[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Artist Alley: General Mills

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 24

File: AA-123.jpg (121KB, 736x794px) Image search: [Google]
AA-123.jpg
121KB, 736x794px
old thread: >>9254336

>NEW! Frequently Asked Questions
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PpDyjw2LDxbupdvHMNsBUOBVB66Lzwf44RM1You1GDA/edit?usp=sharing
>Resources
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10uNmynwRn6CRc-OMqCeXmJwCNnEnd-vYi-7AQzSx74I/edit?usp=sharing
>Taobao/Alibaba services (broken link)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14zGSegr0b-429wZq5_xdMbE9hpLcXg8fqqe0OxnU2Yo/edit#gid=0
>Artist Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESQ-1h4IRUivbGNaxJFxXyDU1lSv26xTmMdH0sDX7sU/edit?usp=sharing
>How to order from Vograce (now with video on how to set up files)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18UxKnpgrmeb82NnW5e4YIEX-eZ3zHt178Mp6i0A5gME/edit?usp=sharing
>Convention List (WIP)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13o7hD5xS3sDqVptnTVGUlRae3ovEE-vPPST_QOrQwtM/
>>
Anyone hear from fanime yet?
>>
I'm planning to sell individual stickers, and what is your general preference on size? I have stuff that can range from 2"-4" but I'm just not sure on which size to go with.
>>
>>9283546
Says on the site they're finished judging but looks like the emails are going out in waves.
>>
>tfw panicking about show tomorrow
>didn't think about set up
>forgot to buy wire cubes
>finally got wire cubes tonight
>banner I have is too big for space
>whip up new banner

ughhhhhhh.time for bed.
>>
>>9283546
>>9283668
I'm hoping that they actually mean a couple of days when they say "the next few days". Hopefully we'll all have our results soon instead of having to wait til next year.

How are your holiday sales going, gulls? I recently set up an Etsy shop because I got tired of Storenvy in general and I'm shocked by just how much more traffic I'm getting.
>>
>>9283744
>How are your holiday sales going, gulls? I recently set up an Etsy shop because I got tired of Storenvy

Same. More traffic and more sales. Not a lot of sales, but really, any sales is better than what I was getting on Storenvy.
>>
>>9283744
I've sold more on etsy in 2 months then I have on storenvy in the last year and a half. that being said though, my sales have been dead these last two weeks. It's bummer.
>>
Thoughts on whether to make idol merch based on their original (and arguably most well-known) outfit or should I go with the different event outfits? I personally think the original outfits can be a hit-or-miss...
>>
>>9283752
>>9283763
I'm sorry to hear that! I hope sales pick up for both of you as people are doing a lot of last minute Christmas shopping. I've been getting steady sales since Black Friday.

>>9283775
I think that depends on the type of merch you're talking about but if you're doing something like charms, it would be really cute to do double-sided ones with the original outfits on the front and the event outfits on the back.
>>
Are charm priced based on the type (clear, double acrylic, etc.) and/or by size? Not sure on how to price my stuff since I have 2 inch acrylics and clears, both double sided. Clears are obviously more expensive to print but do customers care?
>>
>>9283826
I price my 2" clear charms at $12 if they have different designs on each side. I've seen them go for +/- $2, I think your detail level should factor into your pricing as well as embellishments.

As a customer, I usually don't buy non-clear charms unless the design is insanely cute. Something about the opaque plastic just looks cheap to me, not sure why.
>>
>>9283860
Thanks for the price range, I was stuck between $10 or $12.

And I felt the same way about clears but I've been slowly warming up to double board acrylics. I think it helps if the background is a nice pattern or gradient. I'm a total newbie to tabling so I might not be able to splurge on clears unfortunately.
>>
>>9283819
I was thinking about stickers or buttons actually! The fandom is huge but there's not much merch out there so I thought about going with the original outfits but I like the new album outfits more haha.
>>
>>9283894
Curious, what idol fandom are you talking about?
>>
>>9283955
Ensemble stars and idolish7.
>>
Does anyone have any experience selling soaps at conventions? I'm talking more about melt and pour soaps rather than making from scratch.
>>
Whats with MTAC? Last year they closed their AA reg super early, in October, so I missed out, but this year it is already December and they still haven't even announced when reg will open. They said on their facebook early December, know they are just saying sometime in december. Its so annoying that I have to keep checking every day.

>>9283575
any size honestly. I've bought stickers of all sizes. You might want to stick with smaller stickers, but have a few bigger ones too as an option.
>>
>>9283894
I'd probably go with the new ones, even if there's not much merch I'm guessing the majority (fan and official) would be the original outfits which gets boring even if they're good. At least, I've found that to be the case with other series.
>>
I asked in the last thread, but didn't get any replies so I'm not sure if anyone saw it.

Is there anyone here who does art vids on youtube? I'm looking to follow some more artists and thought it would be nice to support my fellow gulls.
>>
>>9283525
I want to buy a button making machine. what would be a good machine for someone just starting out and not sure if they want to make a serious business out of selling buttons yet? I do not want to spend a lot of money.
>>
>>9284356
Tecre is by far the most reliable brand of button maker. But most reliable button makers will cost you somewhere in the $200~$400 range. If you're just starting out and want to test buttons, just get them made through a vendor instead of buying a maker. Vograce does buttons as well as charms. There are a ton of Etsy sellers that will do short run button orders. That way, you can test the waters and decide if a button maker is something you want to invest in. It's unrealistic to "not want to spend a lot of money" when it comes to making a long term investment for your business.

What would you seagulls do in this situation? I got an order through my online store and packed and shipped the order. A day after shipping, I checked my messages and the buyer said they made a mistake on the shipping and actually wanted them to be mailed to a different address. (It was a friend for a gift and they wanted it to be mailed directly to them.) Considering that they sent me the message after I had already printed shipping labels and there's nothing I can do about it now because the package is at the post office - should I offer to send one to her friend on the condition that she mails me back the one that she received? Or should I tell her that since I fulfilled the order already, she should mail it to her friend on her own?
>>
>>9284380
I would give them both options actually. Like: you can either just purchase the charm again for your friend and return the other one for a refund on the item alone which gets it to your friend faster, or you can ship the item back when you get it and I will ship it to your friend when i receive it (up to you if you ask them to pay shipping again), or they can choose to re-mail it to their friend when they get it if they aren't in a rush. Unless they said they are in a huge rush chances are they will just mail it to their friend themselves.
>>
>>9284390
Thanks anon! This really helped. I just sent them a message offering both options and hopefully they'll let me know which they want. I think they just wanted to avoid the shipping holiday rush.
>>
>>9284292
I don't have experience selling them but I have bought a ton. I love it when they have punny fandom names.
>>
Does anyone have experience selling plush pillows online? I am trying to figure out if i could squish some of the air out of them to get them in a slightly smaller shipping box to save on shipping costs. I don't know if that would ruin the pillows though. They are anime face pillows and I wonder if the facial features would get all distorted.
>>
I just got my package in the mail for a 1.25" tecre machine. It was just filled with newspaper packaging, nothing else. It'd almost be hilarious if it didn't cost $245, the customer service phone call on monday will be fun.
>>
>>9284655
I just started carrying these in my store. I've been using poly mailers for them and depending on the weight of the stuffing costs me around $2.50~$3.50 to ship within the US - not counting the cost of packing materials.
>>
>>9284669
I have to ship from Canada to the US mostly. It costs so much if you want to add tracking onto your order. Its $17 to ship a small tracked package that weighs less than a kilo. I think my pillows would be to large for the small packet category unfortunately.
>>
>>9284662
That sucks anon, where did you order from?
>>
>>9284761
American Button Machines. Another AA friend bought her machine from them a few years back and recommended them. They have a lifetime warranty for their tecre machines.
>>
>>9284779
That's where I got mine from, iirc it was also packed with newspaper (and accidentally delivered to the house the street over with my same #, that was the PO's fault) but it was fine when it got here. Was yours damaged?
>>
>>9284783
Nope, got it delivered to my parents' place to make sure it wouldn't get fucked with at my apartment complex. The packaging box was completely intact.

