[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think that certain panel ideas should be "protected"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_5333.jpg (3MB, 3464x2309px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5333.jpg
3MB, 3464x2309px
Do you think that certain panel ideas should be "protected" in the sense that no one else should try to copy them or use their name unless given permission by the original panelists?

When it comes to panels you can only have so many topics around before you see them being repeated (How to cosplay, how to find references, A History of Miyizaki, Anime Who's Line) We've come to accept that such common topics are ok to replicate without anyone asking for permission.

However in comes a lesser seen idea that starts to not only stick out but also be well executed. (Zapp Brannigan's Spaceship of Love, The Dub Show, Banzai Arcade, Hentai Voice Acting). Many of these entertainment based shows do have a loyal fanbase and draw in good numbers. Panel ideas are not copywritten so there's nothing stopping another individual from using these ideas or names.

Do you think a level of restraint should be followed when it comes to copying specific panel ideas or do you feel that everything is up for grabs simply because there are no legal protections against such things happening?
>>
I think it's a dick move to copy someone's panel if you live in the same region as them, but desu I wouldn't give a shit if someone who lived on the east coast copied a panel that I've done on the west coast.

The other thing is, these panels are what they are because of EXECUTION. They are put together and run well. For Example: The Zapp Brannigan panels are amazing, but the actual format of the panel is something that isn't particularly unique - Improv games, hosted by someone in-character. But Zapp Brannigan panels are THE panel to go to because the host is so fucking hilarious he can spin even the most unfunny contestants into the funniest thing ever. If someone else wanted to do a panel of improv games hosted by an in-character cosplayer, there's no guarantee that they would be any good, or garner a 'fanbase', because it's going to come down to how well the panel is executed.
>>
I think it's only a dick move if you know the original panelists will most likely be submitting theirs again and you're intentionally submitting an application to beat them out of it.
>>
>>9234654
>The other thing is, these panels are what they are because of EXECUTION. They are put together and run well.

THIS

Many panels at cons fail not because of their topics but because the panelists don't know shit about hosting panels. These individuals botch their research, writing, can't talk in front of a crowd or do not put in the proper planning and effort.

Good panels are good panels because the individuals put in the proper TLC. Meanwhile these good panels have amassed a great following due to the fact the panelists take their shows to different cons and hone the formulas.

I don't think it's really a dick move if you copy the idea or do a spinoff as in the end you can't stop people from doing such things as its all within the rules. However be prepared to be constantly compared to the original.
>>
When I host a panel; I do game shows near-exclusively. Jeopardy! panels are common, so if I know that someone always does that one; I'll usually not do it until talking to them to try and theme our questions on different areas.

For example; if she runs a Sailor Moon Jeopardy!; I'll not use magical girl anime for mine.
>>
Since we've got a thread up about panels and common panel types -

> What do you guys think makes a GOOD 'Ask the Characters' panel?

Because I've stopped going to these since they're usually so bad, but this year I've got myself involved with one.

I know that generally, adding structure is a good idea. Have something scripted for the introduction, conclusion, and if you can make it work a bit of a pre-scripted skit for the middle. You have to be funny, but I've got improv acting experience so I know I'M good, and I trust a couple of the other guys on this panel, too. What else?
>>
>>9234978
The only genuinely funny "ask" panel I've gone to was in a Newlyweds format where the audience asked a question and the characters wrote an answer to be revealed later. It worked much better than the typical ask format because it gave people a minute to think about something funny and then act/talk about that, and if someone was bad at improv and didn't think of anything good, you just blew past them on to the next person. Most congoers are simply not good at funny improv, and even if you are, odds are that most of your panelmates won't be great.
>>
>>9234978
If you get people who have experience with improv they're fantastic. That said, people always put more focus on the quality of a person's cosplay when casting as opposed to improv or theatrical experience, and most cosplayers seems to think that they'll magically gain acting ability if they just really like the character
>>
>>9235020
Thanks. Now that I'm thinking about it, the best in-character panels I've been to have been structured more like variety shows. Maybe we can have a few different "sections" of differently structured ways for the audience to ask questions.

>>9235089
Thankfully, the group I'm in for this panel requires audition videos for application. I'm hoping we'll get a chance to have some rehearsals on skype or similar so we can get used to working together and bouncing off of each other before the con.
>>
>>9235118
>>9234978
Good "Ask A..." panels need a really good improv actor that understands as well as proper structure.

Many bad "Ask A" panels put all the effort on the audience and simply react to the questions. The issue is that you may not get good questions and the fewer elements you can't control in play the more things that could go wrong.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.