[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm undertaking an exercise in pain and I figured you guys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: gradient.png (19KB, 456x424px) Image search: [Google]
gradient.png
19KB, 456x424px
I'm undertaking an exercise in pain and I figured you guys would know the most about it. I'm trying to dye a shirt in gradiated monochrome levels, but ideally it would be done with precise, clear lines to each level. Something like pic related.

I've seen a lot of batik style tutorials, but has anyone made dye-paints? Possibly using some sort of thickening agent (flour? Cornstarch?) to make the dye solid enough that it doesn't bleed into the surrounding fabric while it stains. Your tutorials have silk paints, but that's not really what I'm looking for. Maybe I could just put a resist on a huge block of the fabric at a time, carefully dye no further than that line, and wash it out and repeat as needed?

If that's fucking stupid, please just suggest to me your best dyes to use for a man's dress shirt, and I'll easy mode hombre the thing I'm trying to figure out. I have some fabric scraps I'm going to be testing this out with to start anyhow.

...also if I'm dying a shirt, I probably have to watch out for the buttons, don't I? Fuck.
>>
what the fuck

i ain't reading this off topic wall of text

go to help thread or something
>>
>>9051610
tl;dr

can i make dye paint??

what's gud dye?

Also I didn't see a help thread, my bad.
>>
>>9051604
I actually learned how to do that in a class in college but it's been so long I can't remember if the dye was mixed with anything to make it not run. All I remember is painting the fabric with the batik dye and then throwing it in the microwave to set it.

I think the most precise way would be to silkscreen or digitally print on the fabric first and then make a shirt out of it.
>>
>>9051614
I have almost no sewing skill to speak of, so it's outside the realm of possibility for me to just sew up a wearable shirt right now.

Was the microwaving specific to that dye, or is it a thing?
>>
>>9051604

You answered your own question, bruh

> put a resist on a huge block of the fabric at a time, carefully dye no further than that line, and wash it out and repeat as needed?

Except what you want to do is:

Dye from light to dark, resist as you go.

ie:
1. Put down the lightest dye
2. Put down a solid resist line/block
3. put down the next (darker) dye
4. repeat 2 and 3 until you have all the levels you need
5. process the fabric (steam, nuke, set the dye, remove the resist, etc)
6. Yay
7. Enjoy

If you prefer the tie-dying method, same deal, put down the lightest dye and tie off each lighter area as you go, progressively getting darker.

Take the buttons off the shirt and resew them when you're done. Google for tutorials on how to sew buttons if you need that much help.
>>
>>9051649
Huh, okay, cool. I wasn't sure if it'd be functional. Thank you!
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.