[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

larp thread wharglarbh edition previous thread >>9156534

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 62

File: IMG_5766.jpg (3MB, 4272x2848px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5766.jpg
3MB, 4272x2848px
larp thread wharglarbh edition

previous thread
>>9156534

121% more blargh and blargh accessories
>>
>>9195632
So, Hungarian, you've been flaunting that landsknechte gear around, and I decided that I want me some of that. Got any patterns or such to use?
>>
Sorry if it's a stupid question, but do you guys have any worldwide known LARPers and such? Like IDK, a guy who's really known for being a great fighter or someone who makes decent costumes? I know cosplayers have people famous for propmaking skills and such (i.e. Kamui Cosplay) but nothing about LARPs
>>
>>9195797
Worldwide? Not really, as far as I know.
I know some people that make stuff, theoretically worldwide, but realistically it's at most national level.
>>
Hungarian, I just moved to Budapest! I know it's turning colder so I'm assuming most of the fests/meetups are tapering off for the year, but do you have any recommendations for a visitor friendly fest? I left all my gear at home because it took up way too much space/won't have time to participate but I'd love to see an actual yuro larpfest for once instead of t-shirts and sneakers bop it foamfest
>>
>>9195797
>>9195808
Also, the fact that I don't know them, don't mean they do not exist.

also, disclaimer, my country is pretty small, so national level should be taken with a grain of salt.
>>
File: GlovesOfTheSun.jpg (223KB, 1161x2064px) Image search: [Google]
GlovesOfTheSun.jpg
223KB, 1161x2064px
>>9195797
I don't know any one world wide famous, but tangentially related, I got really awesome new gloves from Esh-Esh and don't live in the same country.
>>
>>9195797
As far as I know there aren't any people who are that well known on a global scale, no. I guess you could maybe say some of the Youtube personalities come close? Basically all the well-known Youtube people who talk mainly about larp are cancer, though.

That kind of gets into a likely reason why nobody like you're talking about really exists, actually. See, the larp community is more split than most because there are so many different approaches and different types of rules etc. that the same approaches that apply to one larp usually won't apply to many others, except in the most general sense. When you try to treat all larps as the same, then you end up with the Youtube idiots who can't give advice with any nuance because they try to generalize what "larp" is like, when it's very different for every different game.

I guess that came across kind of rant-y, which it definitely wasn't supposed to. But yeah, that's why I think there aren't any universally-known larp figures.
>>
Has gropey been in lately?
>>
>>9196087
He was in the previous threat
>>
>>9195719
lots, but depends on which kind you want to make because there are a fuckton of different versions. truth to be told, every one of them is different, but at least give me the general idea.

>>9195797
>any worldwide known LARPers and such?
no such thing. Mostly because every game is different with different rulesets. You can't say XY is the best, you can only say XY is the best in his game. So that really makes it hard to get a world wide fame apart from attention whoring, because why would you care about people in other games that probably doing something completely different than you

>>9195813
Well, the only worthwile larp in this year that I know of is the Project Kepler, which will be at the end of October, it's a hard-scifi larp, but right now it seems like all the positions are full.

But tomorrow there will be a small meetup at Vérmező (next to the Déli trainstation) it's basically just a little swordfighting, but mostly social meetup where you can hit others with swords and such. No costumes or anything, but you can meet other larpers there and such.

There is a probability that two more worthwile larps will be held, one is may or may not be 2176, a postapoc larp without firearms IF the terrain problems can be dealt with and the other one is more of a chamber larp, usually in an abandoned barrack. but right know they aren't promoted so who knows if they will be held or not.

Also look up "LARP magyarország" group on facebook, you can get more info there
>>
>>9196233
>there are a fuckton of different versions
Well shit.. I did not think about that. To be honest, I have no clue what version I would want.

Yes, I know this is completely unhelpfull, but it is what it is. Are there any basic things that every version uses? Stuff like hosen or tunics (which there are probably 1093930 different variants of)?
>>
File: 411808216_da76a0a090_z.jpg (53KB, 640x465px) Image search: [Google]
411808216_da76a0a090_z.jpg
53KB, 640x465px
>>9196270
I might get way too into details because I do LK reenactment but here are the basics (skipping the late 15th stuff as it's not the stereotypical stuff and NEARLY the same as the civilian fashion back then):
First, you need a shirt. thankfully as with every LK stuff the pattern is kind of simple, but it needs a lot of materials. 3-4 meters of linen for a simple shirt that will reach middle of the tight / knee height. The neck and wrist part will need to be folded/pleated? I don't know the correct term. There are a lot of kind of "pleating" or whatever it is called, the honeycomb is one of the most complex but best looking ones, but you can find several other ones.

Then you have the doublet that goes on top of that. There are a literal fuckton of different kind of doublets, some that covers your chest, some that aren't and needs a front panel, some have very large and baggy arms (from early to mid 16th) to very form fitting arms (very early and late 16th to 17th) It can be opened up from wrist to elbow or no armpit, etc. As I said a lot of variations and I doesn't even started to go into the slashing patterns or when slashings have separate slashings.
You need roughly 3 meters of linen/silk and at least the same amount of wool/brocade/whatever for a simple one. It can easily end up in 4-5 meters just for the doublet if you want something more complex or even reach the 5-6 meters

cont.
(on pic, a simple version, not the best method or the most authetnic)
>>
File: hose.jpg (293KB, 884x951px) Image search: [Google]
hose.jpg
293KB, 884x951px
>>9196277
Then there is the hose. It's a joined hose alright, but you can have it either in full version that goes from the waist (end of ribcage) to the toes. Or leave the foot bare. Or go to only knee height and have a separate piece that covers the rest like a kneesock, or something that goes from waist just to the start of the legs and a separate piece covers the rest of the legs. Or a three piece one where you have a piece that covers the waist/lower torso a piece that cover the tights and a piece that covers the foot-knee part.
Or you can just leave out any of those part. And then comes the asymmetry where you can leave one of your tights bare but cover fully the other leg, etc.
legs are form fitting to mid 16th (slashing and various baggyness occurs) but from mid 16th VERY baggy hose starts to come around like the pludern hose and various variants of it.
3-4 meter of inner and 3-4 meter of outer layers you will need. While it's technically smaller than the doublet because you need to cut it out 45 degrees to the threadlines it really eats the material.

Then you need a hat. I won't even start to go into that. There are lots of hats. sometimes even a skullcap is sewed in them or a kettle hat but that's rarer.

Then you need a shoe, bear foot shoe is the most common but you can find a lot of other versions, knee high boots are only for the cavalry.

And you are done as long as you want to represent a simple landsknecht because you can have various accessories, like a waffenrock or the various outer garments that goes over the doublet.
>>
>>9196277
>>9196278
Thank ye very kindly. Now to think of colours.. and trial and error. I forsee so much error.
>>
>>9196299
color can be literally anything that existed back then. Landsknechts were not tied by any clothing lawss so they were allowed to wear anything in any color.

What you REALLY have to decide is which part of the 16th or 17th century you want, but if you want the stereotypical LK then you should stick to the 16th century. Even there there are a lot of variants.
Look at pictures of them and decide what you want and after that I can help with patterns or what you should look out for when you make it.
>>
File: IMG_5417_1_.jpg (51KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5417_1_.jpg
51KB, 500x333px
Why are bucklers so satisfying to use?
>>
>>9197046
cus they are small and tricky
Like your dick.
>>
>>9197315
lol
>>
>>9197046
it's just like you are punching the ennemy weapon out.

Btw, are those useless in larp ?
>>
>>9196219
>threat
Enjoying the new WOW update? Lol

I was going to ask OT for his advice on what clown white he like the most.
>>
Currently rebuilding a prop I made several years ago, it's for a Dieselpunk style photoshoot.
>>
>>9197742
This.

And now, one of the best fighters at my larp uses an arming sword and a buckler. Shit is amazing to watch.
>>
>>9198166
Where are you from? It sounds similar to one of the guys in my group
>>
>>9198166
I tried out a smaller shield for the first time last week when I was doing some playtesting for an upcoming game. Treated the shield like a large buckler since it was so light, and really liked the feel of it. I'm a little surprised more people don't go that route.
>>
So the last of the photos of Odyssey are up. Imma post a few of myself, please be gentle.
>>
Did a laser saber recently. anything to put on the paint so it don't go away with every heavy hit ?
Some flexible varnish ?
>>
>>9198758
Sic Semper Tyrannis
>>
File: 29202355282_b58a3d4ba4_n.jpg (29KB, 320x213px) Image search: [Google]
29202355282_b58a3d4ba4_n.jpg
29KB, 320x213px
>>9198811
There's a reason I ran away to Karakorum to start my own republic with Blackjack and Hookers.
>>
>>9197742
>Are those useless in larps?

Depends on what you want to achieve. If you're going for 'army battles' or up against projectiles, not so much. If you wanna fight off some ruffians, use it in a duel or go all civilized on someone's ass, it's the best in my opinion. Not to mention it's easy to carry and looks cool as hell if you're decent with it
>>
>>9198818
>>
>>
>>9198764
I think you'll want colored latex coating, rather than paint. But somebody who actually knows what they're talking about, please correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
I've got a friend looking for LARP recommendations in the Hudson Valley area. Most of the results I'm seeing are Vampire or Alliance, anybody know of anything else up there?
>>
>>9197742
>Btw, are those useless in larp ?

They can be a pain in the ass against the ultralight whipsticks that are currently popular in Wallonia, I dunno if they're used anywhere else.

Basically a mace whose head is the only part that has enough padding to safely hit someone with, the haft being barely an inch in diameter (core+padding).
Those things whip around as fast as a floret, and you're going to have a hard time keeping up when your shield is only 30cm across.

