[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Long time lurker here (8 years I think), though I've never

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

Long time lurker here (8 years I think), though I've never really cosplayed before.

I have a general question for everyone; what do you all think now that cosplay/nerd shit has gotten waaaaay more popular than it used to be?

And what sort of changes have you seen in the convention scene? Do you like it, do you hate it, do you notice any real difference at all?
>>
The cosplay community has gotten worse. More attention whores, more failed models who don't even know what they're dressed up as, just more egomaniacs in general.

The technology has gotten better, but that's about the only positive
>>
>>9294355
/thread

The "community" if you even want to call it that at this point gets worse since more and more awful people get into it, while cosplay gets more and more accessible.

Just think about shit like the D.Va jumpsuits and think about how much those would cost 10 years ago; basic bitches wouldn't even dream about spending money on it on a lark.
>>
>>9294360
>>9294355
Yep.

This is why Jfash and lolita are so much better than cosplay nowadays. Still expensive as fuck and basic normies aren't willing to dress up in "weird" stuff outside of cons.

Too many basic bitches cosplay just for the attention and nothing more.
>>
I'm going to be the devil's advocate and say cosplay is better in a lot of ways. As someone who got into the cosplay scene in the late 90s, I do miss the smaller, more insular community. But nowadays it's easier than ever to get materials, tutorials, and even premade costumes. Cosplay is a lot easier for people to get into nowadays, and that plus the mainstream acceptance has meant that more people are into it. You know what that means? More people to befriend and admire and talk craft with. If the tiny fraction of attention-grabbing boobtastic female cosplayers bothers you so much that it's impacting your enjoyment of cosplay, then why are you even still here? It's not like cosplay hasn't always had a segment that uses sex appeal to get attention. Am I the only one who remembers Alisachan and Francesca Dani? They didn't make money the way that Jessica Nigri and others do nowadays, but they were definitely along the same vein.

TL;DR: I'll happily take my expanded resources over a smaller tighter community.
>>
>>9294355
This desu. The good part is that there's much more and better resources, so it's gotten easier but there are also higher standards. The bad part is that it's now a stepping stone for wannabe models and camgirls who realized that using their body to get money from regular guys is too demeaning for too little pay, so they squeeze their fake tits into a bought flavor of the month skimpy costume and rake in the male nerd attention without even having to go fully nude.

>>9294364
Lolita/most Jfash also isn't sexy or appealing to the average guy so aside from the occasional creepy sissy, we don't get JNig types who use it and the community as a way to leech off thirsty neckbeard money. Our famewhores can be annoying but they're only trying to appeal to other lolita/Jfash enthusiasts, so they're on a much smaller scale.

Although imo cosplay/jfash isn't totally comparable. Except for the subset of people who mostly cosplay to be cute and wear fancy clothes, it's not like cosplayers who are sick of the cosplay community can move over to Jfash like it's the same thing.
>>
>>9294398
but anon, if lots of other people cosplay too then what makes me a super special snowflake????

more seriously, I've been in cosplay for years and I say the more the merrier. sure more accessability means more famewhores, but it also means lots more generally earnest people who get to join in the fun.
>>
>>9294295
Tons of skimpy cosplays by cosplayers/model who then whine about not being respected for their craft/art and only sexualized, while promoting their patrons for more sexy photos.
>>
>>9294295
Talentless photographers flooding the scene charging shit prices while practicing their craft. They may get one or two lucky photos every once in a while but otherwise their photos are usually shit. Underexposed, overexposed, high black or low white levels, shit composition
>>
>>9294471
I agree. I actually think the reason things are bad are because of the people that really thought cosplay would stay this niche hobby forever. Things gain popularity and, yes, that will bring famewhores and people that are only in it for the attention but who really cares?

The fact that there are more resources available and that I can connect with people that I wouldn't have been able to years ago is more than enough to overshadow the negatives. With anything, the cosplay community is what you make it. If you choose to spend all your time complaining about other people, you're probably not in it for the right reasons either.
>>
>>9294295
I've been going to conventions for 15 years now, and cosplay seems to always be getting more popular. While the anime trend is cooling, the rise of superhero movies is making up for that.

>And what sort of changes have you seen in the convention scene? Do you like it, do you hate it, do you notice any real difference at all?

The main difference I've noticed is very vocal SJWs coming out of the woodwork and demanding that conventions change to support their political views and intolerance. That includes them demanding that cosplay be a welcoming place, free from criticism, for their terrible costumes and disgusting out-of-shape bodies.

Of course, "free from criticism" only goes one way with them - they'll loudly call out anything they dislike, and demand people be banned for behaving in ways they don't approve of.

It's like someone invited your nosy grandmother and her clucking friends to come to con.
>>
>>9294295
I feel like we live in a different world. Cosplay is far from popular.

