[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's that time of year again. How many anons will be coming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

File: logo.png (30KB, 250x78px) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
30KB, 250x78px
It's that time of year again. How many anons will be coming to Anirevo in Vancouver this August? If anyone wants to set up a /cgl/ meetup there should be one.

For the anons going to Anirevo, what will you be cosplaying?
>>
No cosplay. Just go to relax. The career only life is tough
>>
Still waiting on a decent Vancouver convention to happen.
I put my eggs into the nihon fest basket and boy was I disappointed.
>>
>>9090347

Won't happen, the fact that something like AE has been running close to 10 years without any improvements says it all
>>
>>9090347
Anirevo's better than nothing provided the time of year. The only other large con nearby is Sakuracon
>>
Bump before thread dies
>>
>>9090421
Sakura con is just as such an unfortunate time for university students. Right during the onset of finals. I won't be able to go to Sakura con until next next year.

>>9090347
It's just really unfortunate. I want change to happen, and same with my friends. But what can we even do. AE is.... AE. And AR's poor organization and clueless hoards of volunteer staff drive me insane.

I've resorted to not going to AR. Not even ghosting, just upright not attending. It hurts me because this is the first year in about 8 or so years that I havent gone to a major con.
>>
>>9090631
I've only been to the con once, and I found it ok (it was my first time, though). What was your bad experience?
>>
>>9090636
Well, generally I feel like it's been going downhill. In terms of how staff/volunteer handle everything and the quality of the event.

>lolita tea party
I think this is a big problem against them. Though it's only about 30 people they are disappointing in comparison to the entire convention, it's still really critical for them not to fuck up. In which, they did. I don't want to write an essay, but pretty much the quality of the "tea party" was a poor location, tea bags, no special guests, for MORE money than in the past. In comparison to the past, a $50 ticket got you fairmont Pacific rim tea with two Japanese guests. What happened last year was about $65(?) and it was really poorly planned.
(props to the helpers who made it fun and enjoyable though!)

>staff and volunteers
Everyone wants to volunteer to get a free pass, I understand that. But when AR operates they pretty much exclusively have volunteers because they are for profit. This means there's a bunch of volunteers that just want to do minimal work, or "disappear" for a while. I have met a few super hard working volunteers who take their job seriously but they are the minority. I've had bad experiences with dealing with the volunteers.
Example: after lining up 1.5 hours for a panel, I finally get in. And I want to go to the washroom, but they said if I left I'd give up my seat. I assured them I'd return, my stuff was there and all, and I was even willing to trade my pass as a guaranteed I'd be back. But they were so rude, that I just left really pissed (to piss).

I can see if its your first time that the convention isn't too bad. But as someone who has been going for many years, there's a clear deterioration of quality.
>>
>>9090646
Last year's pass was $75 if I recall. I think the prices are also going up because of the depreciating CAD$. It's expensive, but I'll still attend because I don't have the time or devotion to leave Vancouver for a con.

On another note, how is Anime Evolution? I know it's smaller but I've never been there and they just moved venues
>>
>>9090646
Oh, wait. The tea party was $62. The event pass was $75
>>
Shameless self-bump again
>>
Does anyone actually want to meet up or are not enough people showing up?
>>
>>9090646
>staff and volunteers

My friend is on staff/volunteers for translation. He seems to be a hard worker as he's constantly attending these AniRevo meetings and worrying about doing things right; however, he admitted to me that he doesn't even like cons, much less anime. He said he's only doing it for the translation experience; not that there's anything wrong with that, but then there's a lack of interest and knowledge as to how to make the con better. It makes me wonder how many other volunteers are also just doing it for the experience. It's as if the people who actually care or know how to run a decent con won't touch it with a ten foot pole in this city. It's a shame because I'd like to support something local, and have another con besides Sakura Con to go to.
>>
>>9090815
Me too, I'd love to be proud of a local con. Maybe I'll lower my standards a bit and even just say I'm able to attend and enjoy a local con. I also knew a person who did translations for AR, but I think she was also in it for the experience because I had a feeling she never really was too fond of the anime/otaku culture in general.