I'm sure it was just a packaging error, I've heard ABM is a good company. I just hope it gets fixed quickly, I wanted to do button sets before the holidays are over.
>>
>>9284779
>>9284783
Yeah that's where I got mine, too. I'm sure it'll get resolved! But still, how the fuck you not notice you're shipping off an empty box when it should weigh like 20 lb...
>>
>>9284302
I don't post that often but I do try to upload speedpaints once every few months...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC54hXjVwfyJpvMmwpRcftcg
>>
>>9283546
Got rejected third year in a row.
My artwork is pretty ok, I get into most juried conventions I sign up to but for some reason I never get selected for fanime.
>>
Fanime emails are going out!

Didn't make it again this year sadly.
>>
Just got my Fanime acceptance letter. Who else will I be seeing there?
>>
>>9283546

Rejected again and feeling salty already looking at accepted/rejected artists
>>
Friend and I got on the fanime's waitlist... and judging by last year's waitlist, I don't think we're going to get in.
>>
>>9285388
whether or not people get in is going to depend entirely on when they get the payments system up. If they botch it and don't get it up till 3 weeks before the con again, almost no one will get off the waitlist. If they get it up this or next month, there's a very real chance the waitlist can move so.. i guess that's what everyone will keep an eye on..
>>
>>9285397
ohh is that why? All I knew from last year was that my friends and friend of friends were told at the very last second that they had a spot available and etc., didn't know it had to do with the payment system.

hopefully they get it set up sooner than later then.
>>
>>9285406
Yea, that's why. They can't move the waitlist unless people voluntarily drop their tables and because everyone is a sack of shit that never thinks about others no one ever preemptively tells cons they can't make it, so the only way tables open up is when they default on the payment. They opened payments really late, with the 1 or 2 week grace period they were only able to pull off one wave of waitlist movement like 2 weeks before the con or something and had like 20 empty tables. If they can fix that this year, should be less crap all around.
>>
got my fanime rejection email
feeling really bitter because i have no idea what their criteria was and why i didn't fit into it for a second time
>>
>>9285349
I got in, is the seating random or do we get to pick later?
>>
>>9285448
You get to pick them from an interactive map.
>>
>>9285432
The variance in quality is astonishing for Fanime. Given that I'm seeing artists who should've been wrecked in the fundamentals/execution criteria, it's gotta be the levels of subjectivity for appeal/creative that's nailing people.

And I'm saying this as someone who's managed to get in every time I've applied (did not apply this year).
>>
File: YuriCardWIP.jpg (90KB, 825x638px) Image search: [Google]
YuriCardWIP.jpg
90KB, 825x638px
Thinking of jumping on that Yuri train since I like it so much. Trying to give it my card style treatment.
>>
>>9285450
How does the ordering go? Random order or based on when they picked you?
>>
>>9285459
I think it's appeal too. After all skill, creativity and appeal have the same weight on the rubric. It looks like this year they must have taken appeal very seriously cause it looks like a lot of rejected people either don't do fanart as much or do fanart for mostly/only western fandoms. Could be wrong.
>>
>>9285459
How do you see who got in?
>>
>>9285464
there is literally no order everyone is dumped into the map at the same time good luck
>>
>>9285468
Just look at twitter under "fanime" and see the onslaught of joy and tears.

>>9285459
>>9285465
I really have no idea because I see a lot of artists who do beautiful anime fanart with tons of developed style/products getting rejected and then someone who does nothing but waist-up same-face original animu-style pinup girl prints getting in.
>>
>>9285477
it could also depend on what those artists showed in their image links. That artist with lots of great fanart might have only linked their original art or only their western fandoms, etc. There will always be a degree of WTF with jury
>>
>>9285465
Yeah, that's a good point. I do think they should at least release actual number of applicants publicly and the individual scores privately so people aren't completely miffed as to why they weren't accepted.

>>9285468
I did a quick scan on twitter. Not the most scientific of methods but when you see an accepted artist whose avatar's eyes are mildly skating about the skull it does bring up some questions.
>>
>>9285477
Exactly this. It makes me wonder too if FotM plays into submitted material.
>>
>>9285477
>mookie accepted
fanime is confusing. the twitter tag is hilarious to read at least
>>
How hard is it to sell at American cons if you are an international artist ? I mean just one or two. Cons in my country are few and far between so I've been considering applying for American cons, but is it even possible to do so without a proxy seller?
>>
> implying fanime "jury" isn't a fucking joke with no actual standards.

If you're using specific standards for a jury, that should come with a degree of consistency, which has been non-existent over that last three years.
>>
>>9285463
I like it! Though I noticed your sketches never look like the final painting, so I'm sure it'll look nice when your done.
>>
Are people salty about fanime because they keep getting rejected or are they salty because they got in at least once and didn't get in this year? (genuine question not trying to poke fun)
>>
File: IMG_20160915_120541.jpg (136KB, 665x665px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160915_120541.jpg
136KB, 665x665px
Mfw i didn't get in again
>>
>>9285583
I've gotten in every single time since they started doing juries except for this year. A bunch of my friends who were accepted last year were also waitlisted this year. Fanime's jury is truly mind boggling.
>>
>>9283525
Got accepted into fanime and this is going to be my first time attending.

Does anyone know if you must buy a member pass in addition to the artist alley table? That's what it sounds like from the way the e-mail was worded, but from all the cons I've been to, the attendance to the con has been included in price of the table.
>>
>>9285583
Neither? I'd be fine getting rejected if the accepted list was pretty godly, but I'm salty because I think I and other rejected artists are a lot better than many of the accepted artists.
>>
>>9285593
You have to buy it seperately along with the table cost later. It's weird I know.
>>
>>9285583
I think it's more the latter. Even accepted artists are upset because their friends didn't get in.

>>9285593
You have to buy a badge separately. That's also how you get in queue for hotel, if you need one.
>>
>>9285597
>>9285600
Thanks! I'll book that membership badge asap, I guess. I won't be needing a hotel though, thank God.

Does anyone know where the table sharing threads will be at? I'm willing to post up my fanime table to share if that's a thing.
>>
>>9285611
You're not allowed to share unless the person applied with you. But if you're willing to break the rules, send me an email, seagull.
>>
>>9285595

Post a piece of yours and let us judge.
>>
>>9285595
Just quickly glancing over who got it, it seemed like people with physical items to sell didn't need to have as high of an art level, maybe there's a set number of slots for physical goods.

Also, people with large fanbases seemed to have easier time getting in. A lot of the people who didn't get in with decent art didn't seem to have a large follower base.
>>
>>9285627
idk about you, I got in and I'm largely an unknown on the internet. (like to say I have decent art tho)
>>
>>9285616
Crap, they said on the website it's not possible to add another artist. Well, that's disappointing.
>>
>>9285627
It definitely seems like a lot of the rejected artists don't have a big following, regardless of art quality. I really hope that wasn't a factor because it would suck to not have your art just judged on its own merits.
>>
>>9285636
Well from a business standpoint it does make sense to bring more popular artists in, because some fans will go to a con JUST to buy stuff from their favorite artists. Also, having a packed AA makes a good impression too.
>>
>>9285627
They say there aren't allocated tables for crafters.

To be fair, crafters get fucked every year. Print artists outnumber them at least 3:1.
>>
>>9285641
As they should. Selling your weird vaguely named anime bath bombs or pine cone magnets are for craft fairs, not anime con AAs. Sorry, it's just the way I feel. Every time I see a table filled with knickknacks at an AA I'm at I always get annoyed/roll my eyes. Why? I honestly don't know, I just do.

