[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New England thread? I'm kind of new to this but would like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 5

New England thread?

I'm kind of new to this but would like some sort of thread like this. Discuss any cons or cosplay scenes in or nearby New England (East Canada and East NY welcome).

I can start. Anyone else going to Anime Boston?
>>
>>9315787
I might go to AB, but I doubt I'll make a weekend out of it.

Me and some buddies are saving up for a trip to Japan, and the past two years kinda sucked. Long lines, an increasingly irritated volunteer staff, and the crowd seems to get younger and younger.
>>
Seems like all the staple cons are running into big problems. Connecticon blew last year and why even go to AAC when they're threatening to kick people out for room parties?

I want to love AB since its run well but their venue sucks so bad... Security is just making it worse every year. When is it moving to BCEC?

Also Arisia is coming up this weekend, any gulls planning on going? Probably going to to for Saturday at least.
>>
Going to AB but just for Sat. I tend to enjoy the cons even if they seem to be getting more and more like line con but then again I'm usually there in lolita and usually there to shop and for panels.
>>
>>9315809
Anime Boston is stuck in a contract until 2025.
>>
>>9315787
Go to AB because it's local and I love their programming, but I'm getting frustrated with security and the Pru. (Able to deal with young folk pretty well.) As for it moving to BCEC, staff claims that it wouldn't work with how they run the con.
>>9315809
Yeah I haven't hit up CTcon in a few years because they overcharge their badges, young crowd, no places to eat, and so much theft.

Portcon is good for parties/socializing but there is still a prominent young crowd. Don't do Animaine. It's a staff circle jerk, and in a tiny hotel.
>>
Why does the NE Cosplay Community suck so fucking much?

>>9315787
I'm going to Pax East, as Oscar Of Astora from Dark Souls.

AB as well, my current lineup being Big Boss from Peace Walker, Oscar Of Astora, and Ash from Evil Dead 2
>>
>>9315809
BCEC has the same security mandates actually... it just sucks a lot less because they get to use more staff and machines.

It really grinds my gears that Anime Boston and PAX East are the only MA cons that have to follow these stupid security theater rules. No other convention seems to have to confirm to this bullshit... only nerd cons.
>>
Are there cosplay or vidya/weeb groups in NE or sites for meeting people like that? Also could you make friends or meet people at a con? I ask because a friend of mine who told me he would go with me got a job in NC. Its my first and would have been his first.

>>9316814 Yeah, I spent a bit of time just now looking for a NE Cosplay Community online, though I'm a bit new to it.

>>9315801
>>9315809

Uh oh. Too bad I already committed.

>>9316323
I'm in Western Mass so nothing is near, but hopefully the programming is good.
>>
>>9315787
Heading to AB myself. Last year was going to be my last with how poorly everything was handled. But the theme this year made me hopeful for some fun stuff. Maybe some decent nostalgia guests. Guess I'm a sucker for punishment

>>9316814
Well I'm located in Mass and tend to find the one giant meetup group here the drama starters. Can't go a day without them starting some sort of bullshit, or fucking someone over and airing it all over the place..Their events blow, and their bullshit spills over into cons.
>>
>>9316030
Damn I thought it was 2020. One of the big selling features about AB for me was that the mall was kinda an extension of the convention, but the prudential managed to kill that.
>>9315809
The biggest issue with CTCon last year was the convention center changed hands/they tried a new strategy to deter drunk normies just there for riverfest. But, now that Hartford is essentially broke they can't afford to run riverfest and things might be a little smoother this time around. Also, pre-registration worked like a dream: I think they underprepared for the influx of people they got during the main con. I preregistered and had an awesome time personally, but I get there were issues.
As for AAC the hotel changed hands so y'all are fucked unless they change location. AAC has turned into a lot of the same imo anyways, unless you specifically know people you only see that weekend it gets boring quickly.
>>
>>9318385
Also >>9316323
CTCon actually has had decent food recently due to a food truck festival running concurrently. No word on whether that's extended to this year though.

