[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey gulls When or where do you wear lolita? I've recently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 1

File: 1464766940476.jpg (631KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1464766940476.jpg
631KB, 667x1000px
Hey gulls
When or where do you wear lolita?

I've recently started buying pieces for my wardrobe, I have two full coords, but I never know when to wear them...

I only have one friend and she would probably think it was super weird if I dressed up when we went out.
It feels weird to dress up when I'm going out with my family.

As for when, I never feel like there's a good opportunity.
Going shopping? Feels to casual. Going to a restaurant? Don't want to spill on my shit.

The only time I feel like the only time it would feel normal to me would be during a convention or something, where there's other people dressed up, but that obviously shouldn't be the only time to wear it..
>>
People will think it's weird for any occasion. That's why it's alt fashion and not normie fashion. I wear lolita literally anywhere except if I have to work in the mud.
>>
>>9146152
I'm in the same boat anon. I never know where to wear lolita. I never have an occasion for it...
>>
I want to become a lolita, you say.
So become one, I reply.
What can I do to look like a lolita?
I have no words with which to reply to this.
You need a headdress, don't you? And a pannier.
Is this coordinate strange?
Is it not wrong for lolita?
Why do you want to do lolita?
Because it's trendy, because my friends do it...
If that's the case, you have no right to wear lolita.
If you just do what the others do, you will look like a lolita.
But I want you to think about something.
Who do you live for?
You think you want to be yourself, but you are afraid of isolation.
You yell that you want to be free, but you take comfort in following convention.
When you are praised for something you don't even feel comfortable with, are you really satisfied?
Girls who wear Vivienne Westwood but don't even know the Sex Pistols.
Even when wearing a jersey, a princess is a princess.
My lolita rules are mine alone.
So you are the only one who can find your own lolita rules.
My god and your god are different, aren't they?
There are angels who wear elegant dresses and play tamborines,
But there are also angels wearing armor and carrying swords whose job it is to fight.
I can't answer your question.
But there are a lot of hints all around you.
You just haven't noticed yet.
What you feel is right is your answer.
Sew frills onto the hem of your heart!
Put a tiara on top of your soul!
Have pride.
>>
>>9146152
>I feel like the only time it would feel normal
>normal
OP, do you know what alternative fashion is? If wearing something out of the ordinary outside of cons feels weird to you then you probably shouldn't get into alt. fashion.
>>
Whenever I feel like it, with exceptions for occasions where it would be inappropriate or really not appreciated (e.g. work, weddings, funerals, meeting up with aggressively normalfag family, etc.)
My in-laws love it so I practically always wear lolita when we visit them. I also usually wear it whenever I go out to do something fun like go to a nice cafe, shopping, zoo, museum, city trip, whatever. I don't normally go around spilling stuff on myself when I wear jeans to any of the above so why wouldn't I be able to wear lolita? Sometimes I feel like dressing up so I just wear it around the house, then remember I need to run some errands and end up wearing frills to the grocery store.

My style is very casual, though. Generally I only dress all the way to the nines for meetups. Never been to a con.
>>
You need to bite the bullet and just wear it. Look up how to do casual lolita if regular lolita feels too fancy (fyeahlolita's post on casual is pretty good, imo). But just WEAR IT.

It's the same with any alt-fashion. It's gonna feel a little bit weird and people are going to look at you funny, but if you don't wear it, you're never gonna get used to it and you're always going to be a convention lolita.