>>9294407
The normies I've talked to about this prefer lolita and jfashion, they don't like it but generally accept it as alt fashion. Just slightly weirder than goths etc. But when they think of cosplay they picture young adults role-playing in a costume, something normies stopped doing when they were 10.
>>
>>9294295
idk where you are from, but in the states, cosplay is WAAAAAY LESS popular than it used to be.
>>
File: IMG_8106.jpg (58KB, 583x331px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8106.jpg
58KB, 583x331px
Kids in the 70s and 80s grew up with Star Wars, comics, super hero cartoons, the beginning of gaming and all of the nerdier stuff. When they grew up and had kids they probably introduced those things to their kids. I would say most of their kids are in their early-mid 20s now. They have money to go to conventions, have more information and resources available to start making better costumes and props, buy merch, and really make the whole nerd culture thing explode into mainstream.
Models and businesses see this and cash in on it. Now if you have a decent pair of tits and know what Star Wars or Evangelion is, you could probably make a pretty decent living off of a cult following of thirsty nerds.
IMO, while I love the cosplay materials available and being able to recognize fellow fans in costume, the con and cosplay scene have become super over saturated. I wish conventions would start to stray away more from cosplay guests unless they're judging a costume competition or something.
>>
>>9294489
>If you choose to spend all your time complaining about other people, you're probably not in it for the right reasons either.

say it louder for the back
>>
>getting hair cut for con weekend
>overhear two teenagers in AREO sweaters, uggs and hipster glasses as the cherry on top
>"I am so addicted to this candy phone game, I'm the biggest nerd!"
>Leap from chair clearing 3 cotton top old ladies in single stride
>Yank curling iron from styling station brandishing it like a tiger whip
>Strangle her to death with the cord
>Save the world a little
I think you can tell where I diverged from reality, but it is what I really wanted to do.
>>
So the common complaint is that there are more attention whores.

But has the ratio changed? Has it gone from 1 attention whore for every 10 regular cosplayers, to say, 3 attentions whores for every 10 regular cosplayers? Or are you just seeing more attention whores because there are more cosplayers over all?
>>
>>9294577
Why u mad tho? No seriously, why do you personally get so pissed off over it?

(not that I don't completely understand the reaction inherently, just wondering how you'd word it)
>>
>>9294591
Games have been popular for centuries because they are fun. Liking a game or two is not inherently nerdy.
Prepy bitches like that make fun of real nerds in highschool and can make their school lives hell so it gives me an eye twitch to see those same snobs take the label voluntarily because it's popular .
>>
>>9294591
Not that anon, but it completely demeans and trivializes your hobby and interests. It's like someone making a shitty anime drawing on a piece of lined paper and legitimately thinking they're a manga artist.
>>
>>9294595
those girls didn't make fun of you in high school for being "nerdy," they did it because you say cringey shit like >>9294577
>>
>>9294598
I made fun of people like you because not knowing the difference between typing and saying something out loud is cringey.
>>
>>9294595
its been such a long time since ive heard the preppy/nerd Rivalry brought up in an unironic way
>>
>>9294599
>I used my keyboard so now I don't sound like a crappy 80s teen movie
>>
>>9294295

Google image search "2005 cosplay" and "2015 cosplay" and you'll see the difference
>>
>>9294295
Pros

>Costumes are infinitely better
>Much easier to get whatever products you want. (More people making more obscure shit. its longer just DBZ and naruto)
>Bigger community with more relative normies so its not just sperglords. People who can hold conversation now attend in greater number
>Lots of cons having attached concerts/shows

Cons

>Cons are so fucking packed. Jam as many people as possible into the hall
Interesting panels on the decline (More just "famous" people talking about themselves)
>Moved away from passion and into a business
>"Famous" people there just to make cash

All in all, I'd say attending cons got a lot worse (at least for me)
Way too many people, with lots of them not having proper hygiene , makes going to cons disgusting. Panels are mostly crap.
I love pictures and discussing costume construction though. I still go to the con near me, but dont actually go inside. Theres always tons of people outside (which negates the smell) and have fun talking to people there and seeing the costumes
>>
>>9294398
i have less of a problem with "famewhores" and more disappointment of the community as a whole. i hardly ever see people get stopped for pictures these days and most cosplayers that i run into don't seem very interested in striking up a conversation or meeting new people. the community itself seems less friendly and more results driven (via likes on the FB page or what have you). it's just kind of a bummer, because i've met some of my closest friends at cons, but i feel like that wouldn't happen these days.
>>
What I don't get and what has become an increasing trans is dressing up as something you don't enjoy only because it looks cool to you. The core of conventions is that people who enjoy the same things get together to celebrate and talk about it. Dressing up and having 0 idea about the show/game/movie/comic/cartoon the character you're dressed up as shows that you have no real reason to be there other than to show off yourself or look at things on a skin deep level. As dumb as it sounds, it makes me pissed to think about someone who can only accept something on the most basic level and doesn't put forth the effort to understand it more shows that they think of it as below them and that doesn't sit right with me.
>>
>>9294768
There needs to be more conventions. I'll say there needs to be more quality conventions. There's a lot of people who are around my age or younger that are undoubtedly responsible for the huge influx of con goers. I'd say a large majority of fans finally turned 18, got cars, got money, and are now able to go to conventions they couldn't previously attend. There are many people who grew up on anime before we realized it was anime. (Pokemon, Medabots, Digimon, Zoids, Cardcaptor Sakura, NGE... all those shows were commonplace between 3-12 p.m. for the 90's-2000's kids.)