Alright I'm done defending my shitty home con. I don't think AB would be large enough to fill the BCEC, they would have too much floor space and not enough panel space.
>>
>>9318385
True the Pru are going out of their way to fuck over anyone that isn't their preferred shopper/ the apartment owners upstairs

Had one of their security guys try to force us to walk around the outside to get into our hotel the Sheraton....At the damn Sheraton/Pru entrance. Though I heard the Sheraton put an end to that once complaints reached them. Guess they weren't too gungho on the whole screwing over their guests part to suit the Pru's wants
>>
>>9318414
At least the Sheraton stepped in. I don't get why the Pru has a giant stick up their ass especially since conventions are known for increasing revenue around local businesses.
I was so disappointed with the Sheraton last time I booked, amenities-wise and even room-wise it was low-end for what you pay. That and the absurd parking. It's almost like the Prudential doesn't want out-of-towners
>>
I'm curious about that BL convention that will be in Rhode Island (it feels like time flew since it was announced), it'd be nice to be around an older crowd but simultaneously it could be filled with wackjobs and it's also being hosted by DMG.
>>
>>9318393
Thanks for the CTcon update. Last time I went was 2014.
>>9318769
I wonder how this year will go with security checks and traffic flow. I know some people won't be coming this year because of the line being outdoors for hours? They even opened a side entrance on Dalton St for a bit.

>>9318772
I'm heading there. I like to try out new cons. I like how it is 18+, but there will always be degenerates to deal with. Their AA looks great.
>>
>>9318769
Because they want the 'right' kind of out of towners. It's why they stupidly threw out the food court for that overpriced Italian place.
They think it's gonna draw people in, when in reality if you're coming to Boston for Italian food you aren't going to head to the mall.

I feel you on the Sheraton, only reason I'm booking with them again is I got a great discount because of the bad room they put me in last year.
>>
>>9318835
Good luck with elevator hell, I kinda hate how the only stairs available at the Sheraton are technically meant to be "emergency exit". They didn't think that one through when they designed the hotel.
Also joke's on the Pru for not realizing all these congoers had to somehow afford getting to the con in the first place: some of those people are established adults that are now going to avoid the Pru and their shit attitudes.
>>
>>9319270
Well I mean the Pru fucked over all the workers with the Food Court thing. Truth be told, I don't see it making contract very well. I think it'll peak with opening and just sorta tap out from there.

I mean they are building a new food court though that's another I think 2 years out? So I think even the Pru understands removing it was a stupid decision
>>
>>9317878
What group?

I've kept my head down for a few years while I've been busy with school and work, but I'd like to get back into going to multiple cons a year and meeting people. The only con I've consistently attended recently is PAX East.
>>
>>9320790
They call themselves New England Cosplay Community. It's pretty much just a clique group that runs events in Boston. Not very good ones, they are just the only group that does them as they start shit with everyone to the point no one attempts.

Went to their picnic this year, nothing says look how cringe we are. Like blasting Anime Lady Gaga remixes across the Commons.There's plenty of other issues I kno of but I won't derail thread.
>>
>>9318772
I'm likely to stop by myself as RI has shit for all con wise. RICC is a massive clusterfuck every year as is. Heard they brought back Terror Con but I thought it was shut down cause of fraud or something like that.
>>
>>9318385
The rumor is the AAC hotel got bought by the company that owns the Katsu hotel... and after the shit that happened last year they cracked down. It doesn't make fiscal sense to the hotel to host the con if they have to spend a bunch of money fixing/replacing things that were broken by dumb drunk revelers.

As long as you don't get too rowdy, party it up, but the problem is a lot of the people getting fucked at cons don't know how to do it on the DL and are the reason why it all gets shut down.
>>
>>9324590
I think if I remember right, it was confirmed to the katsu owners. There was a letter sent out that I remember seeing with the new changeshade including who bought the hotel.
>>
>>9326505
Changes* the fuck auto correct
>>
>>9326506
Oh god, I feel you on this. I've had run ins with the guy. Don't forget he's a 'legit' Dj too
>>
>>9318385
>Also, pre-registration worked like a dream
Anon how
They merged the pre-reg and reg line in the fucking parking garage so you had to wait out with everyone in the heat for hours, it was a fucking nightmare.
>>
>>9326890
Holy shit really? I've not been in a while sounds miserable
>>
>>9327460
>>9326890
No they didn't. People just weren't smart enough to ask staff where the prereg line was. I even made my group get to the con super early because of the stories about the registration line and when we got there, staff immediately pointed us in the direction of the prereg line which was completely separate
>>
>>9327618
I literally walked into the con and found/asked head of registration where the line for prereg was because I never thought they would do something that stupid.
Then I got directed to the end of the parking garage, and asked how I got in without my badge, since apparently I shouldn't have been able to get in.
>>
>>9327618
>>9327819

Can you two fill us in more? Since you have varying account details I'm actually rather curious.