People I've talked to who are ex-execs tell me that if I want change, then I should apply. But I know change isn't that black and white. I heard there's a lot of background drama in regards to getting guests, and being a part of the Japanese convention association or whatever.
>>
Bump for desperation
>>
>>9090963
True, at least we have a few to choose from. I wouldn't even have a problem forking out if there was an indication that things would improve, but here we are, several years later with nothing much to show for.

I spoke with Jeremy a bit at winter AniRevo earlier this year, and he seems super enthusiastic about making the con better; however, he lives in Kamloops and is also the president (?) of the anime club there. (I've lived in Kamloops and vaguely remember when he started getting into cosplay with his Dragon Ball Z crew, what a time that was.) This probably makes it hard to have a better connection with the community in Vancouver, and get a feel for what’s needed here.

SAK has connections with ANCEA, does AniRevo reach out to our local Japanese community? I didn’t realize there was a Japanese Convention Association here. A lot of the staff also seem to be younger (barely out of high school) so I think the team would really benefit from a handful of older people, or at least those with more experience, especially if they’ve travelled to other, bigger cons and have seen what they can and should like. I thought about volunteering, but the drama deters me as well.
>>
If anyone plays Monster Hunter X lets kill some stuff at AR.
>>
>>9090347

Anvil cons have been constant shitshows.

>>9090798

Wouldnt mind. Going in payday cosplay
>>
>>9100175
when and where?
>>
What is your personal favorite Vancouver con? Your least favorite?
I'm a bit biased now since I've been tabling the last few years but have been involved with cons here for 6 years (wtf time flies).
My favorites right now are Summerfest and VanCaf. Both I feel are pretty chill and VanCaf has a ton of beautiful artists since entry is judged. And Summerfest is always very well organized.
When it was still alive I really enjoyed Cos & Effect but RIP in pieces.
>>
>>9100627

I haven't been keeping up but did cos & effect implode or something?
>>
>>9100660

CosAndEffect was a holdover con until NWFF took over. NWFF was also proof that no anime cons should ever be held at Anvil. It is the place where hopes and dreams go die.

>>9100627

AR has my top go to con thanks to it being the closest thing we have to being a Summer ver of Sakuracon. Good merch booths, decent photo spots. Least favorite would be NWFF Anvil Edition. Nihon only scraped by since the cover dance groups kept me entertained

>>9100604

How about we meet up after the LL! Photoshoot on Sat? I will post details
>>
>>9090798
I'd go. I'll be cosplaying (glasses+braids) Homura in the school uniform with a Madoka,
>>
>>9100627
I used to table at AE and C&E in the past, great times behind the table vs outside. Nowadays I really enjoy VANCaf (attending only), Summer fest (attending/tabling), and MiniComi (tabling).

I got to check out AR last year through a friend, but it was pretty disappointing for the price you pay, especially seeing AA. I wish artists were more honest about their experience at AR, I can't imagine making back my table coats there.
>>
>>9100945

As an AA fan, I do fine AR have the biggest selection.
>>
>>9100868
What's an LL? I'm a bit new to cons

I think a Sat afternoon shoot will be good? Post the details and times.
>>
>>9102192

Love Live Photoshoot. There are two of them. One of them is the Marine one and the other is the regular one.

Time schedule for both is 2:00 to 4:00 for the Marine one and 10:30 for the first one
>>
>>9103154
post the location and time for the meetup then
>>
It will be on Saturday at 5pm for the shoot
>>
>>9097927
Yes please! No one seems to be playing in my town (0 guild cards so far other than one friend).

>>9090798
I'd come to a meetup.
>>
>>9109212
This. Let's make this a meetup time.
>>
bump for meetup
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.