[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I make friends at a con without coming off as as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: David_Bowie_aka_Kira.jpg (111KB, 454x248px) Image search: [Google]
David_Bowie_aka_Kira.jpg
111KB, 454x248px
How do I make friends at a con without coming off as as creepy or desperate?
>>
>>9246674
You don't.
>>
>>9246674
Be attractive. Failing that, be well-groomed but not formal to the point where you're wearing a suit and fedora without it being cosplay.
>>
>>9246674
Post in the forum before the con, volunteer, go to anything interactive. Take photos and post them afterwards on the con FB, asking people to tag themselves. It's a process.
>>
File: ingress_SkipAway_dangerous.jpg (51KB, 899x692px) Image search: [Google]
ingress_SkipAway_dangerous.jpg
51KB, 899x692px
Ingress's SkipAway 'PIG-MAN'.
>>
Don't be creepy or desperate
>>
Cons are a great place to meet people. Don't go in with the intention of meeting a "friend" or even worse a "girlfriend" or "boyfriend." You're just there to spend a weekend with other people who share a similar interest. A good cosplay is a great conversation starter. Figure out if there are local communities or meetup groups in your area and start hanging out more often. People often don't become friends on their first meeting.
>>
File: h4EA46611.gif (1MB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
h4EA46611.gif
1MB, 500x282px
Talk to someone. If they don't show much interest back, immediately stop talking to them, you're wasting your time.

I've known women who get extremely upset when a man just says "I like your earings". Honestly, its not you, its them.
>>
>>9246674
Start up a conversation with people that seem to have the same interests as you, and if they give off signals that they are uncomfortable or busy or whatever, say you hope they have a good time, it was nice talking to them, and then walk away and try with someone else. Don't force small talk on people that aren't interested, its annoying and comes off badly.
>>
>>9246674
>>9246705
>>9246747
>>9246956
It is impossible. Usually it happens on its own, like this guy who was such a bro and I shared with him some Pockys and played Smash Bros. Never saw him again.
>>
Try not to let your psychopathic tendency get to you and don't steal anyone's hands
>>
>>9246680
fpbp
>>
File: 2016-10-08-19-59-55-1394748137.jpg (9KB, 186x270px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-08-19-59-55-1394748137.jpg
9KB, 186x270px
>>9247657
Yeah this is good advice
>>
Talking from experience, DO NOT EVER TRY TO GET TO KNOW TO A GIRL BY MISTAKING HER WITH A FRIEND OF YOURS.
>>
>>9248226
Who the hell thinks that's a better way to approach someone than just saying hi?
>>
It's all about experience and you don't sound like you have much. Everyone is a little awkward before they become a ~social butterfly~. Just keep practising on people, start little conversations with people while waiting in line or in the elevator or whatever. Lots of super awkward people talk to me at cons but I'm always nice to them back out of politeness. I think cons are one of the best places to talk to people because there are so many conversation starters.

"Hey I love your cosplay! Did you see last week's episode?"
"I'm so excited for this panel. I can't wait to hear what they have to say about blah blah..."
"What is that prop made from? How long did that take you? Are you entering the masquerade this year?"
"Wow it's hot today, I'd hate to be a furry."

Whatever you say, just be genuine about it. The worst thing that could happen is that someone thinks you're a little weird and you don't speak again. The best thing that could happen is you start a really cool conversation, realise this person has the same interests and you have a friend to meet up with at future cons!

I met my boyfriend at a con and he was a complete dork haha. I'm sure I came across as one too.
>>
>>9249400
She really looked like a friend, so I thought it was a good idea.

Whatever, my advice it's to manage to get into cosplay groups, or groups of friends, just being friendly with one it's easy to get to know the others and maybe find someone who rathers being called friend
>>
Meet ups are great. Just go, talk about your fandoms with people who are equally interested. Ask if they have cosplay pages or a twitter or IG you can follow, boom, you made a friend.
>>
waiting in line (for badges, panels, merch lines, anything) is a great place to make friends since you both have nowhere else to be, are interested in the same event, and would both love to pass the time more quickly
>>
>>9250667
This. I've made some really lasting friends this way. You literally already have a conversation topic (the fandom you're both interested in) so it's much easier.
>>
>>9247279
>Talk to someone. If they don't show much interest back, immediately stop talking to them, you're wasting your time.

this is terrible advice. all you're going to end up doing that way is throwing away all introverts, most middle-of-the-roaders, and basically anyone who isn't mental illness-tier extroverted who "loves" strangers they've literally just met and will drop just as fast.
>>
>>9252368
I guess the better advice would be to try to learn the difference between someone who is awkward or bored of you.
>>
I think the best place to try to make friends is the game room. Especially with tabletop games, just try and find some people who wanna play the same game as you or join in on a game that needs more people. The game itself can be used as a great icebreaker and then you can ask "So what panels have you been to?" "Is this your first time at X con?" "Oh my gosh, did you see X cosplay?" etc, etc
>>
>>9246956
This. Just talk to people. Biggest thing about making a friend proper is simple follow-up and meeting with them outside of the con, no one is going to become real friends over a single weekend.
>>
Haven't made any long-lasting friends but I will say its a super ego-boosting and gratifying experience to ask a qt girl to dance at a con ball. I frequent Sakura-Con and while the masquerade ball is hit-or-miss, it's a low-stress way to make a girl's night.

The music they play often works for some east coast swing, foxtrot, or a slow waltz. With the confidence behind my mask it's easy to approach a lonely-looking girl and ask if she knows how to waltz. Usually they don't, so I make small talk and teach her a few steps so we can dance for a song or two before thanking her and moving on. Seeing a doe-eyed girl stutter out her thank-yous makes my feel like some sort of suave alpha-lesbian that I know I'm not outside of the dance floor.
>>
>>9253811
>Haven't made any long-lasting friends but I will say its a super ego-boosting and gratifying experience to ask a qt girl to dance at a con ball. I frequent Sakura-Con and while the masquerade ball is hit-or-miss, it's a low-stress way to make a girl's night.
>The music they play often works for some east coast swing, foxtrot, or a slow waltz. With the confidence behind my mask it's easy to approach a lonely-looking girl and ask if she knows how to waltz. Usually they don't, so I make small talk and teach her a few steps so we can dance for a song or two before thanking her and moving on. Seeing a doe-eyed girl stutter out her thank-yous makes my feel like some sort of suave alpha-lesbian that I know I'm not outside of the dance floor.

This, even though half of the girls I waltzed and swinged with are taken, it is a hell lot more easier to socialize than raves
>>
>>9254732
People go to raves to socialize? Wuht?
>>
File: mlady.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
mlady.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>9253811
>>9254732
>>"Excuse me m'lady, would you like to waltz?"
>>
>>9254784

It's about having a prime social spot to meet new people. It's what your parents told you when you were younger
>>
>>9254782
Generally if I stick around until the end of the rave I get a couple invites to some room parties. Of course you can't socialize AT the rave, it's way too loud!
>>
1: Be attractive
2: Don't be unattractive
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.