If FA is allowing for print artists over crafters, then good on them.
>>
>>9285638
right but that wasn't on their rubric (not that fanime's rubric means shit) and then artists end up in the catch 22 of needing to get into cons to get more popular but can't get into cons without getting more popular
>>
>>9285627
Some people with very big bases didn't get in too, and many people with only 100-400 followers on twitter did get in. i don't think popularity matters. By numbers alone they said they got over 1000 applications, so thats 700+ waitlisters. A majority of that 700 people just aren't going to be popular so seeing a bunch of unpopular people complaining just fits the statistics?
>>
>>9285657
Yeah I don't think popularity has anything to do with it, it's a trait, but not a requirement. People got in/didn't get in because all due to the subjective tastes of the judge panel. (Whatever those are)
>>
>>9285627
I have a big fanbase, always sell well at Fanime, and didn't get in. I'm 50/50 on whether popularity should have an effect on judging, even though it would benefit me. It's good to give fresh artists a chance. But the way Fanime seems to deliberately curate for certain kinds of content (shiny desu anime, specifically) they ignore the many attendees who want to buy other content. Essentially, they are trying to curate their attendees. Last year I got in and had so many people complaining everything looked the same and they wished there was more varied (IE original, video game, and western) content rather than the same 10 popular animes. If Fanime actually paid attention to what people buy and would cater to that, rather than what they want people to want, I would feel a lot less miffed about getting passed on.
>>
>>9285738
I don't even mind if fanime only wants shinydesu.It's their aa, they should be able to curate it the way they want, especially if they're going to jury it. The problem is that this isn't communicated to artists at all, so it wastes a lot of time and energy for both the convention and the applying artists. If fanime had made those expectations clear when they introduced the jury system years ago, I feel like there would've been a lot less resentment and less people would've wasted their time.

It seemed like they rolled out a shitty system based on the whining of a handful of people and didn't bother to put in the resources or thought to make that system successful and professional, resulting in three consecutive years of absolute fuckery.
>>
>>9285738
>It's good to give fresh artists a chance

I will fully admit I'm a weeeee bit butthurt when I see the same pieces of art every year at some booths, when others makes 24 new pieces.
I don't know why it rubs me the wrong way.
>>
>>9285647

I'm okay with the idea of crafters just not at the expense of print artists. To be fair AA has gotten more "merch-y" in the last few years but I draw a hard line at things like bath bombs. I'd be more happy if there was a strict segmentation like some cons have for "small press rows" vs. AA. Maybe even just have a craft row but keep it separate and have a separate category when they apply. It's in between dealers and AA for me, I guess.
>>
>>9285627
A lot of my friends with a very small fanbase would get in, I don't think that's an issue
>>
>>9285641
isn't that good for the crafters who do get in? then it's less competition for the ones getting in, I don't often see crafters actually selling a lot of merch so it's actually smart for them to limit the amount of crafter dedicated tables. Ultimately, I think consumers are more interested in prints especially in 2d art-favoured con like Fanime
>>
Omg the guy who's terrible pony titty table was so slow last year he fell asleep for what seemed like hours got in again I'm going to scream. Imfuckingpossible considering the talent waitlisted
>>
Hey AA thread, I need your expertise. Has anyone here ordered a daki cover from artscau? How fast is their turnaround? I'm making one as an xmas present and wanted to make sure I'm not about to screw myself by relying on them.
>>
>>9285918
OK, I wasn't feeling really salty about getting rejected before but now I am. I got so pissed every time I walked by that guy's booth last year, like what the fuck at you even doing here. I would gladly take his spot, and I will even be conscious and friendly the whole time.
>>
>>9285918
>>9285926
Maybe some people get in cause of their connections...
>>
>>9285928
I was honestly thinking this, i was willing to imagine it a fluke / borderline bottom of the list last year but this year too when even more talented people were waitlisted? No fucking way lol
>>
>>9285918
Ok I sat behind this guy before years ago, he was either asleep or had vanished for most of the con. No tablecloth (he drew a lot on the vinyl table covers though), and just two small grid towers and a pile of prints on the table. Me and my friend introduced ourselves and he seemed very awkward... I don't think he had much traffic.
>>
Fanime 2017
>Professional animator gets rejected
>Shitty sketched on paper artist gets accepted

fanime pls
>>
>>9285925
4-6 weeks and i imagine they have a shitton of christmas orders
you might be a bit late anon
>>
I got in last year for Fanime but didn't this year, what the fuck went wrong
>>
>>9285940
Thanks for letting me know! I'll figure something out.
>>
>>9285939

Well shit, I don't want to have a booth of my dinky little fanart next to a professional animator. Talk about "Not gonna have a good time" feeling the whole con AND nobody buying from me. "Professionals" need to stick to CTN and actual Art Shows if that's the case.
Maybe don't have sketched on paper artists either, but I don't want no Brittney Lee or Glen Kean sharing an AA with me.
>>
>>9285928
This is also the big problem with Fanime's (or really, any) jury. It wouldn't take much to blow this case open, and Fanime would be ass-retarded to keep going with jury if there was evidence of corruption or favors.

>>9285918
I should be salty but I'm also nearly positive he didn't even break even last year. I mean, yeah, that's a wasted table, but at least now we know what the bottom of the barrel looks like.
>>
>>9285980
Anon, I hate to tell you this, but I went through a lot of the accepted artists' art today out of morbid curiosity, and a good number of them are professional artists in things like animation and storyboarding. I think it's unfair that pros are competing for what is supposed to be for non-professionals, but them's the breaks.
>>
>>9285989
Ugh.
>>
>>9285989
See also
>every major convention ever
Literally how scrub do you have to be to not know this.

"Professional" doesn't necessarily indicate higher quality. There are plenty of hobbyists, doujin artists, fanartists, etc. who offer the same level of art and merchandise as professionals. The difference isn't in skill but age, experience, hell, even general interest. You can have a job in something completely unrelated to art but still have prints that are as good as a professional's.

Events like CTN are for professionals to network, just like any career-specific convention. Anime cons are for fun and profit. We're at a point in anime cons where the competition is so fierce in terms of talent and traffic that if you're intimidated by sitting next to a professional, then just don't apply and save space for someone who's actually going to work to turn a profit.
>>
>>9285989
I'm technically a prof but I still do artist alleys. There are a lot of artists who qualify as prof who aren't actually all that experienced or popular and can't afford to buy a dealers booth, but still want that experience of interacting with people and making a little extra cash. If I was ever making enough cash from cons I'd definitely switch to dealers, but yeah, I don't even make the kind of big moneys some of my more technically "amateur" friends make.
>>
>>9285980

What about graphic designers? I've repeatedly been told my work (even basic shit like my price signs) has outstanding design skills and it's because I'm a professional. There are quite a few pro designers who sell in AA and no one seems to complain about them. I work in the anime industry too, so should I not be allowed to do AA?

AA is for artists regardless of pro or amateur status. Unless someone is making enough money to buy a dealer's booth or is incredibly established (to the point of almost being guest-tier) then AA is an open market. Fanart and selling at cons is a side job for lots of people.

Also, isn't pro row a thing?
>>
>>9285925
Don't order around Chinese new year, their print quality goes to shit.
>>
>>9285925
Also, if you're willing to shell out for express shipping, it takes the printing time (about a week when I did it) and then they overnighted it from Hong Kong to my place in Georgia, USA.
>>
>>9285533
I can never decide if I like their stuff or not. Like it's not awful but the colours always hurt my eyes
>>
>>9285936
This year he blamed it on a sinus infection, i wonder what he blamed it on previous years (other than slow ass sales). Actually kind of impressive since i knew people who were strapped to their table all weekend unable to get food or use the bathroom while this guy can get so little business he falls asleep.

>>9285928
If he's local he might have broken even, considering how he brags about eating at subway or mcdonalds to save money he probably makes a little profit. BAKA consider how many actually profitably, deserving artists got wait listed.
>>
>>9286041
About a week? Oh shit that's perfect. There is hope yet. Thank you so much anon!
>>
man, what is with all the bitchy Hamilton fans on AANI? It's not like anyone has seen it.
>>
>>9286162
The colors just get really muddy and washed out with neon accents. I used to like her old style of art. I think a lot of fan artists don't bother trying to learn color theory when it would help a lot.
>>
>>9286307
She's insanely popular though. I guess color theory doesn't matter to normies as long as it looks pretty.
>>
File: 20161212_103122.png (2MB, 1440x1754px) Image search: [Google]
20161212_103122.png
2MB, 1440x1754px
>>9286307
I decided to do a search since I don't know mookie's art. If this is it. Then yeah, I'm not feeling it. The details are to washed out.
>>
>>9286446
it would probably work if they would just put up the darkness of the lines omg
>>
>>9284662
So apparently ABM has a record saying the button machine was in the package prior to shipping. USPS fucked with it for some reason, so I'm sure this won't get solved before the holiday season is done.
>>
Speaking of "how did this person get accepted?".
momo-con said they it is mostly first come first serve with light jury. I think when you can't even cut out stickers neatly, you shouldn't be in aa. Or at the very least not attend large cons.
>>
>>9286446
I bought a couple keychains some months ago from her. 20$ both but when they arrived the art of the keychain was awful. Too light/white and a month ago she says on her Twitter "I'm gonna ordered those keychains again but from another factory". And now I have those faulty keychains.

