[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What sewing machine do you guys use? Anything you like/dislike?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 17

What sewing machine do you guys use? Anything you like/dislike?

I'm buying myself a new one for Christmas so I'd like to hear what you guys have before I actually buy one.
>>
>tfw still using a hello kitty machine i got when i was 12
It still works, even though it is a franken-machine as it has parts from my grandma's old machine in it. The timing gets screwy sometimes but I'm too cheap to replace it
>>
File: brothersewingmachine.jpg (66KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
brothersewingmachine.jpg
66KB, 1000x1000px
I use a Brother sewing machine. Got it as a birthday gift and it works really good for me. I sew clothes and plushies with it. What all do you need your sewing machine to do? That might help you figure out what you need. Some people need some with basic sewing abilities and others need one that does more complicated things.
>>
>>9284628
Wow, that sewing machine looks so complicated :| So many functions!

I'll be making clothes and lunch bags so machine needs to handle:
>Denim
>Canvas
>Twill
>Nylon
>Velcro (this one I'm worried about)

I've been using an old sewing machine that can only stitch straight, and while it still works, I want a machine that can do at least a zigzag stitch, and do button hole making.
>>
>>9284666
You'll need both a new machine and accessories with it such as different types of presserfoots(for buttonhole making, zigzag, etc.), and needles(some fabrics need specific needles cause they're delicate or really thick).

Personally I recommend a singer sewing machine or a brother one. I hear janome is pretty good but I personally never had good luck with them.

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Feature-Rich-Stitches-Auto-Size-Buttonholes/dp/B000JQM1DE/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1481427486&sr=1-1&keywords=brother+sewing+machine

Perhaps something like this might work for you. There aren't as many functions on it as the one I have but it has a decent amount including zigzag. If that looks like a lot just read the manuals carefully and you'll be ok. iirc they even have instructional dvd's but I can't quite remember if they do or not. Hope this helps!
>>
>>9284448
I have an old model if the Janome Excel, it's okay like, considering its from the early 90's. It's a basic machine but it handles heavy duty sewing like a dream, tends to eat more delicate fabrics if I'm not careful. I think Janome are a fairly reliable brand, I'm on a fee sewing groups on Facebook, most people like using Janome or Brother machines, but favour Singer for overlocking machines. Good luck finding a nice machine anon, may your bobbin never run out of thread before you've noticed !
>>
An old ass Kenmore that my mom passed down to me. I love it. It does so much for being older than I am.
>>
I've got a Brother RH127 which is fantastic for beginners and comes with a bunch of basic accessories. Favorite thing is probably the top-loading bobbin so you don't have the hassle of guessing when it'll run out.
>>
File: machine.jpg (11KB, 435x435px) Image search: [Google]
machine.jpg
11KB, 435x435px
Pic related is mine. I've had it for maybe five or six years, and it's held up through a decent amount of shit. I've never had it serviced, either, which I really need to do at some point.

>>9284628
Goddamn all those functions. How many of them do you tend to use? I'm a sucker for ten thousand different functions, even though I only use straight, zig-zag, and buttonhole stitches.
>>
File: 71e+4r0HhNL._SL1500_.jpg (101KB, 1500x899px) Image search: [Google]
71e+4r0HhNL._SL1500_.jpg
101KB, 1500x899px
I've been sewing for something like 14 years and in that time have owned 4 machines and used at least 30 different. I worked in theater for a while, using industrial machines, Mostly Juki, some Janome. But this right here is my baby. I love it so much. When my last Brother bit the dust, I knew I had to have a machine that had a cut thread feature. After using Jukis with thread cutters for so long, I couldn't live without the feature at home any longer.
>>
File: 821.jpg (51KB, 744x645px) Image search: [Google]
821.jpg
51KB, 744x645px
I just upgraded my bernina 330 that I've had for a while to a 740 for my birthday this month. It should be coming in next week; I'm SO excited! The lady who sold it to me also threw two extra feet and marked the price down considerably.
>>
File: 1047189.jpg (171KB, 1200x759px) Image search: [Google]
1047189.jpg
171KB, 1200x759px
Got this as a gift and love it. My old machine had barely half the options as this one so it's nice to finally have something I can really use. The embroidery is a huge plus.
>>
I still use this old 1960 Viking I got about 14 years ago. It doesnt have any fancy options or anything but its incredibly durable and can do some pretty heavy duty sewing
>>
I have a brother cs6000i. I like it well enough and it's been great for the last 5 years. thinking of upgrading to a pfaff since I basically have a walking foot attached 24/7.
>>
>>9284448
I sew by hand cause I'm not a filthy fucking casual.
>>
>>9295466
>9295466
Would you like a special snowflake sticker or just some food stamps?
>>
>>9295466
Have fun with your dwindling eyesight and debilitating carpel tunnel.
>>
>>9295466
>bragging about not being able to afford a sewing machine and being essentially prehistoric???
>>
Any recommendations for a sewing machine and embroidery machine, especially all in one? I'm looking to do simple embroidery for my plushies.
>>
>>9295542
brother has one. I think it's a PITA to switch between the modes though.
>>
>>9295489
>>9295502
>>9295506
Stay mad handicapped sew-lets.

