[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Since we need one of these threads every week, what the correct

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 11

File: tumblr_npau69D8KS1rztdgoo1_1280.jpg (328KB, 1280x848px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_npau69D8KS1rztdgoo1_1280.jpg
328KB, 1280x848px
Since we need one of these threads every week, what the correct etiquette to cosplaying an albino character? Especially if you aren't white, should you paint yourself white, or no?
>>
>>9263200
You don't cosplay them
>>
>>9263211
Just like black characters
>>
>>9263211
why
>>
>>9263259
It's racist.
>>
>>9263262
how
>>
>>9263264

people are sensitive
>>
>>9263200
You don't have to paint yourself white, but if you want to look accurate, you should paint yourself white or use some lightening powder. Don't worry because white people will not attack you for "whitefacing" anyway.
>>
>>9263308
no, but sjws and sensitive POC will attack you for whitewashing your own heritage
>>
She did a damn good job on that cake.
>>
>>9263325
Underrated post.
>>
>>9263200
>we need one of these threads every week

You don't speak for me or "us" and no, definitely do not need this bullshit every fucking week. Take your shit back to tumblr
>>
>>9263200
Literally no one cares unless you make a stink about it online.
>>
Don't blackface if you're a white person cosplaying a black chara, just cosplay the chara without painting your skin.
Whiteface isn't an issue because it doesn't come with the whole history of being a portrayal of racist archetypes.

Shiro cosplayer looks cute.
>>
>>9271488
>>9271490
painting yourself black isn't blackface. Idk why that has to be explained.
>>
File: 1262819968203.jpg (95KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1262819968203.jpg
95KB, 800x600px
>>9271552
So if I paint my face with black color it isn't blackface? Cool story I will do it right now and walk into the most gettho neighborhood ever wish me luck.
Also try going to school coloring your face black I bet everyone will praise you.
>>
>>9271552
If you can't see how inappropriate and tacky it is to paint yourself black - regardless of intentions or whether or not you do the stereotypical red lips - then you deserve the inevitable backlash.
>>
>>9271576
>>9271979
Since I guess you guys don't know what black face is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface Come back once you learn the difference between changing your skin color for a cosplay and racially stereotyping a group of people.
>>
File: ew-little-girl-face-.jpg (18KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
ew-little-girl-face-.jpg
18KB, 300x300px
>>9271983
Did you just...
Use wikipedia...
As a source...
>>
>>9267551
>Take your shit back to tumblr
this is an obvious altright poltard baiting the gullible
>>
>>9263200
I'm actually curious, I see lighter skinned people feeling the need to brownface or darken their skin for cosplay all the time, but do we have any of the reverse, black people painting their skin to appear more white for cosplay?
>>
>>9272009
I think I've seen a handful of darker skinned people painting themselves colours for things like Homestuck or Steven Universe, where the colours aren't humanoid.
But I don't often see people with darker skin needing to make themselves lighter for Cauc/asian cosplays.
>>
File: 8kiNhCM.png (373KB, 514x744px) Image search: [Google]
8kiNhCM.png
373KB, 514x744px
>>9271983
Cool why don't you proof your theory and walk around with black paint on your face. The real world doesn't conform to your ideals.
>>
>>9272171
Just google "peter pan and shadow cosplay" and you'll get dozens of images. Idk why you guys want to shame cosplayers so badly.
>>
File: 1479957874377.png (120KB, 316x320px) Image search: [Google]
1479957874377.png
120KB, 316x320px
>>
>>9272921
Cosplaying as Peter Pans black shadow is different from cosplaying someone that's a different race and darkening your skin in the process. I'm a little bewildered that you can't grasp this concept.

To OP
The general rule that I've heard is a person can go one skintone lighter and one skintone darker with make up in regards to wanting as someone lighter or darker than yourself. Race isn't just skin pigmegaton, you have certain features that come with your race. Just painting your face one color that's too light or too dark, and you're going to look fucking weird and out of place. They have shows where they transform black people to look like white people, and it takes a shit load of make up, wigs, and usually facial prosthetics to look like a white person. To be real, no one here is probably that good at makeup.
>unless you're absolutely amazing at make up you'll look terrible
I view albino characters a bit differently, since people of all races can be albino. Go off of pictures that you see of people in your race who are albino. But be careful, it's easy to fuck up white face paint.
>>
>>9272171
5000 brownie points to you, anon, for that Community imageset
>>
>>9272936
don't cut yourself on that edge, kiddo
>>
>>9272937
>Cosplaying as Peter Pans black shadow is different from cosplaying someone that's a different race and darkening your skin in the process.

that really doesn't make sense at all. Cosplaying a character who is black, is that ok or not? You can't say its both. Idk what you mean by different race because all race means is skin color. We are cosplaying fictional characters too you know, not real people.
>>
File: jessie-pridemore-lionboody.jpg (51KB, 487x650px) Image search: [Google]
jessie-pridemore-lionboody.jpg
51KB, 487x650px
>>9273282

If you don't understand this then you're a friggen idiot who is probably like 12.