Sheer fucking bullshit is what it is.
>>
File: Apolitix.jpg (87KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
Apolitix.jpg
87KB, 480x720px
>>9199335
paint and then a thick coat of clear latex works fine.
>>
>>9198747
well, most people simply use shields as a passive defense (which isn't a good approach even for larger shields) And they want to use the buckler in the same way so it's no surprise they fail with it.
>>
>>9199763
Bucklers don't really work with a lot of UK larps as most big events expressly forbid shield strikes. Thus making a big chunk of having a buckler redundant.
>>
Hey guys, quick question here, I'm a Dutch guy and know that some of the harder Mytholon weapons aren't allowed. Point is, I'm not sure which ones are the harder ones. I was thinking of picking up this little club when getting some other stuff, but now I'm not sure if it's the kind that most organizations don't allow. Any ideas?

http://www.mytholon.com/en/weapons/foam-weapons/hk-weapons/9533/walter-club?c=1235
>>
>>9199910
hammerkunst weapons are usually the harder ones, although that one club isn't that hard in my opinion.
>>
>>9199919
Thanks man! For 25 euros I guess I can take the gamble, mainly because I really need a little club for those loutish peasants who you don't want to outright kill. Something about taxation paying me.
>>
>>9199910
Fellow Dutchie here. Some organisations ban any and all Mytholon, others allow even the harder ones. So if I were you I'd just check with the organisation. Unless you are planning to join a multitude of larps, then I'd avoid Mytholon in the Netherlands.
>>
>>9199929
It's with Games-n-stuff, rushing into the next Quon because I hadn't LARPed for almsot 1.5 years, maybe you might know for sure with them? Otherwise I'll send 'em a quick e-mail.

On an unrelated note, did you go to Elfia?
>>
>>9199933
I'm not sure with them. But I know Maerquin is against all mytholon and Eos has no problem with them.

Sadly I couldn't attent Elfia. Did you go? Was it any fun?
>>
>>9199992
Yeah, Elfia had some of the best weather I've had with it. I mean I was cooking within my armour, but it wasn't unbearable. And met some fun people, which is why I'm rushing into a new LARP as of now. Also I think they expanded the castle gardens, had some really slick looking mountain garden I hadn't seen before.
>>
What's a good rain proof solution? for a high fantasy game.
Trying to avoid a really expensive solution like an oil skin cloak.
>>
Anyone know where I could find a musket in foam ?
>>
>>9198764
Assuming your weapon is latex coated already, you can do what this anon >>9199727 suggests, however because the top coat of latex won't touch the latex of the weapon it won't seal fully and the top layer can peel off if it gets ripped or snagged.

I take some of my latex and water it down (be careful mixing latex with water- it can just 'curdle') and mix that into the paint I use. Slightly-latex paint will adhere way better than just acrylic. It will ruin any brush it comes into contact with though, so buy disposable ones. Then coat the whole thing in a thin coat of natural-colored latex (not too much or the thing will go yellow). If your weapon is plastidip it's even easier- just spray a coat of plastidip over everything.

>>9200429
Wool cloak. Cover it in Scotch Guard if you really need it. Long underwear. Just accept you'll get wet and wear wool stuff which will stay warm even when wet.
>>
>>9200012
>>9199992
Yea, check with the organizers. Also, if you know it's harder then the other things, hold back your swings even more then you otherwise would.

And yes, Elfia was a beautifull weather thing this time.
>>
>>9200429
wool. and a big hat or something along that line. I stood half an hour in the rain and only my outer layer got wet a little (and the feathers drenched so there is that...)
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (483KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
483KB, 1920x1080px
What's a good helmet to wear with a doublet ?
Don't really care about the type, as long as it doesn't look dumb. I just don't want to be the "guy too cool to wear an helmet".
Pic related is the style of the armor.
>>
>>9201210
kettlehat goes with everything
>>
>>9201210
salett.
http://spqr.se/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/1264.jpg
>>
>>9198651
New England, Tales of Valor, Cat Knight, Den Brother.
>>
anyone here fence

I... well I went on /asp/ to look for a fencing SCA HEMA thread sweet jesus that board needs to be nuked
>>
File: 1457915078866.jpg (53KB, 520x672px) Image search: [Google]
1457915078866.jpg
53KB, 520x672px
>>9201317
/asp/ is just a containment board for autistic fighting sports fans

only sensible general there is the airsoft one but its pretty pointless since every topic is covered by the millions of forums that hobby managed to collect. Don't know if that is true today since I haven't clicked the board in three years but I suggest you just contact a HEMA club that practices fencing or google.
>>
Could anyone post pictures of good ways to make leather shoes pretty please??
>>
>>9201317
well, at least you didn't went to /his/ where the "hema" threads are now. It's even worse than the time when they were on /asp/.

Anyway yes, some of us do hema and similar stuffs

>>9201380
do you want leather looking fake shoes or proper leather shoes. If the later then which kind?
>>
File: 1.jpg (112KB, 736x457px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
112KB, 736x457px
>>9201386
Not >>9201380, but I'm looking for patterns for almost a riding boot if anyone has a pattern.
More specifically a cross between 15/17 and 12 of pic related
>>
>>9201386
Proper leather kind. Roman Sandal types or basically kinds you would wear in the desert
>>
>>9201485
sorry, can't really help with those, Maybe Greek larpfag or Readmiww will be more of a help
>>
>>9201534
Well I guess I just need a diy on how to make shoes I can finish the exact design later
>>
>>9201555
It's not exactly the era you're looking for, but I found this one.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Viking-shoes/
>>
>>9201632
Oh that's totally great
>>
>>9201215
Can you kettle on a noble-type character? Like I'm making this somewhat swashbucklery noble dude who also has a more battlefield-oriented set since he's rich as fuck. Do you have any examples of people looking fancy while wearing a kettle?
>>
>>9200475
>Just accept you'll get wet and wear wool stuff which will stay warm even when wet.
Waterproof socks are amazing. You can get a pair of sealskins for about 30 quid in Millets, I highly reccomend them.
>>
>>9202171
>You can get a pair of sealskins for about 30 quid in Millets

This. We had swampfest this summer with everyone getting soaked from the shitty site we used and those in sealskins were dry as a bone.

Worth the price tag.
>>
File: 1309460592867.jpg (235KB, 480x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1309460592867.jpg
235KB, 480x1024px
>>9201870
burgundian kettle hat.
And every people in a kettle hat looks fancy, I mean if it was good enough for kings and princes then it's good enough for you.

Although if you have no or very little metal armour on you and you want styling then a stylis hat would be better
>>
File: 1327351736497.jpg (116KB, 500x456px) Image search: [Google]
1327351736497.jpg
116KB, 500x456px
>>9202230
here is a burgundian kettle hat. Also there are other kettle hat variations or stuff that evolved from kettle hats, like morions and stuff, those are valid too
>>
Hey /cgl/, what's the name of that helmet ? Can't find it.
>>
>>9202623
normann helmet with face mask / norman duck bill helm / norman phrygian helmet

or something along those lines
>>
>>9202632
thanks mate
>>
>>9202635
don't quote me on that though, it's late and norman stuff isn't that interesting for me
>>
File: 1400107609051.jpg (125KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1400107609051.jpg
125KB, 800x600px
Yuropean' here, is it true ?
Have to admit that most of the American Larps I've seen weren't good looking.
>>
>>9202645
it's a little biased as every image of that kind, but has more than just a grain of truth.

Generally speaking, yes it's true.
But of course there will be a lot of exceptions, there are good US larps and shit tier larps in europe. But good/decent larps are way more common in europe than in the US
>>
File: SOON.jpg (434KB, 1600x1053px) Image search: [Google]
SOON.jpg
434KB, 1600x1053px
>>9202623
I got one of those. it's pimp as fuck.
>>
>>9202252
Looks good. Where get?
And what is a stylis hat?
>>
>>9202703
>Looks good. Where get?
probably from blacksmiths who hate themselves at least as much as they love money and not starving to death

>And what is a stylis hat?
Anything that looks better what other have or at least as good as the ones that others have.
Also I wanted to write stylish
>>
File: Spoleto Beckett.jpg (212KB, 979x728px) Image search: [Google]
Spoleto Beckett.jpg
212KB, 979x728px
>>9202623
>>9202632
>>9202641

It's one of several mid/late 12thC helms that experimented with adding expanded facial protection to a nasal helm. It doesn't have a commonly accepted name but duck bill is an apt description. The primary source (pictured) is a fresco (1170+, probably 1170-1180) from Spoleto, Italy so calling it a Spoleto Helm also works if you want something more specific. I don't believe that Spoleto was part of Norman Sicily, being further north so this link is probably wrong or at least misleading. In any case it was an extremey rare style with similar helmets also known from Germany and Spain but always in the minority compared to ordinary nasal helms.

It's also a helmet that most people get wrong as on the original the the mask is quite open around the eyes whereas the drawing and >>9202667 give it much narrower slits that alter the look and function a fair bit.

"Phrygian" refers to the peak of the helmet being tipped forward, and were very common on pure nasal helms c.1130-1180 throughout Western Europe and were not in any way an Italo/Siculo-Norman specific style as often claimed.
>>
>>9202835
Several Phrygian Nasal helms in profile, alongside Domed nasal from the Winchester Bible (this leaf c.1180). The precise height and angle of the peak of course varied with these having fairly pronounced tipping while the Spoleto Duckbill has only slight tipping at the peak although admittedly the angle of the figure makes accurately judging the precise profile of that helmet difficult.
>>
>>9202645
Like Hungarian said, it's a bit of an exaggeration, but with a grain of truth. There are certainly shitty larps in Europe too, and the American one there would be considered below average in most games here. But in general, it's accurate to say that American games tend to have much lower standards, especially for costuming.