Forget about trying to be "normal" and just...fucking wear it.
>>
I never undersood why there are people who only wear lolita to con's actually. Unless there is a lolita fashion show or teaparty, isn't anything besides cosplay out of place at a con? If you don't cosplay, but still want to attend con's, it only makes sense to wear what you usually wear. If you don't usually wear lolita, I don't see why you would wear it to a non-lolita related event.
>>
Isn't there a lolita comm near you? They have met ups and everyone dresses up. Look on FB for a community near you.
>>
>>9146304
I know a poorfag conlita and she wears it like twice a year cause that's how long it takes her to put together a coord.
>>
>>9146304
Agreed. There are several girls in my comm who will only wear lolita to cons and wear jeans and hoodies the rest of the time, but claim they're not cosplaying because "lolita is a fashion, it's exactly like the people who wear t-shirts to the con!"
For a daily lolita maybe, but not for you guys who only ever wear it to the con. For you it's cosplay. Just admit it.
>>
>>9146382
It can't just become cosplay tho.
>>
>>9146304
I usually wear my coords to cons simply because I don't have an active comm that I'm a part of where I live. I don't feel comfortable enough to wear lolita out in public unless there's an event or meetup going on, so conventions make me feel safe. I really don't want to be bunched up with "conlitas" though, I want to find more opportunities to wear lolita.
>>
I'm a daily Lolita. All of my clothes but my PJs and workout clothes are Lolita.
>>
>>9146325
This still doesn't explain why she wears it to con's only, and why she doesn't wear the same main piece several times a year. Tough my comment is more about people who have a nice wardrobe and choose to mainly wear it to con's, and wear normie clothes the rest of the time. There are even girls who wear normie clothes when driving/taking the train to the con and change to lolita in the bathroom when they are there. Not even trying to start an argument on what makes a 'real lolita', but I'm genuinely confused why people do this. Is it because they're weebs and they want to wear something kawaii from animeland? If you're going to put so much time and money into wearing lolita to a con a few times a year, why not cosplay instead? If you really like lolita, why not wear the clothes more often?
>>
>>9146411
>describes conlita
>I-I'm not a conlita tho guys
>>
>>9146411
You feel unsave in lolita? Has anyone been attacked for wearing lolita in your area?
>>
>>9146152
I wear it everywhere I go out except to work. At first I was nervous to do so, I started out just wearing it on dates with my fiance, and within a few months of that I was wearing it daily. If you just do it you will quickly become more comfortable with it.
>>
>>9146182
<3
I cry erytiem
>>
>>9146423
I said I don't want to be one, which is why I'm actively trying to find more occasions to wear it. Never said I'm not one now.

>>9146434
Safe as in I feel most comfortable and accepted in lolita at conventions, not literally safe as in I'd be in danger elsewhere.
>>
>>9146417
I wish. I work in an office and there is no way I could do that.

Maybe someday...
>>
>>9146411
>>9146476
>Who do you live for?
>You think you want to be yourself, but you are afraid of isolation.
>You yell that you want to be free, but you take comfort in following convention.
>>
>>9146420
> Why not wear the clothes more often
some people are very shy. That's really it. There's no mystery.
>>
I wear lolita when I'm out shopping or whenever I feel like getting dressed up.
>>
Um, when you feel like wearing it? I just went out to go shopping with a friend and I'm wearing sailor because why not
>>
>>9146399
It is when you only wear it as a fancy costume for costume events.
>>
>>9146172
Reminds me of when I went shooting afew weeks ago, laying the muddy grass and rain; I was entirely covered in waterproofs except for my Baby headbow peeking out looking back at pics
>>
>>9146417
Do you have any comfy warm lolita house clothes and if so, recommendations for where to get some? I'm striving to wear lolita every day but so far haven't been able to part with the cozy oversized sweatshirt I acquisitioned from my bf's wardrobe. It's perfect for those days I just want to curl up on the couch and be toasty but it's not exactly elegant.
>>
>>9146152
I live in the suburbs and i wear it whenever i go to the city.
>>
>>9146605
burando cutsew OPs
>>
>>9146656
Are there any from sweatshirt material? The thinner t-shirt material most of my cutsews are made of just isn't warm enough.
>>
>>9146674
There are burando sweatshirts, but also, layering
>>
>>9146152

OP, what do your two beginner coords look like? Just looking at your pic I'm imagining veils, peignoirs, frillmonsters, princess sleeves, wigs, falsies, the works. If your coords are all coorded for cons, then I can imagine they're all too fancy for every day wear, which would explain why you feel overdressed for shopping and too precious for eating in.

If you go for the simpler coords you'll find they're easy enough to wear for shopping. Maybe you can try and put together a "shopping lolita" coord as your third coord, instead of just putting together coords for cons, which don't translate well for daily wear. As a hint, AP chiffon dresses are generally pretty easy to coord for summer. IW floral jsks with their own boleros work pretty well. Moitie florals generally only need the bare minimum to look elegant. Old school btssb dresses that Momoko wore (in Kamikaze Girls) are also pretty easy to wear naturally.

