[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it "frowned up" to cosplay as someone from something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: kittenpika.jpg (51KB, 1300x960px) Image search: [Google]
kittenpika.jpg
51KB, 1300x960px
Is it "frowned up" to cosplay as someone from something you don't read / watch / play?
>>
>>8975994
*frowned upon
>>
People definitely bit cheaper about it, but who cares. At least check a wiki so you can recognize others from the thing you vosplay, and don't be a duck if people want to talk about it with you.
>>
>>8975994
I'm gonna be honest but I've done it before and I don't really care what people think. My friends want me to match with them, so I go "fuck yeah man"
However I do suggest looking at their wiki page or at least maybe watching some compilation clips with that character on youtube.

If someone tries to ask you about the character, say that you just got into the series recently and are still trying to catch up.
>>
>>8976063
>If someone tries to ask you about the character, say that you just got into the series recently and are still trying to catch up.

Little warning tho: this works really well. People maybe be disappointed for a few seconds. But if they really love the series, they'll go really quick in all a hyper mode, and give you all kinds of reasons why the serie is awesome and why you should definitely stick with it.This can be either annoying or really cute (depens on who you talk to).
>>
>>8975994
I think its pretty bad to do that, with some characters like Harley Quinn you become a basic attention whore, with some less known ones you're kinda pass?
Keeping on with the Harley example, so many girls from my comm are saying they love her and wanna cosplay her because of Suicide Squad but I know some who have never even touched a Batman movie, let alone comics or animated series.
>>
Why would you want to though? Isnt it more satisfying to being a character you actually know about and possibly connect with to life via cosplay, as opposed to cosplaying a character just because you like the aesthetic?

I dunno, you do you, man.
>>
As long as you want to, bur I'd suggest that you at least gain some knowledge about it. Specifically for posing, if you know nothing about a character other than it's design, it's gonna look off in photo's.

If anything, look for clip compilations to get a basis of character, glance through a wiki to know other characters, and just scroll through pictures till you get enough poses in your head.
>>
>>8975994
If it's some comic book character you can get away with it. If it's from anime hell no, you have NO business cosplaying anime/manga you haven't watched/read. More than frowned upon, I'll despise you if you do this with anime/manga. But like I said if it's with a comic book or maybe even mainstream game character, it's fine.
>>
Nobody cares, do whatever you want. Literally nobody will know unless youre shouting that you dont watch/play the series.
>>
>>8977136
Hey are you that purity of anime guy from the /cgl/ friend thread
>>
>>8977207
Nope I'm 100% female and never been in the friend thread. I'd really love to meet this guy though.
>>
Seems like a lot of time, money and resources to cosplay a character you don't know.
>>
>>8977136
imagine being this autistic
>>
>>8976897
Eh, I agree and disagree with this. On one hand I find it kind of odd to dedicate a cosplay to a character you aren't really into/don't know, and ESPECIALLY just to dress sexy and get attention using something you know nothing about.
But on the other hand, I don't begrudge someone for not being the "die hard fan". If you only knew Harley from SS, that's cool. I know theres going to be a lot of deadpools who have never even picked up a comic before thanks to the new movie, but if that's what got them into the character then that's totally fine in my opinion.

In the end though, I think it just chalks up to just be real with people about it. If someone wants to talk to you about it, just tell them "Hey I'm not a huge fan of the series, I just liked the character."
>>
If you don't know the character, than how can you present yourself with the mannerisms of the character to pull off being character?
Interpreted, you need to have consumed some of the media that character is in to know how character would act.
>>
>>8980769
Agreed. As long as they like the character, I don't care how they found out about said character.
>>
kind of a related topic: how do you guys feel about someone cosplaying something before the source material it's from is released? i'm working on a cosplay for a character that's coming out this summer because i love the series, but i was wondering what the general opinion of that is
>>
>>8984460
I've based costumes on the "SHIT I NEED THAT OUTFIT" factor rather than the I-love-this-character factor, so I don't think it's a big deal. It's just showing how hyped you are for the new thing.
>>
>>8977136
You must be fun at parties.
>>
>>8984460
I've cosplayed from movies that hadnt come out yet and a friend of mine did Free before it came out. I think its fine. If its hyped people will get it and if not you can hype them up if they ask.
>>
>>8975994
Only if you know enough info to get around certain questions people will ask you about the media you're cosplaying from.

Basic shit like the character's name and what they're from is mandatory, because you're going to look incredibly dumb/douchey if you just say "lol I saw the outfit and thought it looked good so I bought it". May as well just buy jfashion instead of a cosplay.

Having a favorite/least favorite moment, a favorite quote, knowing the character's personality, friends/enemies, and potential love interests all make you seem like you went through the entire media even if you actually didn't.

When I was an incredibly cringey weeb at 14 I googled for brunette anime girl characters because I thought I could pick one and cosplay as her without wearing a wig. I picked one from a PS3 game I never played and even though I didn't play it I still looked up as much info about her and her relevance to the story she was in just so it could seem like I played the game just to have stuff to talk about with other people. Later at the convention I had a few nice conversations with guys that recognized the character and everything went fluidly enough that they were none the wiser.

Just try to do a little research beforehand so you don't make an ass of yourself and you'll do fine.
>>
>>8984460
What >>8984599 said, Free was just like that and honestly I miss the pre-release days. There was a lot of fun with speculation and making stupid jokes.
>>
>>8975994
Only by prudes. It's always a sting of disappointment when I see someone who may share my same interest but they only liked the design, but it's still nice knowing they at least liked something about it.

But as long as they look nice and/or are having fun who cares.
>>
>>8984460
I actually did that for Quiet (MGSV) as soon as her 360 render was released. It was so early people kept thinking I was Sheva from Resident Evil or Lara Croft.

I see nothing wrong with it. It's only a problem if you have some sort of FIRST mentality.
>>
File: 1452885178264.gif (1006KB, 256x199px) Image search: [Google]
1452885178264.gif
1006KB, 256x199px
>>8975994
Back when i first started cosplaying due to my ex gf, it really bothered me, but its been about 8 years since i began cosplaying and ive realized that its not that big of a deal. If you look good and think itll be fun, do it.

If you cosplay a character i like from a series i like and arent garbage, good on ya. Shit i dont even care if youre garbage tbqhwy. Beware of autists that may want to spew about the fandom/series with you though. I normally just say "hey, _____!" and keep walking. Maybe even a pic, but i dont tend to pester ppl. Shit is awkward.

>>8976063
This is a really good example. 9 /10 times ppl cosplay things they dont watch/play because friends want to do a cosplay group, which is fun and fine. Dont let butthurt sperglords ruin your fun familia.

>>8977136
prime example of a sperglord right here btw
>>
>>8985256
Someone even made a fan made VN based on the Swimming animu trailer. It's quite good for what is is
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.