As an aside though, I just want to say that that leather armor kind of strikes me as the sort of shitty fantasy stuff you'd find next to EpicArmory stuff in online shops. All it's missing is gratuitous studs.
>>
File: serveimage[1].jpg (338KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage[1].jpg
338KB, 1600x1200px
So here's a possible idiot question.

How exactly are helms worn?
The reason I ask is because I often find leather suspension inside helmets (pic related) at blacksmith's stalls when there's a fair, but not every helmet has them.

I always figured you wore a padded coif/cap, and the metal straight on that, but does it need the extra open space as well?
>>
>>9203185
As far as I know, most if not all helmets were historically made with the suspension, as it provides much better shock absorption than just an arming cap. My guess would be that most reproduction makers didn't think people "back then" (whenever back then happens to be) were smart enough to figure that out, and so having not seen the inside of a proper helmet themselves, assumed it was just worn with lots of padding. In most cases I'm pretty sure an arming cap was worn in addition to the suspension, but I don't think it was entirely necessary except in a few cases.
>>
>>9203185
>but does it need the extra open space as well?
literally depends on what you want. Both existed and both are a valid option
>>
File: index[1].jpg (125KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
index[1].jpg
125KB, 512x384px
>>9203284
>>9203232

Thanks for the answers, guys.

Say I'd want to make something like pic related.
>>
File: silver_mask.png (29KB, 257x235px) Image search: [Google]
silver_mask.png
29KB, 257x235px
Where could I find a mask like this please ?
THanks.
>>
>>9203559
It looks like the face mask portion of >>9202835 repurposed, t b h.
>>
Does anyone know where to get a drinking horn with a lid? West Europe
>>
File: 1466974294088.jpg (397KB, 593x564px) Image search: [Google]
1466974294088.jpg
397KB, 593x564px
>>9203902
Just say Europe, there is no shipping restrictions between the EU, EES and Ukraine/Balkans, so you can basically buy one off any site without getting punished by shipping/import.
>>
File: larpers.gif (62KB, 900x280px) Image search: [Google]
larpers.gif
62KB, 900x280px
based on this past weekend's experiences, I bring you fresh OC
>>
>>9205855
well it was always well known that it was larpers who made larping shit
>>
>>9205862
Yeah but it wasn't up until now that I learned that 'most' of them do it intentionally.
>>
>>9205873
well you were naive and optimistic, you were there to have fun, not for looking at others. Right until now.
>>
>>9203559
As armour? Fuck if I know
For costume? Any halloween store right now should have something that will work
>>
File: swordsman-leather-doublet-3.jpg (96KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
swordsman-leather-doublet-3.jpg
96KB, 375x375px
Do you guys fight more 'competetive' (When you fight purely to win) or 'theatrical' (When you put effort to fight like your character and make it look nice)

For those who do the second-Any tips?
>>
>>9206666
I fight to win, but unlike the average larper I don't just frantically flail my sword around like a dildo and hope I bring the other guy down first before I run out of HP.

I stay defensive or passive aggressive until an opening comes up and then I go in for a clean cut which makes it easier for the other guy to play on it. If I get hit I back off and act on the wound to signal it to the others and then I act wounded until my next engagement, then I go back to wounded stance.

If you want to purely fight theatrical then you just imagine up how your character would fight and then follow it through. Put the most emphasis on your basic stance and how you act on your wounds, your wounded stance, avoid the dildo smacking technique when you swing/stab your weapon. If you are a loud character then come up with some fitting emotes and practice using them in practice fights to drill them in once you go "in".
>>
>>9206666
It all depends on context. if people are watching and it's like some heroic event I try to play it up so its more fun for everyone, if it's just some battle I'll just focus on that
>>
>>9206666
Other than roleplaying being injured, I tend to simply stick with the fighting style I'm most used to.

However, in duels I choose not to use any calls or spells or whatever, because I think that's lame.
>>
>>9206708
That's a pretty good tip. Thanks.
Also, does anyone have any LARP duel videos that show decent 'heroic' fighting?
>>
>>9206666
always for style points
Ive been fighting for a while, and have been in a decent amount of choreographed productions so I'm half decent and can beat wagglers most of the time
plus it feels fantastic to school an opponent while looking great.
If you lose, die with style.
>>
File: image.jpg (233KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
233KB, 960x640px
>>
File: stop this.png (8KB, 646x594px) Image search: [Google]
stop this.png
8KB, 646x594px
>Players spend events mostly sitting around waiting for staff to introduce the next fight
>In between events, Facebook group is full of roleplaying between characters who rarely, if ever, speak in person
>mfw

It's a LARP you fuckers, not a forum roleplay with optional live elements.
>>
>>9208449
>Autists?
>In my LARP?
Seriously, Im on your side
Can't stand people who just sit around and wait for the next mod to roll out
>>
Not sure if this is the place to ask, but I've been trying to find a foam smith that puts three small stars on his covers.

I used some of his weapons a while back and they were the best weapons I had ever used.
It's a guy in indiana if that helps.
>>
>>9208542
That would be Gorg the Blacksmith. I like his weapons a lot for high-energy battlegames, but if I'm being totally honest, I don't like that he sacrifices form as much as he does in pursuit of function. They're well-made and about as safe as you can get, but the fact that they don't look sword-like at all kind of ruins it for me.

Of course, I completely love his zweihander, since it actually looks like a sword.
>>
That face when a zweihander is proportionally a heavy normal length hand and a half sword for me... Sometimes I hate being 2 meters tall...
>>
>>9208542
>foam smith
saged, reported, deleted,called the cops and an exterminatus

>>9208625
> high-energy battlegames
like, there is a lot of deltaV there? or someone starts an exothermic reaction there that can sustain itself and produce a lot of excess energy? Maybe there are elementary particles with energies exceeding hundreds of thousands of electron volt? Maybe they have a very little particle collider in the park with them? Does the players observe mass and radiation during the game too? Did you guys found any Higgs bosons yet?
>>
>>9208791

Get back to work, Roel.
>>
>>9208828
Roel? Who is that?
>>
>>9208831
2m something buddy of mine that used a towershield in one hand and a loaned twohander in the other for shits and giggles.
>>
>>9208449
b-but i'm timid
>>
File: images-25.jpg (15KB, 313x470px) Image search: [Google]
images-25.jpg
15KB, 313x470px
>>9195632
Hey all, I'm new to LARP, and incredibly shit at making things, but I'm enjoying it a lot. I want to start making my own costuming, but I don't wanna embarrass myself by making something horribly bad.

I decided on a crusader style tabard, since it seems relatively simple, and my larp is heavy combat, so it's practical too.

Pic related is a stock image that's close to what I want to make. Only issue is I have no idea where to start. Assume I have plenty of fabric and a sewing machine. I'm researching myself, but I'd love some input from you guys on where and how to start. Thoughts?
>>
>>9208902
good new is, that you literally have to do only two stitches on the sides, plus the edges, of course.

Bad news is, if you made it out of shitty material or doesn't make it in the proper size and with measurements then it will still look mediocre at best.

Anyway as I said you can make it out of one pic and with only two stiches as I said if you make it from a long piece of cloth, fold in half, at the fold line will be your shoulders and the hole for your neck. sides have to be stiched together, but leave a hole for your arms (from the shoulders to roughly mid-ribcage)
May or may not you can sew the sides at the legs too, or not depending on the style.

If you make it out from heavier linen or canvas it could look better, and don't forget to make it form fitting a little from the end of the ribcage to the start of the pelvis.

That should cover most of it.
>>
>>9208835
That sounds like something I'd be likely to do, only problem is there are no good larps where I live so I haven't been to any..
All near here is a steampunk fantasy, another steampunk fantasy, a werewolf, and then stuff like amtguard. If I were to drive a couple hours I could get to a SCA group, but I would need dosh to do that.
>>
Anyone know how to make claws - or if it's possible at all - out of foam like pic ?
It's cool if I can buy it though.

>>9208902
Well, you just need a shirt, chainmail and a tablier.
You can find a shirt in your home if you're a normal human being.
You can cut the tablier from a big piece of cloth.
You can either buy the complete chainmail, or buy mail alone and put it all together. Less cost, but more time-consumed.
>>
>>9208902
I always recommend this tutorial to people looking to make their own tabard: http://tutorials.abbott.me.uk/high-quality-kit/how-to-make-a-surcote
I used it for mine, and mine has held up for the year and a half that I've been playing so far with no issues. Hungarian's process is probably easier if you only want a single color, but this one works better for a two-colored tabard (which imo looks a lot better unless you are specifically trying to make a crusader costume).

For materials, I couldn't find the two colors I wanted in the same material, so I ended up going with linen for one color and a wool-polyester blend for the other. The closest to wool you can get is probably your best bet, but like Hungarian said, linen is good too.
>>
>>9208853
git gud

>>9209249
I know some larp shops sell "claws" which are really just foam sticks that you hold in hand and are supposed to represent fist weapons. I think the problem with most foam claw weapons is that they're very brittle.
>>
>tfw your group is to small to afford having a bard

I want to re roll class so badly ;_;
>>
File: 1464848110786.jpg (95KB, 476x598px) Image search: [Google]
1464848110786.jpg
95KB, 476x598px
>>9209409
>tfw you had a bard, a mage, a doctor, an assassin, a warrior, a drunk prophet and an archer since the beggining
Perfect balance from the start desu.
>>
>>9209419
We have Knechts, Recruit Knechts, a Writer, Scouting Knechts and a Doctor.

And the Scouting Knechts are also part time Archer Knechts.

I want to re roll a Bard so that I can send out some sweet beats while watching other people get beaten by demons and orcs and stuff so that I wont have to.