I really like her art and I want to buy more but... that was wrong.
>>
>>9286300
What happened? All I've seen were some Hamilton products for SPS.

>>9286459
I hope everything gets sorte out, anon! I'' sorry you're dealing with this.
>>
>>9286493
wtf, most artists I've seen might get better quality keychains later on and that's understandable but when you flat out have faulty ones everyone I know will just put them up for half the original price
>>
>>9285980
This is such a sad mindset to me. I specifically don't work in the animation industry, but since the entirety of my income is from art, I am a professional artist. You should be aiming to compete with these people, not be mad about it. Otherwise, enjoy your dinky small local cons I guess.
>>
>>9286645
Ha, I was just thinking this too. I feel like even alongside pros, I have something to offer. If someone else is too busy crying about competition in a highly competitive field, maybe they should pick a different hobby.
>>
>>9286607
Those keychains were in pre-order but I think she should apologize about that. She sent them after seeing that they were wrong.
>>
>>9286652
While I do think that you should strive to be at that level, I also do think there's bound to be a gap between a professional and a person who draws as a hobby. I guess because if you draw for a living I don't think you should be easily surpassed by a hobbyist/amateur.
>>
>>9286669
I feel you on an idealistic level, but realistically that just isn't the case. There are tons of pro artists who "shouldn't" be pros because they get their jobs based more on who they know than any real skill. Networking is a part of being an artist too. And there are tons of "pro level" hobbyists who have extremely demanding day jobs yet draw at an obscenely high level.

So, you know, just deal with it basically. Put yourself out there, be the best you can be, and if you can't cut it at a big anime con maybe try smaller/local ones. It feels like a lot of online artists shoot for the moon and are devastated/feel like failures if they don't make it. There's an audience for everyone, but that doesn't mean your audience is the same as your favorite efamous anime artist or whatever.
>>
>>9286604
Thanks. The box was stamped "Received Without Contents" which is even better. ABM was able to resolve it, but USPS seriously managed to lose a 20lb hunk of metal.
>>
Might be a dumb question, but when ordering double sided clear charms from Vograce, do I have to make the files like, for example, for ZapCreatives? So that the lines match for both sides or can I just send the files as I want them printed and no mirroring at all?
>>
>>9286831
I just sent the single side art + dot for hole placement on two separate layers for my batch. As long as they know you're ordering clear double sided charms, you should be fine. I worked with Coco for reference.
>>
>>9286446
Is it weird that I find this art style really insecure...? Like she's trying to cover up/distract from errors
>>
Is there electricity at fanime AA?
>>
>>9286870
I get what you mean, in a way it's just a stylistic choice but this is the definition of over editing your finished picture

like why the blur. why the saturation.
>>
>>9286604
Some gal has similar looking key chains to another (basically the characters with a star behind them) this was pointed out that the star is part of the program. The person deleted their comment Andrea asked about the skin tone of the characters. It feels like a good old witch hunt
>>
>>9286878
nope. They don't allow use of their outlets either (at least that's what the AA rules state).
>>
>>9286888
My keychains were the ones that hers were being compared to. I didn't get involved on AANI because I didn't want to start trouble there and I know that stars are a really obvious motif for the musical.

But that person actually bought a keychain from me months ago and her initial keychain designs didn't feature the star until after, which does make me think it's a little questionable. Similar fanart ideas happen all the time and a ton of people have star shaped charms. If we had arrived at the same design completely independent of each other I wouldn't be feeling weird about this entire situation.

I actually didn't see any comments re: skin tone? What were people saying?
>>
>>9286943
lmao with that context I'd have to say that's shady. I definitely think it's hard to come up with "original" fan merch these days especially with charms when everyone and their mom does hanging charm scenario or clear terrarium designs. But knowing that person has bought your merch before is just...yikes...

On the topic of similar charm ideas I always get so salty when I see people ripping off some fresh and new way to design the compositions/accessory balance. I've always wanted to discuss it with the gulls in this thread about their opinions on it, but I feel like it would derail the thread so fast. Do any of you ever say something when you see a rando or mutual blatantly (and more often poorly) ripping off someone else's stuff? I did it once in the past and had a weird response but I guess it's to be expected when you point out someone's art looks extremely similar to preexisting merch.
>>
>>9286938
Can I bring my own backup power to power a laptop or monitor?
>>
>>9286943
thumb cramps was the skin color question 'why is peggy white'
>>
>>9287000
i've had mutuals half-mimic my charm designs before.
for some reason i'm a lot less defensive and protective of my merch than i am of my illustrations and characters.
i think it's because i make merch designs with shilling them out in mind, so i'm less attached to them?
>>
>>9287017
of course she did
classic paige
>>
>>9287005
Your question is too specific, email them directly for a definite answer
>>
You guys keep mentioning mookie and I could've sworn I heard the name before and then it dawned on me they were featured on the grapevine

http://artist-gossips.tumblr.com/post/125269632098/

>i went to otakon this weekend and met my favorite artist mookie for the first time i was so excited to buy her prints but when i went she was really rude. i get she has SA but SA doesnt mean you take 10 minutes ignoring me to talk to your friends and go on your phone while getting me what i bought. has anyone else ever bought stuff from the artist alley before with rude artists like this? is this a normal?

yikes
>>
>>9287114
I've seen her at a few east coast conventions, and she's almost always on her phone, not talking to anyone who stops at her booth. I ended up walking away without buying anything because she seemed so disinterested. I thought she was just ignoring me, thanks for the artist-gossips link. I wish she'd bring an outgoing friend so there would be someone to engage with potential customers.
>>
>>9287114
I've "seen her" at cons but I'm never sure if it's actually her, since I know she uses a lot of proxy sellers.
>>
>>9287149
she always has friends work for her while she shops around or cosplays, im surprised any con lets her in when shes breaking the rules like that
>>
>>9287018
Yeah that definitely makes sense! That's pretty shitty of your mutuals though jfc. I hope they stopped or came up with some of their own ideas for other merch.

>>9287114
I've heard my share of mookie stories but it's old aa stuff I heard from a year or two go. From what I understand she was very inconsiderate of others and an inconvenience during a summer con I think, but I could be wrong. I feel bad for anon who had this encounter with her. AA is tiring and all but it's shitty to make a fan or customer feel like crap, unintentional or not
>>
>>9287114
i don't even like mookie but also, artist-gossips, really
are you 13
>>
>>9287114
This is such a non-event to bitch about. Maybe the artist just didn't notice OP there? I bet they didn't even try to get her attention, since they don't mention it anywhere. God, tumblr babies are the worst.
>>
>>9287167
To be fair, unless your products is extremely unique and the mutuals monitor what you're making every second, it's actually hard to say that they're mimicing you. They could have gotten the same ideas, etc.
>>
>>9287183
>Maybe the artist just didn't notice OP there
I agree it's a really petty thing to go as far as to submit it to a tumblr, but she does this pretty regularly.
>>
File: kirby.png (178KB, 750x350px) Image search: [Google]
kirby.png
178KB, 750x350px
Hope it's cool to ask for some advice on charms.