I remember standing in the line for prereg inside last I went. I only was outside cause my friend at the time hadn't and she didn't want to be left alone.
>>
>>9326890
Thursday Badge-pick up masterrace, friend
>>
Who /photoshootrainedouttoday/ here?
>>
>>9328858
>Go to thurs badge pickup '15, wait hours in muggy weather outdoors, friday the line is inside at least
>Go to friday badge pickup '16, wait hours in muggy weather outdoors
y
>>
Anyone gonna check out Terror Con? I know they've had issues in the past but I'm curious.
>>
Anyone going to NECC in Hanover? I'm thinking that MAYBE it won't be a complete disappointment, if only for the cosplay stuff.
>>
>>9334055
Anything NECC is a fucking nightmare don't kid yourself
>>
>>9334055
Don't do it. You'll only be met with second hand embarrassment and disappointment. I thought the same thing a year ago, that maybe it changed.
It didn't. Organizers and sheep-minded attendees both have attitudes and heads up asses despite how cringe their meetups are. Just look at their photos. You'll feel better that you didn't go.
>>
>>9334055
It's a pretty old school and tiny con, but for what it's worth, some pretty great cosplayers consistently show up.
>>
Any thoughts to AB's guest list with the retro theme year?
>>
>>9336532
PuffyAmi Yumi is neat, I'm in the right age group to remember watching their show as a kid. Couldn't care less about voice actors desu.
>>
>>9336562
Yea I almost never attend concerts but might go to theirs.
>>
>>9335254
We get it anon you hate them move on please
>>
>>9336575
To be fair they only answered the question put forth. And it's not like NECC is ever really viewed in positive light here.
>>
>>9328514
Different anon, but everyone I knew who came in on Friday said the lines were merged for a portion of the wait. Idk what the hell they were thinking, but something definitely got fucked up between Thursday night and Friday.
>>9328887
Thursday badge pickup went quickly last year. We were only outside for maybe 15 minutes. Fastest it's ever been, and I've been going since 2005. It's a July con, of course it's gonna be muggy. Just dress appropriately, not that big of a deal.
>>
>>9336748
I don't get it either, that just sounds like a congested nightmare. Maybe volunteers mishearing direction is my guess?
>>
Has anyone gone to the cosplay ice skating event in Boston? It seems like a fun thing to do for a day but most people who go look to be tumblrites.

Pic related.
>>
>>9337879
It's as boring/annoying as fuck as any other NECC event and filled with said types. Honestly I'd jut plan a get together with friends and go then.
>>
>>9336575
I think there may be some confusion because they were asking about New England Comic Con, not about the shitty cosplay community.
>>
>>9337953
^This Anon is right
>>9335254
>>9336575

>>9337879
Homestuck is, easily, the worst thing to happen to cosplay, if not, the internet as a whole.
>>
>>9337961

You, sir, are vastly underestimating the value of a containment fandom.
>>
>>9338095
If that's supposed to be a "containment fandom", it clearly didn't fucking work.
>>
>>9337961
2 edgy 4 me
>>
>>9338251
Spergy weebs tend to flock toward whatever is currently big and popular. There's always going to be some in every fandom but they mass in greater quantities in things like Homestuck, Undertale, Hetalia, etc which leaves less of them for you to encounter in other fandoms. You clearly have no idea what a containment fandom is, because it worked great while Homestuck was big.
>>
>>9338878
Doesn't Hussie also live in Boston? Or close by if I remember right. So it was sorta a perfect storm. I remember the blowout when AB said No homestuck related events. It's what started that dreadful Alternacon
>>
>>9338875
>facts are edgy
>>
>>9338925

Amherst area, yeah.
>>
>>9339259
Ahhh Amherst not surprised
>>
File: image.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
image.jpg
1B, 486x500px
I don't even go to cons in our area anymore because of how fucking tumblr everyone in New England has become. I'd rather save and spend that money on a better con out of town. On top of that, just how the cons are run and the drama within. I'm over spending over a grand for a weekend of disappointment and screeching Autists.
>>
My first con is gonna be Animu Boston. This isn't looking good based on what I'm hearing. Hope it goes well though.
>>
File: uconnlogo.png (1B, 486x500px)
uconnlogo.png
1B, 486x500px
Probably gonna go to U-Con at UConn next month as a friend got a table. Keeping my expectations pretty low, but I actually had a decent time last year, and a free con is a free con.
>>
>>9344033
What do they have there? I like meself some free cons
>>
>>9344033
I had no idea Uconn still did that. I went a few years ago but didn't stay very long, there wasn't much to do besides buying some manga and the AA barely had any anime related art for sale.
>>
>>9344042
I think they skipped one year while back because they couldn't get it organized, but yeah, they still do it.
>>9344036
It's pretty small, but for the size it has a decent size AA/vendor's (at least last year it did, anyway) . There were a few panels that were actually really fun, a few improv ones and an "Acting and Cosplay" one that I really liked. The dating game was pretty good as far as those things go (normally they're not really my thing).
Panels haven't been announced yet (I guess it's basically one girl running it this year because a lot of people graduated, hopefully it won't crash and burn) but they put updates in the U-Con @ Uconn facebook group.
I don't think it's worth a super-long drive, or paying for a hotel, but if you're not too far and have nothing else going on it's alright.
>>
>>9344055
Ah I might go check it out! U-conn is only about half an hour away, so it wouldn't hurt. Thanks anon!
>>
>>9343990