Anyone know any good tutorials for military drums by the way?
>>
>>9208820
idk man, I'm just trying to figure out a shorthand for the kid of games that call themselves "full contact" without actually being full contact.
>>
>>9208500
The biggest offender though, if you'll excuse my ranting for a moment, is one guy in particular who has had about half a dozen characters by now compared to most people's 1-2. He keeps creating a new character, playing them for an event or two, which he spend sitting in a corner not interacting with anybody, and then deciding he doesn't like his character and making a new one.

And he always introduces this new character to the game before the event he joins at, by making a Facebook post where they run out of the woods around the town and collapse from exhaustion/wounds.

And then he spend the next event barely interacting with anybody, just sitting in the background for anything, and posts a few months later about how he doesn't feel like his character fits in with the others and wants to make a new one.

Like, fucking make up your mind, dude. Maybe one of your characters would fit in if you ever put any effort into actually playing one of them, instead of giving up when nobody approaches your dude brooding in the corner.
>>
>>9209409

>Not just entertaining your group with music and song and FUCK THE RULES

Seriously?
>>
>>9209923
"shit tier battle-games" is fair enough.
>>
>>9202623
>pig face
kek'd
>>
>>9210189
But some of them are actually good at being battlegames, and if that's all you want, calling them shit-tier because of it isn't really fair.
>>
>>9210599
I'm calling them shit tier because they calling themselves full contact. If they drop that term I can consider them good.
>>
Since I cannot abide this thread on page 7, what are some upcoming larps for you lot?

Tomorrow is the finale of a 10 year old twice yearly larp, the end of their world is Happening™, and despite never having played this larp, I decided to tag along to buff up the number of NPCs running around (we crossed the 100 line, so that's pretty cool).
>>
File: kandorya-3622.jpg (342KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
kandorya-3622.jpg
342KB, 1000x667px
>>9212411
There's inter-kandorya tommorow.
It has a bad reputation, but it's still pretty fun, and I don't know any other good medieval-fantasy LARPs in Francistan.
>>
>>9212411
Got a larp coming up next week. Only heard about it for the first time two weeks ago, giving me a total of three weeks to assemble a costume (with pitifully little time to spare due to studying engineering). I'm loaning stuff from five different people right now, re-using some gear from old costumes, and got my hands on some fabric to make leg wraps this weekend. I even got someone to make a sash for me in-game.

I might end up posting a pic here if the costume ends up looking halfway decent.
>>
>>9212572

Surely France has more than just one good larp.
Border hop into Wallonia otherwise

>>9212580

>three weeks prep time

You are a braver man than I. Good luck, be sure to post pics

I had to dig up a green tunic and matching Phrygian cap, first one I made but hardly ever wear because the fitting isn't quite right, because I have to play their local flavour of wood elf inspired human. Even dusted off my bow for the occasion. Luckily, I had enough gear lying around to make a full set.

I'd almost consider shaving and putting on a blond wig to pretend I'm Link, but I'd feel bad for spoiling these players' final moments.
>>
>>9202648
Wait, Hungarian, have we switched larp-posting to /cgl/ from /tg/?
>>
>>9212636
not really switched, both has larp threads, but /tg/ is fast and threads quickly 404, whyle /cgl/ is slow as fuck so the larpthreads can live longer
>>
Anyone wanna post what tents they use?
>>
>>9212910
I usually just don't. most of the time I just bring a hammock and a tarp, or just several blankets and sleep like that next to the fire.
>>
>>9212411
I have No Rest for the Wicked, a 40k Rogue Trader larp in a weeks time, then it's completely quiet until February next year.

>>9212910
I use this for Empire: http://soulpad.co.uk/products/soulpad-3000-hybrid
It fits me, plus my kit easily. It's also allowed on the IC field, so I don't have to travel far after a night at the tavern.
>>
>>9212910
I have a one person tent, but just found this and want to give it a try
>>
>>9213050
This would work even without the tent underneath
>>
>>9212411
Nothing for me in the immediate future; my next game isn't until November, and it's a good thing too, because I just lost my job due to manager asshattery and need to find a new one so I can afford the game.
>>
>>9213112
What state?
>>
>>9213121
Northern VA
>>
>>9213112
>Instant IC tent
>Crappy OC tent
>5 sticks
>Rough rope
>Flap as door
>Rough textile (cheap curtain)

I guess that image was mostly self-explanatory, but here's the translation for those of you who don't speak Dutch.
>>
File: serveimage[1].jpg (487KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage[1].jpg
487KB, 1200x900px
>>9212910
https://www.obelink.nl/sahara-safari-400.html

If you can stand getting real cozy, it fits 3 men and gear.
>>
Ok, so as I've yet to find a suitable larp to my tastes (I somewhat live in a dead zone of steampunk, warewolves, and stick tag), and I'm currently broke (job seeking), I'm looking to compile a list to buy once I do have currency. With that being said, if I do manage to find a local actual larp with a multi-day event, I plan on mostly staying in character, and thus need in character sleeping/living arrangements. While a simple tent could work for sleeping, I am somewhat skilled in some traditional crafts (carving, ornamental rope work, leather craft, basic metal work, basketry, cooking, fletchery, small handcraft), and thus would also like to have a in character meeting/business dealings room and a small but somewhat deep stall setup to hang wares in during the day.
As I'm unlikely to ever find a favorable traditional/high fantasy larp to my tastes and will likely end up having to settle on steampunk and/or drive more than I typically would be willing I need something that will also fit both of those requirements as well.

So in total, what im asking for is:
Plans for (or a reasonably priced buyable) tent for me, my kit, small wares storage, cooking, small dining/meeting/business dealing area. (I'd like something other than an old army circle tent ideally)
an in character portable stall, that can be attached to the tent in some reasonable manner.
As mentioned, portability is a requirement, so I'd preferably like to be able to pack away most of it into a couple strongboxes/chests, (understandably posts/staves would likely be the exception)
Any recommendations or ideas are welcome.
>>
Hey LARP, quick somewhat obscure question here: I'm playing a somewhat fanboy-tier squire in a week. Now my plan was to have a little booklet in which he'd be collecting knight's their wax-seals as if they were autographs from celebrities.

Now I want to start of with a few of them already, so I started trying to make seal-signets out of clay, but it's a real hassle with about 4/5th of my batch being useless. Anybody got any tips on how to amass these?
>>
>>9212411
Got Quon next week, with about a month prepping time. Thank God I'm playing a lower function, and that my newly bought armour is a cheap-o excuse for most of my costume. Combine it with a silly cap, and a nice little club and I'm all set for playing angry town guard #732.
>>
>>9213604
What's the name of that type of tent?
>>
>>9213823
Bell tent
>>
>>9212910
My group has one of these >>9213604 >>9213024
Good shit, but if someone is messy its not so fun to clean up (usually that guest guy who was to cheap to take the buss ride from the train station and needs a pickup, and has to leave extra early so he wont be around to break up camp!).

But currently I sleep in pic related, I've been sleeping outside yearly for 17 years and I haven't slept in any other tent dryer than this one. The extended entrance roof makes perfect for dropping off your gear and drying wet clothes/armor.

>>9213078
>what is rain, wind and weather?

You can use waterproofing treatment to make it viable, but then you would also be required to use a thick textile and that would just make the overall cost the same (or higher if your region has expensive materials) than those indian made tents.
>>
>>9213826
thanks
>>
>>9213845
Well where I live the weather is perfect for light tents, sometimes we only sleep in our sleeping bags outside
>>
>>9213874
Jealous af
Always tent, its either cold or raining
>>
>>9213874
Consider yourself lucky

>Meanwhile in Sweden: if you are going larping in May, pack a pair of shorts in case of sun and a winter coat in case of snowstorms
>>
>>9214230
You have to be wary of all the IRL Orcs on the way to your LARP too
>>
Would canvas drop cloth be good to use as material for a tent?
>>
>>9214778
From my understanding drop cloth is too thin usually.
>>
>>9214816
Well I have a really good sleeping bag and it doesn't get too cold here, I live in a desert.
>>
File: 7016580.jpg (143KB, 624x516px) Image search: [Google]
7016580.jpg
143KB, 624x516px
>>9213682
>(I'd like something other than an old army circle tent ideally)

Well the bad news is most of the new tents that are good also expensive and/or requires a lot of space but there are some reasonable prices surprlus military tents.

Or you can always try the option of using a big piece of heavy linen, rope and stakes/sticks and put up a tent from that
>>
>New millitant LARP has recently been announced
>Like 80% of the factions have the coolest concepts I ever came across
>Stuck in a never-ending dillema of 'Where should I go???'

FML
>>
>>9215169
Posts/spars/staves being big is understandable. Even the huge cathedral part tents places rent out though fold up into like 3ft*8ft*5ft though, so I guess size is a non issue issue. I guess I could go the custom route, but if I did, I'd like some amount of guidance (plans, etc).
>>
File: P1200142.jpg (733KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
P1200142.jpg
733KB, 1600x1066px
Name my band
>>
>>9215444
Potato sack and the misfits
>>
>>9215444
Fantasy RPG B-Squad
>>
>>9213747

If there's any book conventions near you, go check out the stall that carry all the old, decripit, not so popular books. Those and any stall that sells shit for scrapbooking tend to have a few cheapo generic seals.
>>
>>9213845
>(usually that guest guy who was to cheap to take the buss ride from the train station and needs a pickup, and has to leave extra early so he wont be around to break up camp!).

