[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of the recent costume pattern releases by commercial

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

What do you think of the recent costume pattern releases by commercial pattern companies (Simplicity, McCall's, Butterick, etc.)? A good trend or too late, too little?
>>
>>9303339
I wonder how accurate those pants are.
>>
Good for beginners. Part of the general trend towards making babies first costumes passable instead of hot messes. Convenient for things where you could pattern it yourself but sometimes just don't want to.

Best thing about it is that it means pattern and sewing companies are realizing cosplayers are their next big market. All the quilting grannies are dying off slowly and modify under 30 is picking it up, they all do costuming or some other handcraft entirely. People who DO quilt are moving towards more specialty markets, indie designers, and small local shops for their fabric, not buying 30 yards of Simplicity's quilt binding any more. So the trend towards more apparel-focused materials and tools should follow as the big three companies go for the new demographic. I've already noticed that JoAnn's has really stepped up some of their apparel choices in the last year or so, after spending a few years eliminating a lot of their colorways and products. There's some legitimately nice stuff there now.
>>
>>9303573
yes, even the quilting fabrics are nice and fresh.
>>
>>9303346
The hakama are the only part that seems worth it. Even then Yaya's version is the only Yaya pattern that seems worth it to me. I bought 3 when it was on sale because I hate drafting and storing hakama and would rather just cut out a new one every time I need it.

Amazing how Simplicity decides to go with Bleach theming well after both the anime and manga have ended. About 8 years too late.
>>
I really wonder if these are anywhere close to accurate. I know there are Japanese cosplay pattern books/magazines available that have really nice historical patterns.
>>
>>9303637
I'm pretty sure the folkwear pattern for hakama is accurate.
>>
Pretty handy. I've bought some men's costume patterns for my Bloodborne coat. But it's mostly because I don't know the line for men's garments and because I don't know how to draft my own patterns.
>>
>>9303637
i haven't seen the mccall's pattern, but the simplicity one is missing the backboard, so points off for that.

desu hakama don't even require a pattern. it's literally 2 rectangles with a U shape cut for the crotch. from there it's all pleating. there was (is?) a great freebie tutorial that was modifiable based on your waist measurement.

and if you really want a pattern, the folkwear version is excellent, plus includes the skirt and pants versions of hakama.
>>
>>9303989
A perfectly symmetrical U for crotch is exactly what's wrong with every fucking pair of bloomers I have ever bought. Don't you freaks have asses too? That's not how humans are shaped or should have pants cut.
>>
>>9303339
The way they did the cover is so insanely dorky holy shit lol
>>
>>9303997
To be fair, hakama were designed for medieval Japanese men, so they probably didn't have much in the way of asses.
>>
>>9303339
I just hope that the trend means they get rid of terrible 'lolita' and 'magic girl' patterns and actually put out decent cosplay patterns that don't look like sized-up versions of Disney store princess dresses. It's getting there, but there's a lot of room for improvement.
Right now, I'm just glad we don't have to go through the early 2000s hell of trawling through awful tutorials for gothic vampire lolita kimonos and yarn wigs. If they'd released the Bleach-inspired patterns back when Bleach was popular, that would have saved everyone a lot of trouble.
>>9303997
The Japanese trend for not having asses is one that has continued for centuries, anon.
>>
>>9303573
I'm still waiting on JoAnn or any major national chain to bring out solid bottomweight polyester or polyester/cotton blend fabrics in a wide array of colors, like twills or suitings. That's the day I'll move my fabric shopping back into physical stores.
>>
>>9304173
even if you don't have much butt, the curve for the front should be shallow and the back a bit deeper unless you hold you hips like you have a stick up your bum. because the halfway point doesn't fall in ther very center just from how we are made, and thus this drives me nuts.
Maybe I'm cranky because I have bloomers trying to cut me in half.
>>
I feel like they'd get more money (particularly from newer cosplayers) if these companies worked to release licensed patterns (especially flavour of the month stuff and sports anime, instead of borderline antique cosplays)
>>
>>9309827
They do though. The pattern companies are kinda sorta on top if it but this came out within fall 2016 rather than a year like licensed Disney patterns. Most of them are not licensed since you can't claim intellectual property of patterns, just printed images. Also flavor or the month is pretty terrible for business. Ballgown Ciel got a pattern only because 4 years later grandmas are still getting asked to make that shit for granddaughters who just found Black Butler on Netflix.

Also just because the pattern envelope is clearly referencing Bleach doesn't mean it's the only series that has hakama and kimono. They probably could have ditched that "Renji" and added a Kenshin or Samurai Champloo Jin among others.
>>
File: Trainer_Pattern_-_F_600_863_s.jpg (280KB, 600x863px) Image search: [Google]
Trainer_Pattern_-_F_600_863_s.jpg
280KB, 600x863px
>>9309850
>>
>>9303997
With hakama, that U is massive. If your ass is filling up that space you'd probably have a hard time just standing up and walking around.
>>
>>9303997
Kek I tried to make bloomers like that following a tutorial... had to add a huge panel on each side just to accommodate my ass. The girl had included an explanation of width proportional to the waist, which apparently was for someone with no ass
>>
File: cosplaysimplicity.jpg (180KB, 512x591px) Image search: [Google]
cosplaysimplicity.jpg
180KB, 512x591px
Gunna just post in here instead of make a new thread,

any one else have issue's with simplicities pattern sizing? At this point I tend to ignore the measurements and just go about one to two sizes bigger than what I normally wear in ready to wear clothes, because when ever I use my measurements it wants me to make a way bigger pattern size and when I do make said pattern size I feel like I'm drowning in the clothes.

makes it a bitch making clothes for others. Going to have to make a few mock ups on the stuff I'm working on now.
>>
>>9311506
I had this problem with Simplicity's sailor fuku pattern by effay. (sp?) According to their size guide, I'm a size 12. It ended up being at least 3 sizes too big. I had to take the skirt apart and ended up making more like a size 8..
>>
>>9311509
General rule of thumb for me with simplicity is a couple sizes bigger than what I wear in store bought clothes, but a size or two smaller than their measurements tell me to make.
>>
>>9311506
These days I measure out the width of the pattern pieces then subtract the seam allowance as many times as needed to estimate the actual size of the bust and waist etc. Been burned by too many hours of wasted mockup time.
>>
>>9311506
>>9311561
for most patterns, the actual bust and waist are often printed directly on the pattern paper. some patterns have a section on the back of the package called "actual garment measurements" that also has some measurements like waist and skirt circumference. i use those measurements as opposed to the pattern sizing.

also, muslins are your friend if you don't know how much ease has been incorporated into the pattern in question.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.