I'm not surprised about the influx. It's more acceptable these days.
>>
>>9295005
3 p.m. and 12 a.m., my bad.
>>
>>9294642
Then you were a prep that wasn't picked on, good for you, but that still happens for real.
Only hipsters say unironically
>>
>>9294985
This has been bothering me too.
I stopped cosplaying 2 years ago due to personal reasons but just before I stopped I noticed this trend so much. When I cosplay I go as a character I like from a series I like, most of the time to see if I can meet fans or make new ones. The time before last 1 person stopped me and asked who I was and I had a great time chatting with them and telling them about the show.
Everyone else at that time or after just had 0 interest in what I was cosplaying and just wanted to take a selfie with me or ask if I have a Facebook page.
I guess times have changed and people just want to go to events, take pictures, do some shopping and not really do much else.
>>
>>9294495
I recently attended a convention where there was literally a panel titled "black female cosplayers aren't getting enough attention." This seemed a bit overboard to me.

If you're talking about the cosplay is not consent stuff, please just stop going to conventions. If you're an obnoxious loudmouth who feels they have to tell others why their cosplay is "wrong" just stop going to conventions.

Not every women who cosplays is an "attention whore." Some people treat cosplayers with less respect than a waitress at Hooters. A revealing cosplay is not an invitation to touch or make lewd comments. And if you don't like someone's cosplay, just don't say anything. How hard is that?
>>
>>9295229
Question: are black male cosplayers getting *too* much attention?
>>
>>9295229
but anon!!! they didn't like me when I was being an asshole :(((( and that makes me sad :'(((( they're such intolerant bitches >:((((

seriously, I get that SJWs are over the top, but the people who complain about them 95% of the time are just upset that people aren't putting up with their completely innapropriate behavior.

grabbing my ass when taking a pic with me? yeah, I'm going to call you an ass. calling someone fat/ugly/bad at cosplay within earshot? people are going to think you're a dick. being a 5 year old and glomping people/jump scaring/etc? yeah, people are going to be annoyed with you.

just because you're at a con doesn't mean people are suddenly okay with your embarrassing behavior. sorry if that's the political elite ruining your day.
>>
>>9295229
You CLEARLY don't understand what cosplay is, then.
>>
File: momokun.png (2MB, 1140x1260px) Image search: [Google]
momokun.png
2MB, 1140x1260px
>>9295287
You're right. It's an art form!
>>
File: 1478836042588.png (118KB, 327x333px) Image search: [Google]
1478836042588.png
118KB, 327x333px
>>9295313
this is so disgusting holy shit
>>
>>9294495
>The main difference I've noticed is very vocal SJWs coming out of the woodwork and demanding that conventions change to support their political views and intolerance. That includes them demanding that cosplay be a welcoming place, free from criticism, for their terrible costumes and disgusting out-of-shape bodies.

This.
Also I don't know when it happened but people no longer have any sense of personal responsibility what so ever. I don't know if it's just egos running high or what, but you can't even suggest anyone's costume is not that great anymore without someone saying "ITS FOR FUN" (especially irritating to hear from people who are trying to compete- don't bullshit yourself). Just admit your costume is bad, you don't need an excuse. It's nothing to be ashamed of unless you're unwilling to try to improve, which is also a huge issue I see at cons lately.
>>
>>9295313
Indeed. Cosplay *is* an art form. Performance art, to be specific.

