[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi, /cgl/. I have a question for female cosplayers (or male crossplayers).

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: ilia.jpg (20KB, 466x433px) Image search: [Google]
ilia.jpg
20KB, 466x433px
Hi, /cgl/. I have a question for female cosplayers (or male crossplayers). I'm a writer, and I'm trying to create the appearance of a character for my current story. One thing I always do when designing characters is look at cosplayers, and talk to cosplayers. Not necessarily because I expect my characters to ever be cosplayed (they never have) but I like to design the characters with the idea that "what kind of fantastic clothes would people actually like to wear."

My question is simple though, pic related might give it away, what are your thoughts on cosplaying female characters with bald heads?
>>
>>9211482
Its hard to do because bald caps are either shitty looking or expensive and most people don't want to shave their head.
>>
File: ilia-with-others.jpg (26KB, 550x250px) Image search: [Google]
ilia-with-others.jpg
26KB, 550x250px
I wouldn't because it's a hard look to pull off, you have to be super beautiful facially
This scene cracked me up though
>>
Bald is odd because generally speaking only women who are traditionally beautiful can "pull off" the look in most people's eyes, and these same women would still look better with hair anyway. (i.e., Charlize Theron.)

Very few cosplayers will ever try to emulate bald characters as being bald; the vast majority of Furiosa cosplayers will still have short pixie cuts, most Aang gender bends will suddenly have long hair (without even the front part shaved like airbender women usually do), Eleven cosplayers will always do her blonde wig instead of the bald version. There are TONS of bald female characters across comics and sci-fi, but they're almost all very obscure or else aliens that would take a lot of body paint or even prosthetics, like the Asari from Mass Effect (if you count fleshy fronds as baldness, anyway.)

There's also the problem where a lot of people like to emulate a character and look at least somewhat the part. Hair is very recognizable. People will often remember others for their hairstyles (cut, colour, etc) other than their faces; a wig is way easier to do than a bald cap, and having no hair draws SO much attention to the face. If you don't really have the face for a character, it'll be a lot more obvious if you're bald than if you have a recognizable hairstyle.

If you still want the same feeling, though, maybe an undercut on your female character instead, OP?
>>
>>9211482
give her a distinctive headpiece to overcome issues mentioned ITT.

also male crossplayers often rely on wigs to soften their features so it is unlikely they will go for bald, fyi
>>
>>9211968
>Bald is odd because generally speaking only women who are traditionally beautiful can "pull off" the look in most people's eyes

This. I'm not an uggo but I won't be stopping traffic either. I shaved my hair off for charity and loved it. I felt very beautiful and would wear full makeup every day.

But still other women would tell me I'd made a mistake. One older lady asked me why I would deprive myself of my femininity.
>>
>>9212568
Honestly, screw those women. Despite what I wrote, I think it can be beautiful regardless of how ~conventionally beautiful~ the woman is.

Also, I daydream about not having to maintain hair, ahaha. I have very thick hair that takes ages to dry, but I also don't wear a lot of make-up so I don't think I could rock a shaved head without looking exhausted all the time.
>>
It would be hard but I've seen cosplayers do tank girl before. But a lot of the time it's with an army helmet. But, like the air bender tattoos are cool. Probably adding to the head with a tattoo like Jack off of mass effect would be recognizable. I feel like if a chick would have a bald head would be tough. But if it's clean like that Star Trek pic, or Eleven I would think they would have a softer personality.
>>
>>9212568
>One older lady asked me why I would deprive myself of my femininity.
men and women can grow long hair

and men are generally hairier than women anyway

what an unexamined life that old bird is living
>>
>>9211482
I am a minority but as a cosplayer with alopecia more bald women is always a plus.
The recent(ish) trend of bald/close cropped women in big movies (Mad Max, Deadpool) has been really confidence boosting.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.