Yeah, see, no. It's important you vet people for shit like this. No clean up, no vacancy.
>>
>>9213050
I could translate those inscriptions, if you want.
>>
>>9215706
>>9213286
Way ahead of you.
>>
>>9215363
>I guess I could go the custom route, but if I did, I'd like some amount of guidance (plans, etc).
the beauty of that is if you have a big enough linen tarp you can pretty much put up in nearly any way, depending on the terrain and what you want.
Obviously it won't be as good as a proper tent in most of the cases, but if you know how to put it up it's close enough
>>
>>9212615
and you looked glorious, you sexy beast
>>
File: helms.jpg (77KB, 591x720px) Image search: [Google]
helms.jpg
77KB, 591x720px
What's a good way to overcome shyness ?
Even as a medic with a mask, I have a really hard time talking to other people, and let's not talk about getting into a group.
Should I try to find new-comer and make a group with them as they'll probably be as lost as me ?
>>
>>9215781
I would advice stabbing in the back shyness with a dagger but I'm a stabby person so I might be biased.

Other than that, yeah find someone you enjoy the time you spend with. A friend or something along that line
>>
File: NNzJ8G8[1].gif (484KB, 448x223px) Image search: [Google]
NNzJ8G8[1].gif
484KB, 448x223px
>>9215780

Thanks, stalker.
>>
>>9215444
I Couldn't Be Arsed To Take My Piercings Out
>>
>>9216173
I'm pretty sure those are just parts of his leather "armor"
>>
File: 1475720461971.png (89KB, 509x467px) Image search: [Google]
1475720461971.png
89KB, 509x467px
What does it mean when someone says a larp is "consent-based?"
>>
>>9216211
that you need to buy extra petrol on the gas station because it will be a long night and you have to set a lot of people on fire
>>
File: 070916_0892.jpg (95KB, 1136x852px) Image search: [Google]
070916_0892.jpg
95KB, 1136x852px
meanwhile, during the weekend there was a local con where we as usual went to promote larping, and let people try out our larp swords.
One of the many pics that was made there
>>
>>9215444
Sack guy is best guy
>>
>>9216236
Gopnik as fuck
>>
>>9216301
they were cool guys, and it was fun to see people cosplaying as slavs. Although I don't know why the unicorn got there in the picture, he couldn't even do the slav squat.
>>
>>9216311
He's obviously a western spy.
>>
>>9215444
This is like a weird Fighting game line-up with a fromsoft crossover.

[spoiler]Sack Guy is the most op char btw[/spoiler]
>>
>>9216211

You can't do shit against or with another character ICly, no matter how benign, without their consent.

e.g. a mate of mine ICly drugged me once and staff came to tell me the potion would make me see everyone as orcs, for which my character had a (hate)boner.

At a consent based larp, you'd need the "victim's" permission for that. Or to ICly steal their shit. Or to ICly stab them. You get the idea.
>>
>>9216311
You sure those guys were cosplaying?
>>
>>9217056
yes
>>
>>9217018
Sounds like a boring-ass hugbox. No wonder the Magischola people endorsed it.
>>
What spesr like wrapon would be the best for LARP? I love the Poleaxe but I'd probably crush some manlet if I swung too hard.
>>
>>9217875
>wrapon
Weapon

Bump I guess
>>
>>9217875
Poleaxes are great.
Halberd is better. Only wrapon I use
>>
Hey strangers. Whats up?

>>9215444
From left to right:
>Renfest skank
>Fetlife user name "Darfyre Yvil1"
>"My fursona shits in diapers"
>Generic Larper 0467398
>Sir GitGud DiesLots
>Gadje dem dilo
>>
>>9218129
>Fetlife user name "Darfyre Yvil1"
>"My fursona shits in diapers"
>Sir GitGud DiesLots
Fukkin gold, mate

>Gadje dem dilo
I assume thats something in gypo-speak
>>
>>9218139
>I assume thats something in gypo-speak
You'd assume right.
>>
Could someone direct me to or dump things related to leather working? More specifically medieval accessories. Belts, purses, shoes, etc.
>>
Are their Bloodborne or dark souls themed larps?
>>
>>9217831

On the contrary, it's a shitfest of people acting like abrasive douchebags, doom and gloom chaotic evil or both, since you can't stomp their face in to put them in their place. ICly anyway.

Not exactly a hugbox, but pure unadultered shit, either way.
>>
>>9217875

It doesn't really matter since it's a foam weapon that doesn't act like a real weapon and you'll end up using every polearm the same way anyway.
>>
>>9209249
You could try to make them out of thermo plastics like polymorph or just use glue gun glue. You can find tutorials for them in pinterest (shitloads of good larp related tutorials there)
>>
>>9217018
>>9217831
>>9218388
That all sounds super weird.

I mean I know here you can poison anybody or feed them hallucinogens IC without asking if it's ok and they'll have to react accordingly once you give them the game instruction.
Fighting with fists or weapons happens in slow motion and the winner is decided by an agreement or rock-paper-scissors. The one losing can choose if they want to die and will receive a backup character afterwards, unless the winner is super OP against you and then you just die. Many deaths are planned beforehand.

But for some reason I think getting consent from every damn contact if I can punch them or feed them chicken shit in secret is ridiculous. I find it goes against everything larping is supposed to be and takes a lot of excitement out of it, if you constantly protect your character by denying things that would create more drama and playability for you and other people. Wtf.
>>
>>9218425
>I find it goes against everything larping is supposed to be and takes a lot of excitement out of it
and using rock-paper-scissors to determine a fight isn't?
>>
>>9218243
I have this link for ancient shoes. Other then that, Google, I guess?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Viking-shoes/
>>
>>9218425
I can get obtaining consent for certain things. I'm familiar with a couple cases where I'm from of people getting panic attacks from IC torture or getting manacled while taken prisoner. Unpleasant memories I guess. Usually you'd just get around that by using truth serums/rituals or just keeping a guy on watch.
>>
>>9218273
Not that I know of, but I helped playtest a game that's still in development that drew some inspiration from Soulsborne for a few of their game mechanics. Status effects causing a build-up to their full effect instead of being all-or-nothing was a big one (like, you get hit by Stun once, you're just slowed a little bit; if you get hit by it again before the effect expires, you take the full Stun).
>>
>>9218425
You know what the best part is? The people who run those larps are selling them as "Nordic style" because they don't use numbers and stats, in order to profit off of the people who idolize Nordic larps.
>>
>>9219058
I can't decide if that hilariously funny or just really fucking sad
>>
>>9218129
Hey Gropey! War of the Wings this weekend?
>>
>>9218522
RPC is propably used only if both want to win and they have equal strength.
>>
>>9219943
to me, deciding it like that is way too close to passivity. I mean there are a lot of things that you obviously can't represent good enough in a larp so you need a system mechanics for it.
Sword fighting isn't one of those things. That's where I draw the line
>>
>>9219950
I feel like this kind of combat resolution certainly has its place in social/noncombat larps. If combat is an unimportant part of the larp, I can certainly understand the choice to let character skill rather than player skill decide the result.

For instance, a local larp I know has works with skills, some of which are 'basic' skills, some 'advanced' skills. Skills range from 0-5, with 0 meaning 'impossible to do', 1 meaning 'untrained' and 5 meaning 'the very best there is'. Players start with a 1 in each basic skill and a 0 in each advanced skill, then can 'buy' advances at a skill point cost equal to the level they want to advance to.

One such basic skill is 'fight'. When two people duel, they simply add any modifiers to their fight score (e.g. improved arms/armour or poison, capped at 6), then do RPS in case of ties. Being a social larp, all-out brawls never happen. For a larp such as this, I'd argue letting player skill determine the outcome of a fight would actually be to the detriment of the game.
>>
>>9215448
>>9215656
>>9218129
10/10, thanks fellas
>>
>>9219989
>>9219950

I've gotta agree with Hungarian on this one.
I would never let some abstract numbers on a sheet, let alone something like rock paper scissors, dictate whether my character lives or dies in a fight that I might not even have instigated, just because some random twit decided to allocate his points differently and/or has been playing there longer than me.

That, to me, is a broken game.
>>
>>9219989
there are indeed some cases when it's accaptalbe but if every second character has some kind of weapon on him or the entire scenario is anything but peaceful then it's not the case.
I mean, can you imagine for example a mafia scenario where different families try to do a heated discussion about territorry and stuff and the violent solution isn't stabbing the other fuckers or shooting them down but standing face to face and doing a rock paper scissors with a straight face as if that is the most epic thing to happan that night.
It's technically an "out of game" solution for an in game problem it brings you back to the real world when you have to actively think about the rules and do some rules wise things instead of playing your character
>>
>>9212572
It is not the only good one.

Most people won't call it good, too, as the organisation has a reputation to only move from "don't do shit" to "solve the player problem", putting way to many godlike NPC. The player are told to be too prone to negociate everything rather than fighting. I also heard that name frequently linked to "money machine".

But it's the longest running, and the bigger larp here.
>>
>>9221217
Could you give me more names of LARPs here please ?
>>
>>9221535
The eXperience group always make quality larp, and innovatives ones. but places are few.

Last one was a galactica larp/murder in a house. Using artemis ( a Spaceship Bridge Simulator made by trecky ), putting 2 squads of crews
on differents room, with only the coms officier able to communicate between the 2 groups, and some fighters completly isolated with a airsoft talky.
The game, and the character sheets (can't be galactica if everyone isnt' neurotic) provided drama.

Their others larps are also.. special.
Most borderline murderparty.

One larp/airsoft op on a abandoned sanitarium with a 24h no stop no safe zone game. Based on paranoïa and mistrust between teammates, and total encirclement from ennemies, for maximum "stalingrad" feeling.
>>
>>9220970
>>9221112
Well, I find it stupid for a medieval/fantasy stuff, but for a lovecraftian, when combat is really sparse and most char would have 0 competence in it, having the veteran and the brawler sailor instawin against one more civilised folk, and needing 3 common men to be stopped would make sense.
For unarmed fighting, of course.

>>9222319
you also have shitload of larp here. quality vary. Also, some assos aren't affiliated to the fedegn
>>
>>9222363
unarmed combat is different because there are no good way to represent it safely.
I'm mostly talking about fights with weapons.

