[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was gonna make this and hit up some cons in 2017. I have a group

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

Was gonna make this and hit up some cons in 2017. I have a group of friend's who are hitting up all the events along the east coast (US) and I'm gonna tag along.

But what would you suggest making it out of? I was thinking Wonderflex or something like it, for the armor. I have enough fabric from over the years for the rest.

Thoughts?
>>
I'd say that's the way to go. It's a lot easier to make formable plastic look like real armor than foam, imo
>>
>>9290361
That or fiber glass over primed evafoam. But that can be difficult for some people.
>>
OP here

I've never done chainmail before, and only just realized that it was part of the getup.

What would be advised to do in this situation?
I keep seeing things about making galvanized steel rings and stringing them together.
Any easier ways? Though I'd like it to not break if I move too quickly and it doesn't follow.
>>
>>9290400

Most hardcore: get steel wire, make your own rings, knit your maille

Easier but still looks good: buy aluminum rings from theringlord or some other site, knit your maille, enjoy the lightweight

Less labor intensive but visually a crapshoot: I've seen people fake it with various mesh fabrics or even knitting yarn in a loose gauge and then spray painting it. This is pretty variable on crafting and how much of it you see. Cheaper, though.
>>
>>9290341
If you have an abundance of time and aren't looking for 100% exactness, Medieval Collectibles can net you a decent off-the-shelf Elite Knight Set
>>
>>9290400
>>9290404
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKNZ5ynYL-s
The 10 minute mark has an interesting and good technique for chainmail
>>
I am really triggered by the OP's lack of gorget.
HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO KEEP THAT SHOULDER IN PLACE, REEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Sorry, had to unleash my triggeredness.
>>
>>9291464
With the two leather straps that crisscross his chest?
>>
>>9291492
Yes and no, look at those bindings, they get fucked over by any kind of contact. I'm triggered by that flaw in costume design.
>>
>>9291464
Those rings are huge as well
The whole costume looks really cheap.
I dont think many people make nice looking armor. It comes off fragile and cheap looking 99% of the time
>>
>chosen undead
good taste anon.
Thinkin about 3d printing dark souls armor.
Anybody got any experience makin 3d printing plastic lookin like metal? I plan on coating everything in resin
>>
File: Elite Knight.jpg (464KB, 940x1240px) Image search: [Google]
Elite Knight.jpg
464KB, 940x1240px
>>9290341

Okay, as someone who did this same costume I'll give you what advice I can.

First off, you can make this costume out of metal. This is less scary then it first sounds! Sheet metal is actually real cheap (on par with wonderflex or kydex) and while you need some special tools for cutting and filing it I never needed heat for any of my use of it. I didn't even need to weld anything, some good metal epoxy can join together whatever you need just fine.

Now, to be fair, I didn't make everything I am wearing in this picture. Just the knee armor and a new visor for the helmet. I was scared to try working with metal and didn't do it until I had no alternative. But knowing what I know now, I wish I had done it from the start, and the only reason I haven't redone more of the costume with stuff I made myself is because I already have these other armor pieces I bought and I don't want to go through the trouble of selling them since they work, they just are not entirely accurate.

To work with metal all you really need is the metal itself (16 gauge is thin enough to bend with your hands, 22 gauge is thick enough that you need a hammer to work it but is more sturdy) a dremal with metal cutting wheels, metal shears (very good at the 16, less good at the 22), hammers and things to pound on, and files to sand down the edges so you don't cut yourself on them. Oh, and work gloves.

You definitely want a gorget as >>9291464 mentions. Don't bother making one, this is something that no one but you will see and you want to fit right, so just buy one online. Actual style of it matters pretty little, as long as it has buckles or whatnot on the sides to attach your pauldron and such to. A pauldron is THE easiest way to hold up that pauldron so it doesn't fall down your shoulder, and relying on belts to hold it in place will kill your back. I made that mistake one, and trust me when I say you need the gorget. I cover my gorget with the brown neck wrap, so its easy to hide.
>>
>>9293620

Likewise, you are best off just buying your chainmail. Making it by hand will take you an unreasonably long time that you can better spend working on other parts of your costume, and it will probably look better storebought anyway. Steel lasts longer, but is heavy. Aluminum you are going to lose rings from the first few times you wear it (especially around the armpits) but is 1/3rd the weight and believe me that matters. I went with aluminum.

For leather utility belts and whatnot, make sure you get one that can hold both your wallet and your phone. Your tabard will make getting into your pant pockets a bit of a chore, and gloves won't do you any favors either. Get some Anyglove solution and rub it between the thumb and forefinger of the leather glove on your right hand. It will stain those parts darker, but now you can use your phone without taking off the glove! That's really handy, especially if you take a lot of con photos.

Optional but fun is you can find backpacks on Etsy designed like some of the shields from the game. I have a Grass Crest shield backpack I use for cons that can hold some of my emergency supplies and swag without carrying a plastic bag around and looking like a dope. Which works, because as we all know the grass crest shield is best left giving pass bonus anyway! You won't have great range of motion in armor, so do yourself a favor and replace the strap with a normal long leather waist belt with a buckle in the middle (cut the belt in half, flip everything around, adhere as you so desire). This makes the backpack strap no longer loop out of place, and means you can take off your backpack to swap things in and out without needing friend.

If you have any other specific questions, I'll answer as best as I can.
>>
Any tips on the scarf? I want to make this look as accurate as possible, but the Wonderflex wont come in until February, so I might as well start with the clothing portion.

I've seen a lot of scarf methods for this character, and I can't really decide what to do.
>>
>>9290341
Not op but interested in tips for making the helmet (Anri best waifu). Likely going for a foam and worbla combo but was wondering if anyone had a pattern or some sort to modify.
>>
OP here again.

wew. I've ordered some wonderflex and will borrow my buddy's chainmail from one of his old outfits. So far so good.

I was thinking of skipping out on using a ton of wonderflex for all the armor though.
Maybe use some old leg pads/elbow pads, or a football shoulder pad, and cheap $2 costume gloves; but paint over them to look like the metal.
It'd save like $80 in the long run. Would that make it noticeably worse or should I go for it?

(and a side question. Would this be complete-able before May? I haven't started piecing anything together)
>>
>>9295761

That would be noticeably worse, yes.

You can use some of that as a base, but unless you add stuff on top of it, its not going to look anything like armor.
>>
>>9296402
>>9295761
>>9290341

I'm a fan of these videos. They use craft foam, but if you add details to them with some kind of cardboard or wood, then paint over it, it looks really, really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5ivL3bHCDQ
>>
File: 1299693071823.jpg (48KB, 725x704px) Image search: [Google]
1299693071823.jpg
48KB, 725x704px
>>9291767
>OP looks cheap
>want to make elite knight armor and can only hope it comes out as good as OP's
>>
File: darksouls_statue_elite_knight.jpg (282KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
darksouls_statue_elite_knight.jpg
282KB, 1600x1067px
>>9301004
Damn man. Same

Gonna be trying to get this kinda look to mine.
Pic related
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.