As for dinners, count the number of times you've actually sat down to dinner (not to cook) and spilled something on yourself, vs the number of times you didn't. Unless you're an absolute klutz, your chances of spilling anything on yourself aren't as high as your paranoia thinks.
>>
>>9146182
Amen.
>>
>>9146411
>>9146557
The mystery is, of all occasions, why at anime con's?
>>
>>9146586
When you guys say shopping, do you mean something besides clothing?
I feel like even if something was casual I'd still would not want to try on other clothes and then get back into my lolita gear...
>>
>>9146182
Just came to check this board out and I find this. Beautiful! I don't really cosplay but this applies to my life just as much. <333 ty xxxx
>>
>>9146989
Because Japan/kawaii shit, probably.
>>
>>9146989
>of all occasions, why at anime con's?
anime cons sort of became a default place for people to feel comfortable in alternative fashion. and since anime cons are basically japanese pop culture cons, people whose altfash has a japanese influence will feel more accepted there. people also wear their yukata and kimono to anime cons. if it is outside of the usual and Japanese, it will be "normalized" at an anime convention.
>>
>>9147031
Do those people like anime as well or do they go there simply to wear lolita? Don't cosplayers think it's weird?
>I've never been to a con
>>
>>9146989
Plenty of people wear J-fashion at Anime cons, because the general theme along with anime is J-culture. Most Anime Cons will also have J-culture panels for all kinds of things. An upcoming con in my state even has a J-culture category on the panel schedule. Including panels like Japanese Fashion, Japanese Figure Collecting, Japanese Cuisine, Japanese Music, Living in Japan, Learning Japanese, etc. There's also usually J-fashion shows at anime cons for people to show off their coords.
>>
>>9146989
Although they're labeled as "anime" cons, there is usually a ton of J-fash stuff included at conventions. I like anime but I like going in lolita because there's usually a tea party or fashion show going on there, too.

>>9147052
>Don't cosplayers think it's weird?
Lol wut.
>>
>>9147053
Okay I'm less confused now. I knew they had a lolita teaparty at anime matsuri(?) but they don't have those things at con's in my country. That's why I wondered if conlita's are just weeb's who want to wear kawaii dresses from japan.
>>
>>9147063
>That's why I wondered if conlita's are just weeb's who want to wear kawaii dresses from japan.

That would be called an ita, anon.
>>
In Shinjuku there's this department store with lots of Lolita/alternative fashion stores, but when you go to the guy floor it's just jeans, shirts/t-shirts... this stuff always depresses me as a guy.
>>
>>9147071
There are jfash styles for guys, you just need to know where and what to look for. Please do your research >>9094080
>>
>>9147071
Maybe that's why there are so many guys who wear lolita. But how is it relevant to this thread?
>>
>>9147071
fucking google "jfashion for guys" you absolute moutbreather
>>
Lately, I've only been wearing it to conventions. I do panels, I also usually do artist alley and make/sell accessories. It's better for me to wear it there rather than cosplay, which I dropped when I got into lolita several years ago. Plus, I feel extremely comfortable wearing it there and no comments aside "nice costume!", "Did you make it yourself?!" and occasionally having the chance to kindly inform them of the difference.

I keep being unable to make meets due to work, and my schedule never aligns with any friends. Less than enjoyable wearing it by myself: stares, comments, I just want to go about my business and be left alone. I normally dress in non-attention grabbing clothing. Lolita is really a social as well as a collecting hobby for me. I'm fine wearing it going out with friends but otherwise, eh. I just admire my collection or dress up my dress form.
>>
>>9146605
Not lolita i know, but on taobao and aliexpress there are plenty of super cute sweatshirts with strawberry, animal ears, sweets, cartoon characters, bows. I have cute sweatshirts at home to wear during winter because i was tired to wear ratty hoodies. Sometimes also AP does similar hoodies, not sure if they are warm enough. Check places like ToAlice and Cream Made on taobao.
>>9146304
This. If they don't want to wear lolita outside for a wark or going to cinema why they don't choose another jfashion style other than super normie t-shirt and jeans?I don't understand why many do this, i hate to wear normie stuff during the day, i just want to buy casual lolita or otome items to wear daily, if lolita is too much. Also, you can get easily otome, himekaji, mori, fairy items also in thift stores. I feel shy to wear full lolita in public but the options are infinite other than normie tees and hoodies with jeans all the time.
>>
Bite the bullet and wear it, anon. Here are a few tips:
Always consider comfort and safety. Wear it when you go to the mall. Yes, people will probably think you are overdressed, but that's alternative fashion for you. The important thing is that you won't be getting too much sweat on your clothes, and because the mall has security and staff you should be safe from muggers.