Also as I said there are a handful of scenarios where it is accaptable to go hard rules on combat but most of the time it hinders the game
>>
>>9222363
god dammit, forgot link. http://www.fedegn.org/calendrier-liste

>>9222365
Agreed. Better play pen and papper if what you do ig don't matter anyway.

But having a good fencer player on a non combatant role schooling the fighters can break a game, too.
>>
>>9222367
well first of all you assume that the better fencer will be a shitty roleplayer. I mean this is true for everything else which involves IRL knowledge, be it science or physical skills that you learned.
The same problem exists when someone plays a wizard but other people knew the magic fluff better and school him.
>>
>>9222367
It's possible to in irl know what something should look like(ie how they hold the sword/what they do) without having the 'dexterity' to do it.Their character could also have a crippling fear of a real fight so they could spar fine but be non-combatant if anything happened.

Sure maybe you don't always want to show all your irl knowledge as a character but there are definitely ways to accommodate certain things into a character if you know how to roleplay it.
>>
anyone have a good fitting gambeson pattern they can share? I know someone here must have one
>>
Does anyone know how to get a textured scale pattern on fabric? I'm going to be making a kobold for a larp next year and I want to get a textured look similar to the hands of this http://67.media.tumblr.com/d1d34bafb4d573b1cabd4e41aad04721/tumblr_inline_oagzz3hges1sej0xi_500.jpg
>>
>>9222373
It's one thing I've discussed occasionally. The fact that you can actually do some of this stuff yourself rather than have an abstracting it seems to escape a lot of people.

I remember a friend talking about an idea where he'd play a master of disguise and have cards telling people his current identity was and pretend he was someone else in-character. I replied why he didn't just create some actual disguises and legitimately deceive people. Granted, he immediately realised what a bad idea it was, but it made me think a bit.

We were in a rules light LARP, but you still get a lot of people clamoring for more rules bogging it down, and a couple crossovers from more crunchy systems. You get a lot of weirdness of people who don't like IRL skill unbalancing the game while advocating for XP systems that create a lot of Old Guard dominance. I don't get the mentality of people who spend months trying to grind or pay for their chars to get up to competitiveness in a rules-heavy LARP when they could probably spend less time increasing their STR by hitting the gym, increasing their CON by doing some cardio, increasing their INT and WIS by doing some reading, or increase their CHA by fucking talking to people IRL for a rules light LARP.
>>
>>9215444
dude with all the leather in the middle actually looks like he really understands how to do layering. Like he looks like a generic bioware character but it's kinda neat.
>>
>>9222845
>anyone have a good fitting gambeson pattern they can share?
you do realize that a fitting pattern must be made for the person, right?

>>9222950
digital painting on fabric? There are shops for that, but it won't look like the one on pic, you have to add material on it to be really look like that (and it will be cheaper than digital printing probably, although more works sensitive)

>>9223096
>I remember a friend talking about an idea where he'd play a master of disguise and have cards telling people his current identity was and pretend he was someone else in-character.
I actually played in a larp like that. The first larp in my life was like that. It was a real shitfest looking back from now.

> I don't get the mentality of people who spend months trying to grind or pay for their chars to get up to competitiveness in a rules-heavy
It's easy. They WANT to improve but they don't want to put effort in it. Have you ever tried the so called idle games on various game sits? or clicker games. You don'thave to do anything and one fucking number grows or something to that effect. Sometimes you have to click but even then you can just use a clicker bot. And the you "advance" and sometimes there is even a "story" too. So you can feel that you achieved something when in reality you just sit on your ass the whole day staring at screen. Which is way easier than actually achieving something.
It's the illusion of achieving things
>>
>>9223394
>you do realize that a fitting pattern must be made for the person, right?

I'm 180cm tall and 80kg in weight, that is pretty standard body size and shape to me. With the exception of measurement adjustments, I did not expect there to be not much else in pattern variety.
>>
>>9223458
clearly we have different ideas about what counts as fitting.

Look up medieval tailors assistant there is a doublet pattern there, modify it to be a gambeson to your size, done.
>>
>>9223490
Found it, thanks a lot mate!
>>
whats the best way to tailor chainmail? How tight do you want it to be, should it hang off your arms, or kinda tight on your padding?
>>
File: hastings_%E9quipements_g%20.jpg (196KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
hastings_%E9quipements_g%20.jpg
196KB, 750x1000px
>>9223809
>whats the best way to tailor chainmail?
if someone else make it for you

>How tight do you want it to be, should it hang off your arms, or kinda tight on your padding?
kinda tight on your padding
Look at the pic, ignore the arm parts ,that's waaaaay too loose. Look at the torso part. That kind of "stertching" is what you want. Obviously you have to make it follow your body line so the waist the shoulders, etc. Same with the arm, and give little roome where you bend your bodyparts like the elbow.
The armpits are a clusterfuck.
>>
>>9223824
I always just left a small open space at the armpits. It may not be historically accurate, but who's going to inspect your armpits anyway? Not worth the trouble imo.
>>
File: 150-3_gallery.jpg (65KB, 483x400px) Image search: [Google]
150-3_gallery.jpg
65KB, 483x400px
>>9201386
Do you have any, for lack of a better word, blue prints for leather shoes, purses, etc. I'm slowly working on an early crusader kit.
>>
>>9223394
By textured I mean like actual physical scales on the fabric. I want to go for a leathery feel and I've contemplated using liquid latex on it and letting it dry
>>
>>9223546

Mind, if you take the tunic type of gambeson, the fitting is a lot less difficult.
>>
>>9223824
>that's waaaaay too loose
>Realize everyone and their grandma wears their arms that loose

Learn something new every day.
>>
>>9224285
99% of the chainmails out there are way too loose.
Either because they buy it from a site that produces one size that fits none or because they doesn't even realize that you can tweak the pattern and make it fit you like a cloth, instead of just make three tubes and done with it.
But most of the chainmails are not authentic even on reenactors so there is that, because most of the time it should be flat, riveted links, not round butted ones.

>>9224088
have a few, but I don't know if any of them fits crusaders

>>9223923
that's an option, I even seen a few people let it open but putting there a little more material and then pull it together with a leather string, like tying your shoe.
>>
Hi
>>
File: NotPosingImNotAModel.jpg (491KB, 1461x974px) Image search: [Google]
NotPosingImNotAModel.jpg
491KB, 1461x974px
(Yes I know my chaimail is over-sized, hadn't LARPed in ages so half my gear is oversized since weight-loss and what-have you.)

As a conversational topic though; the weekend is over and I just want to hear what kind of cool events everybody had! So if you had any, or just want to brag about something or other you did on an event recently, now's the time!

I've just played a whole event as a sort of man-servant to the lieutenant of the Guard, and my nose is still brown even now. Had great fun, and learned how awfully tiring it is to be an actual servant. (My bud needed some time to get used to a personal fanboy, even surprising him with how eager I was to serve.)

My biggest highlight of the event was bothering knights about a wax-seal or signature after a tournament, and just playing a stuttering mess fanboy.
>>
File: Jorvik Shoe typology.png (87KB, 926x528px) Image search: [Google]
Jorvik Shoe typology.png
87KB, 926x528px
>>9224088
I'm part of a re-enactment group that covers Crusades 1-4 amongst other things. What particular dateline,culture and status are you aiming for?

Shoe making is a bit tricky, so you are probably best starting off with simple turn shoes rather the more complicated calf boot styles.

This article has detailed instructions and patterns for making turn shoes.

https://regia.org/members/kit/A%20beginners%20guide%20to%20turnshoes.pdf

Purses are the generic circular pouch with drawstring.

http://domesticgeekgirl.com/cosplay-2/leather-circle-drawstring-pouch-tutorial/

>>9224435
Just back from the 950th anniversary Battle of Hastings. Mud, rain and sunshine amid utter the chaos of 1066 warriors fighting over Senlac Ridge.
>>
>>9224435
I had to work on saturday. It was pretty awesome when I finally went home
>>
>>9224438
Mud and rain seems quite fitting for the memorial of that event though.

>>9224450
Well atleast you got that going for you which is nice.
>>
>>9224480
on the other hand I've went to a lot of events this year including Drachenfest so there is that.
And it looks like I can bring a whole hungarian rotte to the Landsknecht camp next year if everything is going right
>>
>>9224216
I asked a friend who's made stuff like that before, she recommended fabric paint and stencils in the pattern you want. A liquid latex coating could work too, but I feel like that wouldn't breathe well at all.
>>
>>9224438
Currently I'm going for a french knight in the early half of the 12th century. I'd like to make a separate kit for 1150-1200 at a later date though.

On the note of the Hastings reenactment, how was the cavalry?
>>
File: jacket.jpg (91KB, 634x356px) Image search: [Google]
jacket.jpg
91KB, 634x356px
So I've been trying to find a jacket like these in charity stores but they're all covered in modern zips and things. If I bought one and picked the zip off and added some generic looking buttons would that look weird? I don't really want to invest in this and it end up looking awful....
>>
File: water test.jpg (557KB, 2000x1496px) Image search: [Google]
water test.jpg
557KB, 2000x1496px
Clothed chain mail guy here

Wanted to see how the structure would hold up if it got exposed to water (in case it got drenched through various ways) so I took my second test piece made out of the intended material (2x layers of wool) and drowned it in water.

It definitively shrinked a bit, the rings are now tight to each other, and the rings that were underneath the leather borders got very rusty (obviously since it couldn't dry as fast or the same way as the rest of the rings did).