"Black" has various interpretations, so you can't expect a clean cut "yes or no" answer, unless you're some white person trying to justify their fucked up stupid actions.

>"Race: a group of persons related by common descent or heredity." (Dictionary.com)
>"Race: a family, tribe, people, or nation belonging to the same stock" (Mirriam-Webster)
>"Race: a group of people sharing the same culture, history, language, etc.; an ethnic group" (Oxford)
Race doesn't mean JUST skin colour.
Educate yourself.

Black as in "shadow", in which the cosplay is ENTIRELY black, as in #000000 in hex colours, and everything from the clothes to the wig to the contact lenses to the skin is #000000, that's generally seen as okay.
Because you aren't CHANGING YOUR RACE.

Holy fucking shit.

It's almost like changing ones RACE is the issue.

If a black person cosplays a white character, do you expect them to wear whiteface?
No, you don't. So why should a white person cosplaying a black character or indian character or asian character even bother thinking about doing the same?
So fucking tacky.
>>
>>9272921
Please, tell me more about how a SHADOW is the same as an African American PERSON or an Indian PERSON.

Obviously there are INSTANCES where it isn't "blackface" in the terminology of misrepresenting a persons race based on stereotypical characteristics. Jfc, outliers are a thing and recognised in data analysis, they don't change the final results of data because it's acknowledged they are singular instances.
>>
>>9273352
well, they are anime characters, they don't have a race, they don't have real backgrounds or whatever.

>>9273357

>Please, tell me more about how a SHADOW is the same as an African American PERSON or an Indian PERSON.
Ask >>9271576 or >>9271979
They were the ones saying you can't paint yourself black.

>PERSON
uhh, this thread has been about cosplaying anime characters, not actual people
>>
>>9273362

So I guess I was just imagining GitS?
"Primarily set in the mid-twenty-first century in the fictional Japanese city of Niihama"

Durarara?
"Mikado Ryƫgamine moves to Ikebukuro"

Sailor Moon?
"In Minato, Tokyo, a middle-school student named Usagi Tsukino"

Saint Young Men?
"Jesus Christ and Gautama Buddha are living together as roommates in an apartment in Tachikawa"

TOKYO Magnitude 8?

TOKYO Godfathers?
>>
>>9273362
Also educate yourself on racial coding in media.
>>
>>9263200
Yeah paint your face with some liquid paper to achieve that perfect white
>>
>>9273387
>educate yourself
>racial coding
Tumblrina pls go
>>
>>9273387
this reeks of tumblrette
>>
>>9273387
yay, word policing!
>>
>>9271552
it's still highly inappropriate
>>
File: download.jpg (10KB, 230x219px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10KB, 230x219px
>>9273362
We are one race. The anime race.
>>
>>9273445
Best post in this trash thread.
>>
im albino and i think you all look really stupid when you try to cosplay albinos. save yourself the trouble of looking bad and dont.

(your eyebrows and lashes are the worst part, aside from white or light wigs show your often dark hair hahah)
>>
I think the simplest way to go about it is something like

Is the character I'm cosplaying supposed to be human or some subset of human?
If yes, you shouldn't make your skin darker.
It no, it might be acceptable.

Obviously there are exceptions, but it kinda works. /shrugs/
>>
>>9273718

I see this a lot, too. It's really hard for non-albino or non-blonde lashed individuals to pull off the albino look, and honestly it'd be better for them to just put on makeup how they normally would and accept the fact they're not going to be super accurate.

But really, whatever. If you love the character enough go for it. Just know that you're not foolin' anyone if you're not actually albino.
>>
File: The magician.gif (982KB, 480x271px) Image search: [Google]
The magician.gif
982KB, 480x271px
>>9271576
>>9271979
>>9273419
>>
>>9273352

I do expect them to paint their shit. Fucking get pasty bitches.

I'm brown. Like perfect Mediterranean suntanned brown... do you know how hard it is to find a character that is brown and not crap? They all fake Asian anime white or Indian Brown from some war torn south pacific country that doesn't exist but it is always in a civil war. Get out of here. I'm gonna have trouble then you gonna paint yourself white. I want black face, white face and people painting their ass yellow when they dress like slutty-chu. Stop being so sensitive.

boats... my captcha is boats...
>>
File: IMG_1188.jpg (40KB, 620x371px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1188.jpg
40KB, 620x371px
>>9273352
Go away Marissa
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.