Seriously though hand stitching is not difficult and can be pretty relaxing, and makes construction of a garment far simpler than running everything through a glorified stapler.

More durable seams too.

And yes I am a man. But don't hit on me, silly girls!
>>
>>9295768
>handsewing
>More durable seams
choose one snow flack anon
>>
Any advice for buying my first overlocker/serger? The shop I went to only had one 4-spool Janome Mylock, wondering if this is an okay purchase or I should start searching online.

I'm only doing some light sewing, and a few months might go by without me sewing anything. Mainly getting one because I'm getting into stretch knits and like the finish of a serger and the rolled hems.

Another concern is whether or not I need a coverstitch (my home sewing machine is about ten, twenty years old and equally basic, so no double needle stitching either).
>>
>>9296147
Brother 1034D or 3034D.
>>
>>9295768
>bragging about spending hours on something that should take minutes

well congratulations i guess
>>
File: $_1.jpg (22KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
22KB, 400x266px
I have a Husqvarna Viking Freesia

I love it more than anything

The only problem I have with it is that the foot doesn't come up very far so it can be a bit hard to sew thicker fabrics.
>>
>>9296178

Thanks. Any particular reasoning?
>>
>>9295768
>lauding hand sewing
>shows picture of tailor BASTING a suit

you know nothing.
>>
>>9296354
least expensive machine that is great all around.

coverstitch is nice if you sew a lot of knits.
>>
>>9295768
dick or gtfo
>>
>>9296371

Makes great sense. Thanks again for helping out.
>>
>>9284448
Currently I hand sew but I have so many projects that a sewing machine would really come in handy. It would make things neater too.
However, I've had a few beginner sewing machines and they all suffer the same fate: the thread gets jammed in the cogs and the machine won't work anymore.
I can't afford a nicer one and I've tried learning how to use a machine off the internet but the thread thing always happens and I always have to dig it out of the machinery that it's just too much hassle to even try but I hate sewing by hand since it's slow and sloppier than machine sewing.
What can I do? And no, I'm not the poster from above.
>>
>>9296379
What brand/number of machine?
Also, if you keep on having projects, stop and save that money and you'll be able to afford the machine.
>>
>>9296384
Oh I don't mean big projects, I just recycle old clothes and scarves into totes, quilts and washbags. I don't actually spend any money on it, I'm not a cosplayer.

I had a cheap Singer and a Brother machine they marketed for 'mending' at a similar price point. I was told they would be fine for my needs.
>>
>>9296395
I would get this machine
>>9295427
It's usually under $200 (right now amazon has is for $149) and is a good machine.
>>
>>9296395

Well, if you're jamming up more than one machine (a few?), it certainly seems like there's something you're not doing right. Most thread jams are caused by either not pulling the starting tail away from you when you begin sewing a line, or putting in the bobbin backwards. You could google and see what else other people are doing wrong, make a list and make sure you're not doing any of the wrong things. Or join a sewing forum and ask for advice (cgl doesn't count, it's mostly salt first, lolitas/cosers second, sewing people second last, just above the /k/ /r9k/ crossboarders)

The machine(s) themselves might need repair if you've been jamming them a lot, take them in in person to your closest repair shop, just to be sure they're at least not the problem. At the same time you can also describe the problem to the dealer/technician, or, when the thread jams, just leave it in the machine, take it to the shop and show them the jam. The more experienced technicians will usually be able to tell you what you're doing wrong.

If you do buy another machine, do a physical shop instead and ask if they have classes that will help you familiarise yourself with the machine. I realise if you're out in the boondocks and buying off Amazon you might not be able to do this, but the physical lessons where someone shows you what to do, then watches you do things and tell you what you're doing wrong can be pretty helpful, so definitely try and get classes in person where the teacher can watch you sew, not online.