I'm thinking about ditching my whole chain mail and just buy a bunch of these instead to make it more sustainable in the long run:
https://www.battlemerchant.com/Chain-Mail/Butted-Mild-Steel/Chain-mail-square-piece-8-20cm-ID8mm-zinc-plated::2261.html
https://www.battlemerchant.com/Chain-Mail/Loose-rings-Accessories/1-kg-loose-chain-mail-rings-ID8mm-zinc-plated::2238.html?MODsid1=7f9676m4nu3pq3i0f3u0549jh2

Or should I just drown my current rings in oil before sealing them in underneath the leather in the final product? I think that might just end up having the wool absorb most of it though and have little effect.
>>
>>9224996
are you intending to have the chainmail exposed, or covered on both sides?

If it's gonna be incased by fabric, zinc plated rings would be fine. You'd still get the realistic weight and movement
>>
File: serveimage[1].jpg (148KB, 1000x826px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage[1].jpg
148KB, 1000x826px
>>9224991

It will be visible, and it will look worse than weird.

Try to find a leather doublet to buy. If that's too expensive, make one out of pleather. Yes, pleather looks horrid. It will still look better than a modern jacket with the zippers removed.

If you don't need sleeves, get one of these in a military surplus.
>>
>>9224996
even if you treat the links in oil or burn the oil on it or even apint it it doesn't matter. Sooner or later it will rust as the protective layer comes of.
That might be a few months or a few years depends on a lot of factors
>>
>>9225270
Thanks for the tips! I guess I'll just keep hoping for a button up on. I'll keep an eye out for affordable doublet's.

I unfortunately do need sleeves, I'm getting this jacket ready for when the cold really hits this year as none of my coats are suitable.
>>
File: niym77wXzL1u9bqm1o1_1280.jpg (151KB, 1132x770px) Image search: [Google]
niym77wXzL1u9bqm1o1_1280.jpg
151KB, 1132x770px
>>9224833
If you ever want any help with either kit then ask away. Unless you want two seperate hauberks then the main differences between early and late 12thC kits are the helmets, shields and some accessories, so most parts of the kits would be shared.

At Battle there were about between 40-60 cavalry, it was hard to count from inside the lines. They were charging all over the place, and I'm glad that I was never on the receiving end- chunky horses moving at speed in large numbers are pretty un-nerving even when you know they are not actually out to get you.
>>
>>9225783
My current plan is modifying my hauberk going to add an integrated coif and tailor the sleeves. I really need to make the soft kit. I just need to find places to get wool and linen, and learn how to sew better.(I bought Medieval Tailors Guide and have been searching other places like here) My buddy has managed to get me a large amount of leather that I'm going to make all the tiddly bits with. After that I'm going to focus on procuring the correct weapons. From what I can tell the main shield difference is in the earlier half the tops are rounded then they become straight going into the 1200s evolving into the shorter heater shield. Is that correct?
>>
>>9225783
One other question. What type of paint would one use for shields and helmets? As I understand it many helmets were painted as an easy rust preventative. I've been painting and repainting my helmet different ways to try and find a pattern I really like. Currently its checkered halfway up in blue and white.
>>
>>9226171
I think the historically accurate paint is made from egg whites or something? But mostly I've seen people recommend automotive paint if you're not too worried about being 100% historically correct.
>>
File: BNF Latin 15675 Moralia in Job.jpg (150KB, 1000x647px) Image search: [Google]
BNF Latin 15675 Moralia in Job.jpg
150KB, 1000x647px
>>9226158
Pretty much. The classic teardrop kite shield was used into the 1130-1140s (longer in Italy and Germany), after which flat-top kites as in the image were used. Heaters take over during the 1230-50s.

Flat-top kites were deeply curved, much more so than the teardrop or heater shields used either side of them. You can see in the image how they envelop the body, so when hugged tight they offer a 180 degree wall of wood.

>>9226171
>>9226692
Egg yolks were the main binding agent for medieval paint, the pigments were usually the same as in clothes dyes. In the 21stC Dulux Matt Wall and Ceiling paint is good option.

Some helmets were painted in the 12thC, but it seems the majority were not. It's a matter of preference really.
>>
File: leathered.jpg (196KB, 1200x898px) Image search: [Google]
leathered.jpg
196KB, 1200x898px
>>9225034
>are you intending to have the chainmail exposed, or covered on both sides?
Borders will be covered as well as a few strips running over, like in pic related. I'm just using plastic leather to experiment with designs right now hence why it looks like ass.

>>9225334
Yeah I thought so too, guess I'm gonna have to cave in on this project having (decently) legit materials and get zinc plated rings for the mail.
>>
All this RPS talk is saddening.

>>9219409
I did. It sucked massive schlong. Worst SCA event I have been to in a long while.

I am literally going to the local free rennfair this weekend with my girlfriend to cleanse my palate, because at least its supposed to be cheesy, and I can eat a honking big turkey leg.

>>9222845
>>9223458
Get measured by someone who knows how to make clothes first.

Put it on, and use lace to "baste stitch" where you want it tailored. Remove the extra, and then use some extra rings to hem it closed.

You want it fairly close fitting to the padding. If the padding is thick enough, the compression of the padding will still allow flexibility.

>>9224285
Just because everyone does it doesn't make it right.

>>9224364
Hello

>>9224435
>half my gear is oversized since weight-loss and what-have you

Good for you, bro! This is an acceptable excuse.

>>9224438
Awesome pic, stealing and sharing.

>>9226171
>>9226692
>>9227084
Eggwhites and pigments, or oil and pigments for historical accuracy.

Modern Krylon or acrylic for durability. No one will be running a chemical analysis on your paint, and its a practical anachronism that cannot be told apart by eye only.
>>
>>9228244
I would fold the pleather over so the edge isn't visible and also get some thicker topstiching thread.
>>
>>9201317
>>9201346
>>9201386

/asp/ie here from when it first opened. Believe it or not, HEMA and martial arts and all the likes used to be talked about openly and happily there. Now, like Anon said, it's just a containment board for /wwe/ fags and Chinese Moot refuses to do anything. Felt like ass when he bent us over to bring the cancer over from /sp/ to /asp/.
>>
>tfw want to be more active in SCA
>tfw majority of SCA these days are 40+ y/o
>Most people attending don't tent out in camps anymore, they bring RVs and air-conditioned, portable domiciles
>Everything for sale is well over $300 it looks good and $500 if it's handmade
>People trying to sell rattan for weapons $20 a stick
>The mentality of tournaments and simple sparring is nothing but extremely tryhard, rhinohiding faggots
>You no longer see chivalry in crown listings or anything of the sort anymore

It's a fucking jewfest and the magic is just gone. If you want to invest in any sort of group, even if it's a shire, you best expect spending upwards of a grand and having to drive out four-something hours to every single event or your group will criticize you for not spending every waking moment doing SCA-related things.

It's fucking ass.
>>
>>9228601
Im cherry picking folks our age, and working on making active events again. Where you located?
>>
What are some decent weaponmakers that ship worldwide, other than Calimacil?
>>
>>9228828
You buy from your local (continent's) retailer. Also PLEASE TELL US WHERE YOU LIVE SO WE WONT HAVE TO ASK EVERY GODDAMN THREAD.

Anyway, when it comes to foam weapons it will go down to two manufacturers.
If you want soft foam, Palnatoke.
If you want core less, Calimacil.

I have no personal experience with Forgotten Dreams or Wyvern Crafts but they seem alright based on the lack of negativity that usually emits from larger manufacturers who are bad at what they do.
>>
>>9228699

Kingdom of Meridies my man. I hope to go to the next Fools War or Red Tower next I can help it; live in the deep South, so it's difficult to make drives sometimes.
>>
>>9229509
>Forgotten Dreams
That stuff has a habit of breaking when you look at it too hard. Beautiful weapons (mostly), but unfit if you actually want to fight often with them.

However, my experience with them comes from quite long ago (I'm guessing five-ish years), so they might have shaped up since.
>>
>>9229617 not either of the anons in this convo, but...
I've heard bad things about meridias, are any of them true? More specifically I've heard bad things about the local shire (vulpine's reach). I'd rather not actually go to a event if any of them are true, and if it's only the local, I'd rather tool the three hours down to Atlanta.
>>
>>9229738
That was the rumor when I started as well but I see a lot of people with them today and less nagging about them breaking.
>>
>>9229509
>If you want core less, Calimacil.
what does that even mean. I seriously hope you don't imply that calimacil weapons doesn't have a core
>>
File: AU MS 24 Folio 12r (c.1190).jpg (108KB, 1000x888px) Image search: [Google]
AU MS 24 Folio 12r (c.1190).jpg
108KB, 1000x888px
>>9228373
>stealing and sharing.

Page 105, (listed as 3275 because all the Jorvik dig reports have a single page count across all the various volumes)- AY17-16 Leather and Leatherworking in Anglo-Scandinavian and Medieval York.

A pdf copy is available online and can be be found by googling "AY17-16 Leather".

Probably one of the best English language sources on medieval shoes (and many other leathery things) across a wide timespan. It includes a great depth of detail on the construction of the shoes that should make reconstructing them much easier.

"Shoes and Pattens: Finds from Medieval Excavations in London (Medieval Finds from Excavations in London)" is another fine volume although as with the rest of it's series it starts the clock at 1100AD. The section on shoes for people with various foot deformities in the archaelogical record is particularly interesting.
>>
>>9224438
>>9225783
>>9226692
>>9227084
>>9228373
>>9230185
Thanks for the advice and info. You guys are a wealth of knowledge.
>>
>>9230228
As I said, here to help. I'm my local groups resident bookworm and most years I end up spending more on books than kit.
>>
File: brigandine15thcentury4013ce.jpg (279KB, 1000x1370px) Image search: [Google]
brigandine15thcentury4013ce.jpg
279KB, 1000x1370px
Can you overlap plates with lamellar like you can with brigandines to get a kind of form-fitting effect?
>>
>>9230431
yes
>>
Going to play as a pirate group in some militant LARP group. What style/theme can I give them (17th century Spanish halberdbro's, English armada etc) so we won't be the guys who only use one-handed swords and get rekt?
>>
>>9232517
firearms.
plural.
everyone should get at least three pistols
>>
>>9232604
Thought about it, waiting to see wether or not they'll let us use firearms. What do if they don't?