AB is most solid of the new England cons. Just be ready for six hours in line to get bag checked / metal detector / anal probed and you're fine.
>>
>>9343362
I'm getting to this point myself. I shouldn't have to constantly look over my shoulder because no one here can go a week without starting shit.
>>
>>9344055
Storrs is around 40 minutes from where I live, so it wouldn't be too bad to go up there. I've been to the campus a few times for concerts and they have some nice restaurants in their little plaza area.
>>
>>9344478
Yeah, my drive is usually around 45 minutes. It's definitely worth at least checking out for one day. I've never actually tried their "normal" restaurants, so that's good to know! The con is held in the student union, which actually has some decent choices for food (leagues above con center food, anyway, lol). But if it's not too cold and we want to get out of there for a bit, it's nice to have options.
>>
AB posted updates about security. Looks like metal detectors are here to stay. Linecon here we go.
>>
>>9350177
Kinda, they said wands this year guess they think it will speed things along. Also leaving the Sheraton entrance open all AA hours. No exit only shit like last year.

Mostly I'm hopeful they are truthful they are talking with Pru because they were awful this past year
>>
I was kinda hoping AB would bring some legit retro guests but I'm starting to doubt any effort.
>>
>>9355445
Who are you thinking of?
>>
>>9355774
Besides some of the English VAs, the only real "retro" guests are PuffyAmiYumi.
I'm just hoping this year they get the schedule up more than a week before the con.
>>
>>9355774
I was thinking like maybe something along the lines of Outlaw Star, Vash the Stampede, Berserk, Casts Not fucking Bleach. Hell throw some Dragon Ball our way.
>>
>>9355780
Same really, how can you plan around things if you have to wait last minute.
>>
>>9355783
You mean like how JYB voiced Vash the Stampede? That kinda retro?
>>
>>9357809

Nobody gives a fuck about western VAs
>>
>>9357809
>>9358025
^ That Don't be a smartass they are giving bare minimum after the shitshow that was last year.
>>
So now that Katsu is over, who's working on AB costumes? Probably just going to rewear stuff myself. Wish there were more photo spots besides the church.
>>
>>9318769
Is the parking at the Sheraton that bad? This is the first year I've got a friend driving in instead of taking the train.
>>
>>9363929
Overnight parking at the Sheraton is $53/day. I've never driven in so idk what a clusterfuck it is, but it's definitely way more expensive than just parking at a T station and riding the train in.
>>
>>9365209
Wait, you mean for hotel guests? If so, that's crazy considering how much you already pay for the room. I thought free parking would be the least they could offer after jacking up the room rate so high.
>>
>>9363929
>>9365209
It's fucking shit I was told it was free then come to check in lol nope
>>
>>9365216
>I was told it was free
Was this from looking it up on their website or personally calling them?

Either way is shit of course, but I'd be more surprised if someone said it over the phone and then someone else said something different on arrival, over there being some hidden fine print somewhere.
>>
>>9365209
I've always taken the train in but my friend doesn't have that option this year because he needs to drive someplace right when he leaves the con or something.
>>
>>9365220
When I booked last year over phone told free. So Idunno if reservations has different people or what. But I mean this year they've been terrors. I'm only staying with them again cause I got a discount further for a bad room last year. They applied the I guess? new deposit fee (I never had one before this con and they claimed new contract) But did it this month when I didn't really have money in the account not inform me whatsoever. (replaced right after still had to deal with fees) Tried my best explaining I didn't care they took the money just that it was a month and a half prior to my staying. Talked to corporate customer service find out that my reservation has no such deposit fee. So I mean I really have no idea on what's fine print or not for them. Only that I'm taking any other hotel after
>>
Really only go to CT CON now, even though it's pretty shit. Anime boston is just a little too crowded and not enough pay off (other then decent hot pot near by).

Getting a room for ct con this year though, even if I live 20 min away, I really just want to get fucked up and not worry about a driver this year. Honestly just waiting for my yearly connecticon thread to pop up.