Saying this as someone who bought a cheap casual Singer so light and so cheap I can't fit a walking foot or a ruffle foot under it. Half my parts are plastic. It's been in the shop once or twice after I fucked it up, but I still use it. Brother's not exactly a shit brand either. It's worth finding out what the issue really is, or at least confirm it is indeed the sewing machine, instead of pouring money on a more expensive machine and then fucking that one up as well.
>>
>>9296370
>imblying basting is not an important part of garment construction
>>9296109
Seriously? Machine stitches are weak shit that unravel readily when broken. Backstitch isn't going anywhere, even if you cut a few stitches.
>>9296350
It's worth it to create an object of high quality.
>>9296373
>Image exceeds file size limits
;^)
>>
>>9296558
small dick confirmed, gtfo
>>
Anyone here have the Brohter Dream Machine? Seriously considering getting myself one because I like to embroider and need a new machine
>>
>>9296354
I have used both and own the latter. I have a friend whose entire wardrobe has been handmade since 2010 (barring shoes and underwear) and she has not had any issues with her 3034D. Good machine, decent price point, does everything you need.
>>
>>9296558
Seams =/= stitches....
>>
>>9296558
I mean backstitch adds an unnecessary amount of bulk and just like in handsewing there are ways of reinforcing the parts of your garment that at likely to break if there are any. See the nice part about machine sewing vs. Handstitching is that no person ever is gonna wait for you to handsew an garment when you can machine stitch it cleaner, faster, and more consistently than you can handsewing. Not to mention nearly no handstitching has the consistent tension and stitch length that machine sewing has. Brag all you want but you're just a special snowflake who can't they refuse to learn how to machine sew.
>>
>>9297938
>>9296371

Any advice on the 2340CV? One of the shops is doing a promo where it's only $30 more, wondering if I should just get that, or maybe the 2340CV is a more finicky machine?
>>
Brother CE1100PRW Project Runway Edition.
>>
>>9295144
Oh, you lucky bitch. I have a 330!
>>
I only have a toyota jns17ct
>>
>>9295400

I have this one as well and it's a stellar machine. I love the number of stitches it has. It came with a fuckton of feet for specialty work. I bought a ruffler foot and a cutting foot just cause and they work well too.
The cut thread and needle up or down is so wonderful. Plus the auto threader is a time saver too.
>>
>>9298202
worst machine I ever had. I took it back within the week. It kept jamming up, breaking the thread no matter how much I fixed the tension or switched thread type. I recommend a kenmore or janome.
>>
File: magnolia-7330.jpg (15KB, 450x347px) Image search: [Google]
magnolia-7330.jpg
15KB, 450x347px
My grandma's 40 year old Singer finally started falling apart, so I had to replace it with a Janome Magnolia 7330. I don't love it. You have to hold down the reverse stitch button to sew backwards. I also don't like the the stitch selection interface, after growing up on a touchscreen one.

I think I'm still mourning my old machine, it felt like an extension of my body. I mostly sew plushies, so a broad stitch selection isn't important to me.

I also have a Brother Innov-is NQ1400E. It's my first embroidery machine, so I don't have anything to compare it to. It's serving my needs fine for now, but I have a feeling I'll want a multi-needle machine in the future.

>>9295144
Oh man that freearm is makin me drool.
>>
>>9296482
Thanks for the detailed response Anon, I'll try my best
>>
>>
>>9299786

No worries. I'd just hate for you to think buying a more expensive machine is the way to go, only to find out later on a simple machine tune-up or putting in the bobbin backwards could have fixed things. Good luck and hope you get things sorted out.
>>
File: Bernina_Chicago5_3_enl.jpg (41KB, 700x686px) Image search: [Google]
Bernina_Chicago5_3_enl.jpg
41KB, 700x686px
bernina chicago 5
>>
What would say is a better brand; Brother or Bernina?
(For all around sewing)
>>
>>9303133
*what would you say
>>
>>9303133
Bernina sewing machines seem to be better reviewed these days than Brother, but I think the overall price point is more expensive. A lot of the reviews I read of the Brother sewing machines (not the overlockers so much) seem to say the quality is poor/there is no quality control even for the more expensive ones.
There isn't really such a s thing as 'better for all around sewing' as people's needs vary depending on the specifics of that statement. The fact that you are asking that question suggests you just need a basic entry level machine in which case I would actually recommend the Janome 2200XT
>>
>>9303378
I agree with this. I've worked with Brother, Bernina, Janome and White. Bernina is my favorite, but it's expensive (worth it if you're getting serious and have the money to spend). Brother is used a lot by newer sewers because of it's price point, which it's fine for beginners and people that can't afford other brands.

Janome would be my favorite brand, but you would have to buy multiple machines to do what a single Bernina can do. I specifically have an issue with thicker fabrics in my Janome, so it ends up sitting around not being used.

