[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm told /cgl/ is the best place to ask about corsets.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

So I'm told /cgl/ is the best place to ask about corsets. What do I need to know before investing in a corset, and what are the best places to get one? I've heard that bad corsets can harm you physically, and I certainly don't want to waste money on something that's just going to hurt me in the long run.
>>
>>9343918
So first, why are you corseting? Are waist training/tight lacing or do you just want a cute corset to wear with an outfit?

Orchard Corsets seems to be more for the former and Timeless Trends is good for both, but with more focus on the latter. Orchard Corsets actually has a blog up with some good tips for waist training/tight lacing so maybe go check those out.

I just like to wear cute corsets with outfits, so I just get something that'll fit (generally sizing is your natural waist - 2 in). I still get steel boned though because the plastic boned ones warp
>>
>>9344003
Actually, a few different reasons. I do want some cute corsets to wear, but I also want to do some light waist training. The problem is I have some back problems, I have weakness around my L4 and L5 discs, and I don't want try corseting wrong and potentially mess myself up worse. Some people have told me that corseting can help improve my posture, so I'm hoping it might actually help a bit with my back.
>>
>>9343918
>>9344028
Well keeping in mind that I'm not a physician, I will say corsets have been known to be very useful for back/upper body problems.
I started wearing a corset under my dress shirt at work because it helps with my bad shoulder. I used to come home in so much pain from using it and now it doesn't hurt at all as long as I wearing the corset.

Things you should know
-generally speaking, you get what you pay for, and corsets are worth paying for good quality
-a good quality corset will alway be made with steel bones, not plastic
-if you are big in the hip or bust area, look for corsets that have gores incorporated to help accommodate that shape
-look for corsets with a 'modesty panel', this is a flap that goes under the lacing in the back to cover any gap

As far as hurting yourself, really the only way to corset wrong is to go too tight too soon. That's why I say go for the modest panel, because it means you have 4-5" of room to go in and out.
Take your wait measurement and go for a corset about 2" smaller than that, usually that's a pretty good starting place.
>>
>>9343918
I'm still super brain dead where corsets are concerned.
I'm wanting something for wearing under my cosplay to just smooth out my shape and maybe an inch or two reduction. My main issue is I want a white, more elegant seeming corset over the dark, gothic schemes. I would like to wear it under everyday clothes as well. Under bust or smaller, as I have quite a short torso.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
>>
>>9344502
You want several different things.

You want shapewear for your cosplay needs. Unless you designed your cosplay with a corset in mind, it will be bulky and look weird

You want a decorative corset for wearing on top of your clothes. A decorative corset will generally have details that make it ill suited for wearing under "everyday" clothes.

As previous anon said Orchard Corsets and Timeless Trends are about as good as it gets for off the rack corsets. Go look at their fitting guides to figure out the best one for you.
>>
>>9344795
Oh I plan on fitting all cosplays to the corset, so I'll be shelving old cosplays and making all new ones while wearing itm
Sorry for the confusion though, I didnt want white for the purpose of wearing it outside if my clothes. I prefer lightly coloured undergarments as a general rule of thumb, so white or fleshy would be best.

Ill check out the shops, thanks!
>>
>>9344795
Look at the brand Rebel Madness, some of their shorter corsets might be your liking.
>>
>>9344028
I've heard that corsets can be good for back issues like this, but they can also be bad. If you see a chiropractor maybe ask them for an opinion as well?

Oh, one more recommendation, Damsel in This Dress has cute stuff and will do customs.
>>
>>9343918

>Sorry for the incoming blog post

I tightlace for fashion, and also wear my corsets fairly regularly for back issues (I have a slipped disc, so wearing the corset pulls the weight off my spine and onto the corset, which is helpful for when I know I'm going to be on my feet all day or doing a lot of walking).

If you're wanting to wear a corset for back problems, make sure to consult with a doctor first. Some back problems lend themselves better to corseting than others, and your doctor will know. A properly fitting corset acts really similarly to medical back braces, like the hard plastic kind.

Lucy's Corsetry has a really good article on how to talk to your doctor about corsets, I would recommend reading it. Her blog is also probably the best for general information about corsetry, and it's very accessible for people just getting into it.

The brands people have recommended are good for beginners, I personally own a couple corsets from Orchard and they're great for wearing under clothes. The cotton ones are very warm; the mesh are better for warmer weather, but need to be replaced periodically because the material gives out after a while. For another option that should be budget friendly if you're used to the costs involved with cosplay and lolita, I would very much recommend Isabella Corsetry, their corsets are more expensive, but also much higher quality than Timeless Trends and Orchard.

For sizing, it really depends on how much you want to lace down, and the amount of "squish" you have in your waist area. If you're very slim, go 2-4 inches smaller than your waist, but if you carry more fat around your middle you may want to go 4-6 inches instead. I'm a 24 in waist naturally, and my first corset was a 22 in. After about a month, I found it was bigger on me than I'd like. I keep it around to wear over clothes for fashion, but prefer my 20" and 18" corsets for actual tightlacing.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.