Not sure if I should put in meta knight's mask or remove all his armor so he looks more like kirby. (They're based on the kirby cafe merchandise.)
>>
>>9287203
its not meta without the mask
>>
>>9287183
her fanbase is lit tumblr babies so i dont doubt that but ive also heard my fair share of stories to confirm thats something she would do
>>
>>9287245
Yea you're right, I'm gonna add the mask. Sad to lose the pouting expression though.
>>
>>9287203

Dude, maybe you should do things in your own style instead of pretty much directly ripping off already existing official products
>>
>>9287271
I get what you're saying, none of my other merch/art is like this. I just wanted to try making three tomato dish charms in their style since the cafe was shut down after only 3 months, and the official merch is difficult or expensive to buy now.
>>
>>9287271
in any other case i would agree with you but kirby is so simple that its hard to draw it differently?
>>
>>9287271
Simple characters like kirby are kind of hard to stylize.
>>
>>9287304
that's where you're fucking wrong
>>
was this girl trying to say that the mold on the right is a ripoff of the left design?
has she ever seen a planchette before? they all look like this
>>
>>9287431
The sweatshirt design really doesn't look close enough to call it copied. The tutorial someone linked in the comments though has the same font, curls, and bottom design though.
>>
>>9287434
i just find it funny that this girl keeps insisting the person who made the original tutorial ripped it from her friend's obscure ass sweater.

the person selling the casts obviously ripped it from the tutorial though. the sweater is stupid and a non-issue
>>
File: DSC02423.jpg (2MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02423.jpg
2MB, 4608x2592px
I've never printed stickers before and I'm trying to print stickers for a friend, but when I print it out, it looks pixelated, like I tried to resize it bigger or something, but I didn't. It looks just fine on the computer screen.

So, is the issue just my friend's art style, or printer setting?
>>
>>9287325
this is like from the 1980's, can you pull a even more outdated source?
>>
I don't think my question ever got answered from the previous thread but best sticker paper to use? I'm updating all of my stickers so their much nicer quality and I'm not sure which one to go with.

Right now, I have Papilio white vinyl sheets saved along with the over-laminate
>>
>>9287916
*they're. whoops
>>
>>9287203
I sorta like his mask removed
>>
Something I don't see too often in AA is original paintings or drawings. It is always a print of the traditional artwork rather than the piece itself. I was curious as to why artists don't sell more of the traditional original piece. I'm a really big fan of things like this and try to buy two to three small commisions every time I go to a convention and even dropped 250 on an original painted piece just because I liked the style and subject and it was so rare to see someone selling the original along side the prints. Is there just no real market for it other than the random person like me? Does it just take too much time and effort and isn't worth the payoff in the end? I'd love to see more people in the AA doing this and would wholeheartedly support it with all my might.
>>
>>9286645
>>9286652
I don't know about most people but I'm not trying to make a living off of AA selling. Any artistic field is going to be competitive and I like going to cons/events mostly TO meet other artists. I've had great conversations with more 'seasoned' professionals and gotten some advice. So long as you realize that there will always be someone better than you out there, there should be no issue
>>
>>9287926
I honestly would never bring my paintings to AA. I have gone to art shows with my original work and gotten great responses but I feel like AA is not really the right market for that. Most people aren't looking to drop $250+ for an original piece and they're more interested in fan art. I've seen tables with gorgeous paintings up for sale but they don't move. I certainly have enough pieces that I could bring the smaller ones with me but I don't know if it would even be worth it.
>>
>>9287926
AA isn't the right market for it - conventions like Sakuracon that have a silent auction art gallery specifically for those one of a kind traditional pieces separate from the artist alley are doing it the right way.
>>
>>9287926

I would love to bring original paintings to AA with me, but there's no audience for them. AA customers typically don't want to spend a lot of money on a single item and do not understand the value of original pieces and just see it as overpriced. Just look at commission prices, and you'll see that artists seriously undervalue their skills and time, and this is what customers now expect, too.
>>
>>9287926
It's honestly not the right audience for it, most customers I've had don't want to spend money on a single piece of artwork and would rather have a bunch of things instead.

I have brought some original ink lineart hand and have had one customer ask about it, when I gave the price he wasn't interested anymore. It's mostly there for just show in my binder and I'm not expecting anyone to ask.
>>
>>9287899
What's the DPI of the picture? A bigger DPI would give out a better print quality and a small DPI would make the print pixelated no matter how much you resize.
>>
>>9287899
are you printing it from windows explorer/image viewer or directly from photoshop?
>>
>>9287953
>>9287934

Sorry, my meaning may have come across incorrectly. I meant fan work still, but the original painting/drawing the prints were made from. It is rare for me to find someone with a painting of scenery or a specific scene from a show for sale, let alone one I had interest in. I know that's another reason to shy away from painting a scene from a show you enjoy and trying to sell it. I find it funny that people can spend 200+ on some figure but if people were to bring their painting inspired from an anime/cartoon/nerd thing, people just scoff at their pricing. A painting has so much more expression, uniqueness, and individuality than a mass produced plastic piece.

>>9287959
>>9287953

I agree that there are quite a few people who are undercharging for what they are offering and you better believe they get a lot of patronage from me in the weekend plus tip. On the flip side of that though, customers are somewhat wary about commisions because even with a portfolio of examples in front of them, the quality can be vastly different from what the artist ends up giving you in the end. I have gotten plenty of bad/overly rushed peices not even near worth what they are charging for them. I will add that it will always be a slight gamble in the end, but I enjoy the fact that the good has outweighed the bad in total for my commisions.
>>
>>9288074
how do you check/change that?
>>9288086
I'm using adobe photoshop elements 14. Its a psd file.
>>
>>9288074
>>9288142
nvm, it says 72 pixels/inch. Is that what the dpi is? What should it be changed to?
>>
>>9288145
It's too low. For good printing quality you should draw in 300DPI. You can't go from a low DPI to high DPI, only from high to low without image distortion. You won't be able to get good prints from that image.
>>
>>9288127
>>9287926
That's because all the big cons have art auctions, which is where that kind of stuff goes. Lots of original paintings and original copies of art gets in there. Space is a limited resource on an AA table, people do no want to waste it on displaying something worth $200+ that no one is going to buy all weekend.
>>
>>9288145

72 is rock bottom DPI, anon. Your friend should've been working in at least 300 DPI from the very start. You can't really fix it at this point since it'll just get pixellated the more you try to blow it up.
>>
>>9288145
That's the DPI. Unfortunately you can't effectively change it once it's drawn, but for future reference ALWAYS draw in at least 300 DPI if you plan on printing something (or even if you don't it's better just to set it)
>>
>>9288149
>>9288150
Alright, thanks! I'll tell my friend.
>>
>>9288163
Try blowing up the image in waifu2x before you throw all the work away!

It might work, might not, but it's worth a try.
>>
>>9288198
That is exactly what I did and it turned out great! HUGE improvement.
>>
>>9287916
thats a rrly good brand but there is also online labels weatherproof
>>
So I'm trying to order from Acorn Press and have talked to them some, but haven't really heard back beyond the one email they did send (and the automatic reply I got for sending in the order). I don't want to be rude since I know it's the holidays, but is this common? I'm just trying to get to the invoice stage and don't know if my emails are going through.
>>
>>9288359
From my experience, it feels like they do take a bit time to send the invoice so this is usual for them.
>>
>>9288148

I would love it if my local cons would do this. Unfortunatly other than Acen, most are medium sized cons at biggest and I think I've only seen it once at Acen at that.
>>
>>9288392

I'm presuming they won't work on your stuff until they invoice and you pay, too? This is my first order so I'm just unsure of everything. Thanks for the info though!
>>
File: IMG_0928.jpg (208KB, 1242x929px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0928.jpg
208KB, 1242x929px
I love how this girl is trying to capitalize on feminist merch but failing spectacularly. The irony of having a hentai-related shirt right next to a "boohoo look at all these misogynist slurs" shirt is amazing.