White machines aren't worth, not even close.
>>
>>9303388
I would also like to add that the cheaper Berninas, specifically I own a Bernette12, are good, but I don't have any control with my foot pedal. There's also no speed control for the needle on this one, so it either zooms through, or doesn't move at all.
>>
>>9303378
>>9303388
Thank you for help!
I'm currently in the middle of getting a new machine (my other one kicked the bucket it was a Janome) Where i work a lot of my coworkers swear by brother and say how fantastic it is but, my mother swears by bernina. I've used a bernina before and loved it. I've used brother machines for demos at work and they were okay.
but i think I'll go with a bernina :)
>>
I just bought an overlock machine/serger (Singer).
Can't sew but want to learn it so I'm taking a course this year.
Thought I'd get a serger so I can make pretty seams, I want my Lolita projects to be well finished so they last.
No idea if this was a good choice, but I also have my mums old Toshiba swing machine to fall back on.
Got all the Gosu Rori & Otome no Sewing mooks as well but I should probably start with basic easy stuff first before actually trying real projects.
Looking really forward to it though!
>>
>>9289997
Super late reply. I haven't been here for a couple weeks and I'm really sorry but I got it as a gift. I don't even use half the functions but I'm planing on taking up more large scale projects so I'll more than likely be using more of them. Some of the functions are just for decorative stitching(e.g. hearts, leaves, letters, etc.) to add detail to whatever you're working on. Generally I use the basic stitches and the zipper and zigzag functions. Atm I'm learning how to play with the rest and it's been quite the learning experience I suppose.
>>
>>9305414
You can't just make items with a serger, you know enough of the basics to know that, right? You'll need both your mum's machine and your new serger....
>>
>>9307903
Sorry, English is not my first language so maybe what I wrote was confusing?
But yes, I sort of know cause I've been looking at sewing and serging tutorials.
Never used a sewing nor a sergerbefore though.
Just wasn't sure a serger is a good choice cause I'm a total newbie, and I shouldn't start so soon with a serger maybe and because I don't even know I like sewing, or suck at it or not if that makes sense?
These machines are quite the investment, but not if you end up deciding you dislike sewing...then you just spent a bunch of cash you could have bought some brand with.
But I really want to like it, cause I have so many pretty patterns to use, things that could compliment my Lolita collection (hopefully).
I will first use my mums Toshiba machine to do easier, basic starter projects, and move to the serger later on since these classes are very relaxed and let you do whatever you like.
I wanted to bring my own machines,it's best to learn on the machine you own I think, so that is why I ordered a serger in advance (for a really good price).
I just love how beautiful those finished seams you make with the serger are, they also make your garment more durable so that's a good reason to own one.
>>
What would be a good starter sewing machine for sewing plushies and embroidery (for details of said plushies)? I haven't touched a machine in years but I plan on taking some basic courses at Jo-Ann's later. I've sewn a few basic things before and like one plush but that's it. I was mostly looking for a lasting machine that I could use from babby's first plush to more intermediate/advanced stuff before investing on a more expensive, professional one later on. Any recommendations would be appreciated!
>>
Anybody here regularly use a serger? Are they worth the money? I keep seeing ads for sergers and I've been entranced, I'd love to have edges finished that nicely
>>
>>9284448
Currently a full metal Singer from 1967, which only has super basic stitches, and a heavy duty Singer 4432 I got as a gift. I don't do much in terms of really fancy stitching, so between those two I've got most of what I need in terms of features. Just ordered a set of fancy presser feet for the heavy duty machine, so I'm excited to get those in. I need to take the older machine in; timing's getting weird on it and it's sticking real bad. I'm so scared of it costing a fortune to fix though.

>>9308086
I got a basic Singer 4-thread one a few years ago for $150 and it's a nice investment if you're gonna use it a lot. It's great for them finished edges, as well as great for knits and whatnot. I use mine a lot for putting kigurumis together and it makes the process so quick and easy. It's a bitch to deal with curves on one though, and they run much faster than a sewing machine.
>>
File: 81r4mG3e72L._SL1500_.jpg (134KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81r4mG3e72L._SL1500_.jpg
134KB, 1500x1500px
My first machine I owned was a shitty singer and it left a bad taste in my mouth with the brand. I've now owned a Brother LS2125i and I'm honestly amazed at what's it's done for a $60 machine.
>>9295400
>>9299599
I've been thinking about upgrading to this model actually. How well would you say it embroiders?
>>
File: 2nd.jpg (524KB, 1066x643px) Image search: [Google]
2nd.jpg
524KB, 1066x643px
>>9308422
>I've been thinking about upgrading to this model actually. How well would you say it embroiders?

>>9299599 here

It does a lovely job. I've embroidered initials, pictures, patches so far and it's been doing very well and mine is about 3 yrs old now.

Let me see if I can find you some pics of what I've done with it. I'll start with the earliest stuff.
This was my second try. The first try was with the white thread that came with the machine so it isn't interesting to look at. This try was after a got a box of thread for Christmas.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.