idk how the pic you posted is relevant to anything, however.
>>
>>9295358
She's performing cosplay performance art, obviously.
>>
>>9295363
Who is?
>>
>>9295350
dude, saying "it's just for fun" is acknowledging that it's bad. it's just also telling you you sound like a prick and no one wants to listen to you whine.
>>
Since turning 21, I notice more things within the con scene thanks to the inclusion of booze. I'm sure there were tons of partying before my time but it seems like the past 5 years it's gotten to be more of that mindset than what a con could provide. There's even groups of social media that's dedicated to promoting it. When I bother to check it out, never anyone in cosplay and its just a typical party where dudes hand out drinks to the few ladies in prospect of getting a lay. Maybe I'm just getting old when I think rapping on a boat is cringey as fuck.
>>
>>9295392
>rapping on a boat is cringey as fuck
Oh no, it's definitely cringy
>>
>>9295392
What about the UK cons, where the drinking age is also the entry age?
>>
>>9295390
>saying "it's just for fun" is acknowledging that it's bad
Sometimes maybe, but for many people it's more like a defence mechanism against even constructive criticism. Like they said it's just for fun so nobody is allowed to give anything but compliments, but then they turn around and enter a contest with it.
>i-it's just for fun! I didn't want to win that stupid contest anyway!
>>
>>9295350
>>9295591
It's the lack of context that makes you seem like one of those people criticizing people's costumes when you aren't even wearing one yourself. Most people's first cosplay project ends up not looking great. That doesn't mean they didn't put any effort into it. Sometimes they just need time to develop their skills. This attitude that until you're a master at your craft don't bother wearing it in public needs to go. Unless people are asking for "constructive criticism" you should keep your opinion to yourself.

Also see >>9295262
>>
>>9295392
Getting smashed drunk in a hotel room is just a phase. People will realize that the next day at a con is more fun when you aren't hungover and you're mostly drinking with the people you came with. Then they'll figure out you can get together with you friends and drink the weekend before or the weekend after the con.
>>
>>9295582
>thinking uk comms abide drinking laws
lmao lad
>>
File: 1833c6iijqshrjpg.jpg (80KB, 800x549px) Image search: [Google]
1833c6iijqshrjpg.jpg
80KB, 800x549px
Long time lurker here, I don't really do cosplay or care about it anymore, I just come here for some related threads such as visual kei or other related subculture topics.
But anyway, I did cosplay when I was a kid/teen, late 90s/early 00.
From my own experience and how the modern conventions/events are, it seems cosplay has got so big now that you've got people actually making money off it, I think there's famous cosplayers that sell their signed posters and the like.
The possibility of living off cosplay probably attracts more and more people, who do it for the money first, and their hobby later. And this leads to a "normalization" of the cosplay world.
I believe it's neither good or bad, it's the natural course of things.
When I did cosplay back then, the sole fact of doing a cosplay, no matter how shitty it was, would mean you'd still get a sort of recognition from people.
The first time I went, I was maybe one of the less than 100 people doing cosplay, at a convention of thousands. I received extremely positive reaction from random people, and made friends with other cosplayers.
I assume this is still possible nowadays, especially because there are so many people doing it, and most of them actually do it for fun, not with business in mind. The bad side of it might be competitiveness, but again, not everyone might do it with a competition in mind.
The positive might outweight the negative.
>>
I went to my first anime convention in 1996. Back then hardly anyone cosplayed. The convention was all about binge watching anime in video rooms and maybe playing some tabletop games. To get anime on your own you either had to pay $40 for 2 episodes on a tape or figure out how to use mailing lists to get VHS tapes from fansubbers. We didn't have a concert with musicians from Japan and video game tournaments weren't as popular as tabletop games. The vendor room was also a huge draw because online shopping wasn't a thing at the time. LARP was also popular at the time but nobody dressed up for it.

Now video game tournaments are more popular that tabletop games. Nobody watches anime at conventions since we can see it any time online. Resources for cosplay are more accessible and more affordable.

Now that we can play video games online with our friends or watch anime at home, the con scene has become much more social. Panels replaced video rooms. The costume contest and dance became main events. Socializing with random strangers in hallways is much more common. Artist Alley is now about as big as the vendor hall.

I really can't think of anything that was better then or is worse now. Normies have always crashed conventions and acted like assholes because it was the popular thing to do in town that weekend. Having easier access to shopping and watching is amazing. Spending my time at a convention talking about anime and attending panels rather than sitting in a video room is better. I looked up the attendance numbers and the first year I went there was 800 people there. This year there was 30,0000.
>>
>>9294768
>Interesting panels on the decline (More just "famous" people talking about themselves)

That's the community's fault for not submitting ideas. Wanna know why your con is approving so many SJW, Tumblr and fangirl tier panels from Homestuck and Undertale? It's because those fans are actually passionate enough to get off their asses and put something together. Not to mention those fans are supportive enough to attend those panels in droves.

It seems like if we're not doing a "famous person talks about themselves" panel then we're running the same gamut of basic lecture style panels of "your first anime' or "cosplay 101". There are a good chunk of really good an unique panels (well at least on the CA circuit) that have developed strong fanbases so all is not lost
>>
>>9296506
Oooh, this is a good idea for a thread. I'd love to do panels on the history of some of the things a lot of anime reference. I college I had to give a presentation on Vampire Hunter D so I did it on the cross-cultural history of the vampire, with a bit on the anime trope of transformations.
>>
>>9294768

This is an accurate post, although I feel that for "relative normies" in the pro there should be "real normies" in the con. They drive up the con prices while diluting the quality of the product imo.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.