As for your friends and family, try easing them into the style by showing them pictures and telling them what you love about the fashion.

This is from experience. By now my friends, family, classmates and coworkers are all used to seeing me in unusual outfits. As for the safety aspect, I walk past a lot of people on the street so I just don't wear anything too fancy if I'm alone.
>>
>>9146989
This. Wouldn't everything get filthy? I'd be afraid of someone accidentally knocking something on me in the crowd
>>
>>9147346
Never had issues with people knocking something on me at a convention, even in large crowds. There's greater danger of me dropping shit on myself than there is from other people, honestly.

My biggest worry were the glompy homesteak type, but they're few and far between now.
>>
>>9147012

The key is to dress simply. A dress that you can take on or off fairly easily, a hairdo that you can tie or fix easily. One petticoat only. Minimal jewellery or wrist cuffs. Shoes that you can remove easily (pumps, ballet flats for eg). Very easy to take off and put on. It doesn't always need to look lazy either, a lot of onepieces are pretty ornate by themselves but have just a simple zip up the back, unbutton the waist tie instead of tying and untying. If you have nice hair, just letting it down (and tying it up to try on dresses) works pretty well.

Probably the only issue I can think of, you need to maintain decent natural looks --wearing a wig or resorting to heavy make-up instead of styling your hair and having nice skin makes it difficult to dress and undress. Aside from the urge to pile on lots of accessories because they're all so cute.
>>
I don't want to just be a conlita but there is no comm here and dudes pretty commonly get the shit kicked out of them for "looking like faggots" while the university does nothing. I fucking hate my town. I just want to wear what I want to wear.
>>
>>9147351
My most hated enemy is vendor tales with stapled on tablecloths.
>>
>>9147012
A dress, petticoat,blouse and tights is about the same effort as removing jeans, socks, tshirts etc, especially if they are fitted. A lolita dress just unzips and falls off because of how big the skirt is. I generally don't go clothes shopping more that twice a year and if I do it's usually t shirts I know fit. I have to admit I hate trying on clothes either way. I usually don't have any jewelry on besides maybe a stretchy bracelet, no crazy hairdo, no OTT headpiece, falsies, wigs or extensions to flap about with. I just go out like I'm out in normal clothes with minimal fuss, just inherently cuter.
>>
>>9147053
>>9147062
Not the person who was asking, but this explains a lot. In my country we have the opposite, "Japanese culture" cons that focus almost entirely on anime and cosplay. I once went to one with my weebier friend and as someone who is into certain aspects of Japanese culture but not anime, I was absolutely bored to tears. It also explains why everyone thought my lolita coord was some kind of magical girl meido cosplay and didn't realise that lolita is an actual Japanese street fashion and not just an anime trope.

>tfw a panel advertised as being about Japanese martial arts turned out to be a bunch of weebs LARPing as Naruto characters
I'm so jelly of you guys with legit Jculture conventions.
>>
I live out in the country and I'm labeled as the town weirdo anyway so no one really bothers me unless they're not from the area.
>>
>>9146152
you're not going to feel 'normal' in lolita until you start wearing it regularly. like anything new it takes some time to get accustomed to it. you can always give yourself a reason! take yourself on a date, go to an art gallery or a museum, take your favourite book to a nice cafe and read while you have a coffee or a pot of tea. literally anything can be an occasion if you want it to be.
>>
>>9147673
This, OP. You can do all these things with friends too. Just make sure to tell them that you're planning on dressing up and maybe offer to help them pick something nice out or lend them a cute purse or something.
>>9146304
I wore my best shot at OTT lolita to the last con because I didn't have any time to put together any cosplays and it was fucking depressing. It was just like how I normally dress but with more uncomfortable shoes and a wig. I had my photo taken a lot and stuff, but I still felt pretty out of the loop from all my cosplaying friends.
>>9146382
>For you it's cosplay. Just admit it.
this though. While no one should encourage going around like "look at my lolita cosplay!" there are definitely people who treat it like a costume and it's irritating. Lots of cosplayers think it's a kind of costume because of how people are at cons and that sucks.
>>
I dreamed of it since I was about 12. Unfortunately, I was a fat loli. Lolita clothing was nowwhere, and I was also a poorfag.