I don't even mind feminist merch when they're done well but this is such a soulless cash grab attempt on her part. There's really something about a white girl villifying AAVE like thot to try to paint herself as progressive! I guess she couldn't compete with Omocat and is jumping ships to fauxminism now.
>>
>>9288655
Design on right would be better if the print had one more color in it? It might be me but it looks unfinished. I'm also getting omocat's Fujoshi/Fudanshi sweater vibes but that could be reaching on my part. The left just looks a little lazy. Kind of sick of this edgelord tumblr bullshit
>>
>>9288658
Shit I'm an idiot and don't know my own sides. I'm getting omocat vibes on left and edgelord on right. Sorry anon
>>
>>9288655
>>9288658
Lol this artist again? Watch the milkbbi copycat come out with new designs soon too. Too many artists making apparel these days that are so uninspired and lazy.
>>
>>9288665
Lmao well I mean her, the milkbbi knockoff, and the Anime Trash Swag knockoff are all friends/business partners and often table together so I wouldn't be surprised. They get their shirts printed from the same place they're probably making more shitty knockoffs together.
>>
>>9288655
left is so hard referenced from hirame but shes so known for ripping off other artists it doesnt even make a difference (didnt she have a shota shirt or something that was basically a trace?)
>>
>>9288674
I am so sick of bootleg ats stuff at cons jesus christ. If I see another goddamn table with snapbacks and uneven acrylic lettering I will combust.
>>
>>9288677
It was like a shota/senpai shirt wihere the senpai character had a dorito face? And people were accusing her of stealing it directly from a tumblr artist, from what I remember.
>>
>>9288678
To be fair, acrylic snapbacks are pretty common in K-fash and even made it to mainstream American fashion stores - but you're right in that ATS really popularized them in the con scene. The ArsenicxCyanide girl straight up ripped off ATS's entire catalog down to the same words and it was really egregious. I remember seeing her complain about some rando making PokeGo acrylic hats on insta because he was "copying" her. The gall to accuse someone of mimicking her when her entire inventory is straight up an ATS rip, lol.
>>
>>9288655
Ew these are awful.
>>
>>9287325
not op but that really makes me want to do shit-kirby charms
>>
>>9289010
I'd buy those desu
>>
>when someone on AANI asks for crit
>you give it
>they delete their post like a weenie
>>
>>9289010
I don't mean this as an insult to the artist but check out ohmonah, I feel like she's perfected the "shitty/scribble but cute" charm style.
>>
File: CdPHqF-W0AAfiO7.jpg (27KB, 600x413px) Image search: [Google]
CdPHqF-W0AAfiO7.jpg
27KB, 600x413px
>>9289040
There'a a whole bunch of these drawings in that kirby mecha game
>>
>>9289040
>>9289082
idk sketched these, which is better
>>
>>9289390
not shitty enough try drawing them with your non dominant hand
>>
>>9289393
idk i wanna polish them, so i'd want them to be shitty in a fundamental way that'll still make them funny no matter how shiny they look
>>
>>9289390
those aren't shitty
those are more like some kind of nightmare kirby
>>
>>9288655
Man, I can't even tell these people apart anymore because all of the clothes look the SAME. They're not even trying at this point. The shirt on the right is really obnoxious to me, partly because of the font and partly because of how tryhard it is. Also, homewrecker seems so out of place compared to the rest
>>
>>9289403
if they aren't shitty the right way they'll just look like bootleg kirby, like you were actually trying but didn't google what kirby looked like
>>
File: kergl.png (189KB, 622x551px) Image search: [Google]
kergl.png
189KB, 622x551px
>>9289010
Here's my shitkirby, I tried to portray him in a way that would appeal to the western audience
>>
File: shitkirby.jpg (66KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
shitkirby.jpg
66KB, 600x800px
Drawn with non dominant hand
>>
>>9289433
Shit he's PERFECT, SELL HIM
>>
>>9288655
I'm not even crazy about hentai but that ahegao fucking sucks, open the mouth super wide and get them eyes crossed
>>
>>9289057
on aani 'crit' means exclusively 'give me compliments'
>>
>>9288655
that broken pinky finger on the ahegao shirt tho
>>
>>9289433
Love it!
>>
>>9289433
>appeal to the western audience
you need to draw a lumpy red-ass tumblr nose, anon
>>
>>9289458
This. The ahegao one is just typical bland yandere.
>>
>>9289458
bf and i thought the same damn thing. if you're going to be that edgy and tryhard, at least do it right.
>>
>>9289452
I find it cute anon.
>>
File: lmao pls.png (142KB, 474x529px) Image search: [Google]
lmao pls.png
142KB, 474x529px
>>9289458
>>9289486
>>9289490
Did you guys read her cringeworthy description on that shirt, btw?
>>
>>9289570
>acting on their volition, and not coerced into doing sexual acts

wat. Now, I don't read much hentai anymore, but usually when agegao comes up, it tends to be in gangbangs that the girl is unwillingly forced into and eventually ends up liking it.
>>
>>9289575
>unwillingly forced into and eventually ends up liking it
Yea, that's the only context for ahegao i've ever encountered desu
>>
>>9289575
>>9289577
Yup, same. I don't think she's actually read hentai featuring ahegao at all? She's just trying to pander to weebs and trying to appear edgy and #sexpositive while she does it.
>>
File: hentaipro.png (15KB, 170x221px) Image search: [Google]
hentaipro.png
15KB, 170x221px
>>9289575
>girl is unwillingly forced into and eventually ends up liking it.
I read a lot of hentai. Sometimes the girl is the powerful one, but by the end she "loses" to the penis which then results in the ahegao.
So, yeah, you're right, that girl is a goon. She doesn't know what she's talking about.
>>
How much do people usually charge for sketch commissions at cons?
>>
>>9289570
That looks nothing like turtle.fish.paint, their ahegao is actually good.
>>
>>9289570
I hate this shit. It's just an excuse so pervs can wear their sins on their bodies in public while being able to claim that it's just loledgy and actually feminist/ subverting the content. Just fucking own it bitch, you're making porn shirts to sell to porn fans, don't act high and mighty about it.
>>
>>9289587
Depends on size, medium, amount of detail, general cleanliness and how much of the body you're drawing.
>>
>>9289587
depends on the traffic.
at high traffic cons i generally start half body commissions at 60 dollars because otherwise i can't keep up or i get burnt out doing so many.
at slower cons i knock them down to around 40 so i have a steadier flow of customers and don't get bored.

my pencilwork is pretty unimpressive/ not very eyecatching though
>>
>>9289408
That's what I thought. Homewrecker isn't so much an insult like "bitch" or "whore" in that it specifically is "you slept with my fucking spouse." It's like they couldn't think of another insult and threw on one that was pseudo related.
>>
>>9289587
Depends on the quality, but average I've seen is around $10-15.
>>
>>9289862
Not average, lowest. Excuse me.
>>
Does anyone know where I could advertise a lightly used Cricut die cutting machine? I bought one during Black Friday and it's just not working out for me. I figured there's got to be some kind of crafter/scrapbooking group somewhere that might be more interested in this machine than I am.
>>
File: 1419665709633.gif (773KB, 259x214px) Image search: [Google]
1419665709633.gif
773KB, 259x214px
>>9289570
>turtle.fish.paint
>in the same paragraph with "empowering" and "not coerced"
>more than half of their doujins focus on rape and coercion
>also prominently feature bestiality, shotas, and incest
I love their work but there's absolutely little leeway to reframe them as feminist, unless you're going off the rumors that Hirame is a woman. Even then, that's just reaching.
>>
>>9289570
Oh christ. Just say you're making hentai shirts because you want to make hentai shirts. This forced "no guys it's actually feminist!!!1!" shit is so obvious
>>
>>9289082
Checked them out on your recommendation, I like their art skills but their content is pretty disgusting.

Farts ain't cute...
>>
>>9289877
Do you have a price? I might be interested. Also you could probably throw it up on AANI.
>>
>>9290114
Yea, they have a particular sense of humor. I like their color and art style though, especially for little charms.

>>9289877
I've seen people sell their silhouette cameos on SPS.
>>
Are animazement or momocon any good?

I doubt they're good as fanime for profit but I'd love to hear some input!
>>
Has anyone done Cheyenne comic con in artist alley. If so how did it go?
>>
>>9290311
I've heard pretty good things about Momocon but haven't really heard much about Animazement. I'd also be interested if other anons are willing to share their experience!
>>
>>9290311
animazement has a strict height limit
>>
>>9290422
like an amusement park
>>
>>9290444
>you must be THIS tall to buy a titty mousepad.
>>
>>9290126
Thanks! I was worried AANI wouldn't accept this kind of sales post so I asked in case I needed alternative places.