>inb4 switch group
>>
>>9232648
bring a ship and cannons
>>
>>9232648
One very useful thing to do with a free hand is grappling, disarms, that sort of stuff. Of course, if your larp doesn't allow firearms, there's a good chance they won't allow that either...

There's also bucklers, I'd say those still fall under the purview of the "pirate" image.
>>
>>9224996
>>9228244
Jörn bist du das?
>>
>>9232871
no
>>
File: AS.jpg (104KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
AS.jpg
104KB, 720x960px
I was looking on pintrest but I couldn't find anything for an Anglo Saxon jacket, I also can't really find any vendor in the US for it. This is probably a stupid question, but are they wearing socks?
>>
>>9233983
Nada those are wraps. They serve several purposes. The main one is keeping the bottoms of you pants clean of mud. The British used them in both of the World Wars in the trenches.
As for the jacket that is unknown to me.
>>
>>9233983
>>9233993
legwraps are comfy, especially with big puffy pants

not so good if your village gets attacked before you've gone up in the morning though
>>
>>9233993
>>9234024
how does one go about making leg wraps?
>>
>>9234072
They are just lengths of wool with a clasp at the top.
>>
>>9234072
Take some comfy, thick, preferably dirt friendly color, resistant textile and just cut them in long pieces.

Length all depends on how much you want to wrap and how fat your lower legs are, but its typically twice as long as you would expect them to be.

They can also substitute for leg padding in case you are using plate greaves.
>>
>>9234072
About 3 meters of wool, approx. 10 cm wide. Don't get any other material. I've tried cotton once, doesn't work.
>>
>>9233983
As others have said, the items in question are leg wraps AKA winningas or puttees. They were also a part of late 19th/20thC military uniforms in many countries, and the Russians only phased them out completely a few years aso. They have a habit of coming unwound as you move about so most people either wear garters (as in the pic) or put little metal hooks to secure them.

However Anglo-Saxons did also wear naalbined socks coming up to the ankle some of the time. Wearing both keeps your feet nice and warm but does mean that probably want to wear the next size shoe up.

The jacket is a wrap-around "warrior coat", richly lined and pinned to the hip. It's actually much more of a Scandinavian fashion and the only evidence in Britain I can think of are on the Sutton Hoo Helmet plates (hence their inclusion in the photo), which makes sense as Sutton Hoo had significant Vendel influences and similar garments are seen on helmet plates there as well. The chap in the photo is a part of a group called Wulfheodenas, which recreate the Sutton Hoo and Vendel/Valsgarde grave finds.
>>
meanwhile some random news

https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/2016/10/24/tsa-discovers-checked-bag-suicide-vest-incendiaries-manual-and-two-guns
>>
>>9234652
What a retard.
I've traveled with my shit before, you just tell them ahead of time and show up early enough for them to check them.
Goddamn people
>>
Making something like a purity seal
on cotton fabric so it's a little more durable than paper.
what's good for writing on it?
from what I've read ink or fabric paint both work well. I was planning to go with fabric paint based on familiarity
>>
>>9234970

If it doesn't say sun's out guns out in Latin, you are not doing your job.
>>
>>9235868
well its definitely going to now.

Soles occidere et e tormentorum
is what Google says.
>>
>>9229777

I'm not quite sure of that group, especially if it's only a shire, but Meridias is actually pretty chill as a whole. Castle Wars is pretty fucking rad, it's fairly huge and almost everyone is more than open to letting people camp-hop (provided you're not a lech). The current rulers are pretty laid back, if not more laid back than anyone I've ever seen on the throne, but it makes me happy knowing they don't take it as hyper-seriously as others.
>>
>>9236665
From what I gather, VR was very bow/archery oriented like 7 years ago, but the shire ruling group chased all the serious people off, and now they are just begging for any numbers. VR covers north Georgia, Chattanooga, and Cleveland.

Based upon that opinion?
>>
>>9236944
All the serious people drive the two hours down to Atlanta and participate with the group there.
>>
>>9236134

I'd say it's closer to

Sol lucet arma revelari
>>
>>9236944

Based on what you said, they sound like complete shitters. Oddly enough, they're the polar opposite here, where they take it far too seriously and scare newcomers off because of it.
>>
Just got home from a scifi larp, pictures will come in the next few days or weeks somewhen.

in the meantime

>>9223809
just found this picture, shows you a properly fitted chainmail
>>
>>9239287
Yo, do you have the picture about the cute hungarians girls selling all kinds of bread?
>>
File: IMG097.jpg (455KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG097.jpg
455KB, 2048x1536px
>>9239467
yes
>>
>>9239478
Sweet thanks bro.
>>
>>9239478
QT3.14
>>
>>9239478
W-what are those white breads/buns? I must know.
>>
>>9239488
I shit you not anon, but it's bread
>>
>>9239498
The ones in front (The two little ones) seem something with butter and are too white and yellow to be simple bread.
>>
>>9239488
>>9239478
I'm no bread fucker, but it seems they just sell bread of different grains and ingredient contents.

this topic also triggered me a bit
>tfw that qt travelling bread girl was forced to quit because one nut allergic fucker got offended by her god tier home made medieval snickers
>tfw you will never stop her at the guard post to inspect goods and eat all her candy before she even entered town again

I got the recipe but its one of those snacks that only one person can be good at making ;_;
>>
>>9239503
the two plates of little ones?
those MIGHT be closer to being... "pogácsa" which I don't know what is in english, but still, mostly bread like home made bakrey goodies all of them. May or may not contain small amounts of human meat
>>
>>9239478
>tfw cosplay already but not good at acting IC but just want to go anyway for the historical atmosphere and cook stuff for people while I watch them have fun

T-That's a thing, right? I'd rather dress up as a plain old village girl and learn how to bake/cook traditionally than beat someone with foam weapons any day.
>>
>>9239510
contrary to popular beliefe fighting and adventuring is just a small part of the larp experience.
Being just a village girl is just as valid for a character idea as a fighter
>>
>>9239548
That does make me feel better. I think all I have near me is Civil War era stuff though which is all well and nice but a touch of fantasy is best.
>>
>>9239559
well, the whole truth is that the milage may varry depending on how retarded are the players and the organizers. So obviously there will be shit games (more on average in the US) but you can find a few good ones here and there
>>
>>9239559
IIRC it's well documented that civilians would show up to battles during the Civil War just to watch and have picnics. You could probably justify going to those to sell bread.
>>
>>9239559
>>9239510
I would actually prefer to see more non-fighting people to join larping than fighting ones since they make the area feel more alive and less stale and extends the roleplaying from just being "those guys beat us yesterday, so today we are going to beat them up with the help of some other pissed off guys!".
>>
>>9239591
Alright I definitely laughed because I never thought of it this way.
>>
>>9239510
Yes. You may want to looking into historic recreation group (basically a living history social club) like the SCA
>>
sup yall,

I want to get some opinions please,
what should I buy for my first weapon?

Price high but not crazy ateliers is a bit beyond me so I'm thinking Calimacil. Any other brands or weapons I should be looking at?

I'm thinking a one handed weapon
>>
>>9240099
Calimacil is pretty good bet, I'm not too big on their looks on some weapons (by God are they looking like kid's toys) but all in all they're pretty good. On the expensive side of the scale though. Not sure what country you're from, because after all, gotta support your local scene.
>>
File: KostuumIdeeënVoorWinterKamp.jpg (134KB, 845x468px) Image search: [Google]
KostuumIdeeënVoorWinterKamp.jpg
134KB, 845x468px
So guys I got a bit of a silly question, I'm a bit of a starter-up LARPer and I got myself my fair share of little baubles trinkets, knick-knacks and what have you to fun up some basic characters.
My problem is that I got some friends hyped for LARP, and now I sacrificed myself to help all of them out with some basic attires.
We'll be playing a little group of dirt-farmer peasants with the idea of Monty Python-esque costumes. But after sort of working up the plans for one or two people I'm kinda running out of steam already.

So does anybody here have any cool ideas to fun up a peasant costume besides the one fella with a tunic and IC pants. Got enough of those already.
>>
>>9240099
I wouldn't recommend calimacil as a first buy if you don't have experience with various weapons. Try out first what you want and throw out your money later
>>
>>9240299
Straw hats.

Wearing a sack with holes in it.

A shirt that's been patched with random coloured patches so many times it's a mystery what colour it originally was.

Obviously over- or undersized clothes.

Wearing patches of the local farmers' guild, with at least one member wearing it upside down.
>>
>>9240293

Australia, so local scene is pretty much non-existent. We've got one dude who runs a larp on the other side of the country and shipping from there is as bad as from anywhere else in the world. so probs around $75 dollaridoos per order.

He also imports heaps of epic armoury stuff and shills them hard. It makes me kind of distrust EA because this dude pushes so hard.

>>9240341
I've had a bit of a play with em and I liked the weight, but the looks are a bit gross for a lot of their swords. Anything you'd recommend looking into?
>>
>>9240461
if you are into swordcraft or otherr heavily battle oriented games then calimacil is a good choice as they are very durable.
I like the bellator but my personal favorite is a custome sword I bought with hybrid core so it isn't wibbly-wobbly.
>>
meanwhile, thread is in autosage so as usual here is the new one

>>9240492

>>9240492
>>
New here, how do i get into a larp group? Ive tried looking for one in my area but havent had any luck, i live in columbia sc btw
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 62

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.