After working out personal shit, and taking a turn for the middle-class, I finally got rid of the eating disorder. Once I actually felt pretty, I wanted to dress pretty, too.

My first dress was a secondhand classic winter dress from taobao. I could just barely fit it, and accidentally fucked the waist-zipper(still useable, but I suspect the resale), but hey, I looked gorgeous.

One size later, I'm small enough to wear it and fit into most of Japan's M size. The Dream Dress was ordered form Baby a while back, and it fits like a dream. I'm so happy I'm no longer a fatass.
(Not saying fatasses can't look cute in lolita, being a fatass was linked to an eating disorder for me and made me feel like shit.)
>>
>>9147095
>>9147101
I'm just saying that here in Tokyo it's normal enough to have these clothes in normal department stores... can see lolitas walking around relatively often, but I've never seen a guy in boy-style (seen plenty of crossdressers though..) or a real life store for guys.

Dunno why >>9147161 is getting their panties in a twist
>>
>>9147673
I love doing the most boring and everyday things in lolita because I feel likeit just drives home the point to people that it is JUST a fashion you happen o be wearing as you go about your business. I hate it when people only see lolitas at meetup and when they try to explain it they make it seem more like some cult than JUST CLOTHES , reinforcing in people's minds that only weirdos dress differently or you have to be going to a fancy dress party. You must be 'up to something' or doing it for a specific reason just because you felt like wearing a nice dress.
>>
>>9147847
Same.
>heading to meet
>several lolita's in a bus just chilling
>other passenger asks where we're going
>try to tell him we're going to have a picnic
>only girl in the group who’s wearing OTT cuts in with "It's actually a Japanese street fashion based on historical Rococo and Victorian fashions meant to show young women's beauty in a traditionally Japanese cute or “kuh-way” rather than a western sexualized way and there are several Japanese brands that we buy from blablablabla also many of us dress like this eeevery day!!"
>he points to the cake pinned to her wig and asks if she really wears that every day
>"Yes!"
>uh no you don't
>he obviously doesn't believe her either and probably thinks we're in some crazy new-age virginity cult now
Really, I think saying we're going to have a picnic with friends would have sufficed. Only when people genuinely want to know more about the clothes do I tell them about brands or the origins of the fashion. Most people aren’t actually all that interested.
>>
>>9147859
Info-vomit is so embarrassing. It's always the most insecure girls who do it, too. Sorry you had to deal with that, anon.
>>
>>9147862
I never know how to deal with it when it's happening. Do I try to stop it? Do I just stand there and cringe? Do I distance myself and pretend I don't know the person, we just happen to both be dressed like cupcakes in the same location by coincidence?
Girls like that are usually completely incapable of taking a hint even if the person they're spewing at is clearly not interested and trying to get away. I'd say it's a form of autism, but the girls I know show no signs of ASD otherwise. Lolita defense-tism?
>>
>>9147867
Plain insecurity would be my guess. Maybe self consciousness, too. These girls have an arsenal of information and responses to use to explain their fashion choices to total strangers but they're so nervous about being dressed up in public and are so ready to be "judged" that they end up spewing it all at the first person who looks at them funny.
They're also usually the ones who tend to whine the most about people "being rude", even if the extent of said rudeness is simply stares - which may not be a very polite thing to do but understandable considering how eye catching the fashion is.
I don't think there's a lot to be done about it beyond maybe calmly explaining to them that oversharing information is unnecessary, and hoping that they'll grow out of it eventually.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.