>>9290115
I haven't figured out a price yet because I actually have a whole bundle of extras (vinyl, extra mats and blades, and other stuff) included with it. Since it's secondhand, I'll be sure to sell it a better price I got it for.

A part of me still wants to give it another chance so if it doesn't work out within the next month or two, I will probably make a sales post for it on AANI. If you want an email alert of when I do, you can shoot me an email.
>>
>>9290477
Forgot the email, whoops.
>>
>>9290477
I'd be interested, so I'll keep an eye out. If you're looking for help on getting the most out of it there's a thread for cutting machines on /po/.
>>
>>9289862
That's the average for smaller cons, at bigger cons the good/popular artists can get up to 100+
>>
>>9290311
I did terrible at Momocon last year and equally terrible at Animazement the year before that. I'm not sure if it's just my art style not catering to the crowd, or if i's just the location .
>>
>>9290311
I have friends who do great at momocon and love it, but their AA is already finalized. Unless you already got in and were just wondering if it's worth it?

I'm not sure about animazement because it's a pretty big con, but it's also one of those 50/50 original cons, which generally eats into profits (at least for me). I'm still half-tempted to apply, though, just to take up the fanime-sized hole in my heart.
>>
Has anyone ever gotten vograce to do a custom outline/hole shape? I'm trying to get them to cut the hole as a special shape that's not a circle, and they don't seem to understand. Also I wish I could just send them a vector outline, theirs always turn out slightly bumpy.
>>
>>9290586
>vector outline

You're supposed to be doing that yourself anyways for vograce...????
>>
>>9290311
Speaking from a buyers perspective (will probably apply for a table this year though), Animazement had a lot of variety as far as art styles go which I appreciated but the AA seemed to be really slow? There weren't that many people that were buying. I was expecting it to be crowded since it is a bigger con but that surprised me.
>>
>>9290741
She's always just asked me for photoshop files and never mentioned anything about a vector outline. That would've been so much more helpful to know she would take that.
>>
File: hole.jpg (79KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
hole.jpg
79KB, 300x300px
Speaking of custom holes, does anyone with experience from Acorn know if they'll do things like that? Figure I'd ask here before I waste their time.

I was thinking of a design but it would need the hole inside the design. Not THROUGH the paint, but having paint around it? All they say is it should not intercept the artwork.

(pic is a shitty example but gets the point across. pretend the whole body is clear except for the red)
>>
>>9287911
what was this person even trying to say like i am genuinely in shock reading this
>>
>>9289474
someone missed the joke
>>
>>9291600
you just need to have no paint within 15 pixels from the hole so like just expand selection by 15 and see if it touches anything
>>
>>9291654
Oh, cool. I'll go try that out asap! Thank you so much!
>>
Anyone else following the Con Alt Delete theft drama on AANI? Seeing all of those posts talking about getting security cameras for their booths is hilarious.
>>
>>9291926
If A LOT of people are talking about it, I personally find it less funny and more worrisome but then again I'm not keeping up with it. If theft is that much of an issue at that con it makes me wonder if no one was really watching their stuff or something else went on.
>>
>>9291953
A lot of people are saying they want to get cameras because they're worried in general. Idk it seems like the people who are most vocal about worrying in AANI are the ones who don't need to. I could see vendors getting security cameras just because they have more booth space to monitor. That's just my opinion tho.

The con alt delete stuff is just a cosplayer with some grudge against a single vendor, the cosplayer seems like a dick.
>>
>>9291964
does anyone have info on the cosplayer yet? i saw people saying she said she was molested but i wanna read what she said myself.
>>
>>9291966
She deleted the post about being assaulted after someone in the thread linked to it. There's still a link in the comments on the AANI thread if you want to check it out. The cosplayer seems petty, it's not like she's a little kid. That's not how you should deal with sexual assault.
>>
>>9291966
Apparently the vendor made fun of her sexuality at a different con (I highly doubt this, just seems like typical tumblr paranoia to me) and she held a grudge so long she decided to take it out on him now months later at another con. I wish she were like 15 instead of 22 so it were at least a little bit understandable, but this is pathetic behavior for an adult.

Source: her tumblr.
>>
>>9291966
http://victuuri.tumblr.com/post/154600794970/
>>
>>9291973
>that url

that tells me everything I need to know
>>
>>9291953
Yeah, it seemed like it was just an isolated incident but everyone freaked out over it. AA booths are small enough that I can't see how anyone could steal without getting caught. The only way for that to happen would be after hours (if it's an AA that doesn't lock up at night) or if you leave your booth unattended or with someone untrustworthy.
>>
>>9291973
>I've been a fan of Victor/Yuuri since before Yuri!!! on Ice even aired and my favorite character is Yuuri Katsuki.
Why does this make me laugh. What a hipster.
>>
>>9291926
AANI's full of stupid but it's entertaining reading material.

The girl's super petty, but I feel bad at how people are harassing her on social media and over exaggerating the incident. It's just something personal between the vendor and the girl, I feel like they should have dealt with it internally instead of blowing this up.
>>
>>9292278
It's the fact that she didn't handle this internally that's pissing everyone else off, I think. Also that she's trying to use theft to justify harassment. Theft in general riles up artists and vendors anyway.
>>
>>9292132
The entire fandom seems a shitfest of who loves Victor/Yuuri more and none of them admitting they just like it because hurr yaoi
>>
>>9291966
Lol, I know this person. They're some low profile cosplay bitch on insta, never knew they would steal stuff but I guess all trash is the same. Still curious about that video of them stealing though.
>>
>>9292577
Lol apparently the cool thing in the fandom is to shit talk yaoi. Yaoi is 'problematic' because it 'fetishizes gay relationships' so you're not allowed to call YOI a yaoi, it's a regular sports anime with a gay romance. Which is fine, but I could do without the judgy attitude. Fucking. Kids. These. Days.
>>
>>9292750
It's especially stupid and half of them are hypocrites. In the first half of the show, half the time people were talking about how it's going to super queerbaiting the fans. And then those same people would turn around and go "VictorYuuri is so hot <3"

It's some of the most pretentious shit I've seen in a while
>>
>>9292598
I know there's this gif of the video that's around but I have yet to see the whole thing.

http://giphy.com/gifs/l0MYyQe3D3zWKJEVq
>>
File: 1455596762783.jpg (13KB, 272x252px) Image search: [Google]
1455596762783.jpg
13KB, 272x252px
>>9292836
holy shit what a cunt
>>
>>9292836
I think I'd actually punch this bitch
>>
>>9292836
The people who own the booth are saying the plush she set on top went missing. If she didn't steal it, could she at least get in trouble for something like petty vandalism since she was deliberately dumping merchandise? Or does it not count?
>>
>>9292929
She claimed he sexually harassed her at dashicon when staff confronted her. She also said if the vendor released the full video what happened would be clear and clear her name. Either way, I'm pretty sure the worst that would come from this is one of them getting blacklisted from con alt delete.
>>
>>9292934
If supposedly it would "clear her name" to show harassment, it still doesn't justify what she did and I think both should get banned from the con. It's still unclear whether she actually stole or not, this is still a very he said/she said situation.

The full video was released somewhere as given by the gif so I'd like to see it.
>>
>>9292750
Reminds me of when that tumblr user was trying to convince everyone that bara was a slur.
>>
>>9292938
Nah, I'm pretty sure "clear her name" is in reference to showing she didn't actually steal anything. She admitted to knocking shit off on purpose already. There hasn't been any proof she was harassed because it (possibly) happened at a previous convention.

The Dashicon harassment shouldn't even be relevant for what happened at Con Alt Delete as far as staffers are concerned desu. The cosplayer is currently the one harassing the vendor, that's not how people should deal with sexual harassment.
>>
>>9292966
>The cosplayer is currently the one harassing the vendor, that's not how people should deal with sexual harassment.
That's why she's fucking herself with all of this immaturity. She should've brought up the harassment thing at the convention that it took place at because it's hard to get any sort of evidence for it afterwards.
The only thing saving her ass now is her claim that she didn't steal the plush.
>>
>>9292836
It looks like all three of them in the front were planning to steal, but got caught off by the other girl actually dumping the merch. You can see the girl on the left pick up another plushie and without even looking at the item, look around (maybe at vendor, maybe at cosplayer girl) before pulling back at the actual release.

