worth travelling to a larger con where there'll be more attendees out of college?
>>
>>9360086
>Less little brats running around and ruining our fun.
But there is just as many kids, they are just muslim now.
>>
>>9360407
I've never had a problem with either. I'm a bit of a more outgoing guy and I don't have a problem communicating my good or bad terms to people.
>>
>>9359581
I'm 30. Going to be a lot of oldfags with money soon enough.
>>
>>9359568
There comes a time to tell them to shove it up their ass
>>
>>9360412
what?
>>
>>9360443
shhh anon. they're being edgy. don't you know?
>>
I'll be 35 in April. Waiting on a saber from Vader's Vault, so you're not the only one.
>>
File: 1486107763762.jpg (63KB, 750x778px) Image search: [Google]
1486107763762.jpg
63KB, 750x778px
>>9359568
>be 23 old still-living-at-home-with-no-car-or-drivers-license
>make the most money in the household
>mom hasnt complained about my nerdy hobbys since high school

Being adult with pocket money is great
>>
>>9360739
are you me?
>>
File: Lonstermash.jpg (27KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
Lonstermash.jpg
27KB, 480x480px
>>9359568
Anon, Lonstermash who's famous for his Wolverine cosplays is 46. So, no you're never too old to cosplay.
>>
Some parents understand. Most do not.

I wasn't able to start going to cons until I moved out at 19 because I was genuinely not allowed to go. Even now, being 27 and working for several conventions, they do not understand. Sometimes you just gotta accept it.
>>
My gf rags on me about it much more than my parents do.
>>
As long as you are paying your bills, not borrowing money from your parents regularly, and functioning well as an adult then honestly take their opinion as a grain of salt.
>>
>>9360788
Do you spend more than half your salary on nerd activities?
Yes.
>>
My parents tell me they want me to "grow up at my own pace" which almost stings worse than if they just dismissed my nerdy bullshit altogether. The combination of love and concern in their voices whenever I visit and mention one of my hobbies is heartbreaking.
>>
>>9359589
>being old doesn't make you more experienced
Do you know what experienced means?
>>
File: WatchOutDontCutYourselfWithIt.jpg (29KB, 400x366px) Image search: [Google]
WatchOutDontCutYourselfWithIt.jpg
29KB, 400x366px
>>9359589
>>
>>9359568
Being both a cosplayer and propmaker, having parents that likes arts and crafts has saved me these kind of discussions when they see that I make a profit and have fun.
>>
>>9362954
Not that anon, but experience comes with having experienced things, duh. Contrast someone who's 50 and acts like a teen, with a well-travelled mid-20s who;s open and befriends people easily. Age is only a factor, how you live your life counts more.

>>9362976
Calling it "costume-making" in conversation can help. That way it becomes more about the activity and less about chinese cartoons and tentacles.
>>
File: bad-perm-650x500[1].jpg (64KB, 650x500px) Image search: [Google]
bad-perm-650x500[1].jpg
64KB, 650x500px
>>9362954
lived with some vietnamese people. in their culture being older = being more experienced.

I have curly hair, the 50 year old vietnamese woman just got her first perm, and I taught her how to take care of it. I've lived 25 years of my life with curly hair, and this was her first day. She ignored my advice since I was younger than her therefore "didnt know shit" and her hair ended up looking like shit. went from "playfully curly" to pic related in a week.

older =/= more experienced
>>
File: 1482407158514.png (203KB, 636x516px) Image search: [Google]
1482407158514.png
203KB, 636x516px
>23
>still live with mother
>have two jobs and a car
>room is full of weebtrash and cosplays
>gf moving in soon
>no complaints, would rather me stay home than struggle
Best mom
>>
I've officially surpassed both my mother and sister's records for avoiding being a single mom and have a very good job with money to spare.

Naturally, this means that they both hate me and threaten to kill themselves every time I buy something nice for myself.

>On that note, my mother keeps DESPERATELY trying to get me laid.
>What the fuck?
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.