As an aside: the anons I've met at all the meet ups have been pretty chill. Hope to see you all again and actually drink and party
>>
>>9315787
Let's forget about East NY. Tired of the cesspool of cosplayers the NYC cosplay community is dragging everywhere. I swear to God every con now its these fucking cosplayers and photographers yelling out roll calls before every fucking con and doing their Power Rangers, Suicide Squad, Defenders, and Spider-Verse shoots. There's a few people down there I don't mind, but the majority are horrible people now. Scumbags and social media leeches - both cosplayers and photographers.
>>
>>9373228

At least they have a community. I've never seen such a collection of hermits, autists, and antizocial weirdos as New England. We have some genuinely great cosplayers up here but you'd never know because nobody talks to each other. I meet more new Boston and NH people every year at Katsu than I do at any of our cons.
>>
I've heard some rumors about AAC having a problem with the hotel not wanting to host the con anymore, and potentially it not happening for 2017. Nothing official has been posted about 2017, so I'm starting to wonder if it may be true.
>>
>>9374392

Well the hotel went around busting parties, making up noise complaints, ending lobbycon.... I can see that.
>>
>>9373485
And those that do talk to each other are so busy back talking each other you hardly know whose in what drama. Seriously I want to expand my group but it's hell in Mass to find people that aren't in arguments/hating someone else
>>
>>9375583
Yah it was pretty clear the hotel was doing everything in its power to be as petty as possible and make things so difficult even getting around the con that the con would leave of its own volition rather than breaking contract and kicking them out. I've never seen a hotel be so incredibly rude and assholish to paying customers.
>>
>>9375605
We have Katsu to thank for it though don't we? Didn't AAc host hotel get bought by the same that have the gaylord, and changed the rules cause of all that happened at Katsu 2016?
>>
>>9375596

Seagulls have tried starting groups before but everything fizzles. Wonder if we should do a cgl AB meetup
>>
>>9374392
dates for 2017 were announced at the con last year and are already on the site, so not sure where you're getting that idea.
>>
>>9375635
I don't think we have enough presence honestly? We almost never have a NE thread as is, less around AB.
>>
File: P1200652.jpg (983KB, 1817x933px) Image search: [Google]
P1200652.jpg
983KB, 1817x933px
Anyone going to Northeast Comic Con? I'll be there today as beardless Big Boss.
>>
At UCon at UCONN, fairly busy in the AA/dealers but their panel and events schedule is very sparse. :/ anyone else here?
>>
>>9375609
That's the original rumor, but while the hotels ownership may have changed, what happened at katsu was not what drove changes. In talking to security staffers this past year, apparently in 2015 there was a couple of incidents, chief among them was some dude in a room party going on a raging bender that spilled onto the elevator and eventually the lobby where police became involved. And even then it took multiple officers to subdue him because apparently he was shrugging off the tasers with his crazy bath salts strength. In the end it was easier for AAC to cite the hotel management change and the issues that happened at Katsu, rather than own up to their own problems and issues with problem attendees.
>>
>>9378289
Ahh, that makes more sense. Thanks for the added info I can give it to people I know bitching about Katsu issues of why their fun was ruined.
>>
>>9377911
I wanted to go but it turned out to be the same weekend that I had a business trip.
>>
>>9378501
That all being said, it doesn't excuse the hotel staff from being absolutely raging assholes this past year to perfectly sane and behaved paying customers. Like it or not these people are still paying for the supposed excellent service and hospitality that your hotel and brand supposedly stands behind. Like both sides are at fault for varying reasons both in years past and this most recent year, but seriously fuck that hotel and it's management with a cold ass rusty pike.
>>
>>9378698
So chances are same attitude this year?
>>
>>9378701
Yeah I can't imagine them suddenly changing their tune or sandy vag attitude. Assuming of course there is an AAC this year.
>>
>>9379177
>>9375644
Already announced
>>
>>9379179
Whelp then yes, prepare to do battle with the rude ass hotel
>>
>>9378507
You didn't miss much. The con was run like shit this year.
-Schedule wasn't posted until 3 AM Friday
-Literally no events on Friday, con was listed as closing at 11 even though vendors/AA closed at 3 and there was nothing else so people showed up to nothing
-panels moved around last minute to another building in 15 degree weather
-Staff said there was "free parking on the weekend," never told anyone there was a basketball game, so free lots turned into pay lots
-there were like 10 panels total all weekend

Granted, it is a free con run by college students, but it was always done well in the past. The new people really dropped the ball.

It seems like everyone in Artist's Alley and vendors did pretty well, though -- probably because there was so little to do that people spent a lot longer in there than they normally would have done.
>>
>>9379614
That's too bad, hopefully if the new crew sticks around they'll overhaul things for the next one.
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.