The one on the right also starts to grab for something, but then pulls back for because she was too slow and instead goes for the "omg that just fell, such shock" pose.
>>
>>9292974
They're all friends, so it makes sense that they were all planning on doing something shitty. It also explains the obviously fake af responses.
>>
>>9292750
>>9292577

You are barking up the wrong tree. YOI and its fans in general are fine. Tumblr is the problem. They do this shit with everything they latch on to. And sadly because the Tumblr social justice warriors are morons, this chick is probably just going to get asspats from everyone.
>>
>>9293022
I'm pretty sure she's bringing up the harassment thing just for asspats
>>
>>9292971
Even so, is it her stating she didn't steal it or the con staff? The vendor is claiming that the plush did go missing which was the one she specifically grabbed and threw into the box. There are LOTS of people at conventions so sure someone could have kicked it somewhere and another picked it up but odds are stacked against her. :/

Unfortunately just based on how she's handling things, I don't think many people off tumblr are actually backing her.
>>
>>9293095
She stated that she didn't steal it on her Tumblr. She said she just "threw some plushies around" as some kind of petty years-old revenge
I'm not sure if the con's weighed in on this
>>
>>9293101
I'd definitely like to hear what they have to say but I also won't be surprised if nothing becomes of it.
>>
i'll always be annoyed at really amazing art/designs not getting funded bc they had to be crowdfunded, but shitty designs getting produced at no risk because the artist cna use mommy and daddy's money. With enamel pins it's especially infuriating - why the fuck should anyone pay $10 each for one of these when you can get a bunch of far cuter and better designed ones on taobao/aliexspress for under a dollar?

It was frustrating seeing the charm market being flooded with artists who are too dumb to realize they should meet a certain quality standard before they start making merch, and it's doubly so for this enamel pin fad.
>>
"I will be pressing charges on the people who were involved in falsely accusing me of sexually harassing/assaulting "people"." From the vendor at Con Alt Delete.

>>9293276
Will that handwritten lettering even be visible with the enamel?
>>
>>9293276
I agree that the artist posted probably should work on refining their lineart and lettering before turning them into actual merch - but assuming that everyone is using "mommy and daddy's money" is kind of stupid and salty on your part, anon. If you do your research, you can produce hard enamel pins at a little over a dollar through suppliers on Alibaba. And in this day and age, you can run successful preorders if you don't have the capital for production on hand. Especially if you're cutting down the limits you're trying to meet via cheaper nonwestern production methods.

It's fine to criticize the lack of planning/effort that goes into merch production but don't whine about not having the funds to do it yourself when there are plenty of workarounds.
>>
>>9293589
when did I ever said I don't have the funds for my own merch? I was talking about other artists I admire.

>>9293581
Probably not? I just don't know why you wouldn't invest some time in actually attempting to design something, instead of just shitting out stuff to jump on the bandwagon.
>>
>>9293276
>i'll always be annoyed at really amazing art/designs not getting funded

I'm more offended people are actually doing kickstarters for fucking enamel pins.
>>
File: FSASFA.png (31KB, 532x343px) Image search: [Google]
FSASFA.png
31KB, 532x343px
>>9291926
http://victuuri.tumblr.com/

Found their tumblr and their response? LOL
When caught just claim sexual harassment guys
>>
>>9293753
>what are preorders?
>>
>>9293759
Preorders aren't the same as an actual kickstarter. And I've seen actual kickstarters for pins.
>>
>>9293276
I actually thought it was supposed to look ironically shitty. Didn't realize that was legit their art.
>>
>>9293753
yeh. enamel pins are a perk you offer during a kickstarter of something bigger, they shouldn't really be the entire goal of the kickstarter.

i can't explain why it bothers me, but it does.
>>
>>9293798
because the average artists works to get the funds up first, so they can order their first batch

asking people to give you money to even try is just lazy
>>
Got in Fanime's AA again. I'm not even sure how, my art is nowhere near everything else in there.
>>
>>9293581
>people in quotes
He's not doing himself any favors here.
>>
File: xm2vm7qfkl4y.jpg (971KB, 2700x3300px) Image search: [Google]
xm2vm7qfkl4y.jpg
971KB, 2700x3300px
This isn't really the worst example of overcompensating western noses. But the bigger problem is regular face proportions on a SD chibi body

https://www.etsy.com/listing/500095779/love-live-taisho-roman-stickers
>>
>>9293842
god those are ugly
>>
>>9293842
Yeah. If they redid the faces these would look way better. Everything else looks fine.
>>
>>9293842
The only word I can think of is
>butterfaces
>>
File: nosejob.png (900KB, 428x532px) Image search: [Google]
nosejob.png
900KB, 428x532px
>>9293842
>>9293906
Actually, I think the nose is still the major issue here.
>>
>>9293934
Yeah. I think for the majority it's the nose. I think one or two of them need to have the eyes adjusted(like Rin, her eye position looks a bit weird.)

Also, I think the top of the head needs to be a bit bigger or the eyebrows dropped a bit. Some of them barely have any forehead(it's super noticeable on ones like Eli and Honoka. Honoka maybe has about a fingers width between her eyebrow and hairline)

The facial proportions are off on most of them.
>>
File: taisho edit.jpg (2MB, 2700x3300px) Image search: [Google]
taisho edit.jpg
2MB, 2700x3300px
>>9293842
Biggest problem is the shading and nostrils. Could have done a better edit but I'm home for the holidays without a tablet. Also for "Realistic" noses then put the nasal bone over way too far on some
>>
>>9293950
amazing how much small edits can improve an image so much.
>>
>>9293830
do you mind posting?
>>
>>9293950
Hmm on top of that the face shape is such a blob but the clothes have so many crisp folds and angles that it creates dissonance. I'm a little baffled because they have such a great handle on clothes but are trying to fight too hard between anime and western
>>
>>9294095
I sort of want to see their art progression to see where the "ANIME IS BAD" influence starts.
>>
What do you guys do when a con you usually sell at has a guest you really want to see? I unfortunately do not have any helpers, so I am stuck between doing AA and missing out on the guest or being a regular attendee and missing out on doing AA. Curious if anybody else has run into this and what you ended up doing.
>>
>>9294167
I get over it and realize AA is my job, not something I just do for fun.
>>
>>9294167
I saw someone put an "out for X minutes, please ask Y table next to me for assistance" sign when they were gone from the table to see a guest. If you don't have any connections with any other artists and it's AA or guest, then personally I would pick the guest if I could afford it. AA money is nice and all, but in the end, I have to remember that I do cons instead of galleries or fairs because I'm a fucking weeb at heart.
>>
How long do you guys wait for vograce to respond before you email them again?

This isn't the initial order email, we were already like 5-6 emails into the conversation. I'm getting antsy but I don't want to seem pushy.
>>
>>9294122
browsed through their tumblr a bit, it's gotten worse over the years but they were still drawing similar noses in like 2012
>>
>>9294234
24-48 hours from the time I sent the email they didn't respond to. Oh, but keep in mind that they don't work Sundays.
>>
Hi everyone! First-time poster here! I have been searching for so long for a printing service with holographic finish and found this on alibaba:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Holographic-sparkle-foil-poster-printing_60417594150.html
Did anyone actually try it? Seems like a nice, cheap option (but I assume shipping would be crazy?).
>>
New thread >>9294367
>>
>>9294167
There is no problem if you leave the table for 30 minutes or so. Just put a sign up like another anon said and ask the person beside you to just casual watch your table. Its important to take a break and walk around, it keeps you awake and from getting fatigue from sitting in the same spot for 8 hours straight.
>>
>>9294167

I've had to take breaks to go run panels before (just because I'm there to sell doesn't mean I'm not going to run a panel or two) and it's fine. I try not to be gone for too long, though, since I think being the artist makes a difference in terms of who is staffing the table.

Weird question but are you a Texan? 'Cause I'm actually having a more serious debate with myself about a local con based on some guests. The real question is how much day job stuff I'll have to do at the con and whether that's going to allow me to sell this go 'round or not. I may try to convince my gf to